57 replies to this topic

#1 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

I am seriously thinking about getting this book. Anyone else give it a once over?
It's not expensive, and isn't written from a Wiccan perspective either, apparently.

Protection & Reversal Magick , a Witches Defense Manual (Beyond 101)

http://www.amazon.co...5025766&sr=1-41

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#2 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:29 AM

Looks interesting have to add it to my wish list. Thanks.

SapphireMoon

#3 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:45 AM

Pretty soon my library expansion will have to go by the Dewey-Decimal system.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#4 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:26 AM

lol! I know what you mean.

Well, I stopped by that Borders I saw it at and bought it today. I'll let you all know shortly how it is.

(I also picked up a cool black scrying mirror there, as part of a "kit" with mirror, DVD, and book.. I don't really care about the other stuff, but the mirror is pretty neat, not bad for $24)

9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#5 luneargentee

luneargentee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

Good deal on the scrying kit. Congrats!

Be sure to let us know about the book. It sounds like one I could use.

#6 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

After reading the first 26 pages, and skimming through more of the book, I'm very glad I bought this.
Here's a key paragraph in the preface that sets the tone for the book.

"The first thing I want to make clear is that this is a book on defensive witchcraft, not Wicca. Though many use the terms interchangeably, witchcraft embraces a much wider spectrum than just Wicca, which can be seen as a particular type of religious witchcraft. Witchcraft, as we use the term in the book, is a craft, and implies a type of practical sorcery and mysticism that embraces elements of the chthonic, lunar, feminine, and so on it's practice.
As Robert Cochrane once said, .."

He also makes a few positive references to Paul Huson's "Mastering Witchcraft", which I was pleased to see, (and a book
Wiccans love to hate because of the dark material within); he also touches on hoodoo and voudou as well as other systems from around the world, including eastern ones; more local (or western) concepts covered include the history and use of witch balls, graveyard dirt, goofer dust, and even - yep, fetches!

The book appears to be right down our multifaceted alley, and I would recommend this to anyone here without a second thought.

One note: The book sometimes takes a unique approach in that the author seems infatuated with the goddess Hekate, but I don't have a problem with that, and it could very easily be ignored, if one chose, without impeding the usefulness of the book whatsoever; or you could just go with the flow.
After all, no book is perfect, but this one is a keeper for me.

You can get a real good sampling of it here - try before you buy!
http://books.google....summary_s&cad=0

#7 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

The book looks interesting. I did read something that I had wondered about a few times. I was initiated wiccan many years ago. I made a harm none vow during that. I am no longer wiccan. Do not believe in the wiccan ways or the wiccan gods. Of course I have broken that vow when I started to do hexes and such. So far I have not felt any reprecutions from it. This book he says such occurances will bring consequences. Could that be only if you still believe in the gods you made the vow to?
Rebie

#8 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

I truly think that it will only bring consequences if you still believe the wiccan law of harm none.. if you have shed yourself of wiccan conditioning, I doubt anything will come of it.

Although... you go about a curse the wrong way that you will feel quilty for it... The guilt will turn into kharma.

#9 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

I truly think that it will only bring consequences if you still believe the wiccan law of harm none.. if you have shed yourself of wiccan conditioning, I doubt anything will come of it.

Although... you go about a curse the wrong way that you will feel quilty for it... The guilt will turn into kharma.

Yes, that is how I felt about it. Just wondered if anyone else saw it that way to. Personally I am the type of person who does not fear what I do not believe in. Not believing in the Gods was one of the reasons I left wicca. As well as the harm none and three fold law. I just couldn't accept that.
Rebie

#10 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

Yes, that is how I felt about it. Just wondered if anyone else saw it that way to. Personally I am the type of person who does not fear what I do not believe in. Not believing in the Gods was one of the reasons I left wicca. As well as the harm none and three fold law. I just couldn't accept that.
Rebie

If this is true, then logically, you couldn't curse someone who didn't believe in witchcraft/magic/gods - a total atheist would be immune, because his lack of belief would "shield" him, and this concept places the power of magic fully and squarely in the hands of "belief".
-Which then brings up a can o' worms: the old placebo/power of suggestion argument against magic in general. I'd rather not go there.

I belief that when you stop dealing with an entity/deity/god/spirit, you have essentially broken the "contract", and you are no longer held to your vow; likewise, whatever you received from the entity is rescinded and undone in kind.
Penalties? .. Unknown.
But I feel more comfortable, logically, with this concept.

Well, the more I read this book, the more stoked I get. I just got to the chapter on recognizing attack, and had to put the book down for a second to catch my breath. It said, one of the first and primary symptoms of attack was a feeling of being out of time, your timing is all wrong, you're always at the wrong place at the wrong time, etc..
I've very often said, for a long time now, that I feel my timing sucks. I feel almost "out of phase" with the world and people around me, and things tend to happen at the worst possible moments - coincidences of maximum inopportunity. It's a bit uncanny, really. This has me written all over it.
Now, I don't mean to sound like a psychic hypochondriac (a psychondriac? ;)), believe me; I've fought against believing anything like this for so long and hard that'd I'd believe almost anything but; but after reading this section last night, it just clicked. in fact, most things in this book have just clicked for me so far, and it's so very rare for me to connect with a book on this level.
Now I'm on the section on meditation, which seems to be a common theme central to all the "psychic shield" type books. I kind of wish Jason Miller had gone into a little more detail about the technique, but, he does give it 3 full pages, maybe 4, and I'm not done the chapter yet.

#11 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

If this is true, then logically, you couldn't curse someone who didn't believe in witchcraft/magic/gods - a total atheist would be immune, because his lack of belief would "shield" him, and this concept places the power of magic fully and squarely in the hands of "belief".
-Which then brings up a can o' worms: the old placebo/power of suggestion argument against magic in general. I'd rather not go there.

I belief that when you stop dealing with an entity/deity/god/spirit, you have essentially broken the "contract", and you are no longer held to your vow; likewise, whatever you received from the entity is rescinded and undone in kind.
Penalties? .. Unknown.

Yes, a can of worms we do not want to open. LOL. I agree with you. I like your explanation on this.
Rebie

#12 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:12 AM

Protection & Reversal Magick , a Witches Defense Manual (Beyond 101)

Well after your review of this book, I may just put it down on my wish list too. Thanks for giving us some inserts of the book.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#13 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thought I'd just add a little more, since I'm much deeper in the book now.
It does have a bit of a ceremonial magic slant to it, which is Jason Miller's background. The "Tower" or "Pillar of Light" technique seems to be a common theme among some of these kinds of books though.
If I have one complaint, it's that he often suggests incantations which are completely in latin, but he provides no pronunciation key. Those not familiar with Latin would be at a loss as to how to say the spells! (I"m lucky enough to have bought many books on Latin last year, so I can, but I don't think the typical reader will.)
I just got done a section on banishings and protection using baths and floor washes. While neither technique is particular conducive for me (my house is too messy, and I don't take baths, I take showers, lol), they would work for many I'm sure. Now I'm in the section for conjure hands/gris gris/mojo bags, which is sorta neat, having just gotten through amulets and talismans, which I thought was a hair too brief.

Still, this book isn't the be-all end-all of protection magic books, despite my previous gushing and raving. :rolleyes:
I've looked at a few, and here are the popular alternatives:

The Witches Shield by Christoper Penzcak
Psychic Self Defense by Dion Fortune (A classic - but had an awful lot of story to it, I thought, and seemed not to have so much instruction, but AnjelWolf loves it)
Psychic Shield by Caitlin Matthews - and with a dedication to the Dion Fortune book above
The Llewellyn Practical Guide To Psychic Self-Defense & Well Being by Denning & Phillips (No idea if good or bad)
The Art of Psychic Protection by Judy Hall

I'll probably pick up one or two of these just to add to my knowledge, and get a more rounded approach overall.
Anyone else have any of these above listed books, and what did you think?

Edited by Grymdycche, 13 July 2008 - 07:45 PM.

#14 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

I was just talking last week to my sister, I think it was, about wanting to learn latin. I think it's a good idea to know the language that is the base of most words in many languages. The schools used to teach latin back in the 50's and before. Greek is also a good one since so many scientific words are greek based.

I ordered the "The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells" by
Judika Illes

I should get it in a couple weeks. Post is kinda slow here in the Great White North.

You seemed to have a good first impression of the book when talking about it Friday, that I decided to order the book.

#15 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

Penalties? .. Unknown.

Well there is that saying that curses only affect you if you believe in them. I see that as merely a way to make people feel better. "oh I don't believe in it so I'm okay."
You're right, this is such a huge can o' worms.
But there is a lot to be said about perception. A person might have a curse put on them, and they may not even think about the things happening to them as a curse. It might just be construed as bad luck, etc.
A believer would see the connection of the bad things going on in their life, and know it's from a curse.
So I believe in the power of intent, no matter what the recipient believes in. I also believe people create their own reality, and that's where a skeptic will chose to have a different point of view than a believer. And they could even have the same curse put upon them.
I think it's healthy to have a bit of skepticism in ones life. But hard core skeptics crack me up. They're so good at making excuses for everything. :wasntme:

#16 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

The Witches Shield by Christoper Penzcak

I'll probably pick up one or two of these just to add to my knowledge, and get a more rounded approach overall.
Anyone else have any of these above listed books, and what did you think?

I have this one & for me its alittle bland. Doesnt really talk about psychic defense but more everyday stuff. I'll pull it out & post some of what he talks on.

Sapphire

#17 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

I finished the book, finally.
I still think it's highly worthy of ownership.

The author (Inominandum) makes a good case for his culling of spells and routines from many different traditions and disciplines, such as witchcraft, ceremonial magic, buddhist/tantric, and hoodoo; he goes after a well rounded approach, and points out that your enemies (if you have any) may be well versed or protected in one style, but not so effective against another(and this applies to mere protection as well as counter-magick). Makes sense to me.
His book covered the field rather well.

However, I thought it could benefit from a pronunciation guide, as much of his spellwork, being ceremonially influenced, is in Latin (or even Summarian)! So, I wrote him, and told him this, and it turns out he agrees, and is already writing another book with such a guide. Hopefully he includes this whenever he revises his Protection & Reversal Magick book.

One other plus for me, I found out he lives in my area! He gives monthly lectures at a shop in New Hope, PA, so I think I'll go meet him next month.

#18 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

Personally I think that if you are going to use incantations etc., particularly if they come from a book, the should be spoken in your own language!

I make mine (when I ever use any) up as I go along, and they add to the moment and feel more potent because they are mine.

I haven't read this one....I'll see if I can borrow it from someone, saves on buying

LadyHawk x

#19 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

Personally I think that if you are going to use incantations etc., particularly if they come from a book, the should be spoken in your own language!

I make mine (when I ever use any) up as I go along, and they add to the moment and feel more potent because they are mine.

I haven't read this one....I'll see if I can borrow it from someone, saves on buying

There's a lot of strange (to me) stuff in there like :
"IO HO!" "IO EVOHE"!
or
"GRYUM CARPO!"
and
"DECENDAT COLUMBA!
ASCENDAT SERPENS!"
and
"HEKAS HEKAS ESTE BEBELOI!"

At least he does tell you what the hell it means, lol ;)
But I agree, some of this turned me off a little (it sounds silly), and I would prefer to write my own - even if I did them in latin, - I have several books on latin, so that's conceivable (most of this is greek though, literally); but, this is ceremonial based magic going on here in these specific examples, so, you know how that is - toe the line and don't blink. He's just preserving the tradition. :D
"IO" and "EVOHE" are both rather commonplace however, in witchcraft and wicca. It's like saying "Hail" or "Ave".
In Jamaica, "IRIE!" would probably be pretty close. ;)

He provides other options though.

You can get a decent preview of the book here on Google Books.
(Gotta luv google)

http://books.google....mJLpOvZn3Aj0X6g

Edited by Grymdycche, 30 July 2008 - 09:34 PM.

#20 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:18 AM

But I agree, some of this turned me off a little (it sounds silly), and I would prefer to write my own - even if I did them in latin, - I have several books on latin, so that's conceivable (most of this is greek though, literally); but, this is ceremonial based magic going on here in these specific examples, so, you know how that is - toe the line and don't blink. He's just preserving the tradition. :D

This made me giggle, because after studying Latin formally for four years (among other "dead languages", because I've always been nerdy like that), I've never stopped to think about how it might actually sound to others. I just told myself that a "buggy is coming down the lane" in the mirror and have learned that when it's recited in an ominous manner, it sounds very... well... suffice it to say that I now know how I'm going to great trick-or-treaters this Halloween. Hehehe... ::goes off to speak to the mirror some more::

~ The Fallen Angel