Sign in to follow this  
thevioletsunflower

Advice You Would Give Your Newb Self

there are people out there who believe this is what TW should be, and I see it as a good reason not to try to join a coven or anything like that, as I would not be able to stand people telling me that their way is the only way and I would make myself a lot of enemies, lol! I like the freedom that pervades this forum and I feel totally free to experiment with spellwork as and how I see fit, wearing whatever I want and I am happy doing that.

This is a big one with me. Regarding witchcraft and life, I would tell myself that I should like who I am on my own. If I could do that, I'd realize that I don't need those other people telling me how to do things, and making me feel in the wrong because I happen to disagree. "Be your own self."

Also, I would have to tell myself to SLOW DOWN. You don't need to know everything right away, and in fact, there's a good reason you don't. It's called learning. The journey is more important than the destination.

I would tell my little self, DO NOT,,,,, rub stinging nettle on your breast. Your nan is in the corner,crying with laughter.

( she told me it would make them grow,by rubbing nettles on them)

Edited by aurora
  • Upvote 1

Dear younger self,

Your gift is real and you are not schitzo, hearing things. For fuck sake, LIGHTEN UP! Stop worrying about trying to hide who you are from the world. The only ones that matter either know or don't give a rats ass. And speaking of asses, get off of yours! Your path isn't a path if you don't take it anywhere. You don't need anyone to lead you, it's yours. You learn by doing. I guess that takes me back to, "get off your ass"! I really wish we could have had this chat sooner. XD

Dear younger self,

Don't take things so seriously , life is for living not just researching and reading. Have fun with it, being perfect isn't all it's cracked up to be. There is no right or perfect way in the craft so trying to hard can lead to failure. Don't be afraid to try new things or make mistakes, after all you learn from mistakes and that's the goal. Sometimes what you think is a mistake is really exactly right. Being stubborn is fine but refusing to reconsider your position is stupid after all you can't always be right.

Dear younger self,

1.Despite evidence to the contrary and popular belief you are not a vampire, please stop acting like it.

2.Start reading up on Taoist meditation, that will help a lot in the future.

3.Trust is a valuable thing, do not give it so readily.

4.Research less and do more.

5. You have a particularly strong connection to nature, use it.

6. Despite how grandpa acts sometimes, listen and learn from him, he wont be around forever.

I'm still my "younger self" despite being 45, but...today I learned:

If you need to ask someone how to do it, you probably are not ready to do it yet.

To my younger self,

Listen and learn, even assholes have a lesson to teach even if it's not how to behave.

Don't believe others than what you are doing is wrong because you aren't in a group, thankfully only did one outer court lesson before realising they were ripping off your ideas but it will sting you for quite a while.

Remember all those years playing in the woods as a child, well always remember to play.

Arch

Guest Rowan

Dear Younger Me,

Don't bother printing reams of crap from the Internet. You'll never read it, or when you do try to use it, it will only frustrate you. Do your own thing.

On the other hand, if you don't do those things, you won't learn that lesson, so carry on. Read all sorts of crap and waste a lot of money on pentacle altar clothes and little coloured candle and worrying about how to divide up your 'Book of Shadows'. You'll grow up one day.

Love

From Me

• Upvote 1

Dear Younger Me,

Don't bother printing reams of crap from the Internet. You'll never read it, or when you do try to use it, it will only frustrate you. Do your own thing.

On the other hand, if you don't do those things, you won't learn that lesson, so carry on. Read all sorts of crap and waste a lot of money on pentacle altar clothes and little coloured candle and worrying about how to divide up your 'Book of Shadows'. You'll grow up one day.

Love

From Me

This is great . . . voted it up.

Jevne

Dear Younger Me,

There's a reason why witchcraft is called a "practice." You will fail, but as long as you learn something, it's still a worthwhile experience. Get back on the horse.

Magic is a marathon, not a sprint, and you will need more than one lifetime to understand even half of it. Enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

Guest Rowan

Dear Younger Me,

There's a reason why witchcraft is called a "practice." You will fail, but as long as you learn something, it's still a worthwhile experience. Get back on the horse.

Magic is a marathon, not a sprint, and you will need more than one lifetime to understand even half of it. Enjoy the ride.

Excellent! I voted this up. :)

My advice to myself? Stop trying to force yourself to believe everything you read. Your intuition is more important than some author's opinion. Just because it may work for them doesn't mean it will work for you. You don't have to stop thinking and accept all dogma as fact to become a successful witch.

If I could give advice to my younger self, I would have started this path earlier--years earlier!

Though reading a lot was necessary to my learning, I'd tell myself to focus less on reading and more on practice. Keep reading about different ways of doing things, but pick something and do it. You can always change things later, if you want.

Trust yourself.

Don't believe everything people say.

Don't be too quick to dismiss what people say/be willing to learn from others.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

At first I was going to say I'd have told myself long ago to buy a piece of wood. But then I think, if I had bought a piece of wood long ago, would it have even meant anything to me or become anything more to me other than an old piece of wood? I do think that things ripen and happen within their own time-frame, in which case where I am now is where I need to be now, not back when I was 20, lol! Because if I could have been here when I was 20, I would have been here.

M

• Upvote 2

Guest Sage Stonepath

I would say, " leave your anger and crave for power behind you. "

"remember you're from the boondocks. That is your magic."

"when anger strikes, cold water."

Younger me,

The most expensive is not always gold.

The most informative is not always written down.

You are not always wrong.

Older me.

• Upvote 1

Younger me,

The most expensive is not always gold.

The most informative is not always written down.

You are not always wrong.

Older me.

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost.

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not touched by the frost..."

From Tolkien ... One of my favourite quotes.

M

• Like 1

Listen to your Grandmother, learn everything she tries to teach, even what you think isn't important

Listen to your mother, let her teach you to garden and grow your own herbs and necessary plants that your Grandmother did.

Listen to nature, what your ancestors didn't tell you is easy to learn from the earth itself, make mistakes and learn.

Listen to yourself, never second guess, if you're wrong, learn what not to do next time.

Hear what others have to say, take from it, hear it and use it to learn from, then use what you take from it but don't forget what you didn't.

Read everything, even the things you think you don't need to learn, learning what doesn't work is as important as what does.

Share what you know, help who you can.

Be patient, you don't always get results when you want them, but only when you need them.

Crow

Dear younger self,

Talk less

Listen more

Be honest when you don't understand

Think before you speak

Don't assume an importance on other people's agendas

Question rather than criticise

Whatever actually is at the centre of the universe, it probably isn't you. Clear???

Oh, if only....I know some of this has been echoed before by other people in the thread (especially the point re: books not being absolute); clearly we all needed a good rattling of the head at some point.

Dear Younger Self, No More Than 4....That man you saw that night in your room the night the power went out was real, and he did not mean to frighten you, he just wanted to comfort you because the sudden dark terrified you, who couldn't sleep without a nightlight. That was the last time you ever truly SAW something more than a shadow or flicker; fear clouds judgment.

Dear Younger Self, About 8....Your tiny, tiny toy definitely got lost under the shelf at the big department store, and Mom and Dad were not the ones who snuck it back in your pocket, where you discovered it when you got home, depressed that your parents wouldn't help you look for your toy because the store was so crowded. You should've thanked Them, but I wager They understood that you were grateful. Still, manners: They go a looooooong way.

Dear Younger Self, Near 14....Dear heart, you're not crazy. You are not hallucinating. You are not living in an escapist fantasy. Yes, you have problems, but the stuff you hear and see and know....that's not part of it at all. Denying it might be causing the problems, but the actual hearing and seeing and knowing...that's not.

Dear Younger Self, Age 17...When you try to talk to a God/dess and get an image that they're on vacation, that doesn't mean you're not worthy or that you're just making shit up - it means you need to find different, 'On Duty' folks to talk to. Don't give up.

Dear Younger Self, Year 23...I know it's hard to believe, but damn, books are not EVERYTHING. The stuff you hear and see and know and feel? Look at that for answers, stop trying to find things in books and forums and blogs hoping to find an explanation that fits or at least resembles what you're experiencing. Even if you show two people the same green book, their eyes will not process the green color exactly the same and one will in reality see it a different shade than th other person - and they are both right. Stop trying to find validation in others. And that bitch who ran a meditation exercise for you and a group of other ladies and outright MOCKED your telling of your journey/experience because it didn't match any of their experiences or expectations, causing everyone else to laugh at you and dismiss your experience? Yeah, her...pity her - she was going by the books, and hadn't learned to think outside the pages yet.

Signed,

Me, 29, kind of abashed that it took so long to learn all this and wishing someone had told me it would all be ok.

• Upvote 1

To follow my instincs more. Do not let it get to me when people call me a hag amoung other names when I was a teen cause i wasnt part of conventional religion.

To follow my instincs more. Do not let it get to me when people call me a hag amoung other names when I was a teen cause i wasnt part of conventional religion.

I gotta ask . . . Why did people call you "Hag" for not subscribing to traditional religion? It seems an odd choice of insult for a teenager and for the situation. Of course, you could have been dressing in a pointy, black hat and painting your face green at the time. Now, that would explain it.

Ouch! urmmm sorry just banged my knee.

yes i agree it is a strange thing to be called in this age

Guest atropa

If I were talking to myself 66 years ago I would say dont come out, stay in the womb and for fucks sake ignore you're Witch and live life.

Sign in to follow this