Inks & Writing

xerceas

For a long time, I've loved the idea of making inks for writing. Soon, I'm going to start doing it again, as I used to love making black ink for my friends and family back in the day.

So, I was looking on here and didn't find any one discussing this subject. I did a search, no recipes or tips or anything. Sooo... I'll throw some things into this post and discuss my findings when I get to make some of the more complicated inks. I really want to find an Alder, as I live very close to a whopping great big forest called Biston Moss (it's bootiful). Once I have found my very own Alder, I'll see if I can combine the two to make some really powerful inks for spells and such. For now, though... I'll be working on a very basic Lamp Black ink. You can find this recipe pretty much everywhere on the internet, but I tend to add a little something more to the finished product (not just water, I find that creates a very... boring ink.).

Black Ink.

You need:

1/2 tsp Lamb Black.

1 tsp gum arabic

Rose Water (made from DISTILLED water).

I need:

Moar cake.

1. Throw together the lamp soot and gum arabic. Be sure to get a very smooth looking paste, no lumps.

Note: Gum arabic? Only thing you are going to have to buy. I'm big on nature giving me my tools, but I've never found a way to reproduce gum arabic.

Maybe there is a way of finding the two breeds of Acacia tree, but it's easier to shell out the money. Alas, if you are like me and really want to keep everything

homemade, look into Dextrine. Here is a good link, http://sehrgut.co.uk/sca/ink.php. I've looked into it, and might try it later. I'll post my findings. ^__^

Note: Lamp black can be bought, but it's easily made. Hover a spoon over a flame, and collect the black film that forms on the bottom of it. Alternatively, burn some wood for an amazing boost (I like to keep it to the fire woods, but I'm a fire lover), or you can burn some paper. Make sure the wood or paper has burned completely, leaving just ashes. This is lamp soot, I find it's a good and easy substitution.

2. Add the rose water, drop by drop if needed. Be sure to not make it too thin, you want the consistency of milk. Remember, you can't remove water, but you can always add more.

This ink will never fade, I've still got a piece of work I did for a friend from years ago, and it's no different than my school work done in normal pen from the same time.

Hope this helps, and I'll add some other ways to make ink when I've tried them.

I made one similar to this recently, but since lamp soot isn't something I have in abundance around here lol I used activated charcoal along with menstrual blood for the color.

I'm not sure if there is a recipe about it on this site, but a general "google" of Black Walnut Ink should provide you some ideas as well. Here in Pennsylvania we have black walnuts growing everywhere, and I plan on making ink from the husks this fall (from what I've read, the riper the better).

Loving this! I actually use writing a LOT in my spellcasting. I've made some inks myself, mostly for specific spells. But I'd love to try the recipe you provided.

Any advice how to do something similar and get purple ink? (This isn't something I have any experience of.) I wondered if crushed blueberries would do the trick??

Any advice how to do something similar and get purple ink? (This isn't something I have any experience of.) I wondered if crushed blueberries would do the trick??

Having never made ink before, I would try a similar process with elderberries or another plant that yields a natural purple dye.

It should be fairly easy to make purple ink, but instead of using the above recipe, I'd say trying alcohol or even vinegar would be better. Mainly because it's a natural colorant, and I'm unsure of whether it would go off. I'll actually try it, as it would be nice to have some purple ink and I'm already planning on making a bunch of dragons blood ink (which is red). I could snatch a bunch of berries, since now is the perfect time, and try a few things. ^_^

EDIT: Actually, I'm thinking you could get a purple shade from purple petals from flowers. I'll definitely try that, because berry ink would last a few days and I like my inks to keep.

http://www.pioneerth...aturaldyes.html

Purple ink I haven't made but I have made dyes, this website gives a few ideas for various colours maybe you will find that useful?

Being honest though I tend to make dyes, concentrate them and use a very fine paintbrush for writing, normally I use fountain pens (with normal ink) homemade inks will bugger them sadly.

http://www.pioneerth...aturaldyes.html

Purple ink I haven't made but I have made dyes, this website gives a few ideas for various colours maybe you will find that useful?

Being honest though I tend to make dyes, concentrate them and use a very fine paintbrush for writing, normally I use fountain pens (with normal ink) homemade inks will bugger them sadly.

Thanks for the link!

I'm in the process of making some inks, but unfortunately ran out of gum arabic because I'm stupid. Once my emergency supplies have arrived (i live right next to a cake shop who sell it), I'll post up some pictures and discuss some recipes. Also decided to clear up my basic recipe, as I found my old one really failed compared to what I've made so far. :P

Oh, wow. Great topic! I'm sitting here thinking (with all the things I try to make naturally) why have I never thought to make ink!!??) Duh! Awesome and thanks for the recipe. I see some experimentation in my future! :crystal-gazing:

(Edited for additional content)-

I am reminded that here in the middle of nowhere we have a very high iron content in our water. When mixed with the tannin in tea leaves it turns a deep shade of purple. I have used this as a wood stain with great results. I wonder if a thickening agent would help form a good ink?

Oh, wow. Great topic! I'm sitting here thinking (with all the things I try to make naturally) why have I never thought to make ink!!??) Duh! Awesome and thanks for the recipe. I see some experimentation in my future! :crystal-gazing:

(Edited for additional content)-

I am reminded that here in the middle of nowhere we have a very high iron content in our water. When mixed with the tannin in tea leaves it turns a deep shade of purple. I have used this as a wood stain with great results. I wonder if a thickening agent would help form a good ink?

It certainly would! Tannin and Iron ink is common, I can't remember if people add a gum to it though. xD

Beetroot,blackberry,black mullberry all these and more will make a good purple, if no gum arabic,try egg white as a thicken agent. I have only used dry egg white,but let me know if it works with normal egg white. It istime for oak gall to be found on trees ,these are the old method,as with soot.

A few years ago I had made several attempts at creating quills by hand and the desire just sort of dropped off, but this discussion of ink has piqued my interest again. :) Time for another forest hike to find more feathers! I'm going to experiment with the iron ink and possibly egg- and post back what happens.

if no gum arabic,try egg white as a thicken agent. I have only used dry egg white,but let me know if it works with normal egg white.

We've talked about Pokeberry, but it's in the private section of the forum.

As I mentioned there, I've tried fresh egg white and the ink flaked as it dried. I've never purchased dried egg whites and honestly, would be a little loathe to use them - there must be some sort of artificial preservative in them ....... Aurora, have you checked the ingredient list? If they're pure, I'm off to the store!

Here's the link to the thread where we talked about ink from Pokeweed. The talk about ink is on page two, I believe.

As I mentioned there, I've tried fresh egg white and the ink flaked as it dried. I've never purchased dried egg whites and honestly, would be a little loathe to use them - there must be some sort of artificial preservative in them ....... Aurora, have you checked the ingredient list? If they're pure, I'm off to the store!

MW,

Link does not appear to be valid. I'd like to try this out since Pokeberry grows rampant around my area.

MW,

Link does not appear to be valid. I'd like to try this out since Pokeberry grows rampant around my area.

Oh hells bells. I violated one of my own rules. It's in the private section. Sorry, O. And for everyone else, I've edited that post to take the link out.

Oh hells bells. I violated one of my own rules. It's in the private section. Sorry, O. And for everyone else, I've edited that post to take the link out.

LOL, no worries, MW.

Archived