Jake Stratton-Kent

Michele

I meant to reply earlier on this Michelle, sorry for the delay.

I have read most of the books published by Scarlet Imprint, as Pye mentioned they are generally of a sorcerous nature. Jake Stratton-Kent's books published by Scarlet Imprint are 'The True Grimoire' a reworking of the Grimorium Verum a study in Goetic Magic and the latest one 'Geosophica' which is a second volume on Goetic magic.

The books are good and it is interesting to get an insight into the works of comtemporary Occult practitioners. For many they will be only of academic interest, as would other books published by Scarlet Imprint.

I belive that Scarlet Imprint intend publishing their works in unlimited paperback form this year, so that may be a way to obtain anything of interest for a more modest price. As with Xoanon, the books are generally reasonably priced when issued, but some are being resold on the scond hand market for much higher prices.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I ordered two of his books which I managed to get at a semi-reasonable price, (less than 200.00 for both). As I am a work in progress, I often find that some things (whether of my path or not) help me better understand my own thoughts and meanderings. I also read somewhere that he delves into some of the african-importations of gods (for lack of a better way of putting it) and as I am surrounded by island culture and its assoeciated occult religions I always find that aspect interesting and have in the past used Santerian representations. I am also hoping to find something of the "western quabala" in his works. I do seem to oscilate (sp) between a "simple English witch" and an eclectic occultist, lol. I find the occult gives me more understanding of that with which I work, but the "simple craft" gives me a better connection to it.

M

Let us know what you think after you read them, I've been thinking of ordering The Red Goddess from Scarlet Imprint. :) My only hesitation is that based on the pdf's they make available, some of their writings are a little to political for my taste. That's not a bad thing, just not MY thing.

I rec'd the books yesterday. From a purely materialistic view-point, if one saw these books in a store or on a table, one would touch them and pick them up. Beautiful and excellent quality craftmanship. I don't think I will ever be able to bring myself to highlight in them as I usually do, lol. I have only gone through the intro, but so far I like what JSK is putting down. That Goetia is not, as most assume by Solomon's Goetias, merely the work of conjuring up demons in ceremonial magic. It is about working with the dead and developing relationships with spirits. Some may not consider that witchcraft, but the first thing that popped into my mind is isn't this what witches do with their ancestors? And some many say "oh - but my ancestors already know me." Well, biological ones, maybe. What about witch ancestors? What about the ancestors one pulls through the skull and into one's workings? What about the ancestors of the sabbatic current? It seems to me that there is a large place for developing a relationship with the dead (and the yet-as-unborn) amongst craft practices. He also relates "practices" (I put that in quotes as he refers to it as religions, but that word creates so much instant preconception that I will use "practices" instead) to two basic kinds of working - natural, being those derived from observation of the natural world including coommunications with the dead, and revealed - that being practices that come from the starry realms and are of a revelational nature. I do find that as a witch the realms and practices overlap (at least in my path). He also points out that people apply their notion of goetia to, again, Soloman's Goetia, rather than to the original meaning of the word which refered to the howelers and lamenters at funeral rites for the dead. Hopefully I have interpreted his intro correctly, but anyway, that is what I am getting from it. Am very interested to keep reading and quite like the little bit I have read so far...

M

• 7 months later...

I meant to reply earlier on this Michelle, sorry for the delay.

I have read most of the books published by Scarlet Imprint, as Pye mentioned they are generally of a sorcerous nature. Jake Stratton-Kent's books published by Scarlet Imprint are 'The True Grimoire' a reworking of the Grimorium Verum a study in Goetic Magic and the latest one 'Geosophica' which is a second volume on Goetic magic.

Does it cover any other subjects than Goetic magic? I just came across a good priced copy of Geosophia Volume I I think I'm going to grab.

Anyone else read this?

• 4 months later...

I didn't end up getting Geosophia, so I still haven't read any of these. Scarlet Imprint is now offering digital versions of their books, so I'll be getting some on Kindle soon. Wanted to put this out there for our Kindle (Nook, etc.) users.