Photo
- - - - -

Tarot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 Lori_451

Lori_451

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

I am considering changing Tarot Decks .. I have the Goddess Tarot by Kris Waldherr that I really like .. and it has helped me tremendously with my reading abilities .. However .. something is telling me it is time to change ... as well as getting a new pendulum .. I have decided to get a Bloodstone Pendulum .. I have a Rose Quartz one atm .. I use it in conjunction with my Tarot..so I guess it isn't surprising I feel compelled to get another as well .. I am unsure what deck to get .. I want something .. darker .. is the only word I can think of .. but not Gothic or whatever .. I have seen the Gothic Tarot deck ..not for me .. not looking for blood and gore either .. I felt really really drawn to an erotic tarot deck that I ran across online called The Casanova deck .. anyway .. I'm just wondering if anyone can think of a "darker" deck ... not pink and fluffy .. hehe .. and also I'm curious as to what decks everyone here uses ...
I used to believe in reincarnation, but that was in a past life ...

#2 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

Here's a link to a site that I love to browse. It's got just about every Tarot deck out there, so you ought to be able to find something.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

I have a Rider-Waite deck and a Druid Craft deck (which is touted as "Wiccan" but I liked the pictures). I don't really use either one, as I feel no affinity with them. My grandmother read regular playing cards for years and years and had quite a following. I don't have that talent, I don't think. I'd love to use them as a divinatory tool but never seem to find the time to learn more... so I guess it's not important enough to me at this time.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#3 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

I stick with my boring old Rider Waite Tarot but also have a Halloween deck and love them. I tried a Dragon Tarot deck but the readings seemed to only show really mundane and negative events? Didnt matter if I used them on others or myself. The Vampire Tarot has some lovely dark images but were difficult to read (for me anyways).
Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#4 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Alrighty... now I've been piqued into learning tarot. My hubby used to read, so it shouldn't take much convincing for him to help me get started. Besides, my bday is Monday and I can justify a present to myself.
:cauldron:

You people are an influence!
(not bad, mind you... just an influence)

:thanks:

#5 Lori_451

Lori_451

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

See thats's the thing .. I used mine quite a lot .. I started out years ago with the mythic tarot deck .. then it just disappeared .. then I bought the egyptian tarot..didn't care for it so I gave it to my daughter .. then I bought the Goddess Deck .. man.. that was my deck .. I really learned a lot .. but I've stopped using it ..

The link you sent me Kitchenwitch is actually the link I found the different card decks from .. lol .. Wouldn't it figure .. The deck I actually have that gut feeling for is rare and out of print in the US .. grrrrr .. fundies ruining my chances of getting this deck at a decent price .... :argg:

#6 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

I have 3...a wolf deck...an animal spiriti deck and an Egyptian deck...I use all three in readings at once and get really good results.

#7 Lori_451

Lori_451

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

You and my daughter would get along then Anjel.. She LOVES Wolves .. She has them all over her room .. She has had dreams of running with a pack of them .. nursing from a momma wolf .. and recently .. well over a month ago .. she had a dream she was going on her first hunt .. then a few days later she had her first period .. I nearly bought her a wolf deck ... I think I will do that for Samhain .. She has my Egyptian deck too ..

#8 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

I am currently looking for a deck as well. I used to have an egyptian deck some years ago but never really used them. Unfortunately I lost them in a move and now that I am actually taking the time to learn them I dont have one lol. But I think with my next pay check I will have enough to go get a deck. then I will have to preactice, preactice, preactice lol cause I am worried as to wheather I will be able to enter the cards like i have read im supposed to be able to. But I will let yall know how it goes.

#9 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

Yep me too....I was given a deck some time ago (years !) but can't seem to find them, so I'm having a look on the site that KW posted to see what jumps out at me, if you see what I mean :)
LadyHawk x

#10 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

Talked to the hubby this morning and he suggested "Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey". Anyone familiar with this book? Views?

#11 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

You and my daughter would get along then Anjel.. She LOVES Wolves .. She has them all over her room .. She has had dreams of running with a pack of them .. nursing from a momma wolf .. and recently .. well over a month ago .. she had a dream she was going on her first hunt .. then a few days later she had her first period .. I nearly bought her a wolf deck ... I think I will do that for Samhain .. She has my Egyptian deck too ..

Excellent!!!

#12 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

Consider the Thoth deck, which was Aleister Crowley's design. I have always got a much darker feeling from it than my regular Rider-Waite that I use.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#13 Constance

Constance

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

Consider the Thoth deck, which was Aleister Crowley's design. I have always got a much darker feeling from it than my regular Rider-Waite that I use.

I second the Thoth deck -- it's my primary deck and the artwork is a bit darker and more subdued than others (however, a lot of that depends on which publishing house you get the deck from -- there has been a more recent publication of the deck done with brighter colors and clearer proofs. The brighter, clearer deck is published by Samuel Weiser, Inc. and it is lovely -- still subdued but with clearer details and slighty brighter colors. I highly recomend it, because you can see so much more in the details than in my older version.)

Others to check out would be:

The Cagliostro Tarot Deck (Heavily Egyptian themed, but with minor Arcana cards that don't contain symbolic pictures, only depict the number of each suit).

THe Stairs of Gold Tarot by Cavaglione (Darker images, with many many correspondences diepicted on the Major Arcana cards, including Hebrew Letter, Path on the Tree of Life, Astrological Association, and many more. But once again, non-symbolic Minors. The pattern on the back of the deck is lovely, too.)

Navagators Tarot of the Mystic Sea (More modern than the other two, heavily influenced by Alchemy, still dark. Symbolic Minors.)

The Londa Tarot (Dark, but not one of my favorites. The symbolism is a bit shallow, but some folks find the artwork quite lovely. My friends and I call it the "evil elf" tarot. Symbolic Minors --well, they have human figures on them, but like I said, the symbolism is shallow.)

New Orleans Voodoo Tarot (Lovely artwork, dark symbolism, symbolic minors -- definitely NOT the traditional suit names, though. Requires a lot of knowledge of N.O. Voodoo to interpret deeply -- at least, if you want to stick with the traditional voodoo meanings of what is depicted.)

If you want to see pictures of any of the above decks give me a shout (though I think you can find pictures of cards for most, if not all, of them on the Aeclectic Tarot site that was mentioned above.)

I'm a Tarot fanatic -- been working with them for 22 years.

People from the South read a bit more than those from other regions, mostly religious books and romance novels. -- Where you fall in poll of U.S. reading habits, Cnn.com

Spooked: Books to Run From

Getting dirty for soap fairy since 2007.

Mistress of the mystic kangaroo defense method (MKDM).

#14 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

Well I got some exciting news to share....I went out and bought my Tarot deck yesterday. It's not the deck that I originaly was looking at getting however while I was looking at the assortment of lesser expensive decks there was one that cought my eye, at first I just looked it over and continue looking at the others that I saw there, but for some reason I kept coming back to the first one that cought my eye. I could not explain why but after a few minutes of looking at all the decks I could not get away from this first deck anyway I finally picked it up and could feel all sort of energy from the deck so I said right away that this was the one I was going to get. I cant remember what the name of it is at this moment but I will share it later when I figure out what it is.

After I got out of work last night I decided to try and lay out my shadow cards for the first time. Well I did it incorrectly the first time I accidentaly layed the 6th card I pulled in the first position but it took me a few minutes to realise this. The thing that i found to be most interesting is that the same cards that I had layed in the 5th and 6th position in the first attempt those same 2 cards came out in the second attempt in the same positions. The moon was in my 5th pos and the magicician in the 6th. I am trying to now figure out what these cards all mean now that I have my first layout.

Just wanted to share this with yall.

#15 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

Well I got some exciting news to share....I went out and bought my Tarot deck yesterday. It's not the deck that I originaly was looking at getting however while I was looking at the assortment of lesser expensive decks there was one that cought my eye, at first I just looked it over and continue looking at the others that I saw there, but for some reason I kept coming back to the first one that cought my eye. I could not explain why but after a few minutes of looking at all the decks I could not get away from this first deck anyway I finally picked it up and could feel all sort of energy from the deck so I said right away that this was the one I was going to get. I cant remember what the name of it is at this moment but I will share it later when I figure out what it is.

After I got out of work last night I decided to try and lay out my shadow cards for the first time. Well I did it incorrectly the first time I accidentaly layed the 6th card I pulled in the first position but it took me a few minutes to realise this. The thing that i found to be most interesting is that the same cards that I had layed in the 5th and 6th position in the first attempt those same 2 cards came out in the second attempt in the same positions. The moon was in my 5th pos and the magicician in the 6th. I am trying to now figure out what these cards all mean now that I have my first layout.

Just wanted to share this with yall.

Sounds like a good reading...normally there is a small booklet that is included with decks. Check that and om stly go by your inution.

#16 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like a good reading...normally there is a small booklet that is included with decks. Check that and om stly go by your inution.

Yeah it came with the booklet but acording to the shadow book that i am reading supposedly they have different meanings then a typical reading which I still dont fully understand but im getting there I know it takes time. I am struggling at meditating and trying to get inside the card so I can get a better reading and understanding of the cards. But again I am taking my time with it.

#17 snow

snow

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

I don't have a Tarot deck, as I'm not sure it suits me. I am however interested in reading playing cards. As well as my homemade rune set that I'm working on.

As for pendulums, that Lori mentioned in her first post, I also made my own. I had a little silver chain bracelet given as a gift to me long ago. I attached a ring my mother gave to me to the clasp. Voila! A pendulum! And I think it's working very well, I got some interesting readings today....

Bigmouth Strikes Again

#18 Lori_451

Lori_451

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:36 PM

I decided on the gilded Tarot Deck .. I absolutely love it.. The first 3 readings I have done have been absolutely phenomenal ... I ended up going with a Bloodstone Pendulum that I found on ebay..still waiting for it to come in ....

#19 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

The Londa Tarot (Dark, but not one of my favorites. The symbolism is a bit shallow, but some folks find the artwork quite lovely. My friends and I call it the "evil elf" tarot. Symbolic Minors --well, they have human figures on them, but like I said, the symbolism is shallow.)

I was wondering what you mean by the symbolism being shallow? I ask casue this is the deck that I bought. I could not remember at the time of my last post here what the name was but I brought the cards with me to work so that i could bring them here to the library so that I knew I would not forget its name this time lol. Anyway, I really like this deck for some unknown (to me) reason but I got a hell of a good energy serge when I picked them up ( not just the first time either but everytime I pick these cards up.

#20 BellaFae

BellaFae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

I like to got to that site that KW posted, so I can see the pictures. But I like to check ebay for best prices and some stores have out of print/rare decks. There are many ebay stores but 2 of my favorites are:

http://search.stores...1562157QQsofpZ0

http://search.stores...9542008QQsofpZ0

:flyaway:Lauren:flyaway: