The Cabin in the Woods

Evergreen47

I'm a huge fan of horror movies all year round, but in honor of the season, I would highly recommend The Cabin In The Woods for your viewing pleasure. It's a pretty standard slasher movie except that it's also an homage to all horror movies every made. It also explains the origins of all horror movies. If this sounds complex, you're correct; it is. But if you're looking for a good Halloween movie that is not run of the mill, see-the-ending-coming-a-mile-away, and if you like a little humor in your horror, this movie may be for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENUBUdFswM

Yeah, I saw it at Disney World, and thought it was a good movie, but I could have waited til it came out on DVD. The premise was too far fetched for me, and I kinda wish they hadn't made it so blatantly obvious what was going on from the beginning. I found it predictable.

J

Well, aren't you two hard to please!! tongue0013.gif

Full disclosure: I'm slightly addicted to horror movies of all kinds, and it takes a lot for me to think they're bad. Also, I'm sort of a Whedonite, and, thus, will watch anything that Joss has a hand in and most likely love it. So, I guess, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I totally thought this movie was a good time, though. redface.gif

I want to love Joss Whedon too, but I think my love for Buffy blinds me to him being just eh and mediocre. I didn't like angel, firefly was ok, and I liked Dollhouse, serenity wasn't great, and cabin in the woods is ok. I could go on with his other work, but I'll stop.

So in closing I think Buffy was a fluke for Joss and he has just kinda road that success.

I want to love Joss Whedon too, but I think my love for Buffy blinds me to him being just eh and mediocre. I didn't like angel, firefly was ok, and I liked Dollhouse, serenity wasn't great, and cabin in the woods is ok. I could go on with his other work, but I'll stop.

So in closing I think Buffy was a fluke for Joss and he has just kinda road that success.

I could write a rather lengthy rebuttal, but I try not to be annoying in my love of Whedon.

BUT HOW CAN YOU SAY FIREFLY WAS JUST OKAY AND SERENITY WASN'T GREAT????!!!!! omg.gif

kiss.gif

Evergreen47, you and I are of one mind in regards to whedon, (excluding firefly/serenity only because I fear that if I watch them I'll hate them/never get over the fact that it died prematurely just like Pushing Davies and everything else by bryan fuller) I loved the cabin the woods, the moment I saw the dude that played topher in Dollhouse(omg memories, flawless, beautiful, fantabulous, my kween eliza dushku, etc, etc) it became immediately apparent that Joss had a (beautiful, talented, etc, etc)hand in it. And that's my post for this month. See ya in November.

I love my horrors too and have been planning to watch this as part of my, 'one horror film a day for two weeks', ritual I do every samhain/halloween time. :P

I've been hearing some really mixed opinions about this, and I'm really intrigued. It has to be better than some of the horror movies the industry have offered up this year. I've just watched Paranormal Activity 4, first one of the series I've just laughed through. Really, really terrible.

• 2 months later...

It wasn't quite what I expected; you think you're "in" on the whole deal at first, then you start to wonder.. then it's like "..seriously? I've just stumbled in the Buffyverse!"

It was fun, but not a masterpiece. And I was a huuge Buffy fan, but I will agree with echotango in that Buffy was Whedon's best work. I never felt that Firefly quite reconciled the whole SciFi thing with the "ol' wild west" thing, but I liked it okay. I remember Gene Roddenberry referring to the original Star Trek series as a "wagon train to the stars" but Joss seemed to take that almost to it's literal conclusion. It definitely had some great moments though.

• 11 months later...