• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TheWolfWitch

TheWolfWitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Looking through the Divination section, I haven't seen Runes mentioned much. Tarot seems popular, but I, personally, have never really felt too connected to Tarot in general. So I use Runes. I'm still a bit of a beginner, but there is much more of a connection to them for me. Unfortunately, we moved recently, and some of my Runes were lost. I'm looking to make some new ones, but I'm not sure what to make them from.

I was wondering if anyone else uses them?
And if so, do you make your own? What materials do you use?

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I use runes, but not usually for "divination." I did not make my own as I did not know how to work with them and therefore would have had very little success at invoking the runes into any set I made. So I bought a set. They are wristed onto stone chips from a mountain in England (where I was born). I relate to them much better than to the tarot although I have tried to get into the tarot. I am still learning the runes, and it is a fascinating journey.

M

Edited by Michele, 28 August 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#3 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have a set that was made for me by a family member. They are wooden disks that are painted black and gold. I keep them in the box that was made to house them with a bit of mugwort and lavender. They felt very different at first than they do now, but I have worked with them since to bring life in to them. I use them more than my tarot actually. Before I had them though I gathered rocks from the lake by my house and drew the runes on with chalk. You can also use nail polish, which is what I did as a child.

#4 Liathano

Liathano

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I am making runes right now, though it will be a long process since I am as well getting to know them before I carve a rune in the wood. I started with the first (Fehu) 2 months ago, it was a very overwhelming experience. I was intonating the rune, I painted it on my body, I danced the form of the rune, invoked the rune into my body (that was fiery and fierce!) and so on. When I thought I had the connection I was ready to make the rune, carved in in the wood, painted it, sacrificed some blood and anointed it with oil. This way I would like to get to know and then get to life every of my runes.
Sorry for mistakes, I am not a native speaker!

#5 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

I bought a set of bone runes a few years ago, but haven't really gotten into them until this past year. I like the quickness of the process. It's not a matter of choosing from a hundred cards, but from a small bagful of clicking tiles. I love the tactile nature as well. And it's easier to remember the meanings of a few runes than all those tarot cards. Good from ADHD me.

I've had a much better connection with my runes than with the tarot set. I've received warnings about events that have now come true (unfortunately), and have received some advice that turned out to be exactly what I needed.

I was worried initially that I had made a mistake with choosing bone because I was afraid I might have to deal with residual energies from the animal. But I felt a strong connection to them because they were bone.

I have also used runes for spells. I want to create some bindrunes as well.

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#6 TheWolfWitch

TheWolfWitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I do like the rock idea, Whiterose. I have my paints, that's probably what I'd use.

Liathano, I may undertake a process like that when I feel I'm ready. I definitely think it would be worth it. Just, I'm not ready for that yet.

I use mine for more than Divination too. They're wonderful to use for spells, I agree, Abhainn!

Thank you all for your input! It's all definitely helpful and appreciated.

~Brownie

Edited by Brownie, 29 September 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#7 Imya

Imya

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I find tarot too confusing for me! But being a younger witch (18) and still in full time education, money is not something that comes by often, and when it does, I can't really afford to buy anything witchy. So when I decided to try out runes, I decided to make some myself.
It was when I went to visit my grandmothers grave, I decided it would be much more personal touch, and full of her energies if I used the stones on her grave to make some.
I haven't used them yet, but I'm sure when I do it'll be great :)

I'm still quite a novice at deciphering them, so I feel as though I need to learn more about them before I just go in all willy nilly! haha

Imya

#8 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

I do not use runes, however, something from this book (reviewed in another section) may prompt additional ideas.

Runes (Book Review)

#9 Midge

Midge

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I love using runes. I find them much more practical then a lot of divination tools as you can make runes anywhere (from sticks on the ground ect.) I made my own personal runes from clay, black dog hair, oak bark, holly wood, spit and a tad of blood.

Now that may seem over the top to have all that chopped and mixed into clay but each ingredient has its meaning to me;

Dog hair- the animal of Hecate,

Oak Bark- The Tree of Oden and the giver of the runes,

Holly wood- a fruit bearing tree for divination,

Spit- because I can be a wimp to draw enough blood at once and wanted enough of my essence to work with.

blood- to bring life to the runes.

They may seem OTT for many for just some clay runes, but for me, they are the best I have made to date and wouldn't change them for the world....unless I made some better ones of course!  :rofl:

#10 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

I love using runes. I find them much more practical then a lot of divination tools as you can make runes anywhere (from sticks on the ground ect.) I made my own personal runes from clay, black dog hair, oak bark, holly wood, spit and a tad of blood.

Now that may seem over the top to have all that chopped and mixed into clay but each ingredient has its meaning to me;

Dog hair- the animal of Hecate,

Oak Bark- The Tree of Oden and the giver of the runes,

Holly wood- a fruit bearing tree for divination,

Spit- because I can be a wimp to draw enough blood at once and wanted enough of my essence to work with.

blood- to bring life to the runes.

They may seem OTT for many for just some clay runes, but for me, they are the best I have made to date and wouldn't change them for the world....unless I made some better ones of course!  :rofl:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you involve Hecate? Is she your patron goddess?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

If you don't mind me asking, why do you involve Hecate? Is she your patron goddess?

I am also curious and interested in the precedent for a spiritual and mythological connection between hecate and runes.

#12 Deminotus

Deminotus

Advanced Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hecate is a Greek goddess and the runes (Elder Futhark, Younger Futhark) are Germanic. Even the Anglo Saxon runes are considered Danish.  Only see one slight, and i mean slight connection where these currents would cross.

Straight from Wiki:  Historically, the runic alphabet is a derivation of the Old Italic alphabets of antiquity, with the addition of some innovations. Which variant of the Old Italic family in particular gave rise to the runes is uncertain. Suggestions include RaeticEtruscan, or Old Latin as candidates. At the time, all of these scripts had the same angular letter shapes suited for epigraphy, which would become characteristic of the runes.

the actual link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runes

all that glitters isn't gold

#13 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Hecate is a Greek goddess and the runes (Elder Futhark, Younger Futhark) are Germanic.

That is what I thought, but I just was not certain, as I do not work with either.  I was just wondering if a god-form, taken from one culture or timeline, would acknowledge or even recognize workings or divinations, which utilize methods from a different place or time.  Not saying, yes or no, just contemplating the benefits and pitfalls of making such connections. 

Thanks for the info.

#14 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

I use runes, (Elder Futhark)  and to me they seem more subtle than tarot. For divination (which is the use to which I put all oracles), a rune reading takes me more time to unravel. Lately I've been using the "casting method"; just throwing a handful down and reading the stones that land face up- usually there are just a few which are readable because the set I'm using are engraved jade stones and they roll around quite easily. (easier to interpret 2 than 5) .

I think they take practice- like anything else. So I'm trying a daily reading and focusing on both the positive and reverse meanings as they usually land on their sides. :ermm:   I have a flat set too but they don't "feel" as good to me.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#15 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I still want to make runes the way someone told me they used to be made. It doesn't really matter to me wether it's true or not, because it just makes sense to me.
They told me to use a branch from a fruit bearing tree, while it's blossoming. Cut it into small disks, carve in the runes and then use your own blood to drench the runes in.
The branch from a blossoming tree is used because there is a lot of life energy in them at that stage. I just suggest you don't drench the runes in your blood if you don't know what you're doing. Not going to post anything else about using blood here, if anyone really wants to know they will have to send me a message.

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 04 February 2014 - 10:20 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#16 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Greetings All

Runes are great I like runes .. they are also one of the few systems that really hasn't been watered down - tho not for want of trying!

(That Blum book ... makes a great thing to throw at people but not much else!)

I like Pennicks books - but you got winnow out his geomancy and wiccan wlshes.

Also wierdly enough Bettina someone or other did a good one.

She is not generally on my list for many things BUT her rune book is ... surprisingly good.

I have used wooden ones, bone ones, clay ones, ones I engraved on glass .. mine .. others ... yeah they are great.

Also there are so many different kinds that the info can be huge.

The permutations from Post Etruria through to even the Armanen are legion and each has something useful to show you.

I also find they are happy enough to give more info on other systems which is sometimes really useful.

My kids are learning their runes at the moment .. from the Elder list and the Hammer .. hmm I'll dig up a pic

Scott

Attached Files

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#17 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Reminds me of Mjolnir....pretty cool. 

#18 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

Greetings WR

*BG* Good for training kids!

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#19 odahviing

odahviing

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

I bought a set of bone runes a few years ago, but haven't really gotten into them until this past year. I like the quickness of the process. It's not a matter of choosing from a hundred cards, but from a small bagful of clicking tiles. I love the tactile nature as well. And it's easier to remember the meanings of a few runes than all those tarot cards. Good from ADHD me.

I've had a much better connection with my runes than with the tarot set. I've received warnings about events that have now come true (unfortunately), and have received some advice that turned out to be exactly what I needed.

I was worried initially that I had made a mistake with choosing bone because I was afraid I might have to deal with residual energies from the animal. But I felt a strong connection to them because they were bone.

I have also used runes for spells. I want to create some bindrunes as well.

For all the rune casters here that have used/use runes made from bone; have you felt any residual energies in your readings?

I've been considering a set that looks nice but unfortunately is only available to me online... So no opportunity so hold them and feel them before purchase. Since I can't make them myself and I don't know anything about the animal, how it lived, how it died, I'm a little worried the bone will carry with it some bad stuff.

Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!

#20 witchywolf

witchywolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

i have a pair of deer antlers, and i was considering making a set of runes out of them, because the antlers were shed out of a natural time of year, not hunted, i think at least that would carry the essence of the animal, but not tainted with its death... 

at the same time i'm slightly hesitant because they're pretty nice antlers and i'd feel slightly guilty to cut into it to make the runes lol :P