Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

My beading

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

I'm hoping this will work lol bare with me I'm really new to posting pictures.

Posted Image

So this is a small sample of the type of beading I do, mostly my current favourites like beaded spiders and cuffs.

#2 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Wow,simply stunning.I love the spiders.

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Very Nice!

M

#4 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Really pretty, Athena. I love the spiders, too!!

#5 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Fantastic !

Nice Artwork Jewelry Athena !

Like the colors of the beads

#6 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Beautiful work...

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

omgosh Athena ! How intricate and stunning. Pray tell, what do you do with these 8 legged Bling-Blings..... these Artsy Arachnids ??

Wonderful talent, Athena of the Artsy Arachnids, Weaver of Beaded Bling Blings. What do you do with them, after creation ? ( hint hint )biggrin.gif

Regards,
Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 04 September 2013 - 11:53 PM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Very cool!
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#9 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Your beading is lovely. I especially like the spiders.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#10 Elsbeth OfGreen

Elsbeth OfGreen

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

I really like these. Spiders are great.

#11 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Those bling bling spiders are currently decorating my home along with a couple scorpions and dragonflies and one lonely turkey , I am keeping them for Halloween afterwards I'm undecided lol.

#12 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Ooooo pretty! I can appreciate the work that went in to making those as this is my hobby as well. Very nice work! I love the colors you chose.

#13 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

Love your work, Athena, your spiders and bracelets are gorgeous. You ever make anything more masculine? Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#14 Maypole

Maypole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

That's really lovely!  :thumbsup:

#15 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm dying with love for those spiders Athena! Very very impressive and lovely to behold. I have quite a few (harmless) spiders around the house up in corners and what not helping with the real pests that like to show up from time to time. They honestly give me the wiggins, but I feel I do the same to them so we just stay out of each others way. I do appreciate them on so many levels though and would love to gift them with an item like that as a sort of tribute for all their hard work round the house.

#16 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

I do sell them at our cultural center, they are Cherokee good luck spiders I generally put a good sign on their backs by twisting the wire there a bit although for others in the craft I leave them blank so they can do as they wish. I sell them for 12.00, I would do 10.00 plus shipping if anyone's interested and you can pick from the colors of beads I have.

I have them occupying my home all over the place lol I put them up for Halloween and they sort of just stuck around looking pretty.

#17 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

Oh! That's gorgeous Athena! :)

I actually have a couple of these from several years ago, as well as a scorpion made the same way. I didn't realise they had a Cherokee background, mine were from an English craft market and I (and my Mom) thought how beautiful they were. I'll have to look into that history now that I know it exists. Would a beaded scorpion also have that kind of background, or just the spiders?

#18 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Wow! I absolutely LOVE the spiders! ♥

#19 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

As far as I know just the spiders, they have very different meanings from tribe to tribe though the Cherokee believed they where lucky while the Lakota and Arapaho believed they where tricksters and the Hopi believe they where creators and the Navajo believe they are helpers so it really differs from tribe to tribe. The scorpion doesn't seem to have nearly as much lore in native culture the dragonfly has some interesting things although I can't tell you for sure which tribe it comes from it is very interesting.When a dragonfly lands on you, you will hear excellent news from someone far away from home. A dead dragonfly symbolizes sad news. Dragonfly symbolism crosses and combines with that of the butterfly and change. The dragonfly symbolizes going past self-created illusions that limit our growing and changing. Dragonflies are a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity.

#20 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Super! You and my daughter have a knack with beads for sure. lol love that pretty spider! (and I don't like bugs in general but this one isn't able to bite me so yeah)

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)