Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Just finished This is Gonna Hurt by Nikki Sixx....excellent book, amazing photography (done by NIkki..a bit morbid at times, and macabre...but amazing). Looking forward to getting his first one...The Heroin Diaries...soon.

Currently reading Condensed Chaos by Phil Hine, which is an introduction to Chaos Magic. So far, it's interesting (I am, after all, a practical person) but I haven't yet gotten to the meat of it.

Currently reading 'Treading the Mill' and have got some downloads on chaos magic to read on my iPhone (useful when I have a bit of time alone while out and about).

Guest Elfyd

Currently reading 'Treading the Mill' and have got some downloads on chaos magic to read on my iPhone (useful when I have a bit of time alone while out and about).

Gramayr,

If you like Treading the Mill then I would suggest trying both "Secrets of East Anglian Magic" and "Call of the Horned Piper".

Just a thought.

FFFF

Elf

I am reading The Core Of Fire, and The Handbook of Yoruba Religious Concepts.

I have found the handbook to be easier to get into because of the style of writing. The core of fire is good too, but the writing is a bit stilted and obtuse.

For fun I am reading Angelique's Descent (a Dark Shadows novel) by Lara Parker. This is about the 4th time I've read it. I love Dark Shadows and Angelique has always been one of my favorite characters.

I love Dark Shadows and Angelique has always been one of my favorite characters.

Barnabas ... and Quentin ... yummmm. (I am, of course, referring to the original DS television series.)

I cut my teeth on the original series. I love Lara Parker, and am really happy that she has been writing the Angelique novels lately.

But I do enjoy the 1991 revival series they did. Maggie and Angelique were my favorites in that as well.

Sun Tzu's - The Art of War.

I haven't read properly in ages and since joining this forum I have a book list as long as my arm. But I do have the advantage of an "esoteric" library in town so I will be signing up there tomorrow so that I can get some good reading done without hurting my back account too much!

Guest Elfyd

Sun Tzu's - The Art of War.

I haven't read properly in ages and since joining this forum I have a book list as long as my arm. But I do have the advantage of an "esoteric" library in town so I will be signing up there tomorrow so that I can get some good reading done without hurting my back account too much!

Midnightblue,

I would appreciate your thought on "The Art of War", it has been at the back of my mind for some time now, the sheer size of the thing "Said the actress to the Bishop" gives me pause. Another book from old China has been calling me too, "A Record of the Long Journey to the West" (forget the author) are tou familiar with this?

FFFF

Elf

Midnightblue,

I would appreciate your thought on "The Art of War", it has been at the back of my mind for some time now, the sheer size of the thing "Said the actress to the Bishop" gives me pause. Another book from old China has been calling me too, "A Record of the Long Journey to the West" (forget the author) are tou familiar with this?

FFFF

Elf

It is definitely worth a read, also it is quite easy to read as it is more like a collection of proverbs, the version I bought flows very well and is the kind of book you can just dip into;

http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalog/items/isbn/978-1-59030-743-4.cfm

I bought that copy because of the credentials of the translator, the other copy the shop had I was concerned would be a bit fluffy!

Some of the sections are purely about warfare and therefore while interesting, aren't particularly relevant to modern day life. But there are some very good sections on knowing yourself and your enemy and lulling them into a false sense of security, the kind of thing that is quite relevant.

I haven't read any other Chinese literature, I picked The Art of War up because I'm going into politics and thought it would be useful! I will probably give the other book you mentioned a look at some point.

But yes, definitely worth checking out.

I Will Fear No Evil, Heinlein

One of my favourite "non-witchy" books. Don't let the title fool you - it's a great novel... but I don't want to spoil it!

Life crisis alert....my book shelf collapsed a week ago! I'm now negotiating around assorted stacks all over the floor, until I get a replacement "storage solution". Back on topic - Gallow's Curse by Karen Maitland, a raft of gypsy/traveller biographies since watching the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding series, and The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, self-explanatory.:)

Cinder blocks and pine planks - strong, cheap, and you can add on to them easily - never a problem with the sstore no longer carrying that "model."

M

Finally received my copy of Lux Haeresis,yesterday! (yay) I haven't read enough, yet, to comment on the content, but I am a little pissed off to have already found a type-o on page 21.......at that price.....really? grrrrrrr :rolleyes_witch:

I'm now reading some classic sci-fi, Arthur C Clarke's "Against the Fall of Night."

I bought a book on runes yesterday and promptly took it back today!

Guest Elfyd

I'm now reading some classic sci-fi, Arthur C Clarke's "Against the Fall of Night."

I bought a book on runes yesterday and promptly took it back today!

Careful in getting rune books, there are too many of 'em. So many different types of runes does not help, there are those here that can assist you in a good source of info for runes and I appeal to those people.

FFFF

Elf

'fraid on an impulse I've bought and downloaded electronic versions of 'Utterly Wicked' (kindle version) and The Element Encyclopaedia of 5000 spells (iBooks version) onto my phone. Started reading these when the kids have a snooze etc.

The first of my many witchcraft books has arrived, so I will be starting "The bathhouse at midnight: an historical survy of magic and divination in Russia" by W.F. Ryan, this afternoon.

I am re-reading "The Book" ie my own scribblings...in need of an update, methinks. And I've got a pile of herbal remedies to note down...it's going to be a BIG chore.

Guest Elfyd

Currently reading Condensed Chaos by Phil Hine, which is an introduction to Chaos Magic. So far, it's interesting (I am, after all, a practical person) but I haven't yet gotten to the meat of it.

MW-

Can you give an update and/or personal review of the condensed Chaos? I have heard some good things about Phil Hine but never read same.

FFFF

Elf

Guest Elfyd

Treading the Mill is one of my fave magic books, this along with Secrets of East Anglian Magic form the core of much of my view of practial outlook on the (B)TW praxis.

FFFF

Elf

MW-

Can you give an update and/or personal review of the condensed Chaos? I have heard some good things about Phil Hine but never read same.

FFFF

Elf

I have not read the aforementioned book, but I have read his series on urban shamanism, thanks to a few links that Droghon provided. I really enjoyed his writing style and would absolutely read more from him.

Still working on PharmakoGnosis, and just started on Lux Haeresis (didn't get very far yet due to the wicked storm that hit Pennsylvania the other night).

Speaking of, while I sent my family to hide out due to pending tornadoes in the area, I found myself watching the birds dart here and there through the heavy winds. I've never focused on avian activities during tornado weather (never actually been through a tornado fortunately), but it got me thinking about Dale Pendell's "The Language of Birds". I haven't read it, and hadn't considered picking it up until I realized I am severely lacking in my understanding of the birds' activities. Were they flying around trying to find a better hiding spot? Or were the flying around because there was no true danger pending (ex: tornado never manifested).

Long story short, yeah I need to study the "language" of the local birds, especially since I'm relatively new to the area, but can anyone comment on the content of Pendell's book? I'm thoroughly enjoying the Pharmako series, and can relate to his style of writing regarding experience down the poison path...but I'm rather "illiterate" when it comes to reading birds.

edit: Well, after doing some further online research on Pendell's "The Language of Birds", it appears it has less to do with actual Augury and is aimed more at Chance and Fortune...

Edited by Oneironaut

Am still waiting for my copy of Lux H. Re the typos, that happens in privately published books sometimes but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I can't spell, but I can still "spell" lol

M

Am still waiting for my copy of Lux H. Re the typos, that happens in privately published books sometimes but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I can't spell, but I can still "spell" lol

M

No, of course I wouldn't discount the entire book because of a type-o, lol. It's just one of my pet peeves.....I expect a publisher, when charging such high prices for their product, to take more care with their proofreading. **shrug**

Sign in to follow this