Sign in to follow this  
sarasuperid

How to Teach Yourself

I think that's bloody marvelous. Im sure it will help loads,plenty in there to do/start with. Good call S :thumbsup:

or birdology (okay sue me I don't know the latin names) other natural craft)

*giggle* Its called ornithology. My Dad is one. ;)

(An Ornithologist, not a bird)

• Upvote 2

Love it, Sara!

I want to add that everybody's got their something. I have come to similar conclusions about those 5 things being what makes up the craft (more or less) but not everyone is going to take to 1 or 2 of those things yet may excel at another. For example, I suck at herbalism and natural things. I'm not terrible but it's just not my thing. However, I took to the Tarot like a fish to water. Go with your gut and with what works for you but do go with it.

Most definitely, those five things are just a general foundation. I am not very strong with certain areas, but I find I do often go back around the "pentacle" as time goes by. And of course there are other things I didn't even list, that are kinda beyond the basics. I figure if you know a handful of herbs, trees, stones and/or feathers(and other animal bits) you can use for witching then you are set for a while. And so on through the five "points". What is also key here are there are so many ways to approach this. Except the spell work then you gotta light a candle no other options(just kidding!).

spellcaster.gif

(ps, if you are disabled in a way that keeps you from using candles, of course, don't mind me, use another method that works for you)

• Upvote 1

How very generous and succinct. :clap:

This might make a good pinned topic, though I am not sure how that all works.

I never even mentioned what brought me into the craft, history and mythology. But those are so reading focused and not doing focused.

Excellent advice Sara!

For those who can't burn candles, crystals are excellent (or any lump of rock ... it's all of Earth), this takes your spell (IMO) via earth rather than the air. At this time of year, another really nice way of sending spells to the ether is by using dandelion clocks, although unlike candles, these are a one-hit ... but dandelions are normally quite abundant.

xx

All I can say is, I wish I'd read this when I first started out. I've spent so much time stressing that I can't pick something up or do something and not thinking what I can do. It's taken me until this year to accept that I'm the Medusa of the plant world. I can kill them just by looking at them. Chill the heck out and just look at what I've got growing naturally around me. Whereas I'm better at animal magic. I can't meditate (in the classic way) to save my life but sitting under a tree with my eyes open & watching nature is when the magic happens.

As for candles. My father went into a blind rage whenever he thought I was doing 'that stupid magic stuff'. Actually he went into a blind rage over pretty much everything. He stormed into my room once and blew the candle out so I had to start all over again. After that I learned to be sneaky. I had to do candle spells in stages. Let them burn for a bit, then snuff out, then relight, snuff out etc. My spells worked perfectly fine. Maybe the fact that I was rebelling against a bully and not just giving up meant I summoned some strength & that strength was transferred to the spell. Maybe the universe likes a bit of deviousness!

All I can say is, I wish I'd read this when I first started out. I've spent so much time stressing that I can't pick something up or do something and not thinking what I can do.

" Today is the first day of the rest of your Life "

Author unknown, but attributed to the 1960's era. ;)

Regards,

Gypsy

" Today is the first day of the rest of your Life "

Author unknown, but attributed to the 1960's era. ;)

Regards,

Gypsy

How true!

Great topic Sarasuperid! It's accessible to anyone starting out and doing based! Super nice! I'd vote for this to be pinned too!

Guest Rev. Gregori

i miss my ouija.:confused:

Very good advice. Your suggestion of automatic writing/drawing is something I hadn't even thought of doing on a regular basis (I've tried it a few times throughout my life, but never seriously). Definitely will start doing it more.

Thanks, Sara, this is a great topic. Methinks I should get a big 3-ring binder for collecting all my info (despite liking the look of hardbacked personal grimoires, one of every subject stacked together, it's kind of hard to edit those).

Thanks, Sara, this is a great topic. Methinks I should get a big 3-ring binder for collecting all my info (despite liking the look of hardbacked personal grimoires, one of every subject stacked together, it's kind of hard to edit those).

I guess it depends on how you use your grimoire. If you are just starting out and learning I would use a journal and a binder instead. A journal just to record your thought and discoveries during special experiences, like your mystic, spirit medium, and seer stuff could all be kept track of in a dairy. Then for your natural craft, you might just keep a separate notebook/photo album for it. For a while you will just want to keep your spells in the diary, but once you develop your core spells (if you do, many do different spells everytime) you might take the developed knowledge from your notes and make a grimoire. The binder is for all the stuff you print out from online, photocopies from books, and random notes you took when you didn't have your journal on scraps of paper and can put in there. Its nice because you can put in dividers and move things around.

My book is just a hardback book with a bunch of other loose pages shoved in there. It does the job.

Whatever you do, don't let perfectionism keep you from getting started. A binder full of print outs and hand outs is a good way to start out, that's what I did at first.

• Upvote 2

I guess it depends on how you use your grimoire. If you are just starting out and learning I would use a journal and a binder instead. A journal just to record your thought and discoveries during special experiences, like your mystic, spirit medium, and seer stuff could all be kept track of in a dairy. Then for your natural craft, you might just keep a separate notebook/photo album for it. For a while you will just want to keep your spells in the diary, but once you develop your core spells (if you do, many do different spells everytime) you might take the developed knowledge from your notes and make a grimoire. The binder is for all the stuff you print out from online, photocopies from books, and random notes you took when you didn't have your journal on scraps of paper and can put in there. Its nice because you can put in dividers and move things around.

My book is just a hardback book with a bunch of other loose pages shoved in there. It does the job.

Whatever you do, don't let perfectionism keep you from getting started. A binder full of print outs and hand outs is a good way to start out, that's what I did at first.

Thanks, Sara, that's a good idea.

While this is all great advice and I applaud the OP for the in depth explantions and advice, I want to thank all those peers who inspired this thread from the foundational basics thread, especially Shadow Touch, as she has lended the "Gathered Thorns" from her own tradition. Thanks again Shadow Touch, the "Gathered Thorns" are really a great way for the newbie to start.

:beerchug:

http://www.tradition...dational-basics

Thanks, WR. And thanks for reminding us where the points are from, actually I first learnt them from a book by Gramissi. :red_witch: I forgot where I'd found it. I wish I'd used something else now :pumpkin_rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Thanks, WR. And thanks for reminding us where the points are from, actually I first learnt them from a book by Gramissi. :red_witch: I forgot where I'd found it. I wish I'd used something else now :pumpkin_rolleyes:

Hey no problem. If it works use it. I kind of had a feeling Grimassi was involved. :thumbsup: Overall though, I thought it was great post and it will surely help tons of people get started.

Inspiration needs to be taken from where it is found, anything and anyone can be a trigger. A butterfly is beautiful but fleeting, a cockroach is ugly but will survive a necular holocaust. To not accept iinspiration because one didn't like the source would be as blind as (or worse) never being inspired in the first place :-)

M

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this