Sign in to follow this  
HagaGrimalkin

Elderberry dried, possible for wine making?

The only problem is that they are dried.  The wine comes from fermenting the juice.

However,

dried berries can often be reconstituted with boiling water, sugar and a pectin of some sort, much like making syrup.

This syrup can the be added to a wine or brandy as a flavoring.

• Upvote 2

I made wine for years, from wild fruit in a press the old fashioned way (well, besides using modern chemicals like sulfites, and bred yeast). I second what Sagefire said, but, add that you can also add the dried berries before fermentation as well; the liquid in the mix will reconstitute the berries to some degree, and having the dried berries in there would certainly magically extract. Fermentation is quite the process: if it gets really warm it bubbles similar to a boil does. You won't be able to make wine out of JUST those berries, but, an elderberry-grape, elderberry-raspberry, elderberry-apple, whatever, would certainly be very interesting. Did you ever try it? How did it come out?

I am kind of partial to meads, myself - if it were me, I'd set up a mead to ferment and throw the berries into that to reconstitute and infuse.  I agree that reconstituting the berries and making the wine with that alone is not likely to yield a very tasty product.  

• Upvote 1

I have never made a mead before. How much honey is required? Is the process much different from regular wine? It always seemed like it could be cost-prohibitive, though there is an apiary here that sells half gallons for $30-35 in the stores... although I have not seen that size around lately... methinks there aren't as many weirdos around here as I thought.

A typical batch of mead has about 3 pounds of honey per gallon.  It can vary a bit by recipe - I'd just grab a good beginner's recipe and use that as your base, adding the dried elderberries into it for the first fermentation.  Let us know how it goes!  :-)

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this