How many share same beliefs with SO?

Leesa

IMO:lol!

I think it all does depend on the level of the other persons devotion to their religion (any religion or strong personal beliefs)

Religious texts are so full of 'clauses' which would make most people 'incompatible' that it would be easy to pluck these out as reasons not to get together with someone of a different religion or belief.

But if that person is flexible and open-minded it may be okay, but if they keep slapping you on the knuckles with daily quotes and trying to convert you, then run - fast!

Also, I think people need to look to themselves: can I be open-minded and flexible in my beliefs? If not, then maybe that person should be running from me! works both ways. :chakrahearts:

However, what about in the parts of the world where witchcraft grew up in and around christian societies? And what about in the olden times where people would come home from church and whip up a protection spell or pull out a scrying mirror? What are your thoughts there?

My first thoughts are . . . casting a protection spell or using a scrying mirror does not make one a Witch. At least not anymore than standing in a garage makes me a car. Under some definitions, prayers are a form of spell, depending on whether or not someone is a "religious" Witch or not. I'm not.

And, to be a complete devil's advocate (aka pain in the ass shit disturber extraordinaire): Why can't a witch believe what the bible says AND be witch? There are people that believe that jesus was a witch... etc./color]

I fully respect every individual's right to believe as he/she pleases (hence the caveat at the beginning of my earlier response); however, I'm pretty hardcore, when it comes to christian Witches. I accept that there is a transition period as one is leaving the christian faith and moving toward becoming a Witch; however, at some point I would charge that person to either piss or get off the damn pot. Being half christian and half Witch only goes so far, because in this case two halves do not equal a whole person.

As a result of what the bible says or how it was interpreted, countless men and even more women have DIED, horrible, degrading unimaginable deaths and that was just the people who weren't even really Witches. A fully-committed and practicing christian cannot in good faith and with an honest heart just conveniently decide to ignore parts of their religion's doctrine, such as the Witches should die part. No more than a Witch can forever limit his/her access to true knowledge (i.e. power), because it might make the all-knowing sky daddy angry.

Jevne, would your opinion be the same for a witch and a practicing: buddhist? a hindu? a muslim? a 'neopagan'? a jew? a rastafarian? :huh:

As others have stated, I think it would depend on the level of practicing and the underlying doctrine of the religion in question. I'm not sure if any Buddhists or Hindus ever killed hundreds of thousands of people for not believing the same things as them. Maybe they have. Two open-minded people who are willing to make concessions on certain things could give it a go. I'm not that open-minded.

[[/color]:popcorn:

Re icons - living in an area with so much Latin and Island culture, I am surrounded by Botanicas with xtian statues that have nothing to do with xtianity. I happen to love the island-folkish statues and have several in my house. If an owl can be used to represent Lilith in that aspect (and have nothing to do with an actual owl) then certain Madonna statues could well be used for the ssame thing. When my Santero friend sees the saints in my house he acknowledges the statues as who he sees them to be. The Catholic girl at work does the same. Unless the statue has been ritually awoken to house a specific focus of energy or entity, it is merely a statue or artwork. (I just re-read the post and had to correct it - I'd put "statute" in every place I meant to put "statue"... that's what you get for working in a law office, lol!)

M

Why can't a witch believe what the bible says AND be witch? There are people that believe that jesus was a witch... etc.

Something I think is important to remember regarding this question, is that the Bible verse condemning witches to death has not changed. The word witch was changed to sorceress in some versions, but the message remains the same.

Exodus 22:18 (King James Version)

18Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Exodus 22:18 (New International Version, ©2011)

18 “Do not allow a sorceress to live.

Exodus 22:18 (New American Standard Bible)

18"You shall not allow a (A)sorceress to live.

Exodus 22:18 (GOD’S WORD Translation)

18“Never let a witch live.

Exodus 22:18 (Good News Translation)

18 (A)Put to death any woman who practices magic.

Exodus 22:18 (Contemporary English Version)

18Death is the punishment for witchcraft.

Again, just to stir things up: Is it the actual icon that you dislike? Or the feeling of being stifled and the history that that symbol represents? Why can we not borrow icons, images and conceptual energy forms from other groups and religions?

Door number two. It's such a heavily Catholic image that it bothers me much more than other xtian symbols would. Actually, I have no problem with xtians who actually "practice what they preach", so to speak, but I have not run across many, personally. Catholics, in particular, give me a strong urge to hurl-partly because of the violent and relentless history of the religion and partly because they are so blatantly insistent that theirs is the only way. I find them to be so incredibly arrogant and judgemental, not to mention inflexible. My personal opinions, of course.

As far as borrowing icons from other groups and religions, hey-whatever floats your boat. I simply don't find a need or reason to, personally.

Actually, I have no problem with xtians who actually "practice what they preach",

....and if they don't practise what they preach, then I totally loose interest in listening to their views

I have come across quite a few people who are very judgmental against the religion of others, but then don't stick to the 'rule' book of their own religion - total hypocrites ;)

....and if they don't practise what they preach, then I totally loose interest in listening to their views

I have come across quite a few people who are very judgmental against the religion of others, but then don't stick to the 'rule' book of their own religion - total hypocrites ;)

Exactly! If it weren't so irritating, it would be hilarious when you come across those who "pick from the menu" yet are so completely sure that their way is the only one.......

Exodus 22:18 (Good News Translation)

18 (A)Put to death any woman who practices magic.

I especially like this one. It manages to convey "good" news by encouraging christians to break one of the Ten commandments.

Is that irony or stupidity?

Jevne

I especially like this one. It manages to convey "good" news by encouraging christians to break one of the Ten commandments.

Is that irony or stupidity?

Jevne

I can't see it as anything other than stupidity. In that same book (Exodus), in the same version, you have:

Exodus 20:13 (Good News Translation)

13 (A)Do not commit murder.

Sadly I've heard christians explain this by stating that putting to death women who practice magic doesn't constitute 'murder'.

The next time someone gets into that Exodus shit & doing everything the bible tells 'em to, just ask them if their clothing is ... oh ... a polycotton blend. Leviticus 19:19 "Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material". Shuts 'em right up.

LMAO! I am so using that.

The next time someone gets into that Exodus shit & doing everything the bible tells 'em to, just ask them if their clothing is ... oh ... a polycotton blend. Leviticus 19:19 "Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material". Shuts 'em right up.

I likey! this is a good one to keep handy! Maybe they will end up printing an additional section to the bible;

'you are allowed to commit murder, whilst wearing polycotton blend fabrics' just to get around this one ;)

and maybe 'coveting they neighbours ass' might also be allowed if wearing such fabrics!

Re icons - living in an area with so much Latin and Island culture, I am surrounded by Botanicas with xtian statues that have nothing to do with xtianity. I happen to love the island-folkish statues and have several in my house. If an owl can be used to represent Lilith in that aspect (and have nothing to do with an actual owl) then certain Madonna statues could well be used for the ssame thing. When my Santero friend sees the saints in my house he acknowledges the statues as who he sees them to be. The Catholic girl at work does the same. Unless the statue has been ritually awoken to house a specific focus of energy or entity, it is merely a statue or artwork. (I just re-read the post and had to correct it - I'd put "statute" in every place I meant to put "statue"... that's what you get for working in a law office, lol!)

M

My view, as well.

Door number two. It's such a heavily Catholic image that it bothers me much more than other xtian symbols would. Actually, I have no problem with xtians who actually "practice what they preach", so to speak, but I have not run across many, personally. Catholics, in particular, give me a strong urge to hurl-partly because of the violent and relentless history of the religion and partly because they are so blatantly insistent that theirs is the only way. I find them to be so incredibly arrogant and judgemental, not to mention inflexible. My personal opinions, of course.

As far as borrowing icons from other groups and religions, hey-whatever floats your boat. I simply don't find a need or reason to, personally.

I agree, I really was just stirring things up out of curiosity. :stirring:

I can't see it as anything other than stupidity. In that same book (Exodus), in the same version, you have:

Exodus 20:13 (Good News Translation)

13 (A)Do not commit murder.

Sadly I've heard christians explain this by stating that putting to death women who practice magic doesn't constitute 'murder'.

Makes you wonder...

Love it. But that was also my point; -most- 'practicing' christians do not follow the letter of their law.

Jevne's post:

However, what about in the parts of the world where witchcraft grew up in and around christian societies? And what about in the olden times where people would come home from church and whip up a protection spell or pull out a scrying mirror? What are your thoughts there?

My first thoughts are . . . casting a protection spell or using a scrying mirror does not make one a Witch. At least not anymore than standing in a garage makes me a car. Under some definitions, prayers are a form of spell, depending on whether or not someone is a "religious" Witch or not. I'm not.

And, to be a complete devil's advocate (aka pain in the ass shit disturber extraordinaire): Why can't a witch believe what the bible says AND be witch? There are people that believe that jesus was a witch... etc.

I fully respect every individual's right to believe as he/she pleases (hence the caveat at the beginning of my earlier response); however, I'm pretty hardcore, when it comes to christian Witches. I accept that there is a transition period as one is leaving the christian faith and moving toward becoming a Witch; however, at some point I would charge that person to either piss or get off the damn pot. Being half christian and half Witch only goes so far, because in this case two halves do not equal a whole person.

As a result of what the bible says or how it was interpreted, countless men and even more women have DIED, horrible, degrading unimaginable deaths and that was just the people who weren't even really Witches. A fully-committed and practicing christian cannot in good faith and with an honest heart just conveniently decide to ignore parts of their religion's doctrine, such as the Witches should die part. No more than a Witch can forever limit his/her access to true knowledge (i.e. power), because it might make the all-knowing sky daddy angry.

Jevne, would your opinion be the same for a witch and a practicing: buddhist? a hindu? a muslim? a 'neopagan'? a jew? a rastafarian? :huh:

As others have stated, I think it would depend on the level of practicing and the underlying doctrine of the religion in question. I'm not sure if any Buddhists or Hindus ever killed hundreds of thousands of people for not believing the same things as them. Maybe they have. Two open-minded people who are willing to make concessions on certain things could give it a go. I'm not that open-minded.

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for letting me stir things up and pick your brain, Jevne. I hope you understand that it's out of curiosity and respect for the answers and ideas I get back in response.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe that that particular passage was translated and interpreted with bias, as well as having been taken to heart with much too much gusto by the wrong people. By the same token, I personally refuse to paint the 'soft' christians I know with the same brush as those fanatics who drowned/tortured/hanged/terrorised people for a sentence in a book. The fanatics, yes, I do. But just as I would not judge you exclusively by the pidgeon hole of "a witch", I do not judge others by their label of "a christian".

p.s. If standing in a garage does not make me a witch, what does??? :)

----------------------------------------------

p.s. If standing in a garage does not make me a witch, what does??? :)

Obvious:...Standing in a garage in a polycotton blend!

^^ What Absinthe said - while saying the Lord's Prayer Backwards!

Oh yes, I heard many Pentecostal sermon's growing up about this verse and the Pentecostal opinion on the "true meaning". :rolleyes_witch: Has to do with restrictions on women's apparel of course. :brickwall:

My view, as well.

I agree, I really was just stirring things up out of curiosity. :stirring:

Makes you wonder...

Love it. But that was also my point; -most- 'practicing' christians do not follow the letter of their law.

They may not follow it, but usually if the accept the label, they BELIEVE it. Which usually makes them anti-witch.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would add my tuppence;

My understanding is that the verse "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is a mistranslation and the original refers to poisoners. I know a fair few Christians who don't prescribe to the murder of innocent people and would raise the point that those who do are not Christians at all.

On the OT, Husband has referred to himself as a witch but we have never really discussed the subject before. He is an atheist whereas I am more agnostic with a fondness for celtic paganism. Our son will be raised a-religious and encouraged to find his own path, he will of course see me practicing and will be allowed to join in if he so desires.

We did kind of talk about this on another thread (I think it's titled "alone?"). I unfortunately am pretty alone in my beliefs when it comes to my boyfriend. He's an ex-Catholic atheist and after a year and a half of dating is still uncomfortable with my practices. Good thing we live apart ;)

Different spiritual beliefs is a small portion of the reason my husband and I are seperated and getting a divorce. He's a bible reading Christian and no matter how I try to explain my spirituality he accuses me of devil worship. I don't care that he has his beliefs but I'd like him to at least take the time to get some knowledge on what I believe. :vhappywitch:

My husband doesn't mind and once in awhile will tease me. We were never really big on religion, not church goers after we were married. But then, as I like to snope around I did get interested in psyhic work. This lead me to Wicca which was really not for me. Like Moonshine said, couldn't get into the rituals, ceremonies, etc. But then, more snoping, I found witchcraft. Did a lot of research and here I am, a practicing witch for almost 10 yrs. Yeah, I may not do spell work everyday, but I believe in the way of life and will do so.

The problem I have is my in-laws have no clue. Tomorrow we will be celebrating Thanksgiving with them and I always have the fear that my born-again sister-in-law will find out. Last time my youngest got mad at the oldest and asked me put a spell on him to make him nice, right in front of sis in law. She wanted to know what he meant. Just kinda blew her off. There is no need for her to know what I do cuz then, my husband will have to involved and there will be a lot of fireworks. Bad enough my sister doesn't handle it well, but his family will go nuts.

I have the same issue with my parents finding out. I'm out of the broom closet to a lot of friends but my very elderly, Catholic parents would die on the spot if they knew.

My family are all atheists but I think they'd not be very happy knowing what I was doing when I lived at home as I'd lock my bedroom door so I wouldn't be disturbed while I was scrying/divining/staring into candles etc. I think they were relieved that I wasn't doing drugs etc. but I liked to keep things private.

I now live with my partner of 11 years and 2 children (4 and 18 months). My partner is a Methodist and has a strong faith though she only goes to church at xmas and sings along to songs of praise at xmas. Her family are all Methodists (her sister is a devout church goer and even helps run her local church). My partner knows I'm into tarot and even she said she'd like to learn (she has her own cards), she knows I believe something and I'm not religious (she doesn't try to convert me or expect me to go to church etc.) but she doesnt know what I believe (she never asks) or how far I'd like to take it. I don't think she'd be very happy if she caught me spell-casting etc. Can't say I've done anything like that in front of her or have the time come to think of it, I rarely have the time to do anything nowadays - the joys of being a parent lol. So that's me really, I keep myself to myself and if she finds out then all well and good. I'm not ashamed of who I am or what I believe, I'm just wary of what others think or perceive - at worst they might just think I'm a fluffy wiccan :rolleyes_witch:

My husband and I don't share the same path really... but we do have some very similar beliefs. He identifies as a Satanist (in the 'be your own god', look out for yourself way... not in the teenage punk, devil worshiping way). I identify as a Witch of course. We're both atheists. We both have very similar spiritual beliefs. He comes to me to consult my Tarot cards and to help him with spell work when he feels the need. He reads Oracle cards on occasion.

All in all, we match up pretty well. We have respect for the areas where we differ, and enjoy the companionship where we line up.

~ Freki

My family are all atheists but I think they'd not be very happy knowing what I was doing when I lived at home as I'd lock my bedroom door so I wouldn't be disturbed while I was scrying/divining/staring into candles etc. I think they were relieved that I wasn't doing drugs etc. but I liked to keep things private.

I now live with my partner of 11 years and 2 children (4 and 18 months). My partner is a Methodist and has a strong faith though she only goes to church at xmas and sings along to songs of praise at xmas. Her family are all Methodists (her sister is a devout church goer and even helps run her local church). My partner knows I'm into tarot and even she said she'd like to learn (she has her own cards), she knows I believe something and I'm not religious (she doesn't try to convert me or expect me to go to church etc.) but she doesnt know what I believe (she never asks) or how far I'd like to take it. I don't think she'd be very happy if she caught me spell-casting etc. Can't say I've done anything like that in front of her or have the time come to think of it, I rarely have the time to do anything nowadays - the joys of being a parent lol. So that's me really, I keep myself to myself and if she finds out then all well and good. I'm not ashamed of who I am or what I believe, I'm just wary of what others think or perceive - at worst they might just think I'm a fluffy wiccan :rolleyes_witch:

I have to say, I'm a bit mystified that you could be with someone for eleven years and not realize that they are a witch. Are you sure that she doesn't know more than she's saying? On the other hand, kudos to her for being open-minded about your path.