Sign in to follow this  
Whiterose

Practicality, Tips and Tricks

Expanding on the advice about charity shops - great place to find tools as well. I got two awesome stoneware style chalices and a gorgeous cornucopia candle holder. Supermarkets will also have great oil bases for sale (almond, grapeseed, olive etc).

And to add to the herb thing - if you want mandrake root, make sure you ask before buying, a lot of places advertise mandrake root but it is in fact mayapple and not stated.

• Upvote 2

Leave 2-3 pages blank in the front of your books - put each entry in a list to form a working table of contents. Write it down, now, even if it's not perfect or in order - you WILL forget what you did or what you added. You will get to know the order things are written into your book as you fill it in and refer back to it. I like that it ends up being almost a string of events and workings that you can go back and look through in the order they happened/you thought of them.

:deadhorse: The items you collect yourself are far more useful and 'powerful' than anything you can buy, whether it's the "right" material or not, you picked it up and it has a significance for you.

Freeze small samples of blood etc. in empty pill jars and freeze them. Small volumes of these can be very useful on the fly. (Esp if you cut yourself by accident - may as well benefit from it!)

Another bump on the burning subject - when burning paper, be prepared for some of it to flake off --while on fire-- and float away... onto your ___________ [floor, curtains, pets, books, etc.], Be ready to put a pot lid over your working surface (non-flammable!), or work near/in a hearth or fire pit.

Use a dream catcher made by you. Very useful in dream work, sleep protections etc. I think I have a thread or pictures somewhere on here with mine and instructions.

Sums up my life philosophy, including my practices: "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -A. Einstein

• Upvote 4

Some excellent tips so far, great topic :)

Can't really add much I'm afraid except maybe carry a couple of freezer bags/small plastic bags with you when out and about in case you pick anything up that may be poisonous/staining etc. that way you can put it in your pocket without touching it or muckying your clothing. You really don't want to be handling amanitas then go for a burger..

• Upvote 3

I'm sure "I'm preaching to the choir" when I say, "Use your imagination and repurpose items you already have." When I thought I needed an athame I took an oyster shucking knife(I liked the 'look' of it), cleansed it, sancified it, painted it, and baked it. Bingo! An anthame I like and feel close to because I imbued so much into it.

Also, I always keep a bucket of rock salt to bury small items in for grounding.

• Upvote 2

I thought of some more while shopping online to restock my supplies.

- If you are going to infuse oils or "brew" anything in bottles that have herbs in them, use a wide mouthed jar instead of the cool looking skinny cork topped ones. Otherwise getting the herbs out, if you want them out ever again, is going to be a real pain in the ass either involving lots of rinsing, pounding the bottom of the bottle or tweezers depending on the herb you put in. Use the skinny ones for concoctions that have the herb strained out.

-Dont stack your glass jars on top of one another in the cupboard. I had a couple tumble out and smack me in the head. Glass jars flying on to your head is no fun.......don't stack. If you have no space, put up another shelf or get some shelf inserts. This also lets you know what you have at a glance and you wont be rummaging to find what you need.

-Store candles wrapped. Otherwise they will smell like any incense you have in the space with them, they will get gouged, and they will pick up the color of their neighbors. You will end up with a "whore" candle that looks like its been everywhere and picked up things along the way. ;)

• Upvote 3

LOL ! WhiteRose you're killin' me... " whore" candles ????

I have to wear a "hair net " at work, due to the food regulations, under my hard hat. One size fits all. I was dillying about with mine the other day before work, the mesh of it is much smaller than lets say an " onion bag ". So I put the Northern Flicker Woodpecker inside my hair net, I picked up that morning, to experiment on the size and just what could fit within the confines of this mesh/net. Then I stretched this hair net out, and put a 7 pound cat inside. I observed how the mesh didn't stretch as much as the elastic. I'm not sure if this particular hair net is will degrade with flesh. When I bury an animal to collect the bones, I use a window screen material. I may have to experiment with this... Hair Net.. LoL !

Regards,

Gypsy

For me - don't obsess on what is beyond your control or ability. You'll only make yourself miserable and lose focus of what you can do. The world has changed, so has the walking of the Path with it.

If you can't grow everything yourself, don't even like cooking up all your own stuff (and don't own an oven, lol), then don't worry about it. Find a reputable witch online who you trust their views and ability to invoke, and buy supplies you don't have access to with your time or location limits from them. And don't be afraid to email them and ASK them their path, their beliefs, and how they invoke what they are selling. If they can't or won't answer, assume they don't know and don't buy from them. That the most important thing is your connection - not doing every little thing exactly how it was done "back in the day." Live within your own life, likes, and desires, not back in some romatacized past. Follow the core beliefs within your own circumstances.

M

• Upvote 5

Great suggestions so far. I already do some of these, others I will remind.

Some things I do:

If I want to burn something I always make sure it is dry enough. Once I did a spell where I wanted to burn rye that I collected some days before that, but although it didn't seem like this, it was slightly wet. It took me forever to set it on fire. So now I dry plants in the oven before burning them in the fire.

If you ruined your table clothes, your carpet or your favourite jeans with candle wax, put a piece of blotting paper on the wax blotch and then use a flat iron on it.

Sometimes you get a tarot deck or oracle that just won't speak to you even or maybe you loose some cards of the deck and don't want to use in anymore for readings. Then you can use it in spells. Many cards show persons, you can use them as a symbol for the one you want to influence, reach or curse. You can also use the King of Wands as a general symbol if you want to meet a man who is a bit passionate. Or you can use cards with coins on them for money spells etc.

In asian stores they sell paper money (which they use for their dead), which is perfectly suited for money spells. There are also their moneytoads and lots of other useful things (alas the incense is often horrible).

Always collect and freeze some water from rainy thunderstorms. You can use it the icy way directly after unfreezing for a spell which needs this cold, stormy energy or you can boil it if you need some fiery thunder energy.

Lip- or eyeliner is perfect, if you need to draw a symbol quickly and don't have something other than that with you. Plus you can work on your skin and can easily remove it.

• Upvote 5

Always collect and freeze some water from rainy thunderstorms. You can use it the icy way directly after unfreezing for a spell which needs this cold, stormy energy or you can boil it if you need some fiery thunder energy.

Good tip, I collect the water but hadn't thought to freeze it.

I would also like to add on the point about not having everything you need. You actually do, if you learn to work with what you do have on hand, including a thing or two about the vegetation, etc. in your immediate surroundings. I know that especially for newer witches it can be discouraging when they want to do a spell, they are researching, and it seems for most spells they find as a model to follow seem to have something or another that is either not on hand, harder to get, etc. But consider this, in the old times, practitioners did not have access to everything either, nor were there witch shops specifically for them. They naturally used and would have worked with the types of vegetation that was able to grow in their immediate surroundings, as well as finding the most effective uses for mundane items they had on hand. What is important is not how fancy and exotic you can make a spell, but whether or not you can make a very effective spell; thus something that we can do with a number of things already at our disposal.

• Upvote 4

I thought I would write this one maybe more for me than others lol.

Don't be afraid to ask for help! Not knowing everything is not a weakness and asking for help when your stuck is a sign of wisdom.

Try new things, they might not work quite as expected the first time but you learn by doing far more than just by reading.

Listen to your intuition it will lead you down the right path ignore it at your peril.

Never limit yourself , if you think it's impossable then it will be.

Nature provides all you will ever need, never think something store bought or premade is better. By making things with your own two hands your building a connection that money can't buy and anouther witch can't give. I don't use wands often and there are so many beautiful ones you can buy but the one I found with true power is the one I made of juniper that I decorated with feathers and beads.

If you feel a pull towards a magical path even if its one you haven't tried or don't have a ancestoral connection to try it . It may well be that there's something there waiting for you to find it.

Edited by Athena
  • Upvote 3

Ok I have a few more.

* Food coloring and elmer's glue makes a wonderful glass paint. It turns the glass to look like "sea glass". Useful for witch bottles, glass candles, and ornaments/witch balls.

* Eucalyptus oil dissolves adhesive and cleans urine

* A wood stove is great place to dispose of things and to simmer a pot of something for a spell.

* Pure Peppermint oil is caustic to the skin. Small painful blisters form and the skin dies leaving a largish painful and raw area. All this from opening the cap and some leaking on two of my fingers without my notice...until it started to burn. Be careful with the stuff.

• Upvote 3

what is elmers glue,im dying to try this,sounds really fab.I was thinking of stenciling one of my windows .yes a wood stove is pretty handy ,lol.Good bread to be had also.

what is elmers glue,im dying to try this,sounds really fab.I was thinking of stenciling one of my windows .yes a wood stove is pretty handy ,lol.Good bread to be had also.

http://www.elmers.com/

Its kids school glue or all purpose glue.

:blondmoment: Thank you whiterose,i guess our version is PVA.I shall give it a go.

Sara, have I told you lately that you fucking rock? Very very nicely done.

• Upvote 1

as discussed in another thread, not long ago, I favor a wooden box with loose leaf pappers for keeping notes on spells, etc. I can add and retrieve easily and i love the way it can be decorated with personal symbols and things.

I use a cast iron pot with sand to hold candles or for burning paper... for an indoor or even an outdoor fire. May i stress that I keep another container of sand to put out anything I'm no longer burning as well as a tight fitting lid? The sand is great for drawing symbols and fire safety is no joke.

Cats love the energy of workings, as was said before, but they're oblivious to the fact that they are flammable. They will rub up against a lit candle or incense or even tip a holder with hot wax all over themselves. Not to be macabre, but they will also run like hell if they singe or catch hair on fire, which of course, feeds the flame. While I'm lucky enough that these things have never happened to my kitties, I have heard enough horror stories to feel it worth a mention. I did have a kitten that tried to rub on a lit cigarette and earned himself a scar on his nose. It's a horrible feeling when a beloved pet gets hurt, even accidentally, while in your care.

I love a coffee grinder for most things but it makes powdering eggshells a dream.

Asian markets carry loads of unrefined sea salt and rock sugar supercheap.

Mexican or other Latin markets carry cast iron pots and pans at really low prices. I do feel the need to warn that anything imported from other countries may not have the same regulations as the US. For example, some dishware in import stores may have been painted with lead paint and shouldnt be eaten off of. I have some but I use it specifically for the lead content in workings.

The local healthfood store may carry things I used to buy online like vegetable glycerine, bees wax and castille soap base at comparable prices, minus shipping.. I also found natural honey from local farms, flower specific, by the pint, quart or gallon! I paid about as much for a pint as I would for a lousy 6oz in sir honey bear at the market. Any fresher and I'd have to keep bees myself.

If your lucky, you may have a grocery store that sells things in bulk. Mine has a bulk spices area. I pay a quarter or less the cost of packaged herbs and spices (ie: $3.95/lb rosemary, just as an example or $5.95/lb for nutmeg) and i can buy as little or as much as I need.

• Upvote 4

Ok I have a few more.

* Food coloring and elmer's glue makes a wonderful glass paint. It turns the glass to look like "sea glass". Useful for witch bottles, glass candles, and ornaments/witch balls.

* Eucalyptus oil dissolves adhesive and cleans urine

Oh, my, Whiterose! I LOVE the idea of Elmer's and food coloring for glass paint! I think I'll make some "stained-glass" window hangings!

I use Eucalyptus oil for almost anything... love the smell!!!! (Surprised I don't draw every koala on earth to me... ;) )

• Upvote 2

I use Eucalyptus oil for almost anything... love the smell!!!! (Surprised I don't draw every koala on earth to me... :wink: )

I thought your go-to EO was Pine. :D

Sign in to follow this