Sign in to follow this  
Stacey

What is your favourite deck?

What is your favourite Tarot or Oracle deck to work with? I have three of each but find that I work better with certain ones.

<snip>

I have found that it is so much easier to read with decks that call to you. The Celtic Dragon, Mystic Faerie and Shadows and Light decks were decks that spoke to me, pulled me toward them and I think, when choosing a deck for Tarot or Oracle, that feeling makes all the difference.

Hi, Stacey -

Oooh...one of my very favorite topics! Let's see...I started out, lo, these many years ago, with the Aquarian Tarot, by David Palladini. Still love the art deco, but I have moved through a LOT of decks since then.

My very faves are: The Druidcraft Tarot, by Will Worthington...The Druid Animal Oracle, The Druid Plant Oracle, the Greenman Tree Oracle, and the Wildwood Tarot, all by Will Worthington. One of the patterns, here, is that I studied through almost to the Ovate level in the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, in which Will is a Druid, and found his artwork and deep understanding simply glorious. Luminous.

My next faves are: The Fairies Oracle and the Heart of Faerie Oracle, artwork by Brian Froud ...The Celtic Tree Oracle, by Liz and Colin Murray...and both the Goddesses Knowledge Cards and the Animal Knowledge Cards, artwork by Susan Seddon Boulet.

I used to use Crowley's Book of Thoth, but I found it rather depressing after years of use.

The ones I use the most when reading for others are the Druidcraft and the Wildwood Tarot. And one that I use ONLY for private meditation is A Voice from the Earth - The Cards of Winds and Changes, by Judith Pintar. This one is based on Native American ideas and appeals to the Native in me.

Blessed Be,

Samara

Edited by Samara

I have tried a few and my Nova mini deck is still my favorite. With the way I choose to read, these are more comfortable in my small hands and the symbolism is simple and speaks to me.

Hi, Whiterose -

What a lovely little deck! I have never heard of it before. I will see if I can find one.

Samara

I'm very picky when it comes to the artwork on the decks I buy, they have to have a beautiful or romantic aspect to them. My most used decks are my Tarot Art Nouveau and Art Nouveau Lenormand cards by Lo Scarabo, there is another deck out there with a similar name, but that one looks kinda hokey, in my opinion. If there was ever an Art Deco inspired deck released, I'd be all over that too. (let me know if you know of one! witch_bounce.gif)

Michelle mentioned that Shadowscapes deck, that looks great and will probably be my next deck. I'm a pretty visual person, and if the artwork strikes me as unpleasant to look at, I'm just distracted and get annoyed. Another one I have that is graceful in style is the True Love Tarot by Amy Zerner and Monte Farber. The fabric collages in this deck are all very well done, but it's not my every day deck like the Art Nouveau.

Hi, Artemicia -

The Aquarian Tarot, by David Palladini. Very art deco. Old deck, though, and am not certain it is still being published. Mine is 40 years old. I used it so much that the paper feels like cloth.

Samara

Guest Morgana Raven

My favorite deck is my newest one called The Enchanted Map oracle cards by Colette Baron Reid. They're beautiful!

I have the Thoth deck which I mainly use and the Ferret tarot which was a present but I have used, it's more a light hearted hearted deck and not sealed so you have to handle the cards very carefully.

I don't use them but my favourite deck that I have are my Salvador Dali Tarot - I am too scared to use them as they are gilded with gold around the edges.

Beautiful pictures and kept in a red velvet box, very nice.

I use the RW mini deck - but I really would like to find ones that really speak to me....haven't found them yet but I keep looking!!

I don't use Tarot much, they don't so much speak to me, but I love the Omaggio a Erte deck, they're so cool!

erte2.JPG

erte1.JPG

I own four tarot decks.

New Palladini Tarot - My first deck of tarot, I just love this deck it is the most used deck so I would have to say this is my favourite. I carry this deck with me where ever I go.:biggrin:

Sacred Circle - I find this deck absolutely beautiful in and really like the feeling I get when I hold the deck but as hard as I may try to shuffle the deck the cards are just too big for my hands so they've hardly been used.

Pagan Tarot - Now this deck is really great my relationship with this tarot is about the same as my New Palladini. The artwork is more modern including everyday images of today's world.

Caliostro Egyptian Tarot - I love this set of tarot card beautifully illustrated, though I've had the deck for a long time there is still much more learning and familiarising myself with them.

post-1706-0-28200800-1346865531_thumb.jpg

post-1706-0-05843300-1346865638_thumb.jpg

post-1706-0-86912600-1346865676_thumb.jpg

post-1706-0-01262100-1346865699_thumb.jpg

I was gifted a Vampire Tarot deck (David Corsi artwork) from an awesome member here, it's so different from any others I've worked with it's really fun to get to know it and sense the different energies that come with interacting with it vs. the more traditional decks. :)

I have one tarot deck that I purchased many years ago. The "Sacred Circle" Deck. The images are beautiful. (Teacup Witch actually posted a pic of them in her reply to this topic.) I always feel as tho I'm there when I'm using them. I have never really had any other need for another one, because these have suited me so well. I always get an accurate reading from these..and give accurate readings as well. Tarot always seems to amaze me. They have never led me astray..and given me warnings when I needed them..and helped me to release some of my inner fears and follow my dreams.

Someone gave me a set of Hawaiian Aumakua Cards recently. They are interesting..but the reading they give is more about being in touch with your highest self (Aumakua) and finding our happy place and recognizing the blocks in your path to your aumakua. I like these cards...but, because of so many hawaiin words and legends about the cards..and using the entire deck to read...it takes me a long time to figure it all out. But..still for fun..I will pull them out and play sometimes.

Maybe one day...I'll buy another deck ...we'll see.

There is another deck that I enjoy reading with. It is the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot. It was designed by Sallie Ann Glassman, whom I have a slight issue with as she mixes the Orishas and the Loas. And also thinks its okay to sacrifice a vegetable to one of the spirits even if it calls for a black rooster, goat, or hen. But that aside I enjoy the art work, and the accompanying book. It is full of great information, and as I am not an initiated practitioner I am ok with a little blending of the african faiths.

t-voodoo.jpg

no_II.jpg

here is a great little blog entry on the deck:

Blog Entry-- Click ME!

Someone gave me a set of Hawaiian Aumakua Cards recently. They are interesting..but the reading they give is more about being in touch with your highest self (Aumakua) and finding our happy place and recognizing the blocks in your path to your aumakua. I like these cards...but, because of so many hawaiin words and legends about the cards..and using the entire deck to read...it takes me a long time to figure it all out. But..still for fun..I will pull them out and play sometimes.

MW11,

This popped up in my "Free on Kindle Today" feed and I thought of you ... maybe something like this will help?

MW11,

This popped up in my "Free on Kindle Today" feed and I thought of you ... maybe something like this will help?

Thankyou so much! I just downloaded it! :)

The first set of Tarot cards I used were my dad's Swiss Tarot, but the only deck I own and currently use is the Norse Tarot by Clive Barrett.

Right now I am using the Halloween Tarot deck and I love it. Although I have many decks I seem to go through phases where I use just one. This Hallowween deck is whimsical and fun.

I also work with runes occasionally, but they are more work for me.

It's easy to have a favorite when you only own one - the Gilded Tarot. I love it and think the artwork is beautiful, but I'd really like to buy a couple more decks to suit whatever mood I'm in at the time. Maybe one with a more "mystical" feel to it, or one with a dark side. There's some great suggestions in this thread, though, so maybe I'll pick up a couple that you guys are using.

Aside from those, though, I've had my eye on the following for a while...

The Steampunk Tarot

The Archeon Tarot

Fantastical Creatures Tarot

Greetings Lilikate, All,

we will not speak on what the Baphomet does to me, lmao. I think that's the one I want. Very nice chatting with you tonight! ;)

I should have known better than to look in a Tarot Thread! It reminds me of a project I have been meaning to do - now I can't rest till I have gotten it done! gah!

THAT SAID - the Baphomet deck is one of many I have and I find it really is picky .. it decides when and what to say to me. The bopok by Akron that came wirth it (not sure if it still does these days?) is highly recommended. Not so much really from a Trad perspective but in that Akron is actually a practitioner and knows his stuff .. well! The book alone, I find I read and reread just to remind myself of what my brain aught to be able to do!!

Fraternally,

Scott

I like the pictures on the Vision tarot, but the Thoth tarot is just handier considering I got it at playing card size so I tend to use that more. Though tarot ain't exactly my first choice for divination so even that isnt all that much

I love my very first deck, the Goddess Tarot by Kris Waldherr. It's gorgeous, and I seem to read well with it.

I recently bought the Radiant Rider-Waite, because I wanted to learn the symbolic imagery in that particular deck. So far it's great and I'm getting accurate results with it, also.

I think I'll be sticking with those two decks for the time being, until my tarot skills get better (still trying to memorize all of the card meanings).

This imagery and symbolism of this deck is certainly evocative....

ace-cups2.jpg strength2.jpg sun2.jpg king-cups2.jpg

Sorta diggin' it, Savage Tarot by MicheleX...

This imagery and symbolism of this deck is certainly evocative....

ace-cups2.jpg strength2.jpg sun2.jpg king-cups2.jpg

Sorta diggin' it, Savage Tarot by MicheleX...

Synchronicity, someone just suggested that deck to me a couple of days ago lol..

Synchronicity, someone just suggested that deck to me a couple of days ago lol..

I'm really digging these cards, and I don't usually feel drawn to cards with images of photos of people on the cards.

The Tarot de Marseille. Either the Heron Conver edition or the Kris Hadar. I love them both.

Tarot of Marseilles is really the source for me. Or, at the risk of having stuff thrown at me, the Ur-Tarot. I know there were earlier decks and that it wasn't chronologically the first, but it just feels "right". I perhaps should of learned more of the history of it, but I've always just trusted how I instinctually feel when I use this deck. When I use other decks I feel as though I am looking at the Tarot through the eyes of the creator of the deck, and just as when you put on someone elses's glasses, the view you get is out of focus and not quite right. With the Marseille, I am not seeing through anyone elses eyes because it is the original. All other decks are someone elses' interpritation of Tarot. Rider Waite, for instance, is Tarot through the eyes of Ceremonial Magicians, a subject I have no interest in whatsoever.

The difficulty I find with many of the modern decks is that whilst their creators might be fantastic artists, then often don't know very much about Tarot, and as a result their decks feel very flat and shallow and I struggle to make any use of them.

Sign in to follow this