What are you reading ATM

Dawn

"Three Books of Occult Philosophy" by Agrippa.

I know I can do it! If I could read the entire "Divine Comedy" this should be kids stuff right? ha

How do you like Aprippa?. I have been interested in getting this book for a while now but heard its a tough read.

I have been in contact with Fields bookstore about Lux H. and they have a few copies in stock for $125. I am wondering if you would say it is worth the price. I had gotten the mail order pamphlet about it last November to preorder the book, and remember it being about the witches eye or evil eye. However, I got the sense that it went a lot deeper than just a historical account of different cultures use of it. Unfortuantely, I was in the process of buying and moving house so I wasn't sure where I would be at the time the book shipped so I did not order it. but would you say $125 is a good price for it. I know most Xoanon books once out of print spike up close to $1,000.

Hey - I did finally get mine (the girls at the front desk were so excited and even the postman at work came in to tell me my "package" had finally arrived, lol).

It does hit on the evil eye, but it is much more about the "sight." It is definitely very different from Schulke's other books. I have read through it once, and am now going through it again with a note-book and making notes of my interpretations in "English" lol (it is written in the usual Xoanon way of writing). It also has a story running through it every couple chapters. The chapters build on each other in a specific way that I had not first noticed until I started writing bits down in the notebook.I very much like it, but it depends on your pocket - it is not cheap. VU is still my favourite, but that may change as I keep working with it, lol.

M

M

ooh I ordered a book on amazon a few weeks ago called "the witches guide to life" by kala trobe and it came in the post last night.

anyone else read it?

w.

x x x

I suppose Winter finished this book a long time ago, but I am reading Kala Trobe's 'Witch's Guide to Life' right now as well. It is an okay read. It would be great for a seeker who has read a couple of fluffy bunny books and flung them aside in disgust, but isn't quite ready for 'Treading the Mill' just yet! The book provides an engaging overview of all sorts of aspects of witchcraft, although it must be said, it is mostly from a Wiccan-ish point of view.

The Fire and Ice series by George R R Martin.

Regards,

Gypsy

Oh - I'm reading those... Books 1, 2,3 were great. Book 4 lost me a bit, but a fellow at work is also reading them and he says book 5 gets right back into the swing of it, so I will keep reading book 4, lol. The only thing that gets to me is there are soooooo many characters, that with each new chapter (switching characters) I have to go back like 6 chapters to remember where that person last was...

M

George R R Martin.

The only thing that gets to me is there are soooooo many characters, that with each new chapter (switching characters) I have to go back like 6 chapters to remember where that person last was...

Why I quit reading him after the first couple of books in one of his series. Just too much to keep track of.

Oh - I'm reading those... Books 1, 2,3 were great. Book 4 lost me a bit, but a fellow at work is also reading them and he says book 5 gets right back into the swing of it, so I will keep reading book 4, lol. The only thing that gets to me is there are soooooo many characters, that with each new chapter (switching characters) I have to go back like 6 chapters to remember where that person last was...

M

book 5 definitely doesn't get back in the swing of things... it was honestly almost as awful as book 4. i.e. just a whole bunch of traveling (with almost no one reaching a destination), a whole lot of "doublet-describing" and menu planning. Seriously, a good quarter of the book was describing either what the characters were eating/drinking or what they were wearing. And there were like, 13 jon chapters and 3/4 of them read like to-do lists or shopping lists. I was really disappointed in A Dance With Dragons. :\

And i definitely agree on the "too many characters" thing - especially when most of the POVs don't really have a point.

I think my biggest issue with A Song Of Ice & Fire is the fact that ... i read fiction&fantasy for a reason. If I wanted to see horrible things happen to good people and "bad" people always triumph, I'd just pick up a newspaper.

Edited by ashley

I read about 10 or so chapters of A Game of Thrones this morning but I wasn't particularly enamoured by it. I even skipped a couple of chapters (which I've never done before, as no matter how bad a book is I have to read it through to the end). But this could be because I was reading it on a computer screen and I was really tired at the time. Although I do agree that there are too many characters and too many sub-plots going on; it gets quite messy which leads to you never learning anything of value for the story to progress forward.

When HBO did the Series for television, they followed the books quite nicely, I thought, from recollection. They had to change some things due to the Series would not be well accepted due to some of the ages of the characters. Yes indeed there are alot of characters.

Regards,

Gypsy

Oh - that is a shame. The first 3 books had been so good. If I slog on to the end of number 5, will I at least find out what happens to everyone or do they levae it all up in the air?

M

Pretty much everyone ended in a cliffhanger in book 5; one of the characters is missing, one of them (my favorite) might be/is dead (don't know for sure) ... you'll find out what happens to some of the people from book 4, but for the first eight hundred pages or so (I read in e-book, not sure how many print pages) you don't get any of the characters from book 4 - the timeline of the first 3/4 of the book is supposed to run parallel to A Feast For Crows.

@Celtic; I was actually hoping HBO would change more things than it did. I know that Ned had to die to further the plot, but I was really hoping HBO would find some way around it. Like killing Catelyn instead.

Edited by ashley

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much everyone ended in a cliffhanger in book 5; one of the characters is missing, one of them (my favorite) might be/is dead (don't know for sure) ... you'll find out what happens to some of the people from book 4, but for the first eight hundred pages or so (I read in e-book, not sure how many print pages) you don't get any of the characters from book 4 - the timeline of the first 3/4 of the book is supposed to run parallel to A Feast For Crows.

@Celtic; I was actually hoping HBO would change more things than it did. I know that Ned had to die to further the plot, but I was really hoping HBO would find some way around it. Like killing Catelyn instead.

Well I broke down and downloaded book 5 to the Kindle and have started it... google says there are supposed to be 7 books but books 6 and 7 aren't written yet :-(

M

Finishing up A Dance with Dragons (book 5 in the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series) and starting Daughters of the Witching Hill.

Re-reading T. Thorne Coyle's Evolutionary Witchcraft

Still making my way through Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom

Couldn't help but pick up Sasha Graham's Tarot Diva which surprisingly has a lot more substance than the title, cover, and a few of the chapters would have you think.

Practical Magic, the book , is SO different from the film, I found it almost unrecognisable.

Perfect timing for me to read this thread. I was wondering about that.

• 5 weeks later...

Currently, I am flipping amongst the following, trying to read a little out of at least one of these every day/or at least, within the week...

The Inner Sky ~ Steven Forrest

Projection of the Astral Body ~ Muldoon & Carrington < a reprint of the 1929 original>

Numerology and the Divine Triangle ~ Faith Javane & Dusty Bunker

Chanting~ by Robert Gass <one I've had on my shelf and am trying to get through..it's kind of dry reading>

PDFs I had purchased on CD<see book review for specifics..lol>

I've been keeping myself busy..lol

happy reading, folks :)

~Anara

• 3 weeks later...