Sign in to follow this  
Sylvan

What is your New Age tolerance?

...I get really frustrated with their automatic assumption that we're all love, light & blessed be.

This is how I feel when I go onto facebook or various forums and everyone assumes every other member is from the USA or Northern Hemisphere only. It gets tiring.

Plus they're 'working' with Christian angels & slagging Christianity at the same time

Technically they are Jewish or Hebrew angels, they were just appropriated by the Christians - and now by New Agers.

For me, there are two New Age movements - the more serious one which includes naturopathy, herbalism, kenesiology, and then there's the whacko fringe. We had an ad on TV here once, showing someone getting a new age treatment. They were laying on a table and this guy was slapping together two large fish above them, while humming. Yep, whacko fringe. I passed through New Age on my journey, but couldn't take the focus only on light and love. I'm naturally drawn the dark and brooding, I could never fit completely and didn't really understand why at the time. That being said, I still work with crystals (as well as other rocks), I still meditate which came out of that movement for me and I do reiki, which isn't necessarily a new age thing to me, as it's about working with energy. To each their own.

I suppose some might view a lot of what I do "spiritually/religiously" as new age, but one of the main differences I notice is that I know why I do it. Like so many Xtians who put up an Xmas tree and exchange gifts, but really have no clue why other than "everyone does it - it's tradition" but they don't know WHY its a tradition or what the actual meaning behind it really is, so the connection is lost. I really try to know why, to the best of my ability, and to uphold certain traditions due to their actual meaning, which I support and believe in within my craft.

I work a lot with woods and trees. Hence I own several wands and I carry one with me at all times, including at work or grocery shopping or sleeping. Many view wands as a "New Age" tool. Yet ask a Wiccan or a New Ager why they use a wand and they'll tell you "it's an extension of me and I use it to direct energy in spells." Okay, fine, but WHY do you use it... WHY do you need an extension of you? Why not just use your hand or finger, then? And usually they can't answer that. In my craft, I CAN answer that. And the wand takes on a whole new depth of meaning for me.

M

Edited by Michele
  • Upvote 1

The more secure I become in my own ways, the more tolerance I have for others attempting to find their own way. If they seem happy and whole, I rejoice for them. If they seem tortured by ways they think they should practice, I grieve for them.

Mostly I shop at the grocery store, hardware store, camping and hiking store, and the art store. I can't think of anything I would need at a new age store. When I do buy a book now, I read it like a paperback romance novel-quickly and lightly. Kindle versions are fine for this, as I won't be taking any notes or using it as a reference, any more than I use a romance novel as reference for sex. Most books--of all kinds--are just diversions and idea starters.

I don't know. The path I'm traveling right now is quiet and passive, but...stronger and deeper. I don't believe that passive is synonymous for weak. I know a lot of others here have no use for the 4 elements, but I've always connected with them. I guess I'm into a earth element period: passive, cold and dry, but certainly not weak. I sometimes feel like a pile of rocks that others are blowing over, while I just watch, and burrow even deeper down. Maybe I'm depressed, but I think it's FAR more than that. I just feel like it's a necessary time in the cycles of life. It's a balance to what has come before.

I don't talk about the specifics of my path with anyone in real-life anymore, and even very little online. I haven't felt the need to, anymore than I feel the need to talk about my sex life. I generally don't ask them about their path or their sex life either; frankly I'm not interested. If they seem to be in trouble and ask for my advice, then I will ask them questions designed to help them help themselves move onto a less destructive path, but that's about it.

They don't affect me. I'm not one to advertise myself and I don't looking into what others are doing either. That's not to say I'm antisocial, quite the contrary, but it's a shield I rarely bring down in social situations. On the odd occasion that I have gotten roped into any kind of religious discussion these days, I have generally declined to participate or simply walked away. :bolt: I used to revel in the shock value of messing with people. Oh the fun I had! But these days it just isn't worth it. Especially here. When I lived in a big city, there was a bigger cross section of diversity. Here, my children would have to bear the brunt of my actions. I just won't have the argument anymore and my life is just nunya (nunya damned business).

But to be honest, it's because I don't care enough about the people I'm talking with to share what is precious to me, and really, that's all it is. My path is my own and not suject to discussion with people I dont know (except here). So to answer the OP, my tolerance is just as it is with any other person. :lalala:

Ditto. But it took me a long time to get there. I hate no one, as they don't deserve my energy, I Love only those who deserve it, and the rest fall into a void of just being... either I tolerate them, or ignore them. But either way I don't care about them or their practices. Where I live, in a small town, if there is other Witches, they keep to themselves, as I know of no others. But the "new agers" have grown vast in number over the last few years including some that I had one time considered friends. If they are happy then so be it, but I know its a phase and they will move onto the next "thing" to try to bring something to their otherwise miserable lives. Me, I'm happy with myself, my journey and keeping to myself and my family who understand me. That is all I need. :vhappywitch:

but I know its a phase and they will move onto the next "thing" to try to bring something to their otherwise miserable lives.

How do you know they have miserable lives? Are you talking about just your friends that you've watched and they've told you their life is miserable or is it a sweeping statement of all people who become interested in 'new age'? Some people who get into New Age might be miserable, but not all, just as some people who come by the path of witchcraft might be miserable.

Actually, I am talking of a very "few" in this immediate area. As for anywhere else I have no clue. Hence the reason I said

"Where I live, in a small town, if there is other Witches, they keep to themselves, as I know of no others. But the "new agers" have grown vast in number over the last few years including some that I had one time considered friends. If they are happy then so be it, but I know its a phase and they will move onto the next "thing" to try to bring something to their otherwise miserable lives."

And yes I do know them personally, and know how miserable they are, and yes I did my very best to try to help one individual in particular, Over a year actually. But in the end I could not help her, so I quietly backed out, and got bit in the end for it... lol... But yes I guess I can see where it looked like a sweeping statement, and was not meant to go any further then those I personally know of. :yes:

• Upvote 1

My tolerance for new agers is somewhere in the middle. Depends on how much they try to push their new ageness on me. I have a co-worker who is very 'love and light' and even comes into the office early before any one else so she can sage the place. Cracks me up too, because you walk into the office and the smell just overwhelms you and my other co-workers are like 'who's been smoking weed,' lol! She even fans out these color cards on her desk everyday for us to pick a color of the day. She finally got the hint and stopped asking me if I want to come and 'do colors' after telling her many times over that I had too much work to do and didn't have time for them. Overall I just shrug off all the ooey gooey sweetness of the new agers and go about business as usual.

I have an acquaintance that read the book The Secret a few years ago. She was always a bit loopy but since she read this book it has gotten much worse. Now she is on this omen kick. Everything means something. Why is that bluejay sitting on that tree branch outside my window? It must be an omen! She has a favorite website she goes to to look up what different things mean. But there are never any negative meanings. Everything is positive. Any negativity gets thrown out, except the negativity that she creates. LOL

Imo, this is a dangerous way of thinking. I don't think it should be promoted at all. This woman has made some very bad life choices which has affected the lives of her children, because of this way of thinking. I am totally intolerant of it.

Brea

• Upvote 1

Brea,

Thank you for making this point. Not every path is valid, and not every person on a valid path is worthy of walking it. In addition, some people are just fucking stupid. I support everyone's right to choose their own way, but I reserve the right, especially in my real life, to call people on ridiculous behavior and comments. I know others may feel differently, but I do not feel it is intolerant or mean to ask someone for clarification, explanation, etc. or to challenge someone's thought process.

• Upvote 3

Brea,

Thank you for making this point. Not every path is valid, and not every person on a valid path is worthy of walking it. In addition, some people are just fucking stupid. I support everyone's right to choose their own way, but I reserve the right, especially in my real life, to call people on ridiculous behavior and comments. I know others may feel differently, but I do not feel it is intolerant or mean to ask someone for clarification, explanation, etc. or to challenge someone's thought process.

I agree with this. Some beliefs and indeed some people are just plain wrong.

For me, it comes down to why a person chooses to do something or adopt something as a belief. If they tell me they walk five times round their property before leaving the house and can explain why that has meaning and validity for them then I will respect that, even if I can see no way why it would work for me. If they tell me they do it because they read in a witchy book that its a good thing to do but they don't understand why they are doing it or what the supposed benefits are then I'm going to be pretty scornful.

I can accept just about anybody doing just about anything as long as they know why they are doing it.

Brea,

+1

I agree with this. I only want to add that it is good to have an open mind, but if that open mind doesn't have a filter it is liable to get filled with any old bullshit. I also reserve the right to call bullshit when I see fantasy nonsense peddled as witchcraft and reality. Just because someone wrote a book about it, does not mean it is valid.

• Upvote 1

Brea,

:rofl:

Oh I LOVE IT Jevne! :clap:

This is how I look at it. You can do as you wish but if you throw it in my face or just plain do something stupid I'm going to call you on it and give you the truth... like it or not! I'm the "scary" person around here. I have no problem questioning others and calling them on their bullshit! :wink:

I have an acquaintance that read the book The Secret a few years ago. She was always a bit loopy but since she read this book it has gotten much worse. Now she is on this omen kick. Everything means something. Why is that bluejay sitting on that tree branch outside my window? It must be an omen! She has a favorite website she goes to to look up what different things mean. But there are never any negative meanings. Everything is positive. Any negativity gets thrown out, except the negativity that she creates. LOL

Imo, this is a dangerous way of thinking. I don't think it should be promoted at all. This woman has made some very bad life choices which has affected the lives of her children, because of this way of thinking. I am totally intolerant of it.

Brea

I think your acquaintance is my neighbor. I think if I passed gas in her presence she would put a meaning to it.

My tolerance is pretty high, I tend to be overly nice. I'm really selective about the people who actually "know" me so I don't waste much time with new agers, christians, or anyone who might annoy me past the point. I've met many good people (and a handful of witches) through new agers in my area, so for now they are okay in my book. I might not stand on the outskirts practicing spell (if only I could be Jevne for a day), but I do tend to play my own little tricks from time to time when I get bored or slightly annoyed.

• Like 1

New agers can be very judge-y. After just reading a post, telling someone that they are "stuck in the third dimension," there is no need for older forms of magic, and it's now all about karma, Universal Energy, unconditional love, higher vibrational spheres, and all this other bullshit I had to gag on, it may once again be time to polish up my boots(it's rude to insert them in someones ass, in poor condition, after all). Perhaps they'll get a free cookie from karma, for taking a boot up the arse from some 'unenlightened, low-vibrational being.'

Is it me being intolerant, for being disgusted by very judgemental light and love crowd? I don't feel that it is so, I'll let wander their own way unmolested, until they get all nasty and judge others who are 'stuck in the old earthbound ways.'

• Upvote 1

New agers can be very judge-y. After just reading a post, telling someone that they are "stuck in the third dimension," there is no need for older forms of magic, and it's now all about karma, Universal Energy, unconditional love, higher vibrational spheres, and all this other bullshit I had to gag on, it may once again be time to polish up my boots(it's rude to insert them in someones ass, in poor condition, after all). Perhaps they'll get a free cookie from karma, for taking a boot up the arse from some 'unenlightened, low-vibrational being.'

Is it me being intolerant, for being disgusted by very judgemental light and love crowd? I don't feel that it is so, I'll let wander their own way unmolested, until they get all nasty and judge others who are 'stuck in the old earthbound ways.'

I had a giggle at this. :D To me being all love and light is unbalanced and if you only look for the good in people, you are not seeing the bad. If you don't see the bad, you're in position to be fucked over because you don't expect it, but its always there in everyone. So to me, being all love and light is the mentality of a sheep, a potential victim, especially if this convenient "karma" is going to fight your battles and you don't have to grow a spine and pull your boots up to deal with the shit you stepped in. Also, there is that weird tendency for hypocracy that creeps up in the new age movement (which may be a left over from these peoples' christian backgrounds)...preaching love and light, yet being judgmental and nasty to those not in the "clique", just like Aurelian pointed out.

My only real issue with New Agers is their bantering around of the word "karma", like it's some kind of a bank that you can fill to the brim with goodness... yuk! Beyond that, I mostly just ignore them.

• Upvote 1

I keep my witchcraft secret, so I have New Age friends who don't know what I do or believe, and a couple of them have been incredibly condescending in their attempts to 'enlighten' me with hints about ways to a better life. I think the holier than thou attitude sends my tolerance level immediately into flashing tilt-mode more than anything, be it New Age or otherwise.

I'm always torn two ways when it comes to the love and light approach - if it genuinely makes the person happier or more complete, then I almost don't mind the lack of thought or inclusion of all rainbows all the time. On the other hand, even if that approach works, I feel like ignorance is a shaky foundation for anything. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned people working with 'archangels' who were anything but Biblically accurate. If I knew someone who was coming out of a dark place and needed the emotional and mental healing working with love and light 'archangels' and it was *working* for them, I'd be happy for them...but also I'd start to wonder when it would be healthier for them to move on from rainbows and sunshine.

I work a lot with woods and trees. Hence I own several wands and I carry one with me at all times, including at work or grocery shopping or sleeping. Many view wands as a "New Age" tool. Yet ask a Wiccan or a New Ager why they use a wand and they'll tell you "it's an extension of me and I use it to direct energy in spells." Okay, fine, but WHY do you use it... WHY do you need an extension of you? Why not just use your hand or finger, then? And usually they can't answer that. In my craft, I CAN answer that. And the wand takes on a whole new depth of meaning for me.

M

So umm, can I ask why then? :) (I use my hands and finger if needed myself)

I wanted to make a quick point. I have a friend who is all love and light and blessings to you, etc, BUT it is not due to a lack of acknowledging the bad stuff in the world because she was abused by her father, abused by her first husband which involved beatings and him killing her cats, among other things, and has had physical aliments, and just some really tough stuff. I think it was her way of healing, the love and the light, and she's come a lomg way. So with her, I have all the t\tolerance in the world. :) (For the most part, the others can go jump in the lake)

So umm, can I ask why then? :smile: (I use my hands and finger if needed myself)

For two reasons - the trees I actually have a relationship with, and two, because one mixes their energy with the specific energy of the specific tree. When you send energy through a wand (or pull it into you depending on the wand) you are not just sending "your" energy. When you send it through your finger (unless you have invoked something else) you are only sending your energy, and your energy is only you. But your energy mixed with the nature of the tree is a different energy... so yes it can be an extension, but it is also different (and to my way much stronger).

M

Edited by Michele
  • Upvote 2

I wanted to make a quick point. I have a friend who is all love and light and blessings to you, etc, BUT it is not due to a lack of acknowledging the bad stuff in the world because she was abused by her father, abused by her first husband which involved beatings and him killing her cats, among other things, and has had physical aliments, and just some really tough stuff. I think it was her way of healing, the love and the light, and she's come a lomg way. So with her, I have all the t\tolerance in the world. :smile: (For the most part, the others can go jump in the lake)

To me I don't know that it is acknowledging the bad stuff - it is almost like assuming everything "spirit/ual" is loving and wonderful (the opposite of her experiences with humans) rather than realizing you can get hurt as much in the spirit world as you can in this one - maybe more.

M

• Upvote 1

As a rule i'm intolerant of everything.

- except felines? lol lol lol

M

LOL The feline is with me on that one! His thumbs are not opposable yet he opposes everything!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this