Blood, Knots, and Cords

I will just nip in and say that using menstrual blood as an offering or "feed" for plants may cause them to grow insanely! Which is precisely what happened to a piddly little aloe vera i bought because i felt sorry for it ( had about 3 leaves )

It ended up a 2and a half foot monster with numerous babies.

Blood (mixed with water, just as with any fertilizer) works so great on plants! This would be especially good if you are trying to make a certain type of connection with a plant familiar.

(as always, check to see what kind of fertilizer your plant likes and when it should be fertilized and how often, you can buy blood fertilizer for plants, or of course you could use your own thinking.gif)

I will just nip in and say that using menstrual blood as an offering or "feed" for plants may cause them to grow insanely! Which is precisely what happened to a piddly little aloe vera i bought because i felt sorry for it ( had about 3 leaves )

I have been meaning to do this for forever. One easy method is, if you use cloth pads, to soak them in water and use the water from that soaking in your pots/garden. Another is to use the Diva or Luna cup. But I use cloth pads and I have always thought I was being wasteful not using the goodness from them. I really need to get on that...

Absolutely! Certainly if you speak the language that's superior. If you don't but know someone who does that's the next best thing. This is a third viable option that I was offering for future reference. Not trying to one-up you ;) (said because I realize now it could have come off as such)

Oh, no worries! Have used such in the past for phrases, etc., but never really trust what I get. (I ran that blog through the google translator & had a very good giggle at what it came up with.) I've also been known to bribe friends who speak languages I don't with copious amounts of alcohol for translation help.

I feed my rose bush this way and some of the other plants... just chuck the tampons/pads in a bucket of water for a while (talk about recycling, lol).

M

Edit: Oh - what is a used tampon good for? A teabag for a vampyre!!!!

Well, that was a fun exercise! I'll admit that my French is a little formal and runs more to business; not flowery, descriptive and idiomatic. The literal translation made her sound like an idiot. I hope I did her justice. (There are a couple of stilted phrases but I just couldn't figure out how to say it smoothly in English.)

Mountain Witch, thank you for your expertise, energy and time doing this translation. I had to chuckle at people not liking others with 'veiny body parts', because most athletic people have this appearance, especially when pumped. Heck I have it all of the time to a certain degree, from doing southern kung fu for many years. No one has ever said my hands/arms look grotesque, LOL. To the contrary most would look at it as a sign of strength. The strength of the internal energy driving the blood through the veins and arteries.

Well to get back on topic. I view the drawing of blood as payment for the working being done. Some have the theory that if one does not provide a payment, it will be taken for the working, and you may not like what that payment might consist of, so make your payment, and what better way than your own blood. Offerings I view as giving something to elicit their assistance in achieving the purpose of the working, but I do not view it as a sacrifice, as you are taking it from something else to give to what ever help you want, ie. a flower or food, water, is not yours to give and therefore is not imo a sacrifice because it comes from something/someone else. But, blood is yours and to draw it out is a very personal sacrifice or payment.

Regarding menstrual blood, I do not have it, so cannot comment on it, but, I can see the sense of the article saying it is dead blood. Not sure if this applies when doing a working though, but I guess it is like everything else in the craft, if you believe it will, and apply it as such, then it works in that way for you.

Just my thoughts.

M, I don't use Google Chrome but I can tell you that online translators more often than not make a hash of it because they do a literal translation ... they're not able to take into account language nuances. If it's a language I speak, it's a lot easier & faster to do my own than to translate the translation!

I agree. The google translation comes out just weird in a lot of cases.

In the hoodoo tradition, and other folk-magics, menstrual blood is served to a male in his drink as a means to capture his attention, especially sexually. By filling his sub- conscious with your pheromone scent , you are attracting his sexual arousal and conscious desire. So it can be used as an offering to a male god-form, depending on your intent and desire, the relationship you wish to establish and what the god-form requires.

I like the idea of leaving menses as an offering for roses..

The rose bush I look after and use for some workings, I think would like any type of blood. I know it grows ferociously when given drawn blood (and you do not need a lot).

Regarding menstrual blood, I do not have it, so cannot comment on it, but, I can see the sense of the article saying it is dead blood. Not sure if this applies when doing a working though, but I guess it is like everything else in the craft, if you believe it will, and apply it as such, then it works in that way for you.

Just my thoughts.

I have only very rarely heard anyone refer to menstrual blood as dead--I suppose one can state that something doesn't work for them if they believe it won't. But I find that to be totally untrue--penicillin will still kill bacteria in your body whether you believe in penicillin or not... The magic we cast works on our targets in many cases even though the target does not believe in magic. The statement that menstrual blood is dead and blood shed froma vein isn't is totally a personal point of view with no medical back up...The blood that is shed during a period is the same blood as in veins and arteries. And menstrual blood has the added bonus of containing sexual fluids and an egg. All the better. If folks don't want to use menstrual blood, more power to them. But I think the choice to perceive the blood as dead is robbing oneself of a very powerful and long proven magical component. And why anyone would want to do that, I don't know. If it is all about belief, why not choose to believe something more useful?

• Upvote 1

I have only very rarely heard anyone refer to menstrual blood as dead--I suppose one can state that something doesn't work for them if they believe it won't. But I find that to be totally untrue--penicillin will still kill bacteria in your body whether you believe in penicillin or not...

I should clarify, I know penicillin won't kill all bacteria in your body, but it certainly affects some.

I have only very rarely heard anyone refer to menstrual blood as dead--I suppose one can state that something doesn't work for them if they believe it won't. But I find that to be totally untrue--penicillin will still kill bacteria in your body whether you believe in penicillin or not... The magic we cast works on our targets in many cases even though the target does not believe in magic. The statement that menstrual blood is dead and blood shed froma vein isn't is totally a personal point of view with no medical back up...The blood that is shed during a period is the same blood as in veins and arteries. And menstrual blood has the added bonus of containing sexual fluids and an egg. All the better. If folks don't want to use menstrual blood, more power to them. But I think the choice to perceive the blood as dead is robbing oneself of a very powerful and long proven magical component. And why anyone would want to do that, I don't know. If it is all about belief, why not choose to believe something more useful?

I stated I could understand why one might consider menses for certain workings as not the best to use. As I mentioned, I have heard it, which does not say I agree nor disagree with it, just simply that I can understand it, because, if you look at it from a medical perspective, the blood is carrying the remnants of the egg which is now not going to function (or at least not for long) and other tissue which is also dead. The menses are a discharge from the body of what it will no longer make use of, and in that way, if you are so inclined, it could be used for intent of a similar nature rather than a 'building or nourishing' nature. I agree that the blood itself is the same as that flowing in the body, but it is also different - based on contents and perhaps hormones.

Most agree that the intent is what drives the purpose of a working, and if the 'tools' used fit that intent (in your mind and belief) then it would add to the power to the working. I do not think how penicillin works is the best analogy to use here though, and it is known that one's intent/belief can result in a medicine being more or less effective in the body.

I stated I could understand why one might consider menses for certain workings as not the best to use. As I mentioned, I have heard it, which does not say I agree nor disagree with it, just simply that I can understand it, because, if you look at it from a medical perspective, the blood is carrying the remnants of the egg which is now not going to function (or at least not for long) and other tissue which is also dead. The menses are a discharge from the body of what it will no longer make use of, and in that way, if you are so inclined, it could be used for intent of a similar nature rather than a 'building or nourishing' nature. I agree that the blood itself is the same as that flowing in the body, but it is also different - based on contents and perhaps hormones.

Most agree that the intent is what drives the purpose of a working, and if the 'tools' used fit that intent (in your mind and belief) then it would add to the power to the working. I do not think how penicillin works is the best analogy to use here though, and it is known that one's intent/belief can result in a medicine being more or less effective in the body.

I didn't ean to respond to you, but rather your summary of the article, sorry if i seemed to be directing my argument towards you rather than the article. I saw that you didn't necessarily agree with the article.

I have a different understanding of magic than "most", however, I do think belief can serve the witch, she should not allow it to rule him or her, so many fluffy (again, not referring to the folks here just talking about my view) disregard huge areas of magical practice in service of their very limited beliefs, and I say to that why? I often see those same fluffs bemoaning the sad states of their lives, perhaps if they had their beliefs molded to serve them instead of recoiling from very useful practices they could actually improve their lots.I think that tools should serve intent, and that the best tools should be used. A poor understanding of what the best tools are could mean a witch's intent could be thwarted.

Penicillin is a good example a person who doesn't know how things are could fuck up their intent to get better by disbelif that the meds will help them. Wouldn't it be better if they used the very effective tool and believed in it when they intended to get better?

....I think that tools should serve intent, and that the best tools should be used. A poor understanding of what the best tools are could mean a witch's intent could be thwarted...

Or worse, depending on the nature of the tool and how well the witch understands its use (IMO lol).

M

I didn't ean to respond to you, but rather your summary of the article, sorry if i seemed to be directing my argument towards you rather than the article. I saw that you didn't necessarily agree with the article.

I have a different understanding of magic than "most", however, I do think belief can serve the witch, she should not allow it to rule him or her, so many fluffy (again, not referring to the folks here just talking about my view) disregard huge areas of magical practice in service of their very limited beliefs, and I say to that why? I often see those same fluffs bemoaning the sad states of their lives, perhaps if they had their beliefs molded to serve them instead of recoiling from very useful practices they could actually improve their lots.I think that tools should serve intent, and that the best tools should be used. A poor understanding of what the best tools are could mean a witch's intent could be thwarted.

Penicillin is a good example a person who doesn't know how things are could fuck up their intent to get better by disbelif that the meds will help them. Wouldn't it be better if they used the very effective tool and believed in it when they intended to get better?

My bad (misunderstanding) of your post...thought it was addressing what I posted.

I guess I misunderstood the way the penicillin example was used in your post. I read it as 'that it works regardless of belief'.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph and I also agree that belief should not limit oneself, but many people (including witches) do.

I say, use what is in line with your present belief to make it stronger, to reinforce it. No sense in using a tool that you think is not in line with the intent of your working, because it would weaken rather than strengthen it.

I think one should remain open, not closed minded, because what you disregard today, may be something you might use down the line.

Here's part of an interesting site that I found very funny in a good way:

Re: menstrual blood as fertilizer?

I have a friend who watered her zucchini plant with it one summer, and won the largest zucchini contest at the fair......

I use a mooncup( as they are called here in the UK) . I just pour some of the contents straight into the plant dish and add water. I'd find soaking pads and tampons rather messy by comparison , plus I live with muy parents and it's not really the sort of thing you want your dad stumbling across :o

Menstural cups don't suit everyone but for those who haven't tried one and wish to collect pure menstrual blood without having to dilute, I strongly reccomend giving cups a go. They are made of soft rubber and are very comfortable IME. I'd never go back to pads or tampons unless caught unawares and need one in an emergency ( my body like to re-set the timing )

I have a random little tree-ish shrub thing in a pot on my windowsill. No idea what it is but I saw it on the reduced shelf in the garden centre and felt sorry for it. I also have a small jasmine type of plant, which has beautifully scented white star shaped flowers when in bloom.

They're the only plants I can fit in my room but they both now get the blood treatment. I've only recently sarted giving it to them so I'll see how they go size-wise. I don't want another triffid incident!

The most growth ballistic mixture I've ever used is Menstrual blood, aquarium water ( from doing a water change on my tank) and the squeezed out contents of my aquarium filter ( on the rare occasion it needs a rinse)

All that iron, nitrates, phosphates and christ knows what other nutrients were what did my aloe vera.

The filter is due for a clean next month....I may make up large pop bottles of the supergrow stuff to take down to "my" ( HA! ) Blackthorn down the allotment. And the veg too.

Edited by Honeythorn

I use a mooncup( as they are called here in the UK) . I just pour some of the contents straight into the plant dish and add water. I'd find soaking pads and tampons rather messy by comparison

I'm the opposite. I can't do cups or tampons and soaking pads is very simple- place pads in something like a big mayo jar (obviously emptied and washed) with water and when it has soaked for a bit take that big thing and evenly distribute it among your plants. For me it's easier because I don't have to worry about just getting the right amount of blood to water and it's all in one jar/cup/what have you and ready to go vs. having to dilute in whatever way after the fact. My thinking is that soaking or collecting blood in water by pouring the contents of the cup in a similar jar is going to be the best bet for those with larger gardens. That way you have a collection going for distribution and don't have to fill the cup, add blood to you plants in small amounts, and do it again and again until you make it around the garden. Kind of like watering with a shot glass vs. watering with a watering can.

Really enjoying reading through this thread..

I had a conversation only recently regarding Menses and its possible magical use..

Couple of days back I was drawn to Nichlaj de Mattos Frisvold's 'Craft of the untamed' and wasn't left disappointed, on page 111 he quotes Pliny, regarding the use of Menses.

So digging deeper I searched through Pliny the Elders 'The Natural History' and found the text mentioned in Chapter XXIII Book XXVIII which I have posted in its entirety below.

CHAP. 23.—FACTS CONNECTED WITH THE MENSTRUAL DISCHARGE.

Over and above these particulars, there is no limit to the marvellous powers attributed to females. For, in the first place, hailstorms, they say, whirlwinds, and lightning1 even, will be scared away by a woman uncovering her body while her monthly courses are upon her. The same, too, with all other kinds of tempestuous weather; and out at sea, a storm may be lulled by a woman uncovering her body merely, even though not menstruating at the time. As to the menstrual discharge itself, a thing that in other respects, as2 already stated on a more appropriate occasion, is productive of the most monstrous effects, there are some ravings about it of a most dreadful and unutterable nature. Of these particulars, however, I do not feel so much shocked at mentioning the following. If the menstrual discharge coincides with an eclipse of the moon or sun, the evils resulting from it are irremediable; and no less so, when it happens while the moon is in conjunction with the sun; the congress with a woman at such a period being noxious, and attended with fatal effects to the man. At this period also, the lustre of purple is tarnished by the touch of a woman: so much more baneful is her influence at this time than at any other. At any other time, also, if a woman strips herself naked while she is menstruating, and walks round a field of wheat, the caterpillars, worms, beetles, and other vermin, will fall from off the ears of corn. Metrodorus of Scepsos tells us that this discovery was first made in Cappadocia; and that, in consequence of such multitudes of can- tharides being found to breed there, it is the practice for women to walk through the middle of the fields with their garments tucked up above the thighs.3 In other places, again, it is the usage for women to go barefoot, with the hair dishevelled and the girdle loose: due precaution must be taken, however, that this is not done at sun-rise, for if so, the crop will wither and dry up.Young vines, too, it is said, are injured irremediably by the touch of a woman in this state; and both rue and ivy, plants possessed of highly medicinal virtues, will die instantly upon being touched by her.

Much as I have already stated on the virulent effects of this discharge, I have to state, in addition, that bees, it is a well-known fact, will forsake their hives if touched by a menstruous woman; that linen boiling in the cauldron will turn black, that the edge of a razor will become blunted, and that copper vessels will contract a fetid smell and become covered with verdigrease, on coming in contact with her. A mare big with foal, if touched by a woman in this state, will be sure to miscarry; nay, even more than this, at the very sight of a woman, though seen at a distance even, should she happen to be menstruating for the first time after the loss of her virginity, or for the first time, while in a state of virginity. The bitumen4 that is found in Judæa, will yield to nothing but the menstrual discharge; its tenacity being overcome, as already stated, by the agency of a thread from a garment which has been brought in contact with this fluid. Fire itself even, an element which triumphs over every other substance, is unable to conquer this; for if reduced to ashes and then sprinkled upon garments when about to be scoured, it will change their purple tint, and tarnish the brightness of the colours. Indeed so pernicious are its properties, that women themselves, the source from which it is derived, are far from being proof against its effects; a pregnant woman, for instance, if touched with it, or indeed if she so much as steps over it, will be liable to miscarry.

Laïs and Elephant is5 have given statements quite at variance, on the subject of abortives; they mention the efficacy for that purpose of charcoal of cabbage root, myrtle root, or tamarisk root, quenched in the menstrual discharge; they say that she-asses will be barren for as many years as they have eaten barley-corns steeped in this fluid; and they have enumerated various other monstrous and irreconcileable properties, the one telling us, for instance, that fruitfulness may be ensured by the very same methods, which, according to the statement of the other, are productive of barrenness; to all which stories it is the best plan to refuse credit altogether. Bithus of Dyrrhachium informs us that a mirror,6 which has been tarnished by the gaze of a menstruous female, will recover its brightness if the same woman looks steadily upon the back of it; he states, also, that all evil influences of this nature will be entirely neutralized, if the woman carries the fish known as the sur mullet about her person.

On the other hand, again, many writers say that, baneful as it is, there are certain remedial properties in this fluid; that it is a good plan, for instance, to use it as a topical application for gout, and that women, while menstruating, can give relief by touching scrofulous sores and imposthumes of the parotid glands, inflamed tumours, erysipelas, boils, and defluxions of the eyes. According to Laïs and Salpe, the bite of a mad (log, as well as tertian or quartan fevers, may be cured by putting some menstruous blood in the wool of a black ram and enclosing it in a silver bracelet; and we learn from Diotimus of Thebes that the smallest portion will suffice of any kind of cloth that has been stained therewith, a thread even, if inserted and worn in a bracelet. The midwife Sotira informs us that the most efficient cure for tertian and quartan fevers is to rub the soles of the patient's feet therewith, the result being still more successful if the operation is performed by the woman herself, without the patient being aware of it; she says, too, that this is an excellent method for reviving persons when attacked with epilepsy.

Icetidas the physician pledges his word that quartan fever may be cured by sexual intercourse, provided the woman is just beginning to menstruate. It is universally agreed, too, that when a person has been bitten by a dog and manifests a dread of water and of all kinds of drink, it will be quite sufficient to put under his clip a strip of cloth that has been dipped in this fluid; the result being that the hydrophobia will immediately disappear. This arises, no doubt, from that powerful sympathy which has been so much spoken of by the Greeks, and the existence of which is proved by the fact,7 already mentioned, that dogs become mad upon tasting this fluid. It is a well- known fact, too, that the menstruous discharge, reduced to ashes, and applied with furnace soot and wax, is a cure for ulcers upon all kinds of beasts of burden; and that stains made upon a garment with it can only be removed by the agency of the urine of the same female. Equally certain it is, too, that this fluid, reduced to ashes and mixed with oil of roses, is very useful, applied to the forehead, for allaying head-ache, in women more particularly; as also that the nature of the discharge is most virulent in females whose virginity has been destroyed solely by the lapse of time.

Another thing universally acknowledged and one which I am ready to believe with the greatest pleasure, is the fact, that if the door-posts are only touched with the menstruous fluid all spells of the magicians will be neutralized—a set of men the most lying in existence, as any one may ascertain. I will give an example of one of the most reasonable of their prescriptions—Take the parings of the toe-nails and finger-nails of a sick person, and mix them up with wax, the party saying that he is seeking a remedy for a tertian, quartan, or quotidian fever, as the case may be; then stick this wax, before sunrise, upon the door of another person—such is the prescription they give for these diseases! What deceitful persons they must be if there is no truth in it! And how highly criminal, if they really do thus transfer diseases from one person to another! Some of them, again, whose practices are of a less guilty nature, recommend that the parings of all the finger-nails should be thrown at the entrance of ant-holes, the first ant to be taken which attempts to draw one into the hole; this, they say, must be attached to the neck of the patient, and he will experience a speedy cure.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

For ages I have been freezing my tampons (sorry guys) to save the menstral blood for the day when I no longer have any.

This is literally as far as I've gotten in this 3 page thread and I had to stop reading to say, what an excellent idea. Its easy to forget that we won't be making this stuff for ever. And I'm sure it comes in handy for those impromptu workings between cycles.

What I've done now (needed more room in the freezer, lol) is make a menstral blood cord. It's a braided and knotted pure cotton cord, dyed in menstral blood. I also hve a lot of cotton and wool string dyed also. Once dry it can be put away and stores nicely and without needing a freezer and doesn't take up much room. Granted it isn't the same as fresh, but one day it will be all I have, lol!

M

What I've done now (needed more room in the freezer, lol) is make a menstral blood cord. It's a braided and knotted pure cotton cord, dyed in menstral blood. I also hve a lot of cotton and wool string dyed also. Once dry it can be put away and stores nicely and without needing a freezer and doesn't take up much room. Granted it isn't the same as fresh, but one day it will be all I have, lol!

M

With that cord once you stop bleeding couldnt you moisten it again and wring out some watery blood? I know it won't be the same as fresh blood, but it would atleast be the same consistency at that point.

I love creative spelling when it changes the meaning. Watch out, Michele....you may end up with a room full of magically invoked sailors (seamen).

LMFAO! I almost choked on my ham sandwich!

• 2 weeks later...