Practicality, Tips and Tricks

Here's a few more tips:

*Magical cast iron containers can be "seasoned" with infused oil for a purpose. 

*Fingernail clippings can be plant offerings as they decompose (eventually) to feed the plant.

*Also a water bottle of plant food works well as an offering.

*Used dryer sheets can be used as mojo or spell bags in a pinch

*spiral sea shells make great spell containers

*A laundry drying rack works great for drying herbs in places where you have no space to hang them. Also cooling racks for cookies with a paper towel works good for drying out things you can not hang. 

• Upvote 1

If you have time and it's a nice day, why not go to your local County Fair ?

This year, Himself and I went, and I was so pleasantly surprised when walking through the Animal Barns.  You never know what you're about to come across.

I commented on this particular Chicken, the 4-H participant reached inside the hen's cage, and handed me 2 of her solid black feathers.

That was rather kind of him, wasn't it ? :)

Regards,

Gypsy

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, but here's mine:

I could never burn loose herbs for incense because I could never find those charcoal disks. Yesterday I had the idea of spreading tinfoil over a frame and lighting a tea light underneath. Pop the herbs on the tinfoil and they burn perfectly well. Temperature can be controlled depending how close the tinfoil is to the flame of the candle.

I used a censer bowl with holes in the side so the candle could still get oxygen, but a frame could be made out of anything in a pinch, like two cups, a ladle, or heck, you could probably mold the tinfoil to sit above the candle by itself.

• Upvote 2

If you use crystals in your workings, keep an eye out for local rock and gem shows. They have a fantastic selection including specimens that are hard to find and there are usually discounts for the show only which will save you a lot of money. More often than not the vendors can also tell you a great deal of information about the pieces, such as where they were sourced. 

Some wonderful posts in this thread - I've learned loads already :) 

If you use crystals in your workings, keep an eye out for local rock and gem shows. They have a fantastic selection including specimens that are hard to find and there are usually discounts for the show only which will save you a lot of money. More often than not the vendors can also tell you a great deal of information about the pieces, such as where they were sourced. 

Some wonderful posts in this thread - I've learned loads already :smile:

Good information.  Another way you can get good raw gems is to mine or pan for them yourself.  There are a bunch of different areas that allow you to do so especially around the North Carolina /Tennessee area. That is how we have obtained ours.  In a witch shop the amount of raw semi rare gemstones would have cost me a fortune, not including the rare ones we found, but it cost me 50 bucks in the mountains.

I know rose and white quartz are very common crystals that can be picked up just about anywhere now, but if anyone ever needs a big chunk ( as big as your fist or bigger for example ) then do not buy from new age stores or even gem shows as they overcharge.

Go to aquatic stores ( you may also find some online ) . I have a BIG lump of rose quartz that I bought from an aquatic shop while ogling new fish. They had a large rock selection for tanks, and there was a whole basket of rose quartz and white quartz ! It's usually sold by weight and is sold for aquaria because it's inert and doesn't leach into the water. But I got that big lump for under £10 ( $15-20 ish )  If I recall correctly. It's about the size of 2 fists put together so it was a real bargain.

• Upvote 2

Amazing thread and so many wonderful ideas.. CG, the doily would also make a great dream catcher. 

I dont have much to add to all of the great suggestions. I carry a satchel with me most places and like others have mentioned I keep a stash of plastic bags, paper towels (to wet and wrap around any root or clippings I want to keep viable until I can get home to root it properly), baby food jars are small and work welll for any liquids you might want to collect. I also keep a couple pairs of disposable gloves in my satchel. Other things I try to always have on hand is a small sketch book/journal with colored pencils for drawings and to keep notes of where I collected items. Also its always good to have a sharp utility knife on hand, nothing is more frustrating than trying to break a tough branch or dig up a root with your bare hands especially when you are on your way to a fancy ta-do and arriving with dirt under your nails might be seen as "inappropriate" :scared:

As others have mentioned most everything you need you can find already in your home. I keep used coffee grounds for an asundry of uses, as well as egg and nut shells; I store these in a plastic tub under the sink.  I also keep a collection of paper towel and toilet tissue rolls ( the brown center after all the product has been used).  Its perfect for containing and burying certain workings, simply fold the edges and drizzle with a bit of wax to seal the deal.  Craft stores carry small linen sachet bags, I use these for protections and simply stitch them inside my childrens jacket pockets and to the underside of pillows for sleep and dreaming.

Something else I have collected and not readily available to most unless you are in the medical field. The small vials IV medications are stored are great for small inconspcious workings, and collection. Most have a tight rubber stopper that can be removed and replaced. These can also be wired across the top and used as pendants for jewlery and tailsmans..

Edited by LdyShalott
  • Upvote 1

Something else I have collected and not readily available to most unless you are in the medical field. The small vials IV medications are stored are great for small inconspcious workings, and collection. Most have a tight rubber stopper that can be removed and replaced. These can also be wired across the top and used as pendants for jewlery and tailsmans..

I have tried my damnedest to get someone to give me a few of those vials. No one will! :(

I'd appreciate any input on how to deter just regular flies. We have these large blue bottle flies that do not bite like a horsefly, but man are they annoying ! We're taking to using a flyswatter while sitting out and enjoying the new deck. I don't want to use a regular paper swath to hang, as it looks so gross.

Have you tried peppermint oil? Not sure if it will work the same way on blue bottle flies, but I know the black flies hate it. I use the essential oil mixed with water in a spray bottle and spray it around the house in the summer to deter them. 

I'd appreciate any input on how to deter just regular flies. We have these large blue bottle flies that do not bite like a horsefly,

but man are they annoying ! We're taking to using a flyswatter while sitting out and enjoying the new deck. I don't want to use

a regular paper swath to hang, as it looks so gross.

CG, put about 5 clean and shiny pennies in a ziploc baggie that has been 2/3 filled with water and hang anywhere you are doing your workings. It works especially well in doorways to keep them away from porches and decks! The reflection off the pennies drives the flies mad and will drive them away to avoid the reflections. :-)

Some other tips I've learned:

Keep ALL herbs out of reach of cats. I once came home to a kitchen floor completely dusted with feverfew.

Hang a satchel of cloves above a child's bed to deter nightmares.

Use balm of gilead buds in oils, ointments, salves, and purfumes as a natural preservative.

Use fabric hoops and paint pens to make cloth talismans an easier process.

Use 90% isopropyl alcohol to infuse smoking blends with herbs to lend a hint to the smoother herbs without the harshness (i.e. lavender soaked in isopropyl alcohol, strain the lavender, then add the lavender-infused alcohol to a mint/mullein mixture for a smoother inhale with an undertone of lavender)

Use makko powder to make cone incense with powdered herbs.

Make portable, wearable, and hanging oil diffusers with air-dry clay or pieces of broken terracotta with a hole drilled through them, then infuse with essential oils.

I'm more tips and tricks will come to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Howsabout

Don't trust anyone ...

Everyone has their own agenda .. that isn't nasty it's fact and even the well meaning can wrest your path awry.

or anything!

The first entity to put it's hand up always charges more than anyone else.

Scott

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

WhiteRose, Thank you so much for starting this thread.  

Just got done chopping habaneros for my chili and thought of this post.

To get the pepper oil off your hands in order to avoid any painful incidents (touching your eye.... or, even worse, I had a friend who had a mishap with this while inserting her feminine hygiene product!!! OW!) use some rubbing alcohol or even the hand sanitizer gel. The alcohol will cut the oil. Milk (full fat) will work, too, but seems wasteful....

Haha, had a mishap with an ex and Vicks Vapor Rub.... Oowie for sure :smile: Maybe after a few drinks, I'll tell you my Crisco story :P

@ Celtic Gypsy -- Love your mirror idea (all your ideas, actually) but I rarely wear make-up so that'll take forever... BUT, while I at local craft store I came across a bag of mirrors of varying shapes and sizes. Ebay sells them, too... very affordable. 

At the Dollar Store, I purchased a wide vase that fits chime candles perfectly.

I wanted another cauldron, cast iron w/ a with a lid ( I REALLY LIKE FIRE ) so this thread helped me consider another option --  Found it at Amazon (free shipping)

My old cauldron is now used as censor (kitty litter for a base) I'll use beach sand once winter is over.

@Scott --  sad but true, sad but true, sad but true.

When I boil bones, my pets love the left over water (instead of throwing it away) 

Thanks to EVERYONE for their suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

If your lucky, you may have a grocery store that sells things in bulk. Mine has a bulk spices area. I pay a quarter or less the cost of packaged herbs and spices (ie: $3.95/lb rosemary, just as an example or $5.95/lb for nutmeg) and i can buy as little or as much as I need.

A good majority of my herbs do triple duty: cooking, medicinal and magical. I haven't purchased anything from the spice section of the grocery store in years. I buy the herbs I don't grow 1-4 ounces at a time (online - there's nowhere around here to buy in bulk) & use my herbs-only coffee grinder to powder a little bit of those I use in cooking/baking & just refill the bottle/jar.  Most spice-aisle herbs are up to ten times the cost of what the same amount is if you buy even just an ounce at a time. The bulk stuff is usually much fresher, too.

Great topic!

- If you want to get permanent protection directly on your body and are considering getting a tattoo, you might want to look into white ink tattoos. It's certainly not for everyone but white ink can create an elegant tattoo on your body without being too obvious.

- In case you need to make a poppet all you need is yarn, scissors and something to wind the yarn around (a piece of felt paper, a cd-case or just someone's hand).
Wind the yarn around the paper until you've got a nice bundle. Do this twice, but make one bundle slightly bigger than the other. Tie the ends of the smallest bundle with a piece of yarn at about a centimeter from the ends. Tie it tightly, then cut open the ends. These will be the arms and hands.
Then take the bigger bundle, tie yarn around one end so it will make a ball (the face), then put the arms through the bundle, tie it up underneath the arms so you will have a torso. Now divide the other end in two, tie the ends and cut them open again to make feet.

- During the winter or early spring, your herbs can be sown in a propagator. Instead, use one of these:
http://www.deguldenroede.com/webshop/4443-811-large/pak-halfvolle-melk-demeter.jpg

Cut out one side, but leave about 5 mm to 1 cm of the edge.  Fill with soil, add seeds and put wooden skewers through the corners. Now you can make a "lid" with transparent film. If you wish, you could paint them or decorate them.

- You probably have protected your home already, but what easier way to do it than use a hatstand or coathanger?
Get a wooden plank (yew, rowan, elder though it's said to give bad luck inside the house) of any kind of tree you associate with protection. Now go to some forest, find thick branches. Basically, what you will want to make is this:
http://www.gimmii.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/HK-living-takken.jpg
Again, use any kind of tree you associate with protection. Screw these to the wooden plank, and hang it in the hall near the entrance of your home.

- If you have a wooden fence around your house, you can drill holes in it and fill it with enchanted marbles or other objects. Marbles just give a great effect when the sun shines.

- Go to sleep early and get up early to walk the dog while the sun is about to rise. Collect dew from plants and trees.

- Need a quick way to make trays to hang on the wall? Cut a plastic drink bottle in half, clean it out and make a hole for yarn or a nail to go through. All you need now is some yarn and/or nails to hang it somewhere. This can be used for flowers, sorting items while you're working in the kitchen, or for other uses.
OR you could get creative and make your own herb garden (ideal for the balcony). Take a wooden plank, cut the upper part from big plastic bottles. Make it big enough to put soil and herbs in it. Remove the cap and put each of the bottle tops above the other on the plank (the plank needs to be vertical for this, not horizontal). Now put some wool or something else that will soak up water but let it leak through if it's too much, while keeping the sand from falling out of the bottle. Fill it with soil and put one herb in each of the bottles. When it rains, the water will slowly drip down from the first bottle to the one underneath it. Make sure the herb that needs lots of water gets in the top bottle.

- Carve a circle out of the top of an apple so that you can put a tealight in it.

- Redecoration/rebuilding your garden or yard? Especially if you have a front yard and are using a path made of big garden stones, write something on the underside. The first could be to keep evil away, the second for creating harmony, etc.

- Slice a lime and push cloves in it. This will keep mosquitos away. Doing this with oranges is said to keep wasps away.

This came to mind due to the popularity of the tarantula thread, but a decent spider repellent for your garden is about 10 drops natural dishsoap and 10 drops of citrus essential oil in 1 liter of water. Shake well, and spray around perimeters. Must be reapplied weekly for best effect. Place lime, lemon, and orange peels in the garden to amp up spider repelling properties. I know that spiders are beneficial natural predators, but if you live in an area like me where black widows and brown recluses abound, I'd rather not have them hiding in my plants.

Perimeters of lavender and mint will also repel spiders from your garden.

Jus to add - be careful what kind of soap you use. Don't use anything with degreasers or stuff like that as they can actually do damage to your plants. Ivory works best, imo. (ivory works for everything, lmao)

Here's one I came up with yesterday:

I have several of those 2 dram bottles of oil that will NOT stay upright.  Everytime I reach for one, the rest of them fall over, no matter how careful I am.  I just could not find a way to store them where I could read the labels easily or where they would remain in an upright position.

Inspitation struck me when I reached for a gem clip in my desk drawer.  I had purchased a container of gem clips from an office supply store a few years ago.  The container is clear, with a lid and is about 3 inches in diameter.  The 2 dram bottles fit in the container perfectly.  I placed the bottles facing outward around the inside of the container and stuffed the center of the container with some left over bubble wrap to hold them in place.

Now I can keep them all in one container in an upright position and I can easily read the labels.

• Upvote 2

Here's one I came up with yesterday:

I have several of those 2 dram bottles of oil that will NOT stay upright.  Everytime I reach for one, the rest of them fall over, no matter how careful I am.  I just could not find a way to store them where I could read the labels easily or where they would remain in an upright position.

Inspitation struck me when I reached for a gem clip in my desk drawer.  I had purchased a container of gem clips from an office supply store a few years ago.  The container is clear, with a lid and is about 3 inches in diameter.  The 2 dram bottles fit in the container perfectly.  I placed the bottles facing outward around the inside of the container and stuffed the center of the container with some left over bubble wrap to hold them in place.

Now I can keep them all in one container in an upright position and I can easily read the labels.

That's pretty cool.  I bet it saves your furniture stain too if there is a leak. 

I reuse mini liquor bottles, many can be bought for around a dollar.

Actually I don't know where to put this, it's either a tip or bizarre trivia. If you do works by the fire you can throw in magnolia leaves, fresh ones pop or crack.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Lots of great ideas in this topic, thanks people!

I never get rid of old leather jackets and shoelaces, they are neat material to make pouches from.

My backpack which I rarely leave the house with is filled with practical stuff like latex gloves, plastic bags, small empty bottles, hand detergent gel, scissors, a pocket knife, pen and paper for quick notes, etc.

If I can't take something with me directly, I hide it to be able to collect it later.

I always take anything that seems to speak to me, it's better to throw unused stuff out later than to be sorry I didn't take it with me.

I'll post some more when I think of it.

Edited by Horne