Sign in to follow this  
Michele

Working with Spirit and Things Going Wrong

Dear Gypsy,

I have now sewn salt into an old sock, whilst saying what I intend to use the salt for, and will carry this sock with me. I will also put salt in the pockets of my clothes, and my children's clothes, whilst uttering my intention! How wonderfully easy this is! Thank you!

Kind regards,

Heks happydance.gif

And again as someone seems interested in the general topic

Jevne , thanks for the bump. I noticed the topic from the bump , read the thread . Got some more info on the ways , also comfirmation of like minded beliefs. Strong heart wins the day , let not yourself be dismayed .

Nabu

I can relate to what Michele said in her original post. I no longer have any familial guidance or a teacher, so everything I do is trial and error. If I don't try, I stagnate and never move any further but that doesn't come without its risks.

That said, I've had a bad experience. My last house was quite turbulent, spiritually, although I never intentionally called or placated any spirits or entities. At first it was...novel? I don't know what I was thinking. I was never really affected by it so I kinda just blew it off. I'd just listen in and watch as they moved out of the corner of my eye. My husband and kids didn't seem to notice, and I didn't feel any negativity, so I didn't do anything and never thought about it. Obviously, It was a big mistake.

My youngest son started getting sick. So sick to the point of being pulled out of school and given a tutor. The doctor's did a ton of very invasive tests. We were making the trip to the childrens' hospital 3 1/2 hours away, twice a month for over a year. All they could come up with was "Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome" and migraine, but admitted it was due to lack of a better diagnosis.

It took almost 2 years until he, innocently, asked if I believed in ghosts or spirits. He was afraid to say it because he was afraid nobody would believe him. When gently pressed, he told of how he could see them but I have never felt so afraid as I did when he said he could talk to them and did, regularly, answering questions. But there was one that was different. One that terrified him, that wouldn't talk to him. He couldn't see this one but he could hear it and it didn't like him. It scared him and gave him bad dreams, made him feel sick and messed with him and his stuff.

I did everything I knew to do and did research to get rid of it. Things did get better but until we moved, I never got comfortable there again. Since, he's gotten so much better and started growing again. He just hit 6'2" (that's 10 inches and 40 lean, muscular lbs in 10 months!) and will start high school next month. He hasn't thrown up since I did what I did but that was only 3 months before we moved.

As I read through these threads, I learn a lot, and I can't help but worry that somebody new to magic will read some how to book and not realize the responsibility they must be willing to take on, or learn how to get rid of or fix something (if it indeed can be fixed) before they tangle with something.

It's so important to read through everything you can on this forum and take what you see as serious. This path, for me, is my life's work and magic is no joke. I'm being pulled toward working with the dead now but I have obvious concerns. There are books, but I don't know which are authentic and I haven't seen one with a "what to do if this goes wrong" section. And so, I read on... here. Thank you and Please continue to advise.

P.S. M, your son's protective spell is almost exactly the one I taught my son. It really works. It was generous of you to share it with us.

Edited by Apryl

I choose not to use things like this, and instead, I like to meet up with the spirits more in the spiritual realm. I use some creative visionary as well, and create a place for us to meet and take myself there, calling to who I wish to see. So far this as been my favored method but even this isn't perfect and has it's risks too. Like one time, I was dumb enough to drift off to sleep in the middle of it, not ending the session. That surely made for quite a sucky night and I woke up sooo drained.

I too create a place in my mind where I try to meet up with spirits in their realm as I'm wary of giving anything free access to my home. There is a line of salt on each window in here and one at the door and the only place I've allowed access is the closet/altar/working area. And even when there I make sure I let it be known exactly who I'm trying to contact. Using my stern voice helps me to feel more confident, and regularly smudging helps me feel better. I remember Michele mentioning to pay attention to how the energy of your home feels and stay alert for changes/shifts. I believe that's very important too...As far as spirits not being on call whenever, well, I am in the habit of speaking out loud to guides/allies whether or not they are there, lol. Then again I've been known to have conversations with chairs and walls if there's something I just need to express. *shrugs* yes, I'm weird. :D

• Upvote 1

I wanted to add a bit to Michele's original post by saying that, in addition to general spirits and thought-forms, people should also be careful when calling upon ancestors, whether they are attempting to work with specific ancestors, as I do, or with ancestral lines, as Michele does. You really do need to know what you are doing, who you are calling upon, what might come through that you didn't expect, and how you are going to extract yourself from the conversation, if things do not go the way you planned.

Normally, one can rest assured that people, who do not know what they are doing, are unlikely to call up much of anything anyway, but as is said, you should never under-estimate the stupidity of people in groups. I am saying this, because my son has a friend, preparing to join a group of people to perform what they term as ancestor work. I have absolutely no idea what that means to those involved, but the young woman's comments caused my son to raise his eyebrow a bit. She obviously had not been properly prepared for the experience by those in charge, or else she is a total idiot, which makes me wonder why they would include her in such a personal working in the first place. Either way, it made me think of this thread, and the common sense comments about things going wrong made by Michele.

• Upvote 1

That is interesting to me regarding spirit houses and such - I usually see spirits more as "spirit energies" rather than physicaly manifesting sit down and converse with me beings - unless it is a dream interaction (which varies but is much less "human-like"). I also don't want people to think I'm going about offing spirits, lol, but only if there is a problem I would banish it from my house or bind it into something (did that once with an obsidian in a jar, then "let it go" out in the wild). I know that sounds daft, but again re responsibility I didn't want this thing leaving my house and popping into the nearist dewlling (my neighbor's). But my "talking" with spirits for me comes in more like "downloaded knowledge" if that makes any sense. I really don't know how else to explain it. But also, I don't work with the more ceremonial rituals which conjure an entity (often against its will) into triangles in which it is my understanding they do physicaly manifest. I tend to work with things that want to work with me... it seems to be more of a "softer" energy if that makes sense. Yes, one can end up with something not nice, but for me the majority of the time it is something beneficial. With my spirit houses I don't do a ritual to open actually open a specific portal. My thought-form old lady was something different, and becuase of what I was doing it was done in a protected space and was completed in that space until she was bound to me (which I used a blood-cord for) and only then did I take down the protection. I do believe that magic worked attracts attentioin. What we do may not be seen by the neighbors, but it is seen in other worlds and once one waves a flag and yells "Hey all - I'm here" even if they don't mean to do anything other than their specific working, it is seen. A compass laid is a compass laid. One's neighbors may just think its the crazy neighbor walking in cirlces again, but the other worlds know what it is and they take notice.

M

Jeez you are well spoken! :clap:

I wanted to add a bit to Michele's original post by saying that, in addition to general spirits and thought-forms, people should also be careful when calling upon ancestors, whether they are attempting to work with specific ancestors, as I do, or with ancestral lines, as Michele does. You really do need to know what you are doing, who you are calling upon, what might come through that you didn't expect, and how you are going to extract yourself from the conversation, if things do not go the way you planned.

I second this, I made a mistake awhile back and had a nasty come through shoddily disguised as the ancestor I was calling. Bleh.

• Upvote 1

There is good advice here. I've had something happen recently, and I think it was a combination of things. I got rid of...I'm not at all sure what, but I was being affected. I've been playing with my defenses lately, and I'm thinking I might be better keeping them strong. Also, I am one of those horrible witches that senses a presence and tells it to gtfo most of the time. Recent experience tells me to really be careful what I let hang around.

Luckily for me, I had two friends send me pm's asking me if I was okay..lovely people. I haven't thanked them for this yet, as I was in a bad place, but I'll be doing it soon :)

• Upvote 2

One of the first things I would personally suggest is knowing well the energy of your own home. Know it to the point that if things are going wrong (and they may not be that obvious at first) that you can "feel"the shift. If you feel this, address it immediately. And never create something you would not be willing to destroy. If you are a die-hard animal lover then don't make the housing for your spirit in a cute little puppy teddy-bear that you would not be willing to rip to shreds, stab to death, cut to pieces, burn to a cinder, and banish. Don't feel sorry for things and don't take anythign at face value. If your soft-spot is the doe-eyed mistreated child, then that which would work it's way in may well take on that appearance. You have to work on feeling with your gut, not yor emotional associations. Doe-eyed children can have teeth and claws and other things can and do appear in whatever form we are most likely to accept them. Take nothing for granted and take nothing at face value.

M

Some good advice here . . . Witchcraft isn't all sparkling rainbows, pastel flowers, and dancing fairies.  As frightening as those things are, they are nothing compared to what else exists, other less than pleasant entities, that will lie, cheat, steal and use those things that you have created and invoked for their own means and goals.

I second this, I made a mistake awhile back and had a nasty come through shoddily disguised as the ancestor I was calling. Bleh.

I want to add to this because this general thing is an important lesson, one that due to recent events of this pass year I became intimately familiar with.  When someone passes away, there are things that are attracted to the event for whatever reason and love to masquerade as the recently deceased. This is one of the reasons I do not call on people recently deceased or on people I have not known in life.  Its a really off putting and angering experience to have something wearing the face of your loved one right in front of you.  This "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing glamour" is a common trick of things in the other world, but a decent witch can tell by the feel of the air what is a sheep and what is a wolf.  A wolf can not disguise its "predatory air" that sets off alarm bells in the witch. 

They will take on the appearance of your own children too if necessary in order to get through your defenses. Another thing to be aware of.

Dear Michele,

That is a good question. I often felt the presence of a 3rd person in the room when I was with my husband, years ago, and I think that is because my ex-husband neglected this aspect of the religion, did not believe in it, but I did. I often felt "naked" in my own house, both when I was living with my ex-husband and in my current house, in which he never lived, as though I was being observed. But mostly, the djinn would tell me to pray, and paradoxically, to stay away from "shirk", which is disbelief in Allah, which manifests itself by trying to contact djinn!

so, although I felt their presence, mainly in the bathroom and the bedroom, where they live, I never tried to establish any type of contact with them until the day, quite recently, when I held my Witch figurine and left Islam. I then felt like I was being suffocated and I became aware of them. I then cleansed my house and mentally visualised djinn leaving my house. After that, I felt free in my house. By the way, there are supposed to be lots of djinn in shopping malls.

Sounds to me like these djinn are or could be connected to the emotion of 'shame'.  (Bedroom, bathroom, disbelief/faith, prayer, shopping, etc.) Perhaps renewing your own conviction and purpose in life, solidifying your intent and self-knowledge would be good ways to help ward your house and home.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking the same thing as Vermilion. I personally would stand in the middle of the room and tell whatever it was to quit hiding and tell me what it wants, because it's either speak up and see what "we " can do about it or get out.

This topic is a good read for anyone thinking of contacting or working with the spirit world in any capacity . . . bump.

I am very careful when working with spirits thanks to an extremely unpleasant experience in my teens, when a house I was staying in (with other active but much older spirit workers in their 30s and 40s), was, well, invaded is the only word appropriate, by something awful. After banishing the presence and warding the house after a few weird and horrible appiritions, the phone rang. We picked it up, there was nothing at the other end but a hissing crackle, but as soon as we did the temperature in the whole house dropped noticably and the Thing came back in (through the fucking phone line!). It took some heavy work to get rid of it and it was a very unpleasant creature. That experience stayed with me and cautioned me to always cleanse and consecrate any 'spirit houses' or similar with very clear intention and always be very, very specific with the wording in and invitations and invocations.

So far so good, and I never hesitate to destroy anything that sets off my radar.

S&S

Edited by SackeandSugar

Interesting.  I have never encountered a situation; whereas, an entity utilized a telephone line.  I mean, if the entity had enough power to overcome a banishment or break through a ward, you would think it would be able to just re-enter without the melodrama of playing obscene phone caller.  I wonder what about that entity and/or that phone line, being that it was technically part of the house and thus part of the banishing, lead to the outcome.  Another portal would have been easier, such as a person or a mirror. 

The only thing I've heard of is the spirits of relatives contacting the living via the phone...don't know if its true or not.

The only thing I've heard of is the spirits of relatives contacting the living via the phone...don't know if its true or not.

I have seen it in several movies, but not ever encountered it in real life.  Mmm . . . I guess you just never know, eh?

As long as they pay for the long distance charge, it's okay with me.

Never saw it in a movie, but was listening to a radio show on spirit contact.

As long as they pay for the long distance charge, it's okay with me.

LOL!  Wait, I don't have a land line, anymore.  Does that expand or limit a spirit's ability to contact me via telephone? 

Darlin, if you can get soliciting phone calls on your cell, then the answer - no limit (not that kind of soliciting btw)

I genuinely have no idea whether it was the same entity or why whatever it was may have used the phone (I was very young and only just starting to communicate seriously with spirits away from my family practice, everyone goes through a rebel stage I guess and mine was truly idiotic), but the thing was definitely a drama queen, and one of the women there was a sort of sink hole for psychic melodrama herself. Whether it was the banished entity or a kind of projection from one of the other people, who were all very freaked out, I can't say. I just remember the temperature dropping very suddenly and noticably and the shenanigans beginning again.

Edited by SackeandSugar

They will take on the appearance of your own children too if necessary in order to get through your defenses. Another thing to be aware of.

I want to add to this because this general thing is an important lesson, one that due to recent events of this pass year I became intimately familiar with.  When someone passes away, there are things that are attracted to the event for whatever reason and love to masquerade as the recently deceased. This is one of the reasons I do not call on people recently deceased or on people I have not known in life.  Its a really off putting and angering experience to have something wearing the face of your loved one right in front of you.  This "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing glamour" is a common trick of things in the other world, but a decent witch can tell by the feel of the air what is a sheep and what is a wolf.  A wolf can not disguise its "predatory air" that sets off alarm bells in the witch. 

I think this is a situation I've been in for a few weeks due to the passing of a relative at the end of last year.

I've encountered nasties-masquerading-as-loved-ones in past dreams, but over the years have gotten adept at quickly identifying them and employing lucid dreaming techniques to extricate myself from the astral area.  There are little oddities that differ from my loved ones, like out-of-character speech and/or body language. But for me, the BIG "tell" is the eyes.  They 1) can't get the appearance of the eyes just right, or 2) can't maintain the normal appearance of the eyes for very long at all.  What's interesting is that, in my current situation, I feel that whatever 'They' are have realized that I can recognize them, and are playing their game a little differently in an attempt to get me to open a channel with my recently-deceased relative.  Even if I were more advanced in my skills as a witch, when I deliver a message to the ancestral spirit during next week's eclipse, I will not be attempting to directly connect with him due to the amount of overwhelming negative static he has around him.  

I'm curious what others perceive as red flags/warning bells/tells in these instances?

Sign in to follow this