Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Winter Night,

I feel that it is very sad indeed to see things like multi-use mobile phones and kindles, everything is at one's fingertips, if you want to find a fact you can have it right now, there is no mystery, no work or effort put into the quest for knowledge this is giving us a lazy and unpreciative mass of people. Ask someone a question today and the first thing they do is reach for their little box. Kindle shows us the future where if it is not immediate it is passed over, where there will be little in the way of permanent records, photos, books as a window into one's past. It will be stored electronically yes but this is missing the point. There will be no moments of discovery of "Oh I had forgotten about this photo of Guss on his Vespa, what memories this invokes." and the like. When Kindle has reduced the amount of bound books to the level that they are uneconomical to produce then Kindle will have no source material other than electronic novels produced by computers (as many are now) to suit the support of the Kindle only and the World will be a sadder place.

I love books, many of us here do i am sure so lets enjoy them while we can.

FFFF

Elf

Hi Elfd, I don’t want to hijack this thread either but wanted to expand on my own views to this:

edited as I have just spotted the new thread! will put it in there! x

Edited by winter night

Am just reading the introduction to "Walking the Tides: Seasonal Rhythms and Traditional Lore in Natural Craft" by Nigel Pearson.

I've been thinking of buying a different books of his. Is he good?

I've been thinking of buying a different books of his. Is he good?

Well, I liked "Treading the Mill", so I'm hoping this book goes well, too. I can't comment more than that at the moment, and I am only on Chapter 1. There is also another thread which discusses his other book, here.

Well, I liked "Treading the Mill", so I'm hoping this book goes well, too. I can't comment more than that at the moment, and I am only on Chapter 1. There is also another thread which discusses his other book, here.

I have 'treading the Mill' too, one of my favourites, and have considered getting this one - will be keen to know what you think of it! hope you do an update once you get through it! :chakrahearts:

"The Golden Bough" James Frazer

This one has been taking a while and I have to be in just the right mood to read it. I'll probably also have to read it again afterwords and look up some of the peoples and places he is mentioning and their practices.

"The Kingdom Fungi" Steven L. Stephenson

I started it, but stopped too long in the water mould section. I want to get out of there so I can get to the part with the nematode eating fungi!

"The Elements of Ritual" Deborah Lipp

Originally bought it for a wiccan friend and intend to give it to him for his birthday. Figured I'd read it first just because I'm not about to pass up reading material of any kind.

"The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature" Matt Ridley

Started this ages ago but haven't touched it recently, really should get back to it.

"The Human Body in Health and Disease" Thibodeau/Patton

This is more of a text book - the size being very user unfriendly, my biggest pet peeve about textbooks here! Progress is slow, copying diagrams and learning what things are called.

Guest Elfyd

A-Celt,

If you liked hat then you should try some of Nigel Pennick's works. Nigel is a polymath and brings in all kinds of pertinent information from a variety of sources and arenas. For you I would recommend "Secrets of East Anglian Magic"

FFFF

Elf

Edited by Elfyd

If you liked hat then you should try some of Nigel Pennick's works. Nigel is a polymath and brings in all kinds of pertinent information from a variety of sources and arenas. For you I would recommend "Secrets of East Anglian Magic"

I read his books years ago, but I'm afraid they didn't appeal to me, personally. But thank you for the recommendation. :D

"The Kingdom Fungi" Steven L. Stephenson

I started it, but stopped too long in the water mould section. I want to get out of there so I can get to the part with the nematode eating fungi!

. . . "The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature" Matt Ridley

Started this ages ago but haven't touched it recently, really should get back to it.

Ouroboros,

Mold and sex in the same thread? I just realized that there is a whole world of "kink" out there, that I am unfamiliar with. From now on, when I see something slimey, I will think fondly of you.

Jevne

Ouroboros,

Mold and sex in the same thread? I just realized that there is a whole world of "kink" out there, that I am unfamiliar with. From now on, when I see something slimey, I will think fondly of you.

Jevne

Brings a whole new visual to necrophilia, lmao!

M

• Upvote 1

Great thanks, I'll buy it as soon as i can

Edited by Babooshka

You know I've never actually read TtM, but I will have to bump it up a bit on my wish list, lol...

M

Guest Elfyd

Michele,

Shame on you for not reading TtM.

We must examine this whole fungi thing, oh sorry i thought it was FUN GUY, should have known better eh?

How about Treading the Male? by Nigel Bare-son.

Secrets of East Anglian Magic comes to the fore again, i have read this many times.

FFFF

Elf

Michele,

Shame on you for not reading TtM.

We must examine this whole fungi thing, oh sorry i thought it was FUN GUY, should have known better eh?

Secrets of East Anglian Magic comes to the fore again, i have read this many times.

FFFF

Elf

O. M. G. Your jokes are worse than my spelling, lol!!!!!!!!!

M

Pretty sure that one's video only. heh heh

Sometimes I just have to force myself not to click on this thread. I'll never get all the Amazon-wish-list books that I want. I'm jealous; I love my books and I haven't got a spare inch left on my bookshelves to squeeze another one in. They're stacking horizontally now.

Guest Elfyd

I believe that checking this thread can be of help if one is seeking a particular theme at the time, or an author/publisher, consensus is good sometimes. Also if one detects a popular yay or nay it can give you a jump on whether or not to continue to persue a particular tome. I has for me on other sites in the past.

FFFF

elf

I believe that checking this thread can be of help if one is seeking a particular theme at the time, or an author/publisher, consensus is good sometimes. Also if one detects a popular yay or nay it can give you a jump on whether or not to continue to persue a particular tome. I has for me on other sites in the past.

FFFF

elf

I agree ...at times... Sir Elf, but I also nudge those here to experiance their own , and come to a personal consensus that is meaningful. If one tosses in an enlightenment from their own experiance, could we not benefit ? Your particular path is not mine, but you bring a plate of knowledge, I don't turn my nose up from. From my experiance here... there are some here, that when I sit at their table .. I have to use a knife and fork, as the spoon fed is not the cuisine..

Regards,

Gypsy

Guest Elfyd

CelticGypsy,

if I have learned anything on this path it is that no one knows where the next turn will take a pilgrim. Over the years I have taken so many roads and wrong turns, read many books that assisted me in taking those directions that I should not have. This has also given me perspective that I would not have now. I have actually gone "full circle" from TW back to TW and the time spent in other walks is now strengthening my current home. I hope that the books I recommend are those that I feel have a value, a message of merit even if they do not represent any particular path I or anyone here choses or follows. If, for instance, I recommend a book mostly wiccan then this means I have seen something there that I honestly feel is worth your time experiencing, likewise, if I offer you something and I know it is suspect or lacking in content worthy the I will try to point this out to you.

If, as you suspect, I do not share your path then I hope we can find common themes or ideals. If one were to ask "How many forms of TW are there?" I would answer, "As many as there are Traditional Witches". Having said this I also recognise that we do all have a common goal or essence.

I will gladly sit and dine with meat-eaters even though I am vegan by choice. if you get my drift.

Lang may yer Lung Reak

FFFF

Elf

I agree ...at times... Sir Elf, but I also nudge those here to experiance their own , and come to a personal consensus that is meaningful. If one tosses in an enlightenment from their own experiance, could we not benefit ? Your particular path is not mine, but you bring a plate of knowledge, I don't turn my nose up from. From my experiance here... there are some here, that when I sit at their table .. I have to use a knife and fork, as the spoon fed is not the cuisine..

Regards,

Gypsy

I love you, Peg. I envy you your FA elegance - your eloquence - and your damned good sense. I'm strong but I'm lazy, and sometimes when I don't bother to respond to things, I find that you do it so much better than I would have done anyway.

Elfyd, you're a bright and fresh new acquaintance. It's a joy to see a new point of view; and a great pleasure to have hard-won old views strengthened.

Guest Elfyd

Absinthe,

I am still green over your name, may it flow freely and long.

Thanks for the uplifting words, i cannot recall the last time I was referred to as bright, fresh and new, phew I think I'm gonna have a shot of something made out of fermented apples.

FFFF

Elf

Life crisis alert....my book shelf collapsed a week ago! I'm now negotiating around assorted stacks all over the floor, until I get a replacement "storage solution". Back on topic - Gallow's Curse by Karen Maitland, a raft of gypsy/traveller biographies since watching the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding series, and The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, self-explanatory.:)

Guest Elfyd

Life crisis alert....my book shelf collapsed a week ago! I'm now negotiating around assorted stacks all over the floor, until I get a replacement "storage solution". Back on topic - Gallow's Curse by Karen Maitland, a raft of gypsy/traveller biographies since watching the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding series, and The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, self-explanatory.:)

Marion, please tell me more about "Gallow's Curse" I am very interested in Romani lore.

FFFF

Elf

I had to put Triumph of the Moon to the side for a brighter day, when I can read it outside, in the sunshine. :rolleyes_witch: I'm to vain to get one of those page magnifiers, but I do plan on reading it.

I'm reading : Woman of the Celts, by Jean Markale, ( Translated from French to English )

Regards,

Gypsy

I'm reading : Woman of the Celts, by Jean Markale, ( Translated from French to English )

Regards,

Gypsy

Lots of misinformation in that one ... read it as an 'interesting read' only, not as truth.

Regards,

Gypsy

Lots of misinformation in that one ... read it as an 'interesting read' only, not as truth.

Thanks for the heads up M. Witch, I'll definately keep that in mind. It looked a little historical, and that is what appealed to me. Thanks again ! ( the print is bigger too ! :rolleyes_witch: )

Regards,

Gypsy