Sign in to follow this  
WitchVillage

The Witch's Sigil Wheel

Anyone know what the origins of the Witch's Sigil Wheel are?

0c1fa984edfec20480111d679f98dc967bf810d1

And this is the Hermetic Rose Cross Sigil Wheel (Hebrew and English versions).

Rose.gifhwb-sigil-2a.gif

Look familiar? Well no doubt they are. Anyone got any insights into who created the Witch's one? Or where it was first put into print?

Lastly here's another one that pops up online, who's author appears to be a Chaos magickian called Rhaven

e71bcff16745512168bc9d2091b243f1.gif

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 1

Any ideas on how they work?  I use sigils all the time but I don't use a wheel.  I use the old fashioned way, take out the vowels and double letters and use what is left.

Sigils are Chaos Magick.

• Upvote 4

Hi Onyx,

Some sigils are certainly Chaos based. Though these aren't the usual Austin Spare inspired Chaos type of sigil. The Hermetic Rose Cross wheel, which I assume is the inspiration for the others, is I believe from the Golden Dawn.

You take your word of intent, or phrase of intent, or spirit name and reduce it to the letters. Then you draw from the first letter to the last, either in straight lines or in flowing ones.

Like so:

tumblr_osdpo94S9R1w8d4tmo4_1280.jpg

1518827390950.png

• Upvote 1

Oh thanks!  Now I get it, I would imagine you would use tracing paper over your guide.  I use the method of no vowels or repeat letters, it is the way I learned it and it definitely works for me.  However, no harm in trying out something new and my method probably takes longer to reduce the sentence, especially if there are multiple words used.

• Upvote 1

You can also create sigils tracing the letters out from any kind of letter input design. Like the keyboard on the tablet I'm writing this on I could use it to create "qwerty sigils".

Especially good for workings that are to effect something or someone online or anything computer related.

It works well on anybody who spends a great deal of time typing (which is virtually everyone these days), it interacts with the unconscious ability to type without needing to think about typing. Let's your working slip right into them and their lives. Hope that made sense.

• Upvote 1

I quite like this simple wheel one, actually. Thank you for sharing these! I've not got the hang of making sigils from removing letters, something about it just doesn't click in my mind whereas this makes more sense. The origins might be hardish to find, but I'd guess their modernish and your probably right that the Golden Dawn one inspired them. I often create what some would term symbols rather than sigils (more a very simplifed basic picture than a sign made from letters) as I've always felt it's partly the link to me that makes it work. Interestingly, my first ever one (done age about 12) links in with my ancestor work now. After looking, it seems the top one is an author called Maureen Murrish, who published it in a book called The Wheel of the Year. It seems to be Wiccanesque as she mentions the Goddess and her consort during the write up. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure about Murrish's 'Wheel of the Year' (2014) as the source. I think I first encountered this in an Ann Moura book 'Green Witchcraft' (1996). Unfortunately I don't have it any more. Definitely appears to be inspired by the Golden Dawn one though. 

Agree about the AOS method, doesn't really click with me either very well. I like this better. Ditto about symbols in sigils too; broadly speaking I feel the Image is a more Lunar (intuitive / witchcrafty) energy than the Word, which I think of as typically more Solar (intellectual / ceremonial) in nature. Though I resonate with both in different ways.

I quite like this simple wheel one, actually. Thank you for sharing these! I've not got the hang of making sigils from removing letters, something about it just doesn't click in my mind whereas this makes more sense. The origins might be hardish to find, but I'd guess their modernish and your probably right that the Golden Dawn one inspired them. I often create what some would term symbols rather than sigils (more a very simplifed basic picture than a sign made from letters) as I've always felt it's partly the link to me that makes it work. Interestingly, my first ever one (done age about 12) links in with my ancestor work now. After looking, it seems the top one is an author called Maureen Murrish, who published it in a book called The Wheel of the Year. It seems to be Wiccanesque as she mentions the Goddess and her consort during the write up. 

Edited by WitchVillage

Brill! Glad you find it of use. Let us know how you get on with it  :)

This is really interesting!  I'm going to work with it this year and see what I think about it.  Thanks for posting!  

Ah, yes. Perhaps Murrish is only describing the method in her book. It's a shame more books don't give proper sources for their material, even an honest 'the earliest account I can find of use is...' would be helpful. It's an issue I find a bit annoying in a few Llewellwyn books, particularly as their sources are often a picking of several different traditions (Hoodoo, strains of Wicca, a Romany curse, a sudden snatch of a Sabbatic elixir - always with the warning never to use it etc.). 

• Upvote 1

I created my first sigil tonight, put it in my pocket to send it off in a few minutes. When I went to get the sigil, it was gone. I combed over the area I was in, never found it.😃 For me this was a more welcome happenstance, I know my sigil will come to be since the Spirits I have watching over me took it.

Yes, Mattmesa, Sigils are very successful for me, just set it and forget it.   Weird that it just dissappeared, but it is gone and that is the main thing.  If you do find it again and it has happened to me.  set it on fire.

• Upvote 1

I just had a thought Mattmesa!  I usually put my Sigil under my Spell candle, just to keep it safe.  That's usually where I find them.

Sign in to follow this