Photo
- - - - -

Flying Ointment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Just thought I'd share a picture of the flying ointment I made, my first ever. It's a grapeseed/beeswax mix I made up. I haven't tried it yet, time hasn't allowed but I am looking forward to seeing if it has any effect. I didn't go overboard on the entheogens, me being me and a klutz I would probably poison myself. It's an experiment but I am hoping for the best. Came out an odd olive colour but from others I've seen online it appears to be not that unusual.

Attached Files

Edited by Stacey, 03 September 2012 - 08:40 AM.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#2 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

1346661142[/url]' post='132279']
Just thought I'd share a picture of the flying ointment I made, my first ever. It's a grapeseed/beeswax mix I made up. I haven't tried it yet, time hasn't allowed but I am looking forward to seeing if it has any effect. I didn't go overboard on the entheogens, me being me and a klutz I would probably poison myself. It's an experiment but I am hoping for the best. Came out an odd olive colour but from others I've seen online it appears to be not that unusual.

Very cool! Can't wait to find out how it goes for you! Good Luck

Edited by Morgana Raven, 03 September 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#3 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Most of the discussions on this subject are in the member section, rightfully so.

Mods: Can we move this to a section that is not accessible by guests? I don't know where this conversation is going, but it seems extremely irresponsible to have a discussion about flying ointments in front of what could be children.

#4 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

J,

There really isn't a section to move it to where it's not publicly visible; and Stacey & Morgana Raven (who are still seekers) can see it. Therefore, I would caution everyone to watch what they post - no recipes or even list of ingredients, please! If a guest wants to know more about flying ointments, there are plenty of other sites they can turn to.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#5 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

J,

There really isn't a section to move it to where it's not publicly visible; and Stacey & Morgana Raven (who are still seekers) can see it. Therefore, I would caution everyone to watch what they post - no recipes or even list of ingredients, please! If a guest wants to know more about flying ointments, there are plenty of other sites they can turn to.

Thank you for checking.

J

#6 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

1346672424[/url]' post='132287']
Most of the discussions on this subject are in the member section, rightfully so.

Mods: Can we move this to a section that is not accessible by guests? I don't know where this conversation is going, but it seems extremely irresponsible to have a discussion about flying ointments in front of what could be children.

Voted this up! Your completely right and I have revised my post. Thank you Posted Image

#7 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

You can use less dangerous herbs, there are a few posts in the public area about those. Of course always research what you intend to use. Check for sensitivity and allergies, and make sure you have the real deal, not a substitute herb with different properties.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#8 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

1346661142[/url]' post='132279']

I usually use olive oil and my beeswax is quite dark so colouring is quite nice. Do you actually mean grape seed or rapeseed?

#9 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

I'm still a Seeker so this is the only place I can put it, I wasn't intending on listing ingredients, I'm not that irresponsible or stupid.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#10 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

I usually use olive oil and my beeswax is quite dark so colouring is quite nice. Do you actually mean grape seed or rapeseed?

No, I meant grapeseed. It's the oil I mostly use for things that are oil based. It's relatively cheap to buy, things like almond oil are not readily available where I live and if it is, it is quite expensive to buy. I would use Olive oil but I like the scent and texture of grapeseed.

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

I wasn't intending on listing ingredients, I'm not that irresponsible or stupid.
[/color]

Not you that I was worried about :)

#12 Guest_Vala_*

Guest_Vala_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

It's actually a curious thing, most sites refuse to post dosage of plants to be used in a flying ointment but lists of psychotropic plants are readily available...
(Not meaning to criticize the Admin as I'm sure liability is involved as well) but IMO it would be safer for the inexperienced to have access to safe dosages than just "we use X Y and Z" and just throwing together possibly unsafe amounts... =/

#13 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

It's actually a curious thing, most sites refuse to post dosage of plants to be used in a flying ointment but lists of psychotropic plants are readily available...
(Not meaning to criticize the Admin as I'm sure liability is involved as well) but IMO it would be safer for the inexperienced to have access to safe dosages than just "we use X Y and Z" and just throwing together possibly unsafe amounts... =/

Honestly, if someone is stupid enough to just throw together a flying ointment or other dangerous concoction without a proper recipe using a random list of herbs from someone they don't know online then I'm of the opinion that there will be one less stupid person in the world. But....there are teens, kids really, that lurk on this site so I don't see the problem with reserving some things for private. If other sites do certain things great for them.

#14 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Personally I can fully understand not putting ingredients in the open part of the forum, some lurkers may make the ointment as per a recipe and that's one thing but there will always be idiots who will 'adjust' the recipe because the giving one is 'tooweak' or because they are harder in their own minds than we are. The problem is if something happens to that idiot then if a friend or family see the recipe on a website on their browser, it's the website that would be blamed.

There are recipes in books, let the seeker find it themselves not spoon fed from a forum. Find it with the words, take full responsible for yourself.

#15 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Have moved this to the 'Home made and herbal remedies'. A pinned disclaimer has been added to this section so that should cover any problems.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#16 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm all for removing warning labels so that the stupidity problem of general humanity will get a shot in the arm to sorting itself out "naturally" but that's just me... :)

I'm in the process of making a pretty mild flying ointment with mugwort, I won't be the only one using it so I'm going extremely low dose till I see how the other participants react. Stacey I'd be interested to hear how it goes when you try yours if you care to share.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#17 Guest_Vala_*

Guest_Vala_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

Just seems an awful lot like the "teach abstinence, not safe sex" tactic...

#18 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

I generally don't share magical recipes anyway. That's personal. Plenty of places to find a "flying ointment" recipe on the interwebs or in books. I understand the forum's stance on how this is a liability issue, though.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#19 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Just seems an awful lot like the "teach abstinence, not safe sex" tactic...

Its a bad metaphor because the seekers here are all ages. But we talk about "safe sex" in the members area. Just like contraception is taught in eighth or ninth grade rather than second or third grade. Furthermore, this is not a teaching site although there is lots of great information on here. If safe sex is condoms combined with the pill, the safe sex for flying ointment is a drum circle. Crossing the hedge is never safe, there is always risk, and flying ointment is going bareback. So, yeah, "there is a time and place for everything childrem, and thats college...mmmkay?"

:crystal-gazing:

There is a trad witch, a well known one too, who died using these herbs in ritual. And I personally know someone who ended up in the psych ward using some of these things. Extreme caution is called for and extreme respect for the herbs involved. And its wise to keep this area for healing remedies rather than the more serious potions.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#20 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm all for removing warning labels so that the stupidity problem of general humanity will get a shot in the arm to sorting itself out "naturally" but that's just me... :)

Love this!
:beerchug: