Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dream Walker

Riddles

As per request, a riddle thread.

I posted some riddles in the shoutbox last night and they were solved quit quickly sooo...

Feast your minds eye on: L'indovinello più difficile del mondo (Lol!)

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are 'da' and 'ja', in some order. You do not know which word means which.

Further points of clarification:

• It could be that some god gets asked more than one question (and hence that some god is not asked any question at all).
  • What the second question is, and to which god it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
  • Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.
  • Random will answer 'da' or 'ja' when asked any yes-no question.

Try not to lose your minds and enjoy!

I posted some riddles in the shoutbox last night and they were solved quit quickly sooo...

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are 'da' and 'ja', in some order. You do not know which word means which.

• It could be that some god gets asked more than one question (and hence that some god is not asked any question at all).
  • What the second question is, and to which god it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
  • Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.

I likey! I have a rough theory on this one, will go try to see if it works!!

It is incredibly difficult and there are a few different questions that will work. If no one gets it in a week or something I'll post the answer.

Being overly literal here, lol, are we supposed to determine which of a, b, and c is True, False and Random, or which of a, b, and c, is Thor, Woden, and Krishna?

M

Ask the following question twice to two different gods:

"Is it the case that exactly two or none of the following four conditions obtain:

- Random answers this question;

- True answers this question ‘ja’;

- The answer to this question is false;

- Da means yes?"

Random answers ‘da’; False answers ‘ja’; True cannot answer.

Ask the following question twice to two different gods:

"Is it the case that exactly two or none of the following four conditions obtain:

- Random answers this question;

- True answers this question ‘ja’;

- The answer to this question is false;

- Da means yes?"

While it appears you are correct and you logic is sound (I have never seen a solution where True is isolated by not being able to answer), you are only halfway finished... Who is A, who is B, and who is C? Mwhahahahaha....ani_witch_Moon.gif

I thought my solution does reveal A, B and C see above. Am I wrong, or should I have made the link implicit?

Of course I assumed that when starting to question the Gods we knew who was A,B and C in front of us.

While it appears you are correct and you logic is sound (I have never seen a solution where True is isolated by not being able to answer), you are only halfway finished... Who is A, who is B, and who is C? Mwhahahahaha....ani_witch_Moon.gif

I thought my solution does reveal A, B and C see above. Am I wrong, or should I have made the link implicit?

Of course I assumed that when starting to question the Gods we knew who was A,B and C in front of us.

:popcorn: :goodluck: My wager is on YOU, Tana !

Regards,

Gypsy

Guest Magdalena

Is the flip of a coin not a random answer? They way the coin falls determines the answer,. Random would be what randomly pops into Randoms head.

I believe the solution to the riddle would be the method one uses to find the answer as you cannot know who A,B and C are without asking a question and receiving an answer.

Maybe I will have a go at figuring out a method to use later. Lol.

Anita.

A, B, and C are in no particular order and we don't know who is who. The true test of the riddle is to determine who is who. You need to add at least one qualifier to you line of questioning that will link the answers to the correct letter. Your close!

Is the flip of a coin not a random answer? They way the coin falls determines the answer,. Random would be what randomly pops into Randoms head.

I believe the solution to the riddle would be the method one uses to find the answer as you cannot know who A,B and C are without asking a question and receiving an answer.

Maybe I will have a go at figuring out a method to use later. Lol.

Anita.

While Random's name is somewhat misleading, you must consider that the coin flip dictates whether he will lie or tell the truth. Therefore if the coin flip favors truth he will truthfully answer your question. If the coin flip favors lies he will lie. So his answer is not completely random insofar that you may be able to determine his state of mind in your question (Mega hint!).

Guest Magdalena

While Random's name is somewhat misleading, you must consider that the coin flip dictates whether he will lie or tell the truth. Therefore if the coin flip favors truth he will truthfully answer your question. If the coin flip favors lies he will lie. So his answer is not completely random insofar that you may be able to determine his state of mind in your question (Mega hint!).

So if one asks a basic simple "Yes or No" (ja or da) question. Then Random would be more than likely to answer truthfully, so would `Truth` but `False` would not. that would let you know which is yes and no for ja and da and it would also let you know who `False` is.

If you then ask a difficult question, then Random would more than likely lie, then one would know which is `Truth` and which is `Random`

I've not long read your reply DW so that is the best I can come up with for now lol.

Anita.

Guest Magdalena

I just noticed you can only direct your question to one God. Oh well, I shall try again. Lol.

Guest Magdalena

One could ask the same simple basic "Yes or No" (ja or da) question to two of the Gods (Making that two questions used). One that Random would be more than likely to answer truthfully, if the two answer the same, then they would be Random and Truth, then you could carry on as I said in my above post.

If they give two different answers, then you have either Truth and False or Random and False, so the God left would be Truth or Random. And then my brain melted lol. I will try again tomorrow maybe.

Anita.

mmmmmm pondering at the moment. I was hoping to keep the solution to 2 questions, but will have to go to 3 I think. The thing is with the approach I took I think I need another two questions, unless I start over completely from scratch.

As Magdalena has pointed out you may only ask one god. I hate to be the bearer of bad news Tana but you may have to start over if your basing on your previous two god attempt. Sorry for the false hope somehow I missed that. The guy who wrote this must be frustrating to debate against haha.

I tried to apply maths to this, but just got myself in a twist!

I was working on the ask two questions to one and one to the other method - will need to try harder!

I suppose it all depends whether believe those gods really exist though...! :lol:

Maybe the question should be ' three drunks in a bar' ....

Guest Magdalena

I've been out and about most of the day, but still been pondering over this.

Can one say " I put this question to the God that speaks the truth. Does ja mean yes?" or does it not work like that? Just wondering lol.

Anita.

LOL I'm willing to bet once you all see the solution you'll have to reread it at least twice to satisfy yourself that it really is the solution. .. and I'd also hate to debate against the guy who dreamt it up!

LOL I'm willing to bet once you all see the solution you'll have to reread it at least twice to satisfy yourself that it really is the solution. .. and I'd also hate to debate against the guy who dreamt it up!

The solution is almost hard to say out loud hahaparty0009.gif

I've been out and about most of the day, but still been pondering over this.

Can one say " I put this question to the God that speaks the truth. Does ja mean yes?" or does it not work like that? Just wondering lol.

Anita.

Getting close! Your on the right track, you just need to add two qualifiers to determine who is which letter and who is random as random might be in true mode.

Since I know the solution to this from another source I am going to leave it to Dream Walker to reveal it when he feels the time is right. It was funny when you all thought I was a genius though!! I would have come clean!

Since I know the solution to this from another source I am going to leave it to Dream Walker to reveal it when he feels the time is right. It was funny when you all thought I was a genius though!! I would have come clean!

LOL ! You clever Witch ! I'm not a riddle person, they tend to go over my head like a Boeing 747, but in all honesty, this was fun to watch and unfold, and my wager on You, due to your fast responses in the Shoutbox, had me giggling with the banter back and forth between you and Dream Walker. I too, can't wait for the solving of this riddle.

Regards,

Gypsy

LOL ! You clever Witch ! I'm not a riddle person, they tend to go over my head like a Boeing 747, but in all honesty, this was fun to watch and unfold, and my wager on You, due to your fast responses in the Shoutbox, had me giggling with the banter back and forth between you and Dream Walker. I too, can't wait for the solving of this riddle.

Regards,

Gypsy

Ha ha Gypsy! I do love riddles but have to admit the one in this thread is quite hard! I got the answer using google, which is why I laughed when super sleuth Dream Walker cottoned on to me! I'm sorry you lost your wager but you are right, it was a giggle!