Photo
- - - - -

Moon phase on the forum?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I was sure we had a moon phase calendar on here. Did we? If not how difficult would it be to have one? What do others think?

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

We had one a long time ago on the home page. Don't know what happened to it. But if Droghon was using the same widget I did on my site, it goes wonky on a regular basis.

I keep a paper calendar by my bench that I've marked up. A lot of weather sites also give you the moon phase. But if it's something the members want, I'm sure Droghon can find something ...

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

We had one a long time ago on the home page. Don't know what happened to it. But if Droghon was using the same widget I did on my site, it goes wonky on a regular basis.

I keep a paper calendar by my bench that I've marked up. A lot of weather sites also give you the moon phase. But if it's something the members want, I'm sure Droghon can find something ...

I used the one here a lot, but I do remember Droghon saying that it slows the site down sometimes.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

I don't know about something for the home page, but I think IP Board should have some kind of add on or feature for the calendar linked at the top of the forums. I don't know how easy it would be to implement but something like that shouldn't affect loading times for the site.

I didn't see what you had originally though so this might not be what you're after.

#5 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

On sites with them back in the day when I did look at pagan sites they were always slow, crashed or just didn't appear depending on computer I was using.

Personally I can't see the point in them though, if you want to know the moon phases, look for her each night.

#6 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Aloe said

I used the one here a lot, but I do remember Droghon saying that it slows the site down sometimes.

Ah, so there was one on here. If it slows the forum down then its a no go from me.

Archabyss said

Personally I can't see the point in them though, if you want to know the moon phases, look for her each night.

Ever heard of clouds? I live in England where clouds are a big feature unfortunately ;)

I am obviously one of those witches that does not feel every phase of the moon. Never mind I suppose I will have to walk all the way from my PC to the other side of the room where my moon calendar poster is on the wall damn it :lolol:

#7 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi spinney, sorry for late reply, I've been away on a three day training course.

We did have a moon phase sideblock on the forum, I actually still have the sideblock but I disabled it a while back as it sometimes slows everything down, the code calls up data from a server in the US and it seems to get swamped evry so often and doesn't repsond which means our server has to wait for a response for ages before giviing up. I'll have another look at it and see if it's working again and perhaps put it back on.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#8 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

1351670473[/url]' post='136335']

Ever heard of clouds? I live in England where clouds are a big feature unfortunately ;)

Snap, but its not cloudy all the time we have some breaks ;)