Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Whenever I need something to read, I visit this topic & page through for ideas. Lots of great books listed here!

I have been reading the Firethorn series by Sarah Micklem again. I am on the second book (Wildfire), which is when it really grows into an epic tale.

Whenever I need something to read, I visit this topic & page through for ideas. Lots of great books listed here!

I have been reading the Firethorn series by Sarah Micklem again. I am on the second book (Wildfire), which is when it really grows into an epic tale.

I remember reading Firethorn in high school and thinking very poorly of it in general, but maybe I was just a touch too young to appreciate it.

I can understand that.  She does live in quite a sexist world, unfortunately, which made it hard for me to read at first. However, I got around that & read it as the world she was in. It changes tone from the first book (a smaller-scale feudal pagan Rome, seen from the eyes of a "drudge".) to a mind-bending adventurous epic journey across the sea in the second book (honestly the better of the two, but it's imperative to read the first to grasp the characters, her canny abilities & the world).

In addition, in most of Wildfire (book 2), Firethorn's speech is messed up (I don't want to spoil how that happens!). It is written with such wit.. the words she uses instead of others - are very telling at times. 

They are such different books.

I e-mailed the author a year ago asking her about a third book. She hadn't even begun it. So I am often reading Wildfire.

I remember reading Firethorn in high school and thinking very poorly of it in general, but maybe I was just a touch too young to appreciate it.

Edited by moonthorn

Greetings All,

I have just finished the Veritable Key of Solomon by Stephen Skinner and David Rankine which was absolutely a winner. Obviously you will need a love for Grimoires and at least a passing practical experience of the Solomonic Cycle to properly appreciate just how awesome it is or you will just have to take my word on it.

Also I have just finished the earlier (I seem to remember) Goetia of Doctor Rudd which is .. good but I think slightly showing the outsider looking in syndrome and a tad confused .. though again having said that suspect it is me who was just well spoiled after reading the first one!

Scott

I just finished The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic by Catherine Yronwode. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in candle magic.

The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird. 1973 paperback.

Captivating so far :)

Regards,

Gypsy

I am reading one of my diaries at the moment. It is from when I was 12. Well I am trying to. Very tiny writing all crammed into tiny pages. I am also feeling like a sex and drug crazed starlet of the 1960's, so I am re-reading Once Is Not Enough by Jacqueline Susann. One of my all time favorite books by an all time favorite author. 

Just finished Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon last week. If you can stomach the abuse he goes through its a great story and the other half of the story of her book Acheron.

Just finished Practical Sigil Magic by Frater U.D ..... I have been interested in Sigil Magic for awhile now and was told by friends this was the book to get. It is a very well-written book and gives the reader a solid base to begin working with sigil magic.

Scored Grieve's Modern Herbals for $5 at the used bookstore. Reading Medicinal Herbs by Rosemary Gladstar. It's a great book, wonderful layout, but definitely for beginners. In other words, I'm glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying it!

I recently acquired all five books in the Hyatt hoodoo series, in pdf.  Some of the info is inaccurate, but gods, what a read!

Bump

also, I'm currently reading the Code of Hammurabi, interesting that I never have before given my fascination with Mesopotamia

Claude Lecouteux - " Phantom Armies of the Night: The Wild Hunt and Ghostly Processions of the Undead",  the book currently accompanying me, it's in my backpack everywhere I go.

Edited by Horne

Just finished Traditional witchcraft: a Cornish book of ways and the Black Toad by Gemma Gary. Pretty interesting stuff.  Also I finally got started on A game of thrones and am halfway through on that

I am reading Hedge Rider author Eric the Vries. (About hedge-craft)

Also i have one of Robin Artisson that is pretty interesting i think . The witching Way of the Hollow Hill - i haven't really read it, only a bit leafed through.

Guest monsnoleedra

Just received in the mail today and starting to read.

Ritual Texts for the Afterlife : Orpheus and the Bacchic Gold Tablets by Fritz Graf and Sarah Iles Johnston (2013, Paperback, Revised)  Sarah Iles JohnstonFritz Graf | ISBN-10: 0415508037 | ISBN-13: 9780415508032

Just for fun, and because I love the authors Joan Hobub and Suzanne Williams, I'm reading Goddess Girls series. I'm on Athena the Proud. The Goddess Girl's series is for young adults, I think, about a school called MOA that trains gods and heroes. I like the series because it's a great way to spend my free time and just relax. On a more serious side I've just started reading 'The Superstitions of Witchcraft by Howard Williams' and 'Traditional Witchcraft for Urban Living by Melusine Draco.' The one thing that I like about the Howard Williams book is that he gives a summary of each chapter so that you know what it's going to cover.

Traditional Witchcraft for Urban Living admits that we all don't live in some cottage but are, sometimes by no choice of our own, force to live in the big city. That man lives in England so he uses English terms, but that's what I really like about this book. I'm going to give a full summary of it, but I would love to hear if others have read this book.

Reading Liber Null & Psychonaut. Interesting stuff!

=========================================

I may start sifting through this one again, it's been "jumping out" at me the last few times I went over to the bookshelf.  If you find Liber Null & Psychonaut to be informative to you, one I've recently bought and partially read that I like even better is "Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism" by Jan Fries.  I came across his name on this site and decided to order a few books and that was the one that I started with...it seems more directly related to traditional witchcraft and shamanism than anything the Chaos Magicians can come up with.

Edited by Capsicum

I'm currently re-reading "Wild Geraas" by Arnold-Jan Scheer, a book about the ancient roots of Saint Nicholas and Santa Claus. The author has been planning an English translation and a documentary as well but he's still working on it. There's a trailer though: 

http://santaunmasked.com/trailer.php

I ordered and just started reading "The Terror That Comes In The Night, an experience - centred study of supernatural assault traditions" by David J. Hufford. I was interested in reading this book since I read about it on here in the thread

Signs Of Old Hag Attacks During The Night in myths and legends

Thanks to AnjelWolf for the information. So far it is very interesting.

Reading and studying through The Dragon Book of Essex, Azoetia, (Chumbley) and The Book of Night (Y.T Scott)...along with a Genetics texbook and Technical Writing textbook & accompanying classes...Genetics is fascinating, technical writing is boring, and I am thanking whatever God and/or Goddess is out there for the free quiet time I can find to just read some good witchcraft books. It keeps me sane, I think...lol

Rereading Enchantment (Peter Paddon). Fiction - Wise Woman by Phillipa Gregory. Considering buying the latest Robin Artisson book.

Sign in to follow this