Sign in to follow this  
sue_ann

Witchy Fiction

The fiction books written by Silver Ravenwolf (yes I know she's a Wiccan PowerPuff Girl) are quite good. Well I enjoyed them and to be honest the characters are not wiccany and fluffy (well not much). She's wrote three books and their in a sequel which is good and it's the genre of the book is like "Witchy Crime". Some good twists and a nice overall storyline.

Just wondered if anyone has read The Lost Book Of Salem by Katherine Howe I am about half way through and just loving it can't put it down. It skips between 1692 Witch Trails and 1990's with a young girl searching for a missing book of 'physick' I'll do a review when I have finished it which will be pretty soon, off to the patio to read some more as we in the UK are enjoying a super hot heatwave and there is nothing like a good book outside on a warm evening surrounded by bird song.

I havent heard of this one. Sounds interesting.

Anything by Cate Tiernan. I absolutely love the Sweep series and the Balefire quartet.

Also, the Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

I really enjoyed 'Witch Child' by Celia Rees. It's actually meant to be Junior Fiction (!) but it's gripping and I found it hard to put down. Set in the 1600s, the story goes like this:

"Mary's grandmother is executed for witchcraft, and Mary is forced to leave her home to avoid the same fate. At first she flees to the English countryside, but when the atmosphere of superstition and suspicion becomes all consuming she leaves on a boat for America in the hope that she can start over and forget her past. But during the journey, she realises that the past is not so easy to escape." (Amazon review)

The sequal is called 'Sorceress', also a great read. I had a mate visiting a while back and both of us are avid Clive Barker fans. He saw these books on my shelf - I was totally expecting him to pay out on me but he said he'd read them too and loved them!

Can't forget The Dresden Files! Crazy ass wizard. lol

I love the Dresden Files! I've read all of them and am waiting eagerly for the new one! April of every year.

I love the Dresden Files! I've read all of them and am waiting eagerly for the new one! April of every year.

I'm a huge fan of the Dresden Files. Definitely my favorite Urban Fantasy series...I've read them all and am currently reading the graphic novel version of Storm Front.

Fantatic thread!!! I'm not into the vampirey thing at all, but finding "witchy" fiction without it, or werewolves etc is pretty hard. I knew about Celia Rees...she, and Cate Tiernan are on my "To Read" list.

LOVED the Lost Book of Salem!!! I'd really recommend that one - bit witchy, bit booky, bit romantic...what's not to like? :) (Bit girly too though) Here's one for the boys - Jake Arnott's The Devil's Paintbrush. Arnott wrote "He Kills Coppers"...it was made into a TV thing a while back. Aleister Crowley's a character in this book, and there's a really good bit about the use of tailsmans in it. Adult read, mind.

Other novels I've found and enjoyed:

The Witches Trinity by Erika Mailman

The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow

Book of Shadows by Paula Brackston

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (WAY different from the film)

The Owl Service by Alan Garner (juvenile read, and an oldie from my childhood by re-read it recently and it's still magical)

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (read this as a teenager, it's one of a trilogy about Arthur, Merlin and Morgana, not sure if it's still in print)

Once I'm finished The Sorceror's Tale by Alec Ryrie (non-fictional tale of a lesser known magician along the lines of Dee and Agrippa), I'm going to read The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland.

Guest Oakbuchanan

The Crystal cave is a great book, read that when I was in my teens too...You can still get a copy easily on amazon...In fact I might pick up a copy just to see if was a good as I remember...

Guest Oakbuchanan

Incidently, has anyone read 'The Resurrection Murders' By Donald Michael kraig, The guy who wrote 'Modern magick' ? Sounds like it could be an alright read..

I'm a voracious reader and love this post! I recently stumbled upon Paula Brackston's book, "The Witch's Daughter". It's a bit on the Wiccan side, but the nature appreciation and the character's reliance on herbs, as well as the story itself, makes up for it! I'm only 3/4 of the way through, so I can't vouch for the ending! But it is well written and very engaging.

The books that I like with a witchy flair are:

Madelyn Alt's Bewitching mysteries- has a wiccan slant and are cozy mysteries.

Juliet Blackwell's Witchcraft mysteries

Shirley Damsgaard's Ophelia & Abby mysteries

Alys Clare's Aelf Fen mysteries. They are set in East Anglia in the 11th century. Herbalism, mystery and magic, lots of old ways vs new ways. A bit Wiccan-y in some bits, but still very enjoyable.

Edited by Kupala

I don't often read actual "witchy" fiction because it is too off for me, but I do enjoy fantasy fiction (not sci-fi, space fiction) and I have been reading the Muirwood fantasy trilogy and totally enjoying it. In reading some of the author's notes, the quotes he uses have been taken from actual occult-type tomes and I've found it very good reading and at some points rather apropos certain parts of the path.

M

I read Kelley Armstrong, though she's just finished her Women of the Otherworld series (13 books in total). It is all set in one world with different protagonists each book, mainly werewolves and witches. I really enjoy her writing style :smile: (She also wrote a couple of trillogy younge adult series set in the same world but with younger protagonists.)

Also, the Sabina Kane series by Jaye Wells is very good. It's about vampires at first glance, but witches/mages play a strong role and are major characters throughout the 5 book series. I enjoyed it and will definitely be reading any other series that she writes.

I very much enjoyed the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice, though it's been a long time since I read those. Maybe time for a re-read!

I read a lot of Urban Fantasy, and most of those have witches in there in some form or another. But I can't think of any off the top of my head (other than those just mentioned) that have witches as protagonists or as other main characters. The genre seems saturated with vampires and werewolves though! Not that that's a bad thing, when done right :smile:

Edited by Aurelia

The first of the "immortal witches" books got me hooked, at least before the narrative traveled to modern times.

The protagonist had to handle all the tense atmosphere of murder and suspicion of the inquisition times, all the running away, and even so, had time to slowly develop a romance... and with the priest no less!

I've been avoiding the other three books...by the synopsis i can tell that they have nothing of historical about them, wich means loss of suspense and the atmosphere of suspicion i loved so much in the first one. But i always wonder if it is not a mistake to avoid them.

Confession time, I love a good book heck I even read mildly good books lol I draw the line at badly written trash although I struggled through 50 shades of gray because people kept raving about them plus they where given to me so I sort of had to.

Books I love, anything Anne Rice infact I'm searching for Lestat first edition it is the last one I need to have the first three in first edition.

Sherrilyn Kenyon- anything by her and even her stuff with a co author is a fun if not whitchy more paranormal read. FYI she has a set of SIFY that are good too, all her stuff is romantic though.

Yasmine Galenorn-also a series witchling is the first changeling the second and there are several more. These are pretty short and great bath time reading.

Nora Roberts does pretty decent witchy type books

Kim Harrison, I love every book I have read of hers

Nancy holder, not bad but not great

I like the discovery of witches but I'm not exactly in love with it.

The sweep series was ok.

I am not into JA banks, I just can't get into them

My favorite all time authors, Anne Rice, Lincolin child and Douglas Preston Pendergast series FBI horror type books, J,D Robb ( Nora Roberts ) in death books they are futuristic police type books and I just love them like crazy.

Confession time, I love a good book heck I even read mildly good books lol I draw the line at badly written trash although I struggled through 50 shades of gray because people kept raving about them plus they where given to me so I sort of had to.

Books I love, anything Anne Rice infact I'm searching for Lestat first edition it is the last one I need to have the first three in first edition.

Sherrilyn Kenyon- anything by her and even her stuff with a co author is a fun if not whitchy more paranormal read. FYI she has a set of SIFY that are good too, all her stuff is romantic though.

Yasmine Galenorn-also a series witchling is the first changeling the second and there are several more. These are pretty short and great bath time reading.

Nora Roberts does pretty decent witchy type books

Kim Harrison, I love every book I have read of hers

Nancy holder, not bad but not great

I like the discovery of witches but I'm not exactly in love with it.

The sweep series was ok.

I am not into JA banks, I just can't get into them

My favorite all time authors, Anne Rice, Lincolin child and Douglas Preston Pendergast series FBI horror type books, J,D Robb ( Nora Roberts ) in death books they are futuristic police type books and I just love them like crazy.

Ann Rice and Sherrilyn Kenyon here too. :smile: (Styxx comes out September 3!)

At the moment I am making my way through the "House of Night" series because it was given to me and has been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple years. The series is about teenage vamps that are kind of witches too. I had started them once before, read two lines and put it back on the shelf, so its slow going. The premise is interesting but its a really juvenille series that seems to me to be ripping off the Harry Potter books and twisting it using a female vamp lead with wiccan flavoring and soft core teenage love scenes and bickering throughout. The circle casting rituals are really cheesily wiccan and it takes up about a third of each book because they do it about three or four times a book. Ughh. The dialog between the characters is really irritating, as is the mixing of legends from the Cherokee and Greek cultures and the constant "ho" status of the main character. Seriously, the love triangle turn square turn pentacle gets really tiresome. As the series progresses the themes get darker as good guys turn evil. So the writing isn't great but the plot is ok and that with the darkening of the story is the only reason that I am still reading them. Three stars just for an interesting storyline, the rest is garbage.

Edited by Whiterose

YeGods if I was to go through all my Witchy Fiction - I have a lot.

Maggie Shayne - do like her Immortal Witch series

Linda Winstead Jones - Fyne Sisters/Children of the Sun

Jennifer Lyon - Wing Slayer Hunter (witch/hunter stories)

Anya Bast - Elemental Witches

Nora Roberts - Three Sisters Island/Key Trilogies

Cheyenne McCray - Magic series

Christine Feehan - Drake Sisters

Kelly Armstrong - Otherworld series

Anne Bishop - Black Jewels series/Tir Alainn trilogy

+ some individual novels.

I have a lot of books.

I tend not to read witchy fiction if I'm honest (not because I'm too high brow for it but because I've usually got my nose in a book with a helpless historical heroine being ravished by some medieval bastard) but the one occult fiction author I have always enjoyed is Dennis Wheatley. "The Satanist" in particular was an excellent read, as was "The Devil rides out." You could probably still pick them up in second hand bookshops, but sadly I believe they are mainly out of print now.

Witch light (previously published as Corrag) by Susan Fletcher is set at the time of the Glencoe massacre and is worth a read. Sweet, beautiful, hauntingly sad and sensitively written. It's a Sunday afternoon curled up in an armchair with a cup of tea and box of tissues read. Some people might find the odd paganiness here and there, but it isn't too often or off-putting.

Elly Griffiths' mystery series has a neo-Druid supporting character. The main character is an archaeologist who helps the police. Anyway, not straight out "witchy" but still quite good (I love mysteries).

Just read Wise Woman by Phillipa Gregory. Pretty good, although some parts are obviously dramatized (wax poppets walking by themselves, anyone? lol). Worth a read!

Edited by westofthemoon

Anne Rice's "Lives of the Mayfair Witches" series is reeally good. I loved the first two, I havent read the third but I need to read the first two again before I do anyway. I wasnt as big a fan of her other books though, never got into the vampire chronicles.

Another I liked is We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Its dark and strange and the main character does a bit of magic and has a facination with poisons. Its not a witchy book really, but there is a flavor. I want to read this one again too. My copy is held together with tape because it is so well loved.

Wise Woman sounds interesting! I have a looooong reading list. Im glad for the time off coming up, im tired of text books and essays :bored:

Deborah Blake (of Llewellyn fame but I don't hold it against her) has two fiction books out: Wickedly Dangerous and Wickedly Wonderful. Both protagonists are Baba Yagas. They're romance so not for everyone but fun, nonetheless.

Firethorn (& its sequel, Wildfire), by Sarah Micklem, both blew the lid off any witchy fiction I'd read before. Truly wonderful. I cannot recommend enough. I may have been born to tell you to read this series, actually.

Sign in to follow this