Books to hide

sarasuperid

I am in a state of transistion. Kinda like becoming a moth from a catipillar or a toad from a tadpole. In anycase, I have moved into a house with housemates. Its an excellent place, but I am not out as a trad witch--I said I am wiccan to stave off suspicion. To keep undercover I turned all my books with Witch in the title backwards, and realized I only have five or six! Being on a traditional path, so many of my books are lore, herbals, or grimoires with obscure latin titles, that it was easier than I thought it would be to go incognito! So I thought I would ask others. How many of your books have witch boldly displayed in the title? Just a little fun for comparision.

How funny, just had a look at my shelves, the only one that has the word 'Witch' is The Silver Bullet And Other American Witch Stories!

Edited to add: I have a ton of books about witchcraft, they just don't have the word witch on the cover. They're all kept in my locked working room.

I am in a state of transistion. Kinda like becoming a moth from a catipillar or a toad from a tadpole. In anycase, I have moved into a house with housemates. Its an excellent place, but I am not out as a trad witch--I said I am wiccan to stave off suspicion. To keep undercover I turned all my books with Witch in the title backwards, and realized I only have five or six! Being on a traditional path, so many of my books are lore, herbals, or grimoires with obscure latin titles, that it was easier than I thought it would be to go incognito! So I thought I would ask others. How many of your books have witch boldly displayed in the title? Just a little fun for comparision.

Oh good gawd....... too many to list, as my library is fairly old. You're so creative Sara, you could always make beautiful cloth covers for yours, if you have the time and you're concerned with housemates that may be puzzled as to your personal belief system. This is just me, but frankly I don't know what the big deal is, even those of the Wiccan belief system, believe or hold to themselves their convictions of being "Witch". Like you said right off the bat you are in a state of transition, new surroundings, I understand fully well why you wish to remain safe in them. I'm glad to see you back, and posting, I've missed you something fierce ! lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

Guest Morgana Raven

Since moving in with my partner I have no books anywhere. Everything s stored on my iPad and she doesn't go on my iPad. Plus it's password protected ( also passwords to get into apps as well as to view different folders)

Hmm i've just had a look and I only have 2 with "witch" in the title but they are more historical reference books - "Witchcraft in Britain" and "Witchcraft and Demonology". As I have a library I can put all my books out on show, my witchcraft ones are on the shelf with the books on ghosts, superstitions and true crime - so they don't particularly stand out!

Edited by Palemoon

Oh good gawd....... too many to list, as my library is fairly old. You're so creative Sara, you could always make beautiful cloth covers for yours, if you have the time and you're concerned with housemates that may be puzzled as to your personal belief system. This is just me, but frankly I don't know what the big deal is, even those of the Wiccan belief system, believe or hold to themselves their convictions of being "Witch". Like you said right off the bat you are in a state of transition, new surroundings, I understand fully well why you wish to remain safe in them. I'm glad to see you back, and posting, I've missed you something fierce ! lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

I've been around, but lurking. I intend to comment more, now that I am getting settled in. Still a lot of moving and sorting to do yet. I am downsizing 75%! But I have a brighter future. I didn't realize it, but he was holding me back. I can do even more with myself now. And aceive goid things and find a better partner. Anyone know any spells to attract a rich tall sex god of a magicall inclined man? Just kidding, Ialready have tons of spells.

Hi Sara,

What is on my bookshelves for everyone to see, does not include anything with witchcraft in the title. Any of those books are in the drawers of my nightstand beside my bed, or in boxes in my closet. The boxes are not labeled and look boring enough that nobody would ever go snooping around in them. I have young teenagers and I don't want them getting a hold of any information on their own <at least on my watch!> , or before I think they are ready. Any witchy type books on my shelves contain titles that I know would not readily interest them to look further. Plus, those bookshelves are also in my bedroom, and I tend to keep the bedroom door closed. :)

Good luck with your transition and onwards and upwards for ya ;)

I have 9 that I just counted and I think there are a couple of others upstairs. My books are in an antique flat-back cupboard with glass in the doors of the top part in the office which is just off the living room. I don't try to hide them at all.

Raina

Now I'm an adult all my books are up on the shelves and I think only one or two say witch. However I know I am lucky in the UK if someone spots a witchcraft/magic book here it is more treated as that persons bizarre quirk not as something to be bothered by. More likely to get the mickey taken out of you than anyone being shocked.

I have never worried about the titles of books on the shelves. Then again, when I had flatmates, there weren't any really available so I didn't have to concern myself about it! I have books on "witchcraft" and "magic", all with the titles visible but at this point in my life, I really don't give a damn if anyone sees them.

Sara, your turning the titles inward (to me) would invite more curiosity than not, if anyone was truly looking at the titles on your bookshelf. As would making covers for them, and them only. If it's a concern, I'd put 'em on a shelf in the closet or under the bed.

I probably have a few, but the baby is laying in the living room falling asleep and if I walk in there to go look she'll spy me and want me to pick her up, lol (and when she looks at you like that and smiles there's just no way in bloody hell you can refuse that smile... in an instant it becomes the biggest privilege of your life just for her to turn that gappy smile in your direction). I live alone, so my house is my house and I am who I am in it. When mum's legs worked a bit better and she still drove I'd hide the Krma Sutra and the Lesbaia Sex Book just out of respect for the old lady, lol, but witchy stuff wouldn't make her blush. Anyone else in my house who doesn't like it can get the fuck out of my house, lol... but I do live alone so it is different. But I don't think it's the books that give me away (lots of the "young ones" at work are into goth, vampires, witches, etc, and read stuff all the time)but more the things hanging in windows, the bones, my tons of woods and braided cords, crossed woods hanging on walls, corn "dolls", and bird feet hanging in windows, jars of weird looking (non-supermarket) herbs, drying dead snakes (got gifted two from friends just this week!), antique-look maps on the wall where I'm tracking the lay of the land.

M

Oh, I've got loads that say witch on them. Too lazy to go count. I don't mind it. My bookcase is in the bedroom anyway. I do sometimes wonder what the landlord would think if he came in here.

What is on my bookshelves for everyone to see, does not include anything with witchcraft in the title. Any of those books are in the drawers of my nightstand beside my bed, or in boxes in my closet. The boxes are not labeled and look boring enough that nobody would ever go snooping around in them. I have young teenagers and I don't want them getting a hold of any information on their own <at least on my watch!> , or before I think they are ready. Any witchy type books on my shelves contain titles that I know would not readily interest them to look further. Plus, those bookshelves are also in my bedroom, and I tend to keep the bedroom door closed. :)

Good luck with your transition and onwards and upwards for ya ;)

I could see how certain books could be very dangerous in the hands of a teenager. I have a few grimores that I wouldn't want people reading. I don't even use them but you know how people get you have a very old looking book that contains something on animal sacrifice with demonic signatures and people think your practice it. I usually put my square black cloak on my book shelf when family is over. I still hide some books from friends and I leave the fluffy ones out so they think I'm a Wiccan.

You're so creative Sara, you could always make beautiful cloth covers for yours, if you have the time and you're concerned with housemates that may be puzzled as to your personal belief system.

That's a really good idea. I was also thinking, she could get some covers off of other books and make a switch to obscure those ones better.

That's a really good idea. I was also thinking, she could get some covers off of other books and make a switch to obscure those ones better.

This would be my suggestion as well. Go to the library and ask for book jackets that they are no longer using or buy old, cheap books at yard sales or thrift stores. Romance fiction titles work well in a house full of men, but have to get creative for women.

Conversely, you could read whatever the hell you want. If they have a problem with it, well that is their issue, isn't it? I mean isn't wicca and witch synonymous in new age circles these days anyway? They probably won't even notice.

I am not really concerned about hiding the books, they are in the closet. I was just surprised at how few I had with witch in the title. I found a goddess with a pentacle head homemade sculpture in the garden, I accidently happened upon a safe place to live :-) I won't go on about how dark and ful of conviction I am. But the landlady is probably some stripe of pagan.

It is interesting that I see two or three post where people use Wicca as a Camouflage

hiding their true traditional witchcraft path.

Only because most people's brains tend to catch fire when you try to explain to them that Wicca is a religion and not every witch is a Wiccan. My poor grandmother still doesn't get it. So I do it only to keep things simple.

Couldn't give a monkies who sees mine. They are all on the bookshelf in the living room - though books like The Green Witches Formulery are behind a picture of my daughter, just happens that's where that sits. Thing is its a good book and visitors have commented on it when I've had it out looking things up and don't see the 'witch' bit. "Oh do you know about herbs? I'm thinking of growing some.." etc.

Other titles on show include Treading The Mill - though how many know what it means?

All my other books are all on my iPhone either on my Kindle app or on iBooks - if I had these in print on my bookshelf it would certainly raise some eyebrows lol

I am not really concerned about hiding the books, they are in the closet. I was just surprised at how few I had with witch in the title. I found a goddess with a pentacle head homemade sculpture in the garden, I accidently happened upon a safe place to live :-) I won't go on about how dark and ful of conviction I am. But the landlady is probably some stripe of pagan.

How cool Sara I hope it really works out, I've had my share of sketchy roommates.

That is understandable Panis.

I hope I didn't come off as defensive :vhappywitch: It was a good observation. Wicca can make a good camouflage. Its better people think of me as a harmless fluffy :bunny3: than a :twisted_witch:

How cool Sara I hope it really works out, I've had my share of sketchy roommates.

I hope I didn't come off as defensive :vhappywitch: It was a good observation. Wicca can make a good camouflage. Its better people think of me as a harmless fluffy :bunny3: than a :twisted_witch:

If I say Wiccan, people have an idea what that means and don't keep asking questions. And honestly the general idea is close enough. I am a pagan, I do spells, I am not going to be cursing them (I live with them after all, lol), and I run off o hang out with others every weekend. The fine distinction matters between witches and pagans, druids and mages, wiccans and lucifarians, etc. We need to know the difference because the finer details do matter to us.

In the past telling my roommates I am Wiccan at the worst led them to invite some random cute Wiccan girls over and passing them off on me when he realized getting laid wasn't happening. Ha! At the best it meant they picked up cool stuff like bones, stones and herbs for me when they had the chance.

I do like that more of the trad craft books do not have witch in the title, like treading the mill, loved that one! Perhaps the authors also like having a little title variety on their shelves.