Photo
- - - - -

Elizabeth Eaves/Eves (ca. 1798 - 1869) of Hadleigh, Essex

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Can't believe that we are already in the second half of October already.

I been working on a research that I started a few years earlier checking for new information. I am posting what I know about William and Elizabeth Eaves/Eve here. And I found some more information that is leading me to check some other records on finding who was Mrs. Elizabeth Eaves before she married William Eaves.

Elizabeth was born ca. 1798 in Sible Hedingham, Essex and it believed that she was married one time before. Possibly her 1st married name or maiden name was Finch.

She was about ten or eleven years older than William Eaves. This is typical of the witches, that they were somewhat older than their husband and the husband would be a second husband.

They were in Hadleigh, Essex by 1837.

The Eaves/Eves family of Hadleigh, Essex

From the book, The Dark World of Witches, by Eric Maple, 1962:

Page 168-169

The Hadleigh witch was a Mrs. Eve, against whom Murrell pitted all the powers of white magic. After her death a curious and macabre story was circulated in the village.

When the witch died nobody could be found to lay out the body, but finally one woman agreed to do this provided she was not left alone with the corpse. She and a neighbour then hurried through their task and were about to leave when a man entered the room.

It was the witch's son, who had been away from home for a long time. His first words were , "I know my mother is dead. Her spirit came and stood at my side as I worked in the fields." He then asked the women not to leave as he had one last task for them.

They were to build up a big fire as he had something to burn. Then, going to a chest, he took out a small box from within which came a rustling. He said to the two woman, "My mother held a power and that power comes to me but I'll not have it." He then thrust the box into the flames.

At once a terrible screaming arose from the box, like a human voice in agony, which went on and on until the box and its contents had been reduced to ashes. Then the dreadful silence which followed, the man said very quietly, "The power has been destroyed. At last I'm free."

This grim folk-tale reveals the old-time belief that the power of a witch was passed down to her descendants by means of animal familiars, which were handed on at death, but it also indicates how that entail might be broken … by fire.

The following is the ongoing reconstruction of Elizabeth Eaves' family. The surname of the family is spelled Eaves and Eves in the records.

Elizabeth Eaves (ca. 1798 - 1869)

ELIZABETH ---?--- was born ca. 1798 in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

Currently I am searching for the last name of Elizabeth and who were her parents.

Elizabeth ---?---- married WILLIAM EAVES

William Eaves was born ca. 1811 or 1812 in Rochford, Essex

It is believed that William Eaves was a second husband to Elizabeth.

~ 1826

Elizabeth's son, Joseph, was born ca. 1826 in Essex.

~ 1834

Elizabeth's daughter, Eliza, was born in Belchamps Walter, Essex.

~ 1837

Eliza Eaves, was baptized June 25, 1837 at Hadleigh, Essex. The parents were listed as William and Elizabeth Eaves.

~ 1841

In 1841, William and Elizabeth Eves were living in Hadleigh, Essex. William was an Agricultural Laborer.

From the 1841 census of Hadleigh:

Name - Age Sex - Profession - Born in County ?

William Eves…… 21 M…. Ag Lab….. y
Elizabeth… do…. 30 F…………………. y
Joseph……. do.… 15 M……………….… y
Eliza………. Do…… 7 F………………….. y

~ 1851

In 1851, William and Elizabeth Eaves were living in Hadleigh, Essex. William was an Agricultural Laborer.

From the 1851 census of Hadleigh:

Name - Relationship – Married or Single – Age – Sex – Profession – Birthplace

William Eaves…… head… mar… 40 M…. Ag lab………… Essex Rochford
Elizabeth… do…… wife…… “……. 51 F…………………………… “… Little Hedingham
Eliza………. Do…… daur…. U…… 16 F…………………………… “… Walter Belchamp

~ 1861

In 1861, William and Elizabeth Eaves were living in Hadleigh, Essex. William was an Agricultural laborer. Their daughter and her husband were living with them.

From the 1861 census of Hadleigh:

On Causeway

William Eaves…….. Head…… mar…… 49 M….. Agr laborer…….. Essex Rochford
Elizabeth… do…….. Wife……… do……. 59 F………………………………. do… Sible Hedingham
Joseph Willshire…. Lodger….. do……. 30 M……….. do……………….. do… Thundersley
Eliza Willshire…….. lodger…. Mar…… 26 F……………………………. Essex Walter Belchamp

~ 1869

Elizabeth Eves died at the age of 71 in the 1st quarter (Jan-Feb-Mar) of 1869 in the Rochford registration district of Essex. Hadleigh is in the Rochford R.D.

From the England & Wales, Death Index:

Name:….………………….. Elizabeth Eves
Date:……………………….. Jan-Feb-Mar 1869
Registration District:…. Rochford
County:……………………. Essex
Vol:…………………………. 4a
Page:……………………….. 121

~ 1871

In 1871, William Eves, a widower, age 60, was living with his daughter and son-in-law, Joseph and Eliza Wiltshire, at 1 New Road in Hadleigh, Essex. William Eves was an Agricultural Labourer.

From the 1871 census of Hadleigh:

1 New Road

Joseph Wiltshire…. Head… Mar…. 39 M….. Ag Lab………….. Essex Thundersley
Eliza……. Do………… Wife… Mar…. 37 F…………………………….. "…… Walter Belcham
William… Do………. Son………………9 M….. Farm - boy….…….. "…… Hadleigh
Sarah……. Do………. Daur……………. 7 F…… Scholar…………….. "…… Hadleigh
Agnes…… Do………. Daur……………. 4 F…… Scholar…………….. "……. Hadleigh
Frederick… Do……. Son……………… 2 M…………………………….. "……. Hadleigh
William Eves……… Fr-in-law… Widr.. 60 M….. Ag. Lab……… "…….. Rochford

~ also in 1871

William Eaves died at the age of 59 in the 4th quarter (Oct-Nov-Dec) of 1871 in the Rochford registration district of Essex. Hadleigh is in the Rochford R. D.

From the England & Wales, Death Index:

Name:…………………….… William Eaves
Date:………………………… Oct-Nov-Dec 1871
Registration District:….. Rochford
County: …………………….. Essex
Volume: ……………………. 4a
Page: ………………………… 139

Children of William and Elizabeth Eaves

Note: it is not certain that Joseph Eaves was actually the son of William Eaves. Also it may be the same case with Eliza Eaves, she was born 3 years before she was baptized. So it depends on when Eliza married William Eaves.

2. JOSEPH EAVES was born ca. 1826 in Essex.

3. + ELIZA EAVES was born ca. 1834 in Belchamps Walter, Essex and was baptized 25 June 1837 at the church in Hadleigh, Essex.

From the baptism record of Hadleigh:

Image No. 24 right side

When Baptized. – Child’s Christian Name. – Parents Names, Christian & Surname – Abode. – Profession. – By whom the ceremony was performed.

Baptisms 1837 -- Page 43. No. 338.

25 June / Eliza / William and Elizabeth / Eaves / Hadleigh / Labourer / P. J. Watherston

Eliza married Joseph Wiltshire.

Next is how the family name Finch started to show up in the research.

#2 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

She was about ten or eleven years older than William Eaves. This is typical of the witches, that they were somewhat older than their husband and the husband would be a second husband.

You've made me wonder if every witch should have a younger lover. We're not quite the same as older 'ordinaries' and we could certainly store a bit of freely-given virile energy for later use.

But, seriously, Exile, lots of research, and fascinating. I particularly like the story of the burning power kept in the box. It's wonderful when you strike a seam of new information. Thanks for sharing.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#3 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Lol,im ten years older then hub by,truth be told ,he looks his age well, actually he looks my age.

#4 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Lol,im ten years older then hub by,truth be told ,he looks his age well, actually he looks my age.

Lol, I'm only two years older than my OH, but HE is the one with the full head of gray hair! :tongue0013:

#5 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the comments.

It is the pattern from most of the researches that I have done on the witches of the 18th century to 19th century. Generally around 10 years older than the husband and in most cases the husband is the 2nd one.

One case of a bigger age gap is Elizabeth Robinson (1717-1803) who first married Thomas Fyson and then Richard Parfrey. She died in 1803 Holme Hale, Norfolk. In 1799 at age 82 she married Richard Parfrey who was 23 to 24 at the time.

Link to my page on Elizabeth Fyson (1717-1803)

#6 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Lol, I'm only two years older than my OH, but HE is the one with the full head of gray hair! :tongue0013:

Lol,poor things arnt they. :twisted_witch:

#7 froglover

froglover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, but young Parfrey later practised as a healer himself (Elizabeth seems to have been mostly healer) May have been an aspect of apprenticeship to the relationship, hard to tell....

#8 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

Research continues in the witch Mrs. Elizabeth Eaves/Eves of Hadleigh case.

We have the Eaves/Eves family in Hadleigh in the 1841 census

Name - Age Sex - Profession - Born in County ?

William Eves…… 21 M…. Ag Lab….. y
Elizabeth… do…. 30 F…………………. y
Joseph……. do.… 15 M……………….… y
Eliza………. Do…… 7 F………………….. y

But when trying to find out more about who was Elizabeth Eaves before she married William Eaves and her children things started going like the family is not as it appears.

First when I search for the daughter, Eliza's marriage.

From the 1861 and 1871 census we know that Eliza's husband was Joseph Wiltshire.

But this is the only marriage that I could find in the index for a Eliza to Joseph Wiltshire

Name: Joseph Wiltshire / Eliza Finch
Date: Jul-Aug-Sep 1860
Registration District: Rochford (Hadleigh and other places are in Rochford R. D.)
County: Essex
Vol: 4a
Page: 198

See her name is Eliza Finch

I tried finding the marriage of the mother Elizabeth to William Eaves but didn't find it, I searched 1830's to 1841 marriages of several places. The 1841 cutoff date is because as we can see in the 1841 census they were married and living in Hadleigh.

And also the daughter was baptized in Hadleigh 25 June 1837 and the parents were listed as William and Elizabeth Eaves.

So I widen the search in the Index

And I found this marriage

Names: Elizabeth Finch / William Eares
Date: Jul-Aug-Sep 1843
Registration District: Rochford (Hadleigh and other places are in Rochford R. D.)
County: Essex
Vol.: 12
Page: 307

Notice her name is Elizabeth Finch.

And the husband last name is transcribed in the index as "Eares". I believe that to be a typo for "Eaves" depending on the handwriting on the original document a "v" can be confused as a "r".

Another reason I think "Eares" is a typo is because for the whole England in the 1851 census there is no 'William Eares'

The other thing is that this marriage was in 1843. So if this is the correct marriage then that means they were just living together in Hadleigh at the time of the 1841 census.

I have to order the above 2 marriage certificates to confirm they are the correct ones.

So it is starting to look like Mrs. Elizabeth Eaves/Eves was formerly -- Elizabeth Finch

Got to dig further for finding information on her son "Joseph Eves" of the 1841 census. He may be a Finch too.

#9 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

O.K., Exile-you're kinda freaking me out seeing my name in big blue letters like that in one of your projects, lol!

#10 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Interesting. I'd say you're on the right track, perhaps they said "married" on the 1841 census because there wasn't an option for "living with partner" on the record back then?

I would say its highly likely for Joseph to be Jospeh Finch and not Eves because he's older than Elizabeth. Also, William would have been 6 when Joseph was born so he has no chance of being the father.

Very interesting stuff! I can't wait to see what else you find :)

#11 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

Yes ejfinch there is that diabolical plan - "The Plot" to connect everyone to a past namesake Witch. lol.

You are right Aurelia about the son "Joseph Eves" actually being "Joseph Finch".

Found no trace of a Joseph Eves after the 1841 census. Only Joseph Finch in the 1851 to 1901 censuses.

The strange thing is that his place of birth keeps changing with most of census. Wonder if he had something to hide.

Joseph Finch the son of the Hadleigh Witch Mrs. Elizabeth Eves.

~ 1851

In 1851, Joseph Finch is a Lodger in the home of Charles Green in Hadleigh, Essex.

Joseph Finch was born ca. 1823 in Gestingthorpe, Essex and was an Agricultural Labourer.

Also a lodger at the same home is Joseph Wiltshire, he later married Joseph Finch's sister.

From the 1851 census of Hadleigh

Charles Green….. head… mar… 49 M….. Agr Lab……………. Essex South Bemfleet
Mary A….. do……. wife…. mar…. 39 F……………………………….. "…. Pitsea
Phebe Green……. daur…………… 11 F….. Scholar…………….. Essex Hadleigh
James C… do……. Son……………… 5 M…….. do…………………… "……… "
David Harridge….. U……………… 28 M… Agr Lab………………. "….. Danbury
Joseph Finch…….. U………………. 28 M….. "…. "………………… "…… Gestingthorpe
Joseph Wiltshire.. U………………. 20 M…. "….. "………………… "…… Thundersley

~ 1861

In 1861, Joseph Finch is a Lodger in the home of Charles Green in Hadleigh, Essex.

Joseph Finch was born ca. 1823 in Belchamp Walter, Essex and was an Agricultural Labourer.

From the 1861 census of Hadleigh:

Charles Green……. head… Mar… 58 M…… Agr Laborer…………….. Essex Bemfleet
Mary A… do………. wife…… do…. 48 F……. Laundress…………………. do… Pitsea
Phebe….. do………. daur…. Un…. 21 F…….. Servant……………………… do…. Hadleigh
James…. do………. son……………. 15 M……. Agr laborer………………… do……. Do
Joseph Finch…….. Lodger.. do… 38 M……….. do…………………………. do…. Walter Belchamp

~ 1871

In 1871, Joseph Finch is a Lodger in the home of Charles Green in Hadleigh, Essex.

Joseph Finch was born ca. 1823 in Sudbury, Suffolk and was an Agricultural Labourer.

From the 1871 census of Hadleigh:

70 Village St.

Charles Green… Head…… Mar… 68 M……….. Ag. Lab. ………………. Essex Sth Benfleet
Mary A Green… Wife……. Mar…. 58 F…………………………………………. "…… Pitsea
Joseph Finch…. Lodger… Unm… 48 M………. Ag. Lab. ………………. Suffolk Sudbury

~ 1881

In 1881, Joseph Finch is a Boarder in the home of George Gibling in Hadleigh, Essex.

Joseph Finch was born ca. 1823 in Hadleigh, Essex and he was a Hawker.

From the 1881 census of Hadleigh:

George Gibling…...… Head.…… Mar..… 69 M….. Pork Butcher………... Essex Southminster
Catharine Gibling…. Wife….…. Mar..… 59 F…… Pork Butchers Wife… Essex Barling
Joseph Finch………… Boarder.. Unm… 58 M…. Hawker……………..……. Essex Hadleigh

~ 1891

In 1891, Joseph Finch is a Lodger in the home of George Gibling in Hadleigh, Essex.

Joseph Finch was born ca. 1824 in Hadleigh, Essex and he was a General Labourer.

From the 1891 census of Hadleigh:

High Street 4 - Number of rooms occupied if less than five

George Gibling….. Head…. Widowr … 75 M.... Greengrocer…. Employer…. Essex Maldon
Sarah [Corum?].. Lodger.. Widow….. 64 F………………………………………………. Do.. Barling
Emma Knight……… Do……… S……….. 60 F………………………………………………. Do……. Do
Joseph Finch……….. Do…….. S………… 67 M… General Laborer…………………. Do.. Hadleigh

~ 1901

In 1901, we find that Joseph Finch is living as a lodger in the home of Joseph Wiltshire in Hadleigh, Essex.

But at this census, it is apparent that Joseph Finch's sister has since died as Joseph Wiltshire is listed as a widower.

Joseph Finch was born ca. 1825 in Suffolk and he was a Farm Labourer.

From the 1901 census of Hadleigh:

[Common?] Hall Rd 4 - Number of Rooms occupied if less than five

Joseph Wiltshire… Head.… W… 70 M…. own Means………………………. Thundersley Essex
Joseph Finch……… Lodger.. S…. 76 M….. Labourer Farm.. Worker….. Suffolk
Agnes Hughes……. Visitor.. M… 34 F……………………………………………… Hadleigh Essex
Sarah Marshall….. Daughter.. M.. 37 F…………………………………………………….. Do
May Jones……………… Do…….. M.. 29 F……………………………………………………. Do
George… Do……… Grandson... S…. 5 M………………………………………………….Edmonton Middx
Albert…. Do…………… Do……… S…. 5 month M…………………………………………… Do…. "
Ethel Hughes……. Grand D….. S…. 3 F…………………………………………………… Plastow Ex
Albert… Do…………… Do Son.. S…. 1 M……………………………………………………….. Do…. "

The research continues ………

#12 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

The marriage certificates arrived ….

This morning I received in the mail, the two marriage certificates that I ordered for this research.

The first one is for the 1843 marriage of Elizabeth Finch and William Eaves.

It turned out to be for the correct people. The handwriting on this document is hard to read and that explains why the name "Eaves" was transcribed into the index as "Eares".

They were married in Hadleigh, Essex.

The information from the Marriage certificate:

1843. Marriage solemnized at Hadleigh in the Church of Worship in the County of Essex

No. 22

When Married. 5 July

Names. / Age. / Condition. / Profession. / Residence. / Father's Name. / Father's Profession.

Wm. Eaves / full / Bachr. / Labr. / Hadleigh / Henry Eaves / Labr

Elizabeth Finch / full / Widow / ----- / Hadleigh / Joseph Finch / Labr.

Married in the Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by me, Henry Whittington

This Marriage was solemnized between us,

The Mark of X Wm Eaves
----------------- Elizabeth Finch

in the Presence of us,

Wm [---?---]
George Lloyd

From this we see that William Eaves was a bachelor and a son of Henry Eaves and that Elizabeth Finch was a widow and a daughter of Joseph Finch.

So this means that Elizabeth's married name and maiden name was FINCH

This confirms my hunch because earlier I did came across of a baptism of a Elizabeth Finch to a Joseph Finch and a marriage of a Elizabeth Finch to an Adam Finch. But needed more information to connect to them.

Will bring that up later.

Then for the 2nd certicate.

The 1860 marriage of Joseph Wiltshire and Eliza Finch (the daughter of Elizabeth Finch, now Mrs. Elizabeth Eaves).

They were married in Hadleigh, Essex.

1860. Marriage solemnized at the Church of St James in the Parish of Hadleigh in the County of Essex

No. 71

When Married. Sept 16

Names. / Age. / Condition. / Profession. / Residence. / Father's Name. / Father's Profession.

Joseph Wiltshire / 29 / Bachelor / Labourer / Hadleigh / Mother's name Charlotte Wiltshire / -------

Eliza Finch / 24 / Spinster / ----- / Hadleigh / Mother's name Elizabeth Finch / -----

Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by me, John Godson Curate

This Marriage was solemnized between us,

Joseph Wiltshire
Eliza X Finch her mark

in the Presence of us,

Henry Collings
Emma Gull

This certificate was unusual because instead of putting the father's name of the party, they wrote in the mother's name of the party.

I must have gone through many marriage certificates and this is the first time I see they did that.

Usually in the case that the father's name is not known, they would leave the space blank.

So what did this mean ? The minister decided to put the mother's name because

1. The father's were deceased (but normally they would put the father's name even if deceased) ?

2. Or that they were both born illegitimately and don't know the father's names ?

As is mentioned before Eliza Finch was baptized as Eliza Eaves in 1837. But the parents married in 1843. And then the marriage certificate has her as Eliza Finch.

Well at least the pieces of the puzzle is coming together.

More research result to follow ……

#13 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Sible Hedingham, Essex

The Finch family in the 1790's to 1820's

Joseph Finch and Martha Coney

~ 1793

Joseph Finch and Martha Coney were married 17 October 1793 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the marriage entry:

Image 70 left side

Marriages 1793

Banns of Marriage between Joseph Finch & Martha Coney were published Sept: 29. Oct: 7. & 13 .. 93

Joseph Finch of this Parish Bachelor and Martha Coney of this Parish Spinster were Married in this Church by Banns this seventeenth Day of October in the Year One Thousand Seven Hundred and ninety three by me James Filewood Rector

This Marriage was solemnized between Us
The mark X of Joseph Finch
The mark X of Martha Coney

In the Presence of
Sarah Finch X her mark
John Dains

~ 1812

There was a Martha Finch who died and was buried 3 January 1812 at the churchyard of Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the burial entry:

Image 9 right side

Burials 1812
Martha Finch Jany: 3d.

~ 1822

There was a Joseph Finch that was buried 15 December 1822 at the churchyard of Sible Hedingham, Essex. He was age 50 and his residence was listed as Highstead Green.

From the burial entry:

Image 20 left side

Burials 1822 - Page 34. No. 265.

Name. – Abode. – When Buried. – Age. – By whom the ceremony was performed.

Joseph Finch / Highstead Green / Decr 15 / 50 / Henry Warburton Rector.

Children of Joseph and Elizabeth (Coney) Finch:

1. + ELIZABETH FINCH was baptized 4 September 1796 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the baptism entry:

Image 27 right side

Baptisms 1796
Elizabeth of Joseph & Martha Finch Sepr 4

Elizabeth married 1st. Adam Finch and 2nd. William Eaves.

2. MARY FINCH was baptized 26 August 1798 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the baptism entry:

Image 29 left side

Baptisms 1798
Mary of Joseph & Martha Finch Augst 26

3. EDWARD FINCH was baptized 11 January 1801 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the baptism entry:

Image 31 left side

Baptisms 1801
Edward of Joseph and Martha Finch Jany 11

4. ANN FINCH was baptized 26 February 1804 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the baptism entry:

Image 32 right side

Baptisms 1804
Ann of Joseph and Martha Finch Feby 26

5. JOHN FINCH was baptized 2 May 1806 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the baptism entry:

Image 34 left side

Baptisms 1806
John of Joseph & Martha Finch May 2

Elizabeth Finch (1796 - 1869)

1. ELIZABETH FINCH was born in Sible Hedingham, Essex and was baptized 4 September 1796 at the church in Sible Hedingham.

Father: Joseph Finch
Mother: Martha Coney

The baptism entry in the church records of Sible Hedingham:

Image 27 right side

Baptisms 1796
Elizabeth of Joseph & Martha Finch Sepr 4

~ 1822

Elizabeth Finch married ADAM FINCH on 19 June 1822 at the church in Sible Hedingham, Essex.

From the marriage entry:

Image 23 right side

1822 Marriages -- Page 41. No. 123.

Adam Finch of this Parish Bachelor and Elizabeth Finch of this Parish Spinster were married in this Church by Banns this Nineteenth Day of June in the Year One thousand eight hundred and twenty two

By me Henry Warberton Rector

This Marriage was solemnized between us

Adam Finch his X mark
Elizabeth Finch her X mark

In the Presence of

Jane Everett
William Everett

It is not known if Adam Finch was a cousin or a distant relative of Elizabeth Finch.

Adam Finch's baptism was not found in the records of Sible Hedingham, Essex.

This concludes the research into this case.

I will have all the information put in cronological order and paste it on my webpages. Will put a like here too.

I hope it wasn't too boring, I wanted to share the step by step of how information was gathered and the pieces of the puzzle put together.

Edited by The Exile, 21 November 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#14 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

The article is done on Mrs. Eves the witch of Hadleigh, Essex

As I mentioned in the last post that once I have it in chronolgical order all the stuff put on word and then to my website that I would have a link placed here on the history of the family.

Part I - The parents Joseph and Martha (Coney) Finch in Sible Hedingham

http://www.deadfamil...-Martha-01.html

Part II - Elizabeth Finch (1796-1869) she was the Witch Mrs Eve of Hadleigh, Essex. She married 2nd William Eaves/Eves.

http://www.deadfamil...izabeth-01.html

Part III - Joseph Finch (1823-1903), the son of Mrs. Eves the Witch

http://www.deadfamil...-Joseph-01.html

Part IV - Eliza Finch (1834-1890), the daughter of Mrs. Eves the Witch

http://www.deadfamil...h-Eliza-01.html

A lot of work but not much on the witch side of things. But as with most witches, nothing most of the time is known about their activities.

Eric Maple collected the bit of information/folklore about Mrs. Eves from the old people in Hadleigh, Essex in around 1959.

This work shows that Mrs. Eves did existed and lived in Hadleigh, Essex in the middle of the 19th century.

Thank you for anyone that read the articles or shown interest as I was collecting the information.

Sincerely The Exile.

#15 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

I just re-read this and found it fascinating! Off to the linked pages now to read the write up.
Thanks for sharing all the hard work, Exile!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#16 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thank you for the nice comments Tana !

#17 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts