Bloody good books!

Hunter

I have to say, I've found myself rather immersed in my quest for some bloody good books on science & magic. Do any of you have any recommendations?

I find the typical crafting books rather simplistic, we all arleady know about the elements, circle casting etc ( I don't use circles) & I'm past all of that a long time ago. I love scientific theories in relation to the magickal realms. There are some boooks I'd give my finger to read, but they are well out of my price range. I do not have a dvd player or a PC, just a kindle & I like books (good lod fashioned paper.)

Kind regards all

I really like the idea of this thread (who doesn’t like some good books right?), however we do have a music and book reviews section for this kind of thread. If I’m correct, recommendations are basically reviews and the mods may want to move this over to that section of the forum.

And if they do I’ll definitely go over there to check it out.

Pieces of Eight by Gordon White; one of the best books I’ve read in quite a while. It’s from the Chaos Magick arena, but I think Traditional Witchcraft was kind of the archetype for Chaos Magick so it shouldn’t be a long journey from home. It gave me quite a bit to chew on, which was very refreshing given the last 4 or 5 books I’ve read did little more than piss me off.

The Science of the Dogon: Decoding the African Mystery Tradition -

by Laird Scranton

(exceprt from back of the book) - "The Dogon people of Mali West Africa are famous for their unique art & advanced cosmology. Their creation story ... strikingly resembles modern physics definition of matter, beginning with the atom & continuing all the way thru string theory. Their structure of matter (Amman's Egg) resembles that in myths of ancient Egypt (Benben stone). "

I learned from this book that a culture's cosmology - it's story of creation - is a blue print of their magical system, a key to their code.

I really like the idea of this thread (who doesn’t like some good books right?), however we do have a music and book reviews section for this kind of thread. If I’m correct, recommendations are basically reviews and the mods may want to move this over to that section of the forum.

And if they do I’ll definitely go over there to check it out.

You took the words right out of my mouth.. or the fingers out of my keyboard.. you know what I mean  ;)

Moved.

I thought I'd posted this in the book reviews section already... forgive me. My mobile can be iffy at times & I don't own a PC or tablet.

I'll read anything, it's just a majority of books are lacking in substances I haven't already read about in one form or another elsewhere. I'm just seeking new material & I like the science behind magick to.

Kind regards all!

• 2 years later...

I just got done listening to a book by Augusten Burroughs called "Toil and Trouble". It happened to be the only witchcraft book available at my local libraries audiobook downloads and it happened to be a very good book that I feel represented witchcraft and witches in a good light. Augustine Burroughs is a memoir writer and this one is about his life as a witch and how it's helped them and some of the troubles that come with witchcraft. It's a good read if you get the audiobook Augustine burrows does the narrating and it's done well enough it'll keep your attention and interest peaked through the whole thing. I definitely recommend.

As a Kiwi i find it hard to find stuff that is southern hemisphere friendly but 'Witchcraft; theory and practice' is gd for both hemisphere's. The only book i had for years that was not fluffy bunny. 

I am fascinated by all these recommenations - i was a bit under a toadstool about the existence of stuff like this. . . . .packages w books are landing on my patio at a rate of knotts.

Thanks. . . .

On 10/3/2021 at 2:37 PM, banabhuidseach said:

As a Kiwi i find it hard to find stuff that is southern hemisphere friendly but 'Witchcraft; theory and practice' is gd for both hemisphere's. The only book i had for years that was not fluffy bunny. 

I am fascinated by all these recommenations - i was a bit under a toadstool about the existence of stuff like this. . . . .packages w books are landing on my patio at a rate of knotts.

Thanks. . . .

Juiliett Batten's 'celebrating the southern seasons' has much to recomend it, though has more of mainstream slant. there is little NZ stuff because europeans have been here for a relatively short time. If you can find a tohunga to teach you there is a fair bit of maori magic, herbology and cosmology you could choose to incorporate. If your local iwi talk about taniwha in an area, listen to them . Otherwise (to the best of my knowledge) it's a case of figure out what works for you here, or talk to some other kiwi witches and see what works for them.

For example, Puriri to me serve a role similar to oak - warding, doorway, keeps the memory of the woods as it is ancient. I feel they are all female (though that may not be correct botanically) and they come with a slice of blackthorn's inimical, slightly threatening nature.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:31 PM, FrozenThunderbolt said:

Juiliett Batten's 'celebrating the southern seasons' has much to recomend it, though has more of mainstream slant. there is little NZ stuff because europeans have been here for a relatively short time. If you can find a tohunga to teach you there is a fair bit of maori magic, herbology and cosmology you could choose to incorporate. If your local iwi talk about taniwha in an area, listen to them . Otherwise (to the best of my knowledge) it's a case of figure out what works for you here, or talk to some other kiwi witches and see what works for them.

For example, Puriri to me serve a role similar to oak - warding, doorway, keeps the memory of the woods as it is ancient. I feel they are all female (though that may not be correct botanically) and they come with a slice of blackthorn's inimical, slightly threatening nature.

Awesome - yes i have Juliet Batten's book, i'm on my 3rd copy because ppl keep 'borrowing' it. This one doesn't leave the house.

I haven't had the chance to meet a tohunga but i was talking to a kuia from a local iwi and were talking about our beliefs n she said we had more in common than we had that differed. She was wonderful to talk w but has since passed. 

I also scored a copy of 'the meaning of trees' by robert vennell. That's also interesting.

I guess the majority of the stuff we get here is from overseas, but i'm re-configuring it for what i find here.

I've been a witch for 30+ years, but my practice has taken a bit of a 90degree turn, i want it to be more personal.

'Folk Witchcraft' by Roger Horne has been quite enlightening, and very inclusive.

Thanks for your post. Much appreciated.

BanaB

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:35 AM, spectropoetics said:

I think it was plastered all over social media so you may have seen it but apparently Year of the Witch by Temperance Alden is pretty good (by which I mean it was recommended by people I trust, I haven't read it yet). It's about finding ways to honor and work with the cycles of your locality, especially when the cookie cutter wheel of the year doesn't sync up.

Thanks 

Funnily enough, i've not heard of this one - i live in a bit of a 'cone of silence' when it comes to media of any kind - but i'll look it up 

Edited by banabhuidseach
Grammar gaffe