Signs Of Old Hag Attacks During The Night

AnjelWolf

My 'little one' was 16 last week .... time flies! I never did anything to get rid of it at the time, I was too ill - but no one ever experienced anything like it again and the house was eventually sold for different reasons.

But - yes, it was scary and I have no idea why it happened. Maybe it was attracted because I was ill? Who knows. :scared: I'm better protected now!:witchbroom:

LOL i know how you feel - my little one just turned one, man that went quick!!

Well it came and got your dad too so maybe it's just a nasty bugger - do your parents still live in the house??

LOL it's true... life flies by at an alarming rate.... is it just part of getting older.. time flying? As I remember as a child I used to wish time away and it seemed to drag!!!LOL

My mum sold the house Nyxiah - it never felt like a bad house.. but when they viewed it, I walked into that back room and 'saw' tribal masks everywhere. Strange.. my grandparents lived there with my mum and my Nan used to complain that a man would often stand in her doorway staring at her!

It never felt bad.. but at one point, my mum suggested I buy it and she move out.. I said no.. it would have been perfect for my size family but it just didn't feel right for me.

I remember a dream that was similar. In the dream a man came to my bedroom window and I was trying to close the window but he was grabbing my arms and climbing in. When I tried to yell out I found my mouth wouldn't open or make any sound. Well I guess this is kind of similar. I havn't woken up with sleep paralysis before though. Wikipedia has some info on it:

Sleep paralysis is a common condition characterized by transient partial or total paralysis of skeletal muscles and areflexia that occurs upon awakening from sleep or less often while falling asleep. Stimuli such as touch or sound may terminate the episode, which usually has a duration of seconds to minutes. This condition may occur in normal subjects or be associated with narcolepsy, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations. The pathophysiology of this condition is closely related to the normal hypotonia that occur during REM sleep.[1] When considered to be a disease, isolated sleep paralysis is classified as MeSH D020188.

I would consider it a natural occurance, and not that a Witch/Hag is attacking you (excuse me I am a Witch and I don't go attacking people in their sleep) lol

• 4 weeks later...

yeeeesh i have that sometimes. i think its something to do with your mind waking up but not fully, and your body not waking at all. kinda crosses your dreams with reality. its horrible!

:vomit:

There are cases of sleep paralysis where you wake up in the wrong sleep cycle and find you can't move at all.

Not saying the experiences people have had aren't real, just offering a possible explanation for some.

• 4 months later...

It's fascinating reading all of your accounts.

I had something similar happen a few years ago. I woke up one night and was laying on my back with my legs straight and my arms straight at my sides (this in and of itself was strange because I *always* wake up in really strange positions, ever since I was a child). I woke up in this position and immediately realized I couldn't move. I tried and tried and as I did, I felt myself sinking into the bed. This is where it's kind of different than what a lot of you have been mentioning... I didn't feel pressure on top of me or anything like that, or even a pulling below me, I just felt like I was sinking. I don't remember how long it took to wear off, or if I did anything to make it go away, but eventually it did and since there wasn't really any major feeling of negativity I didn't think much about it, besides the fact that it was pretty strange.

In case it happens again, though, maybe I'll be better prepared after reading what's been said here.

It's fascinating reading all of your accounts.

I had something similar happen a few years ago. I woke up one night and was laying on my back with my legs straight and my arms straight at my sides (this in and of itself was strange because I *always* wake up in really strange positions, ever since I was a child). I woke up in this position and immediately realized I couldn't move. I tried and tried and as I did, I felt myself sinking into the bed. This is where it's kind of different than what a lot of you have been mentioning... I didn't feel pressure on top of me or anything like that, or even a pulling below me, I just felt like I was sinking. I don't remember how long it took to wear off, or if I did anything to make it go away, but eventually it did and since there wasn't really any major feeling of negativity I didn't think much about it, besides the fact that it was pretty strange.

In case it happens again, though, maybe I'll be better prepared after reading what's been said here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like you were getting ready to project to me. One thing that is commonly described about astral projection is that there's this heavy sinking feeling of the body before the spirit leaves it. I've never experienced it before, but that's what it sounds like to me.

• 1 year later...

ok i know this was posted a while back but i had to reply. reading all of your stories scared me sh**less. I am a huge chicken. When I sleep by myself I have to sleep with my nightlight on, lamp on, and big light on. I still cant fall asleep. Its only at my friends house though. After I read the stories, I was kinda panicking inside thinking that was gonna happen to me. Anyways after i read the stories, I decided to play happy games on facebook and i was all cheery and smiley then the lights flickered but no one else saw them flicker but me. As i am writing this i am scared senseless.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am SO glad that I came across it that I have to reply! I've had these same experiences, scared the crap out of me. There are a couple of times where I think it was just sleep paralysis, waking up before exiting REM and unable to move, BUT, these experiences came after one that was different and pretty freaky.

I was sleeping by myself and woke up and something was sitting on my chest/stomach area and I was totally paralyzed. I could see the thing, but it was a dark thing and I couldn't make out a distinct shape or features. Once I was able to calm the panic in my head, I started ordering it to leave (in my mind, since I couldn't speak). When I started doing that, it's shape started to change and it CHANGED ITSELF TO LOOK LIKE MY CHILD! I still knew what it was so I closed my eyes so I wouldn't be troubled by the image. When I opened my eyes again it was back to a dark thing and I continued ordering it to leave my property. Then it started to move, and it seemed like it went through my left shoulder to exit, but it did leave. I didn't have any marks, but that was 2 years ago and sometimes that point on my shoulder still hurts. :-/

I think I need to order the book that's at the beginning of this thread.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

:roflhard: ROFLMMFAO! :roflhard: Omg I can't breathe right now from laughing so hard dude! :roflhard: Shit! :roflhard: Ok...(deep breath!)...now here is something to think about as well...does anyone out there reading this thread think that MAYBE there MIGHT BE a connection between this and UFO abductions?

Think about it before answering with a fast "No".

In both instances...the victim(s) is left paralyised...with accounts of not being able to wake up...visions of some unknown creature doing something painful/harmful to them.

Just think about it :)

Now...what are your thoughts?

As I was reading this I was thinking that some of them might be something other than neg entities. Watch the "Fourth Kind". It will give you something to think about.

• 2 months later...

I've had similar experiences. One time I was cooking and felt a hand around my throat trying to strangle me. Another time I was either in a twilight state or had just woken up with the feeling. I had to use a cleansing energy to get rid of residue.

As a teen I had a lot of poltergeist activity going on around me. Seriously, not fun.

I've never experienced anything like this before and I am grateful for other's sharing their experiences, hopefully I will be prepared if something does happen. It also serves as an important reminder to always protect yourself and keep your shields up, especially when you're at your most defenceless. It's made me stop and think about grounding and replenishing one's energy to ensure you're always capable of helping yourself.

I know that in many cases the paralysis is caused by the conscious mind becoming active while the subconscious is still completely active. Essentially the conscious brain has woken up to early. The paralysis is part of a natural process where the brain disallows movement for the most part, generally in REM sleep. This is to prevent the body from acting out all the craziness that goes on in our dreams. Since your subconscious is active it is common to hallucinate during this period as essentially dream images are transposed on waking reality. Whether you see vivid images may be dependent on the current activity in your brain. During REM sleep one side of brain is active at a time and this switches back and forth. Dreams typically begin during the switch from one side to the other and a veritable firestorm of electric activity occurs in the brain. The peculiar thing about this phenomena is the similarity in experiences (which has spawned the Old Hag legend).

My personal theory is that for some people the Pineal gland is stimulated during the switch from one side of the brain to the other. The Pineal gland produces a compound called DMT which is an extremely powerful hallucinogenic. In lab testing, subjects who have been administered a synthetic dose of DMT overwhelmingly reported that they could not move, people or entities or aliens where standing over them or holding them down. The Pineal gland in itself is extraordinarily interesting and has been coined as the "seat of the soul" and the third eye".

I know that in many cases the paralysis is caused by the conscious mind becoming active while the subconscious is still completely active. Essentially the conscious brain has woken up to early. The paralysis is part of a natural process where the brain disallows movement for the most part, generally in REM sleep. This is to prevent the body from acting out all the craziness that goes on in our dreams. Since your subconscious is active it is common to hallucinate during this period as essentially dream images are transposed on waking reality. Whether you see vivid images may be dependent on the current activity in your brain. During REM sleep one side of brain is active at a time and this switches back and forth. Dreams typically begin during the switch from one side to the other and a veritable firestorm of electric activity occurs in the brain. The peculiar thing about this phenomena is the similarity in experiences (which has spawned the Old Hag legend).

My personal theory is that for some people the Pineal gland is stimulated during the switch from one side of the brain to the other. The Pineal gland produces a compound called DMT which is an extremely powerful hallucinogenic. In lab testing, subjects who have been administered a synthetic dose of DMT overwhelmingly reported that they could not move, people or entities or aliens where standing over them or holding them down. The Pineal gland in itself is extraordinarily interesting and has been coined as the "seat of the soul" and the third eye".

This question is going to sound snarky no matter how I try to word it not to - but have you ever experienced one of these types of attacks? Having experienced sleep paralysis (while in a medical facility with wires attached to my head monitoring my entrance to and exit from REM so there is no question) and also an attack of this type, I feel there is a distinct difference.

This question is going to sound snarky no matter how I try to word it not to - but have you ever experienced one of these types of attacks? Having experienced sleep paralysis (while in a medical facility with wires attached to my head monitoring my entrance to and exit from REM so there is no question) and also an attack of this type, I feel there is a distinct difference.

I'd also like to ask how sleep paralysis explains my experiencing this while awake?

To Aloe no I have not experienced an attack of this kind, though I have had sleep paralysis. I am drawing on my own research and the accounts of a friend who frequently wakes up unable to move and see snakes, spiders, crabs, octopuses, and sometimes people standing over her around her on the ceiling etc.. I apologize if you felt I was trying to equate sleep paralysis to something much more.

My understanding of the phenomena (mostly through what doctors have told my friend) is that while many people get sleep paralysis and wake up unable to move sometimes they experience much more. Sleep paralysis is caused (in my understanding) when you wake up but processes from deep sleep don't turn off immediately like they usually do. As I said in my previous post the paralysis is to keep you from hurting yourself while you sleep. While it is much more common for people to experience paralysis by itself, for some, even more processes don't turn off (hopefully this is also answering your question Abraxia Thalgus). Less commonly peoples subconscious is fully active and images and sensations more at home in a dream state or nightmare may manifest in waking reality as both sides of the mind are active at once.

I personally think think this explains things in a quite plausible Jungian sense. In Jung's conception of Archetypes he noted that there was one called Daemon. The characteristics of this entity where: "Philemon and other figures of my fantasies brought home tome the crucial
insight that there are things in the psyche which I do notproduce, but which
produce themselves and have their own life." From accounts I have read and heard these attacks can be quite harrowing. Should portions of our subconscious have the characteristics of the Daemon (though quite a bit less beneficial than the Daemon Jung is specifically referring to in that passage) and should they manifest in our waking reality, I find it quite plausible that it could account for at least a portion of the phenomena. It may even explain some of the similarity in accounts as we all have similar or even the same Archetypes.

Sorry if I came on all sciencey.

• Upvote 1

I've never had the scary sory of encounter with a spirit at night( while sleeping,or not... that's the reaal question isn't it?) once however a being came and took me by the hand, we went out the window, I tried to wake my husbend to bring him along but the spirit said no don't bother, it was pleasant

I like you all sciencey, Dream Walker. Your account of sleep paralysis is, to my knowledge, accurate and can be used to explain most incidences of feeling attacked, while asleep or just waking up from or falling to sleep. It is a similar phenomenon (sp?) to the suddenly feeling as if one is falling when lying prone. Sleep paralyis is the logical explanation for "hag" attacks. The person telling of the event is usually the best indicator of the difference. Some people are more paranoid than others, of course, for example.

As to attacks, while awake . . . I have spirit contact all the time. I have been touched, pinched, slapped, etc. Contrary to popular belief, I do not interpret these actions as attacks, because I know that spirits are not always able to communicate in conventional ways. Being choked? Well, I might have a problem with that. Might need to remove that particular entity.

Jevne

Guest Magdalena

My brother has suffered with sleep paralysis since he was young, while in this way he would suffer frightening visions. After many visits to the doctors he was told he has `Narcolepsy` This happened on a regular basis and was very severe.

Anita.

I don't mind you being all sciencey, my experiences have differed though.

I had a medical issue and had to undergo a sleep study where I was hooked up to monitors (I don't know what they were called, can't remember and I'm not in the medical profession so probably didn't understand them anyway lol) and my entrances and exits from REM were monitored. I experienced sleep paralysis during this (no hallucinations), and it was explained to me by the nurses after. I have experienced it a few times before and after that, but the 'attack' was different. It scared the hell out of me at the time, but on recent examination, and reflection on my activities around that time, I've come to wonder whether it was really malicious in intent as I perceived it to be.

I don't mind you being all sciencey, my experiences have differed though.

I had a medical issue and had to undergo a sleep study where I was hooked up to monitors (I don't know what they were called, can't remember and I'm not in the medical profession so probably didn't understand them anyway lol) and my entrances and exits from REM were monitored. I experienced sleep paralysis during this (no hallucinations), and it was explained to me by the nurses after. I have experienced it a few times before and after that, but the 'attack' was different. It scared the hell out of me at the time, but on recent examination, and reflection on my activities around that time, I've come to wonder whether it was really malicious in intent as I perceived it to be.

An Incubus perhaps?

LOL! That thought hadn't occurred to me. ;)

I think a fairly convincing case can be made that the Old Hag is different from an Incubus or Succubus. While the Old Hag seems to be thoroughly unpleasant, some accounts of Incubi and Succubi seem to convey pleasure (though quite often they are unpleasant).