new or used books

Geminikiss

if i were to order used books off Amazon would it say if there were any pages missing or anything. thats the only thing im worried about, well and if there are stains in it to where i wont be able to read the words.

There are ratings on Amazon regarding the shape of the item, such as "Used - like new" etc. Look for the good ratings and you'll get a good copy. I'm convinced it will be mentioned if there are pages missing or issues with readability (not sure if that's a word, lol).

I prefer to own an old, used book so long as it's in reasonable shape. I think that books that are a bit worn, have some marks, and not to mention OLD (I mean the ones that were printed years and years ago) have a lot of character. They have personality, I think. I have a copy of "Diary of a Witch" by Sybil Leek thats an earlier copy(actually, I'm not sure if there are even any recent re-prints of this one). it has a few marks, the edges of the pages are worn, someone signed their name on the back of the front cover and dated it "1979". The opposite page has another person's name but no date. The edges of each page are slightly yellowed and it has this wonderful antique store smell. This book has character.

But despite all that, I firstly look for whats cheapest if I can't afford to spend a lot of money. Though I have found that with many books, old copies can sometimes run cheaper than newer ones! :)

when I had money and no kids I bought new - I bought far too quickly had many duff purchases - now they need to be as cheap as chips, and even then I have to be really picky cause I cant get many (violins playing I know!), but its great, I think I appreciate them more now. I really think long and hard before parting with my hard earned cash, and its paying off.

If your library is any good then borrow them, but sadly my library won't be stocking these types of books anytime soon!:chakrahearts:

when I had money and no kids I bought new - I bought far too quickly had many duff purchases - now they need to be as cheap as chips, and even then I have to be really picky cause I cant get many (violins playing I know!), but its great, I think I appreciate them more now. I really think long and hard before parting with my hard earned cash, and its paying off.

If your library is any good then borrow them, but sadly my library won't be stocking these types of books anytime soon!:chakrahearts:

p.s. duff means rubbish incase anyone here isnt familiar with the word!

If I buy a physical book I usually get a used one as they're cheaper and are recycling. I do own a Kindle (which I love dearly) and often buy electronic books when available unless I feel I will return to the book for references - although it is very easy to highlight and make margin notes with the Kindle. I also rarely get rid of a book. My house is full of floor to ceiling cinder-block & pine-plank bookshelves, a sight and feel I love.

M

It really depends. I've got a mixture of new & used. I prefer to recycle so if I can find a used one in 'very good' to 'like new' condition, I'll get it. I don't like to see anyone else's notes in the margins. Like AC, a lot of the books I have/want aren't that much less expensive in used condition. If it's only a dollar or two difference, I'll then buy new if available.

Like others, my library wouldn't even think about carrying the majority of the books I'm interested in. They've even had a debate about carrying HP (the liberals won, thankfully).

Just an interesting side note - I bought a book on Plant folklore from Amazon once...and was pleasantly surprised by the markings of the previous owner...who had dated it 1932 listing the most interesting pieces of folk magic I have seen working with Plants. Sometimes second-hand is best...sometimes not. Personally, I like the recycling aspect and most of the books I desire are out of print so second-hand is the only way.

When I lived in New York there was a larger selection of craft books in the big chain bookstores. There was also some pretty neat finds in the old antique book store in the witchcraft section( 3 rd floor, furthest back corner bookshelf in a nook covered in cobwebs....it called to me instantly lmao) which I was suprised they even had a witchcraft section. But down here in the bible belt the large bookstores carry a limit selection and they are the ones I already ruled out when I was in New York. I do prefer older books to newer books because they have the old book smell and I find more interesting thing in old books. The newer ones are full of wiccan ideals and very little craft theory. Not only that but old books are cheeper...a couple dollars as a opposed to 20 to 25 dollars for a brand new crap filled book. I still need to check out amazon though, I just like to physically feel the book before I buy it.

Just an interesting side note - I bought a book on Plant folklore from Amazon once...and was pleasantly surprised by the markings of the previous owner...who had dated it 1932 listing the most interesting pieces of folk magic I have seen working with Plants. Sometimes second-hand is best...sometimes not. Personally, I like the recycling aspect and most of the books I desire are out of print so second-hand is the only way.

I had a similar experience, I found an old bible in my books and have no idea where it came from, but in the front there is a list of verses. I looked them up, and all the verses listed are ones that are related to people in the Bible using scrying, divining and other forms of magic.

I had a similar experience, I found an old bible in my books and have no idea where it came from, but in the front there is a list of verses. I looked them up, and all the verses listed are ones that are related to people in the Bible using scrying, divining and other forms of magic.

That's really neat. That all ways interests me how they mention magic in the bible...make you wonder how old the craft really is.

Edited by Whiterose

A man I once worked with bought a box of books from the flea market. In it was an old prayer book from the Church of England and he gave it to me. There was an inscription inside it. The book happened to have been given to my mother as a child for her birthday and the inscription was to her. A continent later....

M

A man I once worked with bought a box of books from the flea market. In it was an old prayer book from the Church of England and he gave it to me. There was an inscription inside it. The book happened to have been given to my mother as a child for her birthday and the inscription was to her. A continent later....

M

That's amazing!

That's really neat. That all ways interests me how they mention magic in the bible...make you wonder how old the craft really is.

As old as the oldest records we have I believe (cave drawings). Personally, I believe as old as time.

I love finding magic in the bible, it was a game to me when I was a child. In church I would stay out of trouble by reading the bible during service, when actually I was looking for all the esoteric information. lol Apparently someone else did the same thing, wish I knew who. They didn't put their name in it.

WTF? IT really makes u wonder how old the craft is? Well u can try long while before the bible bashers, wot is this site comin to?

The craft in my opinion is as old as man!

Guest Magdalena

I have both old and new, many of my new books have been bought for me, many of my old books have been given to me, the rest I purchased myself. Even though I am totally non religious, I have a bible I put away somewhere, I've not seen it in many years but I know I have it, it was from when I was in school and I know there is a rose pressed inside of it from my boyfriends grave, I was only 18 when I put it there, my head was shot to pieces and I was lost, it took twenty odd years to find myself, I don't even know why I kept that bible, I've never opened it since I pressed the rose.

Anita.