Photo
- - - - -

Flying Ointment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#41 frauholda

frauholda

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

I hate to sound like an after school special on drugs but these herbs will lie to you, draw you into a false familiarity and make you feel invincible. The very essence of the baneful herb is intoxicating right down to the plant's spirit . Baneful herbs can be wonderful allies to the witch but only if proper respect is shared between witch and herb or fungi in some cases. If you want to get close to a baneful plant or plants I recommenced caring for them and raising them but most importantly sit down open your mind and listen to them, read everything you can on them and observe them in natural surroundings but for crying out loud don't abuse them.

I love the fact that you brought up the spirit part! Many people forget that while working with herbs you're not only working with their physical bodies, but also their spirits. Excellent post! :clap:

#42 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

anybody that knows anything about dealing with baneful herbs would already know there is no 'safe' dosage for any two people.

I think this sums up why I have never bothered following any recipe at all in this area. From a practical viewpoint, the differences between individual herbs and individual people vary so much that it renders any formal recipe somewhat redundant. I really can't see the point in looking for lists of ingredients or specific dosages. They have no bearing on what any experience will be like for me personally.

Research, now research is different, research is absolutely crucial. Nothing is going anywhere near my mouth (or feet) without me having a good basic knowledge of what it can do to me and what effects it can produce. I do not have a confidently broad working knowledge of herbs, I have a few close favourites with whom I work and which I have researched to my satisfaction. My experience of working with herbs is to start from the bottom up, testing tiny little dosages until I start to find the levels that work right for me. And I want to build a relationship with each plant as an individual before I mix any of them together. I have a complete horror of throwing random ingredients into a mix.

I used to source most of my herbs but this year I have taken the plunge and made a significant time investment into researching and growing my own. I kind of feel it is all part of getting to know the plant. And I'm not sure if I have any business in using a plant that I haven't understood enough to be able to grow. (Though that would sadly mean all my salads would be basil free forever!)

Just my opinion, mind.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#43 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I think this sums up why I have never bothered following any recipe at all in this area. From a practical viewpoint, the differences between individual herbs and individual people vary so much that it renders any formal recipe somewhat redundant. I really can't see the point in looking for lists of ingredients or specific dosages. They have no bearing on what any experience will be like for me personally.

Research, now research is different, research is absolutely crucial. Nothing is going anywhere near my mouth (or feet) without me having a good basic knowledge of what it can do to me and what effects it can produce. I do not have a confidently broad working knowledge of herbs, I have a few close favourites with whom I work and which I have researched to my satisfaction. My experience of working with herbs is to start from the bottom up, testing tiny little dosages until I start to find the levels that work right for me. And I want to build a relationship with each plant as an individual before I mix any of them together. I have a complete horror of throwing random ingredients into a mix.

I used to source most of my herbs but this year I have taken the plunge and made a significant time investment into researching and growing my own. I kind of feel it is all part of getting to know the plant. And I'm not sure if I have any business in using a plant that I haven't understood enough to be able to grow. (Though that would sadly mean all my salads would be basil free forever!)

Just my opinion, mind.

The highlighted sentences resonated with me. I agree with those points and don't think banefuls, and flying ointments especially, are anything to be messed around with for the newbie witch. Sadly, it seems that this is the most alluring topic for the budding herbal witch. I don't choose to use flying ointments because it is against our beliefs on magic and the craft, but also because I am highly sensitive to plant substances and for me a little will have almost double the effect of someone else, even for healing teas.