Spooky

Jukauz

Halloween is getting closer.

Days are getting darker earlier. The wind is up, just a little most nights. Leaves swirl and crunch, gates creak, unfamiliar night noises abound. . . it's positively atmospheric.

It's times like this I need some spooky.

Who doesn't love a good ghost story, something strange, something just a little weird.

The thrill and that little shiver.

So. . .

Tell me a story.

The more the better.

I'll start:

This is a bit of strangeness that has been occurring in our house for the last couple of years. We have seven indoor cats and the rule is no one gets fed until every cat is accounted for. Once we didn't notice our Lilliput was missing at dinner and she wound up spending the better part of 24 hours locked in a closet. As a result; the accounted for rule.

The first time the "strangeness" occurred was a night of torrential rain. We were all shut up for the night, doors locked, garage doors closed. We had just completed our head count and started dishing up their dinner when we suddenly noticed we were missing Looney Tunes. Now you need to know Looney doesn't miss meals; in fact he'll flat run you over if you get between him and his food.

But now he was gone.

He had just been there pacing and meowing, impatient for dinner.

Then . . . poof. . . gone!

We looked high and low, throughout the house, in all closets, every cabinet, under the beds. An hour passes. Ok, now looking behind sofas, the piano, the frig, washer and dryer, even in the fireplace. Where the hell is he? We started searching through the house again. We even unlocked the back door and searched the garage and storage room even though we knew the doors were locked when he was in the kitchen. The only place left to look was the attic. But how on earth could that be possible? We hadn't been up there and of course the ladder wasn't pulled down. But we had looked everywhere else. The attic is poorly lit so I started out to my car to retrieve my high powered flashlight.

I opened the garage door. . .

And there sat Looney snug up against the garage door frame. . . soaking wet, wide-eyed, trembling, and looking shocked.

We were flabbergasted. How the hell did he get out? Why did he get out? Those are the questions to this day.

And what's worse the same thing has happened to Lilliput and Amy since. Lilliput turned up in the attic and Amy was found in my locked car. It's a head scratcher. We're clueless.

This has only happened during a feeding time after a head count. We have no answers, only questions.

We have decided to be resigned to the fact we have transporting cats!

Strange.

Anyways. . . your turn.

I've lost count of how many times I've locked our cat out of the bedroom at night, only to find her curled up and purring next to me and/or my wife the following morning, with the door still shut. I've resigned myself to the belief that cats go where they want, when they want (to paraphrase Mr. Kipling, who new the truth about cats long before I came along).

My cats do seemingly 'impossible' stuff all the time. Spookiest things I've had happen was when I moved into a haunted house with a lot of poltergeist activity, dishes rising off the shelves and smashing onto the floor, cabinet doors opening and shutting on their own, disembodied voices laughing and shouting, and locked and barred doors suddenly coming free and swinging wide open for no apparent reason. After I moved out, the house (which was very old but well restored) caved in within a few days. Guess it's other inhabitants didn't want anyone else moving in and poking around lol.

My mum was about 14 during the 2nd WW. They had a cellar and the whole family were down there during a bomb blitz over Liverpool. The whole story is so moving that it's actually on a BBC website about the Blitz. But the ghosty bit was just a small part of it.

When they heard the air raid all clear siren, my mum was sent up and out to the back of the house to fill the coal shuttle. They wanted a fire to have what was left of the house warm for when her Grandfather came back from his Air Raid Warden duty.. Standing in their coal store shed was their neighbour. She was just standing, not speaking, not doing anything.

My mum said, "Hiya, Mrs Middleton." The woman didn't reply, and my mum thought she might be in shock as a lot of the road had been demolished. She went back into the house with the coal and her Granddad was just coming in. He said, "The Middletons' house has gone. Mrs Middleton is dead."

When I was growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I spent a LOT of time wandering around in the woods. One time, when I was about 6 years old, I become hopelessly lost with my friend Melanie in the woods behind her house. We wandered around for HOURS and couldn't find our way back home. She was hysterical, and I was trying to keep it together; otherwise, I was sure that we would be out there all night. Then out of no where, a man on an ATV showed up. He pointed us in the right direction of home. We were actually just BARELY off the path. I have no idea why we didn't see it before. He took off, and I took Melanie back to the path and the road.

Except, I was the only one who had seen the man on the ATV. Melanie says he was never there at all, and that I just found the path home by myself. And the more I thought about it, the more I remembered not HEARING the ATV. I didn't hear it approach or leave. It was like a silent ATV, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

So, whoever or whatever that guide was, I'm still thankful for his assistance, but the whole situation gave me the wiggens for many, many years.

I've lost count of how many times I've locked our cat out of the bedroom at night, only to find her curled up and purring next to me and/or my wife the following morning, with the door still shut. I've resigned myself to the belief that cats go where they want, when they want (to paraphrase Mr. Kipling, who new the truth about cats long before I came along).

Cats, go figure. Mine look at me sometimes as if to say,"Poor pitiful human, what you don't know."

My cats do seemingly 'impossible' stuff all the time. Spookiest things I've had happen was when I moved into a haunted house with a lot of poltergeist activity, dishes rising off the shelves and smashing onto the floor, cabinet doors opening and shutting on their own, disembodied voices laughing and shouting, and locked and barred doors suddenly coming free and swinging wide open for no apparent reason. After I moved out, the house (which was very old but well restored) caved in within a few days. Guess it's other inhabitants didn't want anyone else moving in and poking around lol.

Wow! We had poltergeist activity in the house where I grew up, but it's still standing. lol

My mum was about 14 during the 2nd WW. They had a cellar and the whole family were down there during a bomb blitz over Liverpool. The whole story is so moving that it's actually on a BBC website about the Blitz. But the ghosty bit was just a small part of it.

When they heard the air raid all clear siren, my mum was sent up and out to the back of the house to fill the coal shuttle. They wanted a fire to have what was left of the house warm for when her Grandfather came back from his Air Raid Warden duty.. Standing in their coal store shed was their neighbour. She was just standing, not speaking, not doing anything.

My mum said, "Hiya, Mrs Middleton." The woman didn't reply, and my mum thought she might be in shock as a lot of the road had been demolished. She went back into the house with the coal and her Granddad was just coming in. He said, "The Middletons' house has gone. Mrs Middleton is dead."

Oooo shiver.

When I was growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I spent a LOT of time wandering around in the woods. One time, when I was about 6 years old, I become hopelessly lost with my friend Melanie in the woods behind her house. We wandered around for HOURS and couldn't find our way back home. She was hysterical, and I was trying to keep it together; otherwise, I was sure that we would be out there all night. Then out of no where, a man on an ATV showed up. He pointed us in the right direction of home. We were actually just BARELY off the path. I have no idea why we didn't see it before. He took off, and I took Melanie back to the path and the road.

Except, I was the only one who had seen the man on the ATV. Melanie says he was never there at all, and that I just found the path home by myself. And the more I thought about it, the more I remembered not HEARING the ATV. I didn't hear it approach or leave. It was like a silent ATV, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

So, whoever or whatever that guide was, I'm still thankful for his assistance, but the whole situation gave me the wiggens for many, many years.

Okay, there it is . . .full body shiver!!!

Whoa, that is spooky.

I've had something strange happen to me too.

I was about 13/14 and couldn't sleep. After tossing and turning and only having a few winks of sleep here and there, I gave up and decided to go downstairs and watch some television. I sat on the couch for a while, it's one of those corner L-shaped couches and I was sitting at one end. I closed my eyes for a moment, and when I opened them, my Grandad, who I'd never met since he died when I was 1 and only recognising his face from photographs, was sitting on the other end of the couch, lounging with his feet up. My eyes widened, and I didn't blink, and he remained there. He raised his hand and waved at me, with a massive grin on his face, and with another blink he was gone.

Prior to this day I'd suddenly gained interest in my Grandad, and was asking questions, since my Grandmother had shown my the anniversary card he gave her many years before.

My mother told me I was just imagining things, but I like to think he was showing me that even though we didn't know eachother long, he still watched over me.

Imya

Whoa, that is spooky.

I've had something strange happen to me too.

I was about 13/14 and couldn't sleep. After tossing and turning and only having a few winks of sleep here and there, I gave up and decided to go downstairs and watch some television. I sat on the couch for a while, it's one of those corner L-shaped couches and I was sitting at one end. I closed my eyes for a moment, and when I opened them, my Grandad, who I'd never met since he died when I was 1 and only recognising his face from photographs, was sitting on the other end of the couch, lounging with his feet up. My eyes widened, and I didn't blink, and he remained there. He raised his hand and waved at me, with a massive grin on his face, and with another blink he was gone.

Prior to this day I'd suddenly gained interest in my Grandad, and was asking questions, since my Grandmother had shown my the anniversary card he gave her many years before.

My mother told me I was just imagining things, but I like to think he was showing me that even though we didn't know eachother long, he still watched over me.

That one got me too!

Imya, were you afraid when you saw him? Did you ever see him again?

My husband being a cop works a whole lot of nights so I'm used to being home alone with the kids. One night about 4 months after moving into our brand new home I woke up to our Siberian husky going completely crazy. We had two dogs totem the husky and Kia our Pharo hound any way Kia always slept on our bed. She woke up too but never barked once just became very alert. I thought my husband was home early and had stepped on totem so I pull on a bath robe and go down the stairs mean while Kia is acting really strange she's watching really closely but not doing her dads home happy dance more a look of what the hell are you doing stupid human. So instead of going into the den and bathroom where totem was still going crazy I opened the front door to look out for hubby's car. Now Kia has her ears flat and is this very aggressive look going on but still not barking I looked out and realized we where in real trouble. Someone was defiantly in my house but it definitely wasn't my husband. That's when I realized two things. The only phone in the house was in the den and my 2 year old son was a sleep upstairs.

I realized why Kia was so quite for a dog that was never quite before, she didn't want to give my position away because if the guy opened that door I was toast. I told Kia guard my son and flew to our naigbors house and a phone I knew she would never let anyone near my son this was a dog that would stand on the bed and watch him sleep as an infant. I got to the naigbors woke them up and called 911 I could literally hear sirens come on ( 2,500 people town). And threw the phone at my naighbor who couldn't figure out why I had to get back to my house . I ran back and Kia was at the top of the stairs still watching and waiting I said good girl and just as I was reaching for the knob out came my son who had finally been woken by the racket in the bathroom. I had left the front door open and just as I was rushing back out with my son in came a cop I knew really well. That was like a signal for Kia she suddenly was attacking the door to get in it after whoever was in our home.

It took five officers to get the guy out of our bathroom Kia had to be locked in a car because she kept trying to get in after him. When he was finally booked he had bite marks from totem all over him, totem had never let him out of the bathroom he accidentally ended up in because of a odd home design. I loved those dogs so much before but afterwards well spoiled doesn't cover it.

OMG Athena! What a terrifying experience! Your story sent chills through my body and brought tears to my eyes. You experienced one of my worse nightmares. Your dogs are heroes! And kudos to you for being so level-headed and proactive. You know, it's only through trial and tribulation we find out what we're made of. You and your family went through horror but you can take pride in knowing you're a dynamic team!

Dogs like that get bacon for life! :hearts2:

This may not be considered spooky...but it is weird. When I was 8 to 13 my family lived on a farm of 5,000 acres. We planted hay. The home we moved into was an old hotel, circa 1830's. It sounds lovely and nostalgic....but squirrels and raccoons found a way in...and every other living thing. It was a very old home (but I remember it fondly.) Anyway, we had a spare bedroom that had a corner of the room walled off with a small hole in the wood . It was an off sized geometric, not well designed, cornering off too. And when you looked through the little hole, inside this corner was a rocking chair and an ash tray on the floor. Someone had walled off a a rocking chair. It was so weird....no one ever went into that room. We didn't even store things in there, it just stayed empty. (I don't know why my parents never took the wall down...probably too busy farming.) My sister and I used to tease each other that "Mom said you were moving into the rocking chair room".

Nothing really strange ever happened in the house, no odd spirits or anything like that. But, later, when my parents sold the farm, the new owners used the house to store hay barrels. (Sad, but it was really falling apart by then.) In a three month period, three different people died from a heart attack while loading/unloading hay in the house. You could say that it's hard work and taxing on any heart, but the last guy was 26 years old. So who knows.

But I can still vividly see that rocking chair and ash tray and have always wondered, what the hell?

Archived