• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Now I have a chance to read this book thought I would post up about it.

Whilst I enjoyed the book and it has new and interesting bits including a couple of hints and a verse from the fated Dragon Grimoire of Chumbleys yet to be released, it was a bit disappointing in a way. If you are expecting the UV or the AP then you will be too at first.

It does have a few stories about personal practice but it can seem to be a retread of poison history from the CS viewpoint if you read it in that first disappointed way. Once you get past that though it is an engaging book, whilst I have a fair amount of some of the history in other books albeit not in a such a lovely prose, it does have a wealth of insights built into them. I like the way each chapter is a complete essay which you can take as individual if you wish or as and when you can flip back and forth between them.

There is a interesting chapter on Hecate and poisons, which builds on some Mandrake lore I have in regards to corpses and also in the book discusses the poisons that the human and animal corpse creates and releases including in part the effects. Interesting and I have read bits on this before but not in this detail.

The book has given me a few ideas and new directions to go in regarding practise (not in the corpse direction!) but for me strangely rather reading it with Schulke's other books I found that I got more out of it with Pendell's trinity of books.

Recommended but just don't expect it to be like his other books.

#2 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the review on the book.

Was this book on the expensive side as some of the other Schulke's other books are ?

#3 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the review on the book.

Was this book on the expensive side as some of the other Schulke's other books are ?

It's not sold out yet, Ex, so the hardcover is only $40 (the deluxe edition is gone). I'm going to pick it up soon!

http://www.threehand.../veneficium.php

The expensive copies are what happens when Schulke's work goes to the second-hand market.

Thanks for the review, Archabyss!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#4 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

It costs less if you can get it from a good bookshop now before they go to secondhand market, someone already has a copy on eBay for 53 which is way more than I paid. Both Xoanon and 3HP books are always reasonable for their standard hardbacks before the secondhand profiteers get their hands on them.

#5 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

So had anyone else read this book? What do you all think about it? I'm looking at getting it but I'm on the fence.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#6 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

I liked Veneficum a lot. I found it a good companion to the grimoires, but it is not a grimoire, but instead it is articles and stories. It is along the lines of the Opuscula Magica series or the Occult Monographs from Three Hands Press rather than the poetic grimoires of Xoanan. Three Hand Press offerings are very different from Xoanan books with a totally different focus and a lower price point!
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#7 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I just ordered this book through Fields Bookstore. I'm hoping its worth the price of $55.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#8 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Great book!  I have the PDF. :D

Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#9 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Guys. Guys! They're releasing it in paperback!

https://www.amazon.c...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#10 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Thanks MW; just pre-ordered!

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.