Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unseeliekin

Unfamiliar

There used to be this great website that had a list of animals and what they represented as a witch's familiar. This website has been taken down, however, and I'm looking for information on animal familiars in general. Narrowing it down more, I'm looking for information on dog familiars. White dogs, more specifically. Does anyone have any good resource links on this? Any help is appreciated.

:bunny3:

Kaya, there are several threads on familiars. I'm not sure if any of them talk about white dogs, but you can certainly search for those threads to see!

Kaya, there are several threads on familiars. I'm not sure if any of them talk about white dogs, but you can certainly search for those threads to see!

I did input the search key word "familiar," but haven't seen anything I thought would lead me to where I need to go. Still looking, though...

Honestly, I doubt the specific familiar you are looking for will be listed online, and if it is, it will be through someone elses interpretation. For me, it was helpful to widen my view in to the realm of folklore, legend and mythology. If you can find the same information from several sources, chances are the information has a ring of truth to it. Take that information and any information you can get from the spirit itself, if it is possible, and create your own interpretation.

Honestly, I doubt the specific familiar you are looking for will be listed online, and if it is, it will be through someone elses interpretation.

I agree. Familiars are like people, in that they are unique, each with their own chosen form, purpose, etc. Asking what white dog familiars represent is like asking what men named Bob represent. Without more detail regarding the actions of that particular 'familiar', it is hard to say.

J

Kaya, if you really want the information from the removed website and you still know the url (either from your web browsers history, bookmarks or memory) then see if it has been archived. You may be lucky and find a copy that has everything you want.

Kaya, if you really want the information from the removed website and you still know the url (either from your web browsers history, bookmarks or memory) then see if it has been archived. You may be lucky and find a copy that has everything you want.

Hmm, I didn't think of that! Thanks, I'll try looking! Otherwise I'll just have to go with what the others said: I'll have to meditate with my white pup and find out what he has to teach me.

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

Hmm, I didn't think of that! Thanks, I'll try looking! Otherwise I'll just have to go with what the others said: I'll have to meditate with my white pup and find out what he has to teach me.

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

I'm sure there are differences of opinion on this, but I don't think you can just decide that your pet is your familiar. In my personal experience, it really doesn't work that way. Of course, meditating or spending time with your new pup will still help you to connect with him, but that isn't necessarily going to make him your familiar or even your totem animal. I don't know if you have had a chance to read through some of the threads on familiars, but many of the references and comments relate to the spiritual (versus physical) nature of familiar entities. You will undoubtedly note, like I did, the subtle differences among the interpretations of the concept of familiar, though.

J

Hi Kaya

I tend to agree with Jevne. Your white pup is undoubtedly adorable.

It is important to bond as closely as we can with our pets. They are our loved ones, and members of the family, but it doesn’t mean they are also familiars.

Animal familiars were a storm in a tea cup. European demonologists and inquisitors agreed that the Devil could appear as a domestic animal but most frequently appeared in human form.

RH Robbins stresses that the animal familiar “is an almost exclusively English (and Scottish) contribution to the theory of witchcraft; the concept is seldom discussed in Europeans trials or handbooks.” (The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology. P190)

Animal familiars were reported in England in the late 16th century. They became the vogue after James I ascended the English throne.

It was genuinely believed that the Devil gave every witch a minor demon in animal form to implement the witch’s desires.

Fair enough. Some animals were, and are, familiars. The white rabbit was the familiar used by my family, and not white mice as several journalists claimed. (Nothing “fluffy” about my forebears; they were a bad lot.)