Protection & Reversal Magick - Jason Miller

Grymdycche

Is there any book to help with that ? I seriously doubt it, lol....you just have to grit your teeth and tell yourself that it will pass....and your child will once again return to being a normal human (possibly) :rofl:

Unfortunately, I suspect that you're right. However, if I were a teacher (and wouldn't get arrested for it) I could see myself PhotoShopping a book cover that reads "The Black Witches Guide To Cursing Pre-Teens" and leaving it on my desk for all of my students to see. I bet I'd have a well behaved class! Bwahahaha!!! Okay, so maybe I'd only fantasize about it... hee.

Fallen, If/once you get a full membership here, there's a forum for trades and sales and stuff, you could put it up there. I think somebody would want it.

I'll put it away for that occassion, should it come. Thanks for letting me know... I prefer to give books to people who I know will want them, so that would be a wonderful solution.

Aside from scaring hormonal kids (heh), I thought that the author was informative and thought-provoking, so this isn't a book that I'll be tossing into the shed. I won't be using any of his incantations - they just didn't resonate with me - but I felt that many of his rituals could easily be adapted for my own purposes. I particularly liked that he included a chapter on healing. It's a great book for your collection... even if the author does advocate chanting "IO APOX-IAS IO HO!" a hundred times. Uh-uh. Not doing it. About a quarter of the way through, I'd have to take a bathroom break because the laughter would go to my bladder. I think that it's the "IO HO!" part in particular... Heh.

LOL!

Know what's even worse? Imagining hearing Ed McMahon say them!

(He's the old Johnny Carson sidekick guy - the one who now does Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes commercials)

He used to say " HO! " on the show all the time. ;)

You mentioned the one part I definitely wasn't fond of - this "Apoxias" guy that was revealed to him via Hecate. I think personal revelations and stuff like that should stay personal, honestly.

So, what's another good book in this vein?

Dion Fortune's "Psychic Defense" ?

Chris Penzcak's "Psychic Shield"?

Any others? I definitely want a "second opinion" book, so to speak.

"IO HO!" "IO EVOHE"!

or

"GRYUM CARPO!"

and

"DECENDAT COLUMBA!

ASCENDAT SERPENS!"

and

"HEKAS HEKAS ESTE BEBELOI!"

I have heard some of these used when I was in a coven; however, it was given a different meaning. One was given as in invocation of the Horned God and pronounced in a chantish (is that a word?) way. One was a protection and a warning to anything "passing by" that you did not want to "stop in" so to speak. But if intent is everything, then wouldn't any word one makes up and says passionately work? Then again, I guess if 700 people around the world had the same belief, they would, to an extent, be lending their "power" to the word....

Disclaimer - as I stated, I belonged to a coven, and yes, was oathbound. Out of respect to those who trust me (and who I really do care about) I won't say anything I was shown after the oath was taken; however, I have actually read most of it here and there, ... often in novels funnliy enough...

Yes, the "Hekas hekas, este bebeloi" is greek for "Away, Away, all ye profane".

"IO" and "EVOHE" are Greek hails of a sort, similar to the "Ave" of "Ave Maria".

Columba is a dove, Serpens the serpent, and that bit was used to call upon a pillar of light/energy to help protect and cleanse yourself. Rather than use the bright white light bubble method, the book suggests a pillar of light emanating down (decendat) from the heavens, and up (ascendat) from the earth.

There's a fair bit of creative visualization involved, but isn't there always?

LOL!

Know what's even worse? Imagining hearing Ed McMahon say them!

(He's the old Johnny Carson sidekick guy - the one who now does Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes commercials)

He used to say " HO! " on the show all the time. ;)

You mentioned the one part I definitely wasn't fond of - this "Apoxias" guy that was revealed to him via Hecate. I think personal revelations and stuff like that should stay personal, honestly.

So, what's another good book in this vein?

Dion Fortune's "Psychic Defense" ?

Chris Penzcak's "Psychic Shield"?

Any others? I definitely want a "second opinion" book, so to speak.

The only thing more amusing is to imagine James Earl Jones chanting it... but if they decide to team up and bring me a check, I'll join in, sans bathroom break. ;-)

I didn't care for that part, either. To be honest, I rolled my eyes and sighed when I read it. Personal experiences are personal... what works for one doesn't work for all, and shouldn't be presented as The Truth.

I haven't read any other books like this (beyond "Utterly Wicked", which I'm reading now... I'm not far enough into it to have formed an opinion other than "eesh, couldn't they have picked a better cover picture?"... but there seems to be an interesting chapter on cursing objects). I've considered buying "Psychic Shield" and "Spiritual Cleansing", but when I flipped through them at the store, I decided to wait because "Protection & Reversal Magick" seemed to be more comprehensive. I'll probably go for "Spiritual Cleansing" next, even though people seem to be complaining that it has a lot of Christian undertones (in that holy water is called for), because it was my second pick while I was at the store, but I'll be damned if I can remember the reason... it might be because "Psychic Shield" had a CD of some sort in it, and that always makes me wary. I'd rather be given ideas then to be guided.

(And if none of this makes very much sense, it's because I've only had three hours of sleep in the past two days.)

I haven't read any other books like this (beyond "Utterly Wicked", which I'm reading now... I'm not far enough into it to have formed an opinion other than "eesh, couldn't they have picked a better cover picture?"... but there seems to be an interesting chapter on cursing objects).

.... it might be because "Psychic Shield" had a CD of some sort in it, and that always makes me wary. I'd rather be given ideas then to be guided.

(And if none of this makes very much sense, it's because I've only had three hours of sleep in the past two days.)

Wow! Why so little sleep?

I just got a copy of Utterly Wicked too, based on all the good reviews here. I agree, the cover is kinda corny, lol. Well, you know what they say about judging a book by it's cover..;)

I won't be reading it just yet, as I also just got Triumph of the Moon, Popular Magic/Cunning Folk (Owen Davies), and Roebuck in the Thicket too - books which I want to read first - though I'll skim through "Utterly" while I'm at it, I'm sure.

I have a (bad?) habit of buying a bunch of books at once, then I get around to reading them. Being that I've already sunk the $$ on them, it forces me to read them, else it's a waste of money. Sort of a self-disciplinary measure, but also cuz I luv books!!

I've heard decent things about Penzcak's book, but I'm still on the fence about it. I think the DVD is there to help you meditate, but I could be mistaken.

Edited by Tana
removed defamatory comment

Guest Varillon

I ended up buying the Psychic Self Defense book by Bruce. It wasn't a bad read imo. There was some fluff here and there, and it didn't always tell you how to handle every detail, but I felt better having read it. I guess I would classify it as a beginner's book. It lets you know what "can" happen and what has happened to the author regardless of whether or not you agree with his terminology (I didn't in a lot of instances). I was still getting out of the "feeling safe" mode when I read it, so if that makes sense, make the choice of reading it or not.

Wow! Why so little sleep?

A friend was diagnosed with sarcoma last year and ended up having most of the muscle in her left calf removed... then, a few months after that, they learned that the cancer had gone to her lungs. They've been monitoring the tumors, but they're apparently growing at the rate of 1mm per month and are nearly 1cm each now. There are too many of them (and they're too big) for a surgeon to remove, they can't do radiation, and chemo doesn't work with this type of cancer. She's going to go into clinical trials for a medication that may shrink them, but... experimental is experimental.

It upset me a lot because she's one of those people that I instantly clicked with as a child, and I can't imagine her not being around to complete my sentences and crack morbid jokes anymore. I guess that I'm mourning a little bit already. When I get into bed, all I do is toss and turn and worry for her, because she lives far from me and doesn't really have anyone there to help her. :-(

I just got a copy of Utterly Wicked too, based on all the good reviews here. I agree, the cover is kinda corny, lol. Well, you know what they say about judging a book by it's cover..;)

I won't be reading it just yet, as I also just got Triumph of the Moon, Popular Magic/Cunning Folk (Owen Davies), and Roebuck in the Thicket too - books which I want to read first - though I'll skim through "Utterly" while I'm at it, I'm sure.

I have a (bad?) habit of buying a bunch of books at once, then I get around to reading them. Being that I've already sunk the $$ on them, it forces me to read them, else it's a waste of money. Sort of a self-disciplinary measure, but also cuz I luv books!!

I've heard decent things about Penzcak's book, but I'm still on the fence about it. I think the DVD is there to help you meditate, but I could be mistaken.

LoL, you sound like me. I'm horrible at book stores... I grab twenty books that look interesting, then sit down and try to weed them out. At one point, I had software on the computer to keep track of all of the books in the house, but that worked against me. My husband noticed that there were over five hundred of them in the TBR category and demanded that I not buy any more until I had read some of the ones in the closets (and book shelves, and dressers, and...). I ended up giving them to the used bookstore in order to buy more... heh.

Lately I've been reading a lot about exorcism, so I have books regarding the RCC in the wings. They caught my attention because one of them mentions that "cunning women" were used to determine if a person was possessed or not in the early 20th century, before Vatican II. They're dry reading, though, so I haven't been able to really get into them yet.

I've completely strayed away from the topic, LoL...

I'll probably end up getting the other books I've mentioned, if only because I have no self controll when I hit the bookstore, but who knows when I'll actually get around to them?

Edited by Tana
Removed defamatory comments

Guest Varillon

Fallen, if it means anything, I know what it's like to be mislead in succession. At one point, I thought I was getting traditional advice and guidance only to find that they only thing traditional was the label. Don't be too hard on yourself or the world. Just figure out for yourself who to step on, step over, and step past. The rest will come if you desire it, likely not as fast as you'd prefer, but it will come.

Fallen, if it means anything, I know what it's like to be mislead in succession. At one point, I thought I was getting traditional advice and guidance only to find that they only thing traditional was the label. Don't be too hard on yourself or the world. Just figure out for yourself who to step on, step over, and step past. The rest will come if you desire it, likely not as fast as you'd prefer, but it will come.

My situation is very different. I wasn't trying to learn anything from that book or those people... I only got sucked in because my "friend" kept mentioning me and asking for my advice. The domino effect I was speaking of involves medical and legal problems, crimes against me and my family, and so on. Thanks for your kind advice, though; it would be helpful in another situation.

Wow, we are alike! Well, almost. While I've often thought of highlighting my books (I do highlight my technical manuals for work) I couldn't bring myself to mark up my personal books. Stupid, I know. Books are nearly sacred to me. At the same time though, I'd probably get more out of them if I dog-eared and highlighted the crap out of them, lol.

Sorry for your friend, good luck with that.

Edited by Tana
removed defamatory comments

Wow, we are alike! Well, almost. While I've often thought of highlighting my books (I do highlight my technical manuals for work) I couldn't bring myself to mark up my personal books. Stupid, I know. Books are nearly sacred to me. At the same time though, I'd probably get more out of them if I dog-eared and highlighted the crap out of them, lol.

Sorry for your friend, good luck with that.

I used to write in them with pencil, then scratch out the markings, until it hit me one day that I saw different books in different ways and didn't need to go through the bother. Hardback novels are never to be marked in (they're too freakin' expensive!), but it's okay to highlight a softback reference book if you know that it's going to be a part of your personal collection. Otherwise, you quote things in your trusty, battered notebook. My personal bookcases look like a pile of trash... sticky notes and pieces of paper tucked into books until they can barely close anymore... heh.

Thank you for your kind words. She's doing well right now, and I think that as time wears on, I'll get more used to the idea of it all. It's just hard to think of right now...

I have this one & for me its alittle bland. Doesnt really talk about psychic defense but more everyday stuff. I'll pull it out & post some of what he talks on.

Sapphire

I totally agree! I have this one too and I got bored pretty quick with it. However, this is not to put down Christopher Penczak's work as I love his Temple series and think in general he's a good author.

I read a book (I think it was called Psychic Self Defense) by Robert Bruce that I very much enjoyed... same fellow wrote a book about astral travel that I've read and also found interesting...

I can give the heads up on this one. I quite enjoyed it. I liked the fact that it didn't just repeat the same old crap which most books do, though it did get a little tedious keep mentioning the water pipe thing (read and you'll see what I mean) lol, but apart from that I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed Mr Bruce's other books too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Psychic Self Defence by Dion Fortune, I got it years ago and I bring it out and re-read parts of it now and again. It's written in the vernacular of the 30's and sometimes I find it a bit trying but the info given and the knowledge imparted makes the book worth reading, in my humble opinion, that is.

I've been on the lookout for another book on this topic but am not sure of the Jason Miller book after learning of the Latin involved. Just not into Latin. Has anyone here read Psychic Shield by Caitlin Matthews?

Raina

I've seen and thumbed through the book by Caitlin Matthews, several times in fact, while trying to make up my mind, but in the end I decided on other books (for now). I still might get it though, later.

You might like it, especially if you liked the Dion Fortune book.

You can get a tiny taste of it via Amazon (Google books doesn't have it)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1569755353/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link

The Jason Miller books isn't exactly full of Latin (and Greek), by the way, just some spells, and sometimes even only just part of spells. There's plenty of ol' fashioned witchcraft and hoodoo in the book too. Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks, Grymdycche, I checked out the Caitlin Matthews book, and if there's not that much Lating in the Jason Miller book I think I'll get both books next month - I've got a fairly decent paycheck coming then. It's great to have some input before putting your dollar down when buying books.

Raina

As I am sure you will have seen already Grym, Psychic Self Defense by Dion Fortune is available in the Downloads section for full members. :lol_witch:

Ah yes, I grabbed it already, but thank you, Tana.

Yet another book in my massive eBook collection, which a tad larger than my paper library. :) (I'm such a pack rat- horder! lol)

I just wish someone would invent the perfect eBook reader.