Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

I'm reading two books at the moment: Lux Haeresis by Daniel Schulke and Shadows of The Dark by John Zaffis and Brian McIntyre-not exactly light, bed-time reading material. However, from the standpoint I highly recommend the first book as it contains much Luciferian lore and praxis concerning development of the second sight. The second book is about the real-life accounts of John Zaffis, founder of The Paranormal Research Society of New England and a noted Demonologist.

This quickly became my favorite Schulke book, of course it is on a different level of working than Ars or the VU, so I can love them all equally and with due course - however LH certainly is a book which I call a "catalyst" to the modality of the Witch. I'm on my six read through and I still comprehend aspects/workings/etc. differently and/or more thoroughly then before.

It definitely contrasts the Ars Philtron and VU, however it certainly is a "catalyst" in its own right. Like his other two books, Lux Haeresis is unique and imparts its own knowledge. You get the feeling when you look at some of the illustrations that they're pulsating and alive.

Ars Philtron just arrived yesterday, started into it last night. Already has me (happily) caught within its spell, to the point that I dreamt about making Philtres throughout the night...

Damn - I'm still waiting for my Lux H.. I just sent them an email last night to check on delivery status. RF - I loved Roebuck in the Thicket! Excellent book I have and will referred to often!

M

Damn - I'm still waiting for my Lux H.. I just sent them an email last night to check on delivery status. RF - I loved Roebuck in the Thicket! Excellent book I have and will referred to often!

M

I have been in contact with Fields bookstore about Lux H. and they have a few copies in stock for $125. I am wondering if you would say it is worth the price. I had gotten the mail order pamphlet about it last November to preorder the book, and remember it being about the witches eye or evil eye. However, I got the sense that it went a lot deeper than just a historical account of different cultures use of it. Unfortuantely, I was in the process of buying and moving house so I wasn't sure where I would be at the time the book shipped so I did not order it. but would you say $125 is a good price for it. I know most Xoanon books once out of print spike up close to $1,000.

"Three Books of Occult Philosophy" by Agrippa.

I know I can do it! If I could read the entire "Divine Comedy" this should be kids stuff right? ha

Treading the mill - Nigel G. Pearson... impressed so far :)

Just finished his "Walking the Tides ..." but wasn't so impressed, even though I liked "Treading the Mill".

Just finished his "Walking the Tides ..." but wasn't so impressed, even though I liked "Treadingn the Mill".

do you mind giving more detail on why you weren't impressed? I go back and dip into 'Treading the Mill' alot, and have been considering getting 'walking the tides' (well once I have more money!).

you can PM me if you want, if you dont want get done for slating the author! lol!

or just a few pointers why would be good - ta! :chakrahearts:

"Three Books of Occult Philosophy" by Agrippa.

I know I can do it! If I could read the entire "Divine Comedy" this should be kids stuff right? ha

LOVE Agrippa!! He's so comprehensive. I've just bought Alan Richardson's The Magician's Tables - nice hardback, I thought...good one for the reference shelf but flicking through it there's some interesting stuff I'd never seen before rune ritual poses and whatnot. I think I'll be looking at it more than I thought even if it is just another book of lists :)

Great Feuds in History, by Colin Evans.

Edit: I'm disappointed in this book, its full of details that anyone who's researched the feud's mentioned will already know. Not a bad read, but not for someone who's already read a lot about the people mentioned.

do you mind giving more detail on why you weren't impressed? I go back and dip into 'Treading the Mill' alot, and have been considering getting 'walking the tides' (well once I have more money!).

you can PM me if you want, if you dont want get done for slating the author! lol!

or just a few pointers why would be good - ta! :chakrahearts:

thanks for the PM x

Fiction

The Child Thief by Brom

A much darker version of the story of Peter Pan. Awesome read so far! Check it out!

Study

Treading the Mill: Practical Craft Working in Modern Traditional Witchcraft by Nigel G. Pearson

Trance-Portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World by Diana L. Paxson

stirring.gif

Into the Devil's Den by Dave Hall, Tym Burkey, and Katherine Ramsland.

Guest Elfyd

Great Feuds in History, by Colin Evans.

Edit: I'm disappointed in this book, its full of details that anyone who's researched the feud's mentioned will already know. Not a bad read, but not for someone who's already read a lot about the people mentioned.

Thank you for your views on this book, it was one of the many history-related books I was interested in...

As a lover of history, have your delved through the pages of Simon Winchester or Bill Bryson's works? I recommend almost ANYTHING by those authors to anyone.

FFFF

Elf

Thank you for your views on this book, it was one of the many history-related books I was interested in...

As a lover of history, have your delved through the pages of Simon Winchester or Bill Bryson's works? I recommend almost ANYTHING by those authors to anyone.

FFFF

Elf

The name sound familiar but I don't believe I have... Will definitely put them on my list though, thanks!

Guest Elfyd

The name sound familiar but I don't believe I have... Will definitely put them on my list though, thanks!

Aloe-

Both authors are long-time guests on NPR, both are polymaths, both are heavy into research and tying personal human relationships to the topics.

Top of my list of must reads are:

Winchester, The Madman and the Mathematician (story of the origins of the OED) & The Man Who Loved China (one of my favourite books EVER) Bryson, Letters from a Small Island (an American living in England's perspective of the UK as he sets out on a one-man walk all over the UK) & A short History of Everything ( an engaging look at, well, everything)

Hope this helps

FFFF

Elf

I'm attempting to read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychic Awareness (or is it Psychic Ability, yes as you can tell, I'm very involved), it's getting there slowly.....

Guest Elfyd

"An ABC of Witchcraft" by Doreen Valiente.

Let's see how many hits that gets.

FFFF

Elf

Guest Magdalena

Dan Burstein `Secrets Of The Code`

I just finished Paul Hudson's Mastering Witchcraft - which I didn't really love.

Right now I'm flipping back and forth between The Mythology of Ancient Britain and Ireland (Charles Squire) and Herbal Magick; A Witch's Guide to Herbal Enchantments, Folklore and Divination (Gerina Dunwich).

Sign in to follow this