Was the Priest a Witch?

anjeaunot

Some 60 years ago an illiterate old Irishman confided a youthful escapade to my parents. He was cheating on his wife. The local Catholic priest threatened to turn him into a goat unless he behaved.

I realise that the rural Irish were in awe of their priests, ... but really.

Some 60 years ago an illiterate old Irishman confided a youthful escapade to my parents. He was cheating on his wife. The local Catholic priest threatened to turn him into a goat unless he behaved.

That would be a pretty darn spiffy trick to pull off!

There's been a long long history of priest magicians, the unemployed clergy pretty much developed the western mystery tradition. I don't think it's too far of a stretch for there to be some Irish cleric witches running about, Irish witchcraft is pretty much intermingled a lot with Catholicism as it is.

Either he was a witch or very clever in knowing where the adulterous mans real beliefs and fears were invested...

To quote Terry Goodkind:

"Sometimes the best magic is a trick."

"Reality is irrealevant; Perception is everything"

"People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they either want to believe its true or they fear it might be true."

Yay Goodkind! The only version of Objectivism that doesn't make me want to hurl. :)

Sounds like one of the wind ups my Illiterate Irish Grandad used to have fun stringing folks along with ;)