Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Guest Elfyd

No, of course I wouldn't discount the entire book because of a type-o, lol. It's just one of my pet peeves.....I expect a publisher, when charging such high prices for their product, to take more care with their proofreading. **shrug**

I can easily forgive the typos etc. in Capall Bann books.

FFFF

Elf

No, of course I wouldn't discount the entire book because of a type-o, lol. It's just one of my pet peeves.....I expect a publisher, when charging such high prices for their product, to take more care with their proofreading. **shrug**

Just curious, which copy of L.H. do you have, the deluxe or standard? I reached pg 21 of the standard edition last night and didn't identify any spelling errors (lol, your post was stuck in my head). Daniel did use an older form of "ancient" (capitalized, when referencing the "Antient Mirror"), along with a modern spelling on the same page but in general reference that time. The old form isn't seen often anymore; most common reference now that I'm aware of is in regards to Freemasons, as in "Antient Free & Accepted Masons". Is that the error you were referencing? (As I said in another post, I'm fairly OCD about spelling also, but I was rather tired when reading L.H. last night)

I'm currently reading The Un-Spell Book: Energy Essentials for Mastering Magick by Mya Om.

This is the first book I have ever found that explains, in terms that I can understand, how to cast spells without relying on ritual and what people are talking about when they say 'will' and 'focus', and how to raise, manipulate and transform energy for spells (it's a LOT easier and natural than I thought it was, and I've actually been doing this my whole life without realizing it!). Then, AFTER explaining how spellwork works, she gets into details about basic candle magick, sympathetic magick, divination, etc. Very broad and open stuff, and very open to personalization.

The author herself is Wiccan. She mentions this several times, because a lot of the examples she uses are derived from her experiences and practice, but she insists that it is only for demonstration, and that, as spellcasters and witches in general, we should really focus on what's best for us.

I definitely recommend this to people who are starting out, but don't want a bunch of religious mumbo-jumbo gumming up the works.

Guest Elfyd

IM,

Bravo to you for mentioning the wiccan source, I personally do not care the that your inspiration came from "those people" just that it works for you.

FFFF

Elf

IM,

Bravo to you for mentioning the wiccan source, I personally do not care the that your inspiration came from "those people" just that it works for you.

FFFF

Elf

Well, I wouldn't call them 'those people' (sounds a bit finger-pointy to me). I'd just call them Wiccans! Not my belief-system, but I get information from wherever I can get it. :P Basic energy work seems pretty universal to me.

Edited by Ilexys Morighanan

Guest Elfyd

Well, I wouldn't call them 'those people' (sounds a bit finger-pointy to me). I'd just call them Wiccans! Not my belief-system, but I get information from wherever I can get it. :P Basic energy work seems pretty universal to me.

The "finger pointing" was not mine, I was referring to a general TW approach of distain and even hostility to things "wiccan' hence the "those people" in inverted commas.

FFFF

Elf

The "finger pointing" was not mine, I was referring to a general TW approach of distain and even hostility to things "wiccan' hence the "those people" in inverted commas.

FFFF

Elf

Ah, okay. I see where you're coming from. :)

I can easily forgive the typos etc. in Capall Bann books.

FFFF

Elf

yeah, its the pages which fall out that you grow to love too. ;)

Just curious, which copy of L.H. do you have, the deluxe or standard? I reached pg 21 of the standard edition last night and didn't identify any spelling errors (lol, your post was stuck in my head). Daniel did use an older form of "ancient" (capitalized, when referencing the "Antient Mirror"), along with a modern spelling on the same page but in general reference that time. The old form isn't seen often anymore; most common reference now that I'm aware of is in regards to Freemasons, as in "Antient Free & Accepted Masons". Is that the error you were referencing? (As I said in another post, I'm fairly OCD about spelling also, but I was rather tired when reading L.H. last night)

It was the "Antient" Mirror that I was referring to. I had no idea that this was an older spelling of the word....my bad, I suppose. ;)

Currently reading Douglas Watt's "Testament of a Witch". Fictional account of trials outside Edinburgh, but he's done oodles of historical research. It's one in a series of crime novels, featuring a lawyer and his assistant. Decent enough read, actually :D

Hi All!

I'm in the middle of two books, The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen, a Austen-esque story which is light & lovely, though I wish I could use the herbal knowledge in it more. I'm also reading Magical Housekeeping by Tess Whitehurst, which is really helping inspire me to get my apartment in order!

I'm about to start Kathleen Kent's "The Heretic's Daughter" about Sarah Carrier, and her mother Martha in Salem...:)

Just downloaded The Laxdæla Sagas as I'm watching a series on tv about them and they sound really good.

Just downloaded The Laxdæla Sagas as I'm watching a series on tv about them and they sound really good.

There was a programme recently on the BBC (UK) about the sagas. It was fantastic viewing.

Hi All!

I'm in the middle of two books, The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen, a Austen-esque story which is light & lovely, though I wish I could use the herbal knowledge in it more. I'm also reading Magical Housekeeping by Tess Whitehurst, which is really helping inspire me to get my apartment in order!

Oh - I loved the Apothecary's Daughter!!

M

It was the "Antient" Mirror that I was referring to. I had no idea that this was an older spelling of the word....my bad, I suppose. ;)

You know I'm still waiting for mine, lol ... (drums fingernails on table top)

M

There was a programme recently on the BBC (UK) about the sagas. It was fantastic viewing.

That'll be the one, we have a long list of things to watch we've recorded (sky+)

:beerchug:

You know I'm still waiting for mine, lol ... (drums fingernails on table top)

M

I would think you should definately have your Lux by now, Michelle. Have you considered sending the good folks at Xoanon a letter?

I would think you should definately have your Lux by now, Michelle. Have you considered sending the good folks at Xoanon a letter?

I've seen a few others on the 'net saying they're still waiting, too, so I will give it a few more weeks then perhaps facebook them :-) I sent off my order rather late in the game, so if they go by "first bought, first shipped" I will probably be among the last batch sent out form the book-binders, lol.

M

I've seen a few others on the 'net saying they're still waiting, too, so I will give it a few more weeks then perhaps facebook them :-) I sent off my order rather late in the game, so if they go by "first bought, first shipped" I will probably be among the last batch sent out form the book-binders, lol.

M

I sent my payment off around Feb. 15th, I'm not sure how late in the game that was, but I've had mine for a few weeks now.

I need a decent horror book...any suggestions?

I don't know if this is horror or thriller, but I loved 'The Shinning', it was really, really creepy - I tried to watch the film afterwards, but I couldn't get into it as it had half the story missing! A real shame as I love Jack Nicholsen! (sp?!! lol!)

I know loads of people love this film though!

what kind of horror are you looking for? Ghost type deal? Fantasy horror? serial killer horror? how graphic do you want it to get? Because there is an author Poppy Z. Brite who wrote a book called Exquiste Corpse and it is both graphic nad horrifying. Its about two serial killers who meet and terrorize New Orleans. However, it is full of male on male sex, and some of it is very graphic sex turns to cannibalism, and necrophilia. It definetly kept me up at night, sometimes from the fright and sometimes from nausea.

The bible? Rape, incest, torture, deomns, plagues, monsters, doomsdays... it's every Steven King novel all wrapped up into one nice, affordable package :-D

M

Sign in to follow this