Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyx

Where does everyone buy their herbs

Just wondering as to where you buy your herbs??

Online, local shops lol etc...

Guest Magdalena

I take a visit to Glastonbury to buy mine, also Crystals and incense. I love Avalon.

I get mine from all over the place, If I can grow them, I will or collect them growing wil where possible too. I have bought some online, which seem to be reasonable quality.

Guest Grimr

I bu alot of Seeds from Alchemy Works (featured in the web links section) and have found them to be brilliant. In addition I have bought herbs as well from Otherworld Apothecary (also featured in the web links section) and really love their stuff - their Traditional Witches and harvest their herbs according to folklore, customs, and traditionalism.

I grow and wildcraft some of my own herbs. When I buy, there is a little shop in town that has herbs and oils for making one's own magical brews. When I need to order from online, I use Mountain Rose Herbs. Lucky Mojo also has a great selection.

Guest twistedbee

I grow as many as I can and tend to investigate one herb every year, growing it to see what it looks like so I can recognise it easier, reading up on what it can do and how to use it, doing it that way I am learning and tend not to forget the information.

If I need seeds I use Nicky's nursery, they have just about anything you could ever want and the Latin name is on the packet to be sure its the right one.

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/

If I am buying any ready dried and ready to use I buy them from a reputable company such as Baldwins, there are lots of people selling herbs but when Im using them for medicines then I would rather pay a little more and know I have a good grade of herb.

Baldwins is at http://www.baldwins.co.uk/

I once bought seeds for a wild flower and herb garden I was making: hemlock, nightshade, monkshood and opium poppy, and I gave my order over the phone, the woman at the other end of the phone asked me if I was trying to make my husband dissapear. :laugh1:

I try to grow them, collect them from the new forest, collect them from friends and when i'm really stuck I go to Starchild in Glastonbury. This is useually the last resort stop for me as i try to use herbs from my area before i use any foriegn stuff. Mind you, any excuse to check out the Starchild door is always worthwhile.

Although I do buy my herbs from shops more frequently, I'm going to start wildcrafting more as soon as spring hits. I have a great graveyard site as well as gardens so I can talk to the spirit of the herb/plant and take it. I usually sing to my herbs as it calls the spirits back into the plant (if I buy them). I sing and talk to the plant while wildcrafting. I tell it my intent and what I will use them for.

I grow as much as I can myself, forage for those that I can positively identify, buy from independant plant sellers and have bought some seeds from ebay to grow on myself. If I cant grow it myself then I buy from the local shop that has a fairly decent range although its not a very large range. I do know that friends have bought from starchild and have given positive feedback but I havnt purchased anything from them myself.

I wish I could grow things myself, but alas, I live in an apartment. The fiance and I have talked about buying a house and I've mentioned how I want a green house, which he thinks is a great idea with our fondness for fresh herbs when we cook and my other activities. I buy most of what I get from the pumpkin and the cauldron. they happen to carry just about everything, and if you're looking for something, they will find it and for a decent price.

I grow what I can myself... even when I was living in a little apartment I had great luck with a little window garden. What I don't grow, I try to buy locally because my little town is really suffering.

Guest MissTree

There's a very nice shop in Minneapolis, MN called Magus Books that has a huge herb selection (excellent quality) and great prices. The shop's owner, Roger, is a kind and charming gentleman. It's a real treat to visit the shop when he's there.

Online shops, I've ordered from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their service and products are also excellent. :-).