Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by WVWitch

  1. Good day, all. Yesterday, June 21, marked the Summer Solstice, and as always we were determined to have a bit of a celebration. My wife, daughter, sister, cousin and myself all loaded up our little recreational kayaks and went out to the local lake a couple of hours before dusk. Initially we became concerned that a number of large thunderstorms would encroach on our celebration, and to be fair we did sit out a brief storm for about a half-hour. The storm worked in our favor to dispel the muggy oppression of the day, and after a short paddle we were entrenched on a small island several hundred yards from the shore. We set up a couple of torches to augment the failing light and placed solar lamps around the island. A picnic dinner ensued, the highlight of which would have to be lemon-currant cookies provided by my 12-year old daughter for just this occasion. After dinner we got out several percussion instruments (including a djembe) and made a bit of music, playing with rhythms in the gathering dark. As the evening drew to a close we gathered our things for the brief paddle back to shore and were treated to a lightning show in the distant skies as additional storms were closing on the lake. The skies directly overhead were clear and the stars shone down upon us, twinkling softly. This also marked the first time I had paddled my own kayak since the surgery on my arm over a month ago, and though the paddle was somewhat inefficient (and a bit uncomfortable at times) it was gratifying to be in my own boat again. All in all, a most marvelous evening. Happy Midsummer's Day, all! Kurt
  2. WVWitch

    Impending surgery...

    An update: my first post-surgery checkup yesterday went better than could have been imagined. The rate at which my body is healing has astounded the surgeon - consequently, he anticipates that his original estimate of 6 weeks before returning to normal use will probably hold true after all. I am permitted to take off the sling during the day and use gravity (NO weights) to stretch the tendon and muscle gently, and I can now lift light objects (a cup of coffee, for instance). I opted to not mention the use of Chinese liniments and ch'i work in the accelleration of healing, nor anything witchy. :-) Many very sincere thanks for the concerns and kind thoughts! Kurt
  3. WVWitch

    Impending surgery...

    Surgery was far more complex than expected - broken tendon had attached to the main artery feeding blood to my arm. Fixed now, but the 45 minute outpatient surgery turned into a 2 1/2 hour surgery with overnight hospital stay. Sincere thanks for the kind wishes - I'll hopefully be back to work Monday but full recovery looks to be 4 - 6 months out. Kind regards, Kurt
  4. WVWitch

    Impending surgery...

    The consult with the surgeon was this morning - it is worse than anticipated, as the tendon is completely torn through. He is in a mad panic to get me into surgery as quickly as possible, as tendon repair is apparently somewhat time-critical and if he waits too long it won't heal correctly. Surgery is tentatively scheduled for next Tuesday, pending confirmation of the surgical suite being available. The surgeon is reputed by several of my physician friends to be the very best in the state, so if it can be successfully done he is the fellow to do it. Many sincere thanks for the well-wishes!
  5. Good day, all. On 17 April 2011 I was two days into a much-needed vacation and was starting the week off with a bit of fun. That morning I found myself in the driveway alone loading a couple of recreational kayaks onto the top of my vehicle for a quick paddle around the lake. As fate would have it, one kayak became unstable on the roof rack and fell. Instinctively I reached out to catch it (they weigh in at 48 pounds) and the moment it struck my arm I knew I had screwed up - I heard a faint 'pop' and felt white-hot pain surge up my arm. Promptly I fell to the pavement, clutching my arm, trying to keep the nausea under control. A trip to the emergency room confirmed there were no broken bones, and the doctor there indicated it was most likely a muscle tear - I should be fine in 3 or 4 days. The bruising was positively technicolor for two weeks and the pain continued. Finally realizing the damage must be more extensive than originally thought, I saw my regular physician who confirmed my worst fears - there is a tear in my distal bicep tendon. Tendons don't heal well without surgical intervention, and if left alone my arm will be weak for the rest of my life. I am now awaiting a consult with the surgeon - my right (dominant) arm will be useless for 3 - 4 weeks afterwards. Bummer of a way to start the summer. Kind regards, Kurt
  • Create New...