6 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

I have to say, I've found myself rather immersed in my quest for some bloody good books on science & magic. Do any of you have any recommendations?

I find the typical crafting books rather simplistic, we all arleady know about the elements, circle casting etc ( I don't use circles) & I'm past all of that a long time ago. I love scientific theories in relation to the magickal realms. There are some boooks I'd give my finger to read, but they are well out of my price range. I do not have a dvd player or a PC, just a kindle & I like books (good lod fashioned paper.)

Kind regards all

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#2 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:01 AM

'6 ways:Approaches & Entries for Practical Magic' - by Aidan Wachter touches on some scientific links/investigations as does Gordon White's 'Chaos Protocols'.

6 ways is around $30 and CP around $25?

What areas of science/magic cross over are you most interested in? What are on your wishlist?

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#3 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:31 AM

I really like the idea of this thread (who doesn’t like some good books right?), however we do have a music and book reviews section for this kind of thread. If I’m correct, recommendations are basically reviews and the mods may want to move this over to that section of the forum.
And if they do I’ll definitely go over there to check it out.

#4 Kathen

Kathen

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

Pieces of Eight by Gordon White; one of the best books I’ve read in quite a while. It’s from the Chaos Magick arena, but I think Traditional Witchcraft was kind of the archetype for Chaos Magick so it shouldn’t be a long journey from home. It gave me quite a bit to chew on, which was very refreshing given the last 4 or 5 books I’ve read did little more than piss me off.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

The Science of the Dogon: Decoding the African Mystery Tradition -
by Laird Scranton

(exceprt from back of the book) - "The Dogon people of Mali West Africa are famous for their unique art & advanced cosmology. Their creation story ... strikingly resembles modern physics definition of matter, beginning with the atom & continuing all the way thru string theory. Their structure of matter (Amman's Egg) resembles that in myths of ancient Egypt (Benben stone). "

I learned from this book that a culture's cosmology - it's story of creation - is a blue print of their magical system, a key to their code.

#6 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

I really like the idea of this thread (who doesn’t like some good books right?), however we do have a music and book reviews section for this kind of thread. If I’m correct, recommendations are basically reviews and the mods may want to move this over to that section of the forum.
And if they do I’ll definitely go over there to check it out.

You took the words right out of my mouth.. or the fingers out of my keyboard.. you know what I mean  ;)

Moved.

life is better with a biscuit

#7 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

I thought I'd posted this in the book reviews section already... forgive me. My mobile can be iffy at times & I don't own a PC or tablet.

I'll read anything, it's just a majority of books are lacking in substances I haven't already read about in one form or another elsewhere. I'm just seeking new material & I like the science behind magick to.

Kind regards all!

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.