• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

I thought of a question in chat tonight and figured I'd start a topic thread.

Do you think the Voodoo religion and Hoodoo practice are more accepted than the practice of Witchcraft? Why or why not?

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#2 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Appalachian Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

being that I have practiced hoodoo, and I am an uninitiated Vodouisant I do serve a couple of Lwas. I have a dear friend who is an initiated priestess in the Yourban faith, and she is currently in her one year of wearing nothing but white, keeping her head shaved and her head wrapped in white fabric. She, obviously, gets really strange looks from people in public when they see a woman dressed in solid white with her head covered in white as well. However, i would assume most of the people do not know why she is dressed this way, and they make their assumptions and judgments and move on.

with all that said though, I will say I think all 3 practices (vodou, hoodoo, and witchcraft) are generally viewed the same way by the general public. And that is that its all either superstition and fake, or its devil worship. I do not think that any one of them is more accepted than the other in mass opinion. Of course, if say someone is Wiccan I think they will find more acceptance than someone who describes their witchcraft as sabbatic, ritualistic, necromantic, etc. Plus the U.S. is still pretty racist so I would think a certain population would deem vodou or hoodoo as worse than european styled witchcraft based solely on the race of the practitioners.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

I thought of a question in chat tonight and figured I'd start a topic thread.

Do you think the Voodoo religion and Hoodoo practice are more accepted than the practice of Witchcraft? Why or why not?

Not at all. The majority of people in the world lump them all into the same category with no interest or analyzation of what differences their might be, because they don't care - "it's all 'devil worship' anyway" is the attitude of the masses.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Aurelian

Aurelian

Thou Dost Protesteth Too Much!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

The non-magical world pretty much thinks we've all fallen off our stones entirely, perhaps slightly less so with straight-up folk magic depending on the area. That's not to say you can't put that perception to good use, you can haha.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#5 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

I borrow a bit of the Hoodoo practice in my path. It wouldn't surprise me if due to the migration of the orginal Ancients who traveled to areas, and brought this type of working Arte, that upon the visit or settling in, subscribe this to the ones living there. We don't know for sure, but I could easilly accept that. Power knows Power, if a Witch incorporates the Energy of something known by another Practitioner, even if it's not concluded as Witchcraft in the true sense, that Energy being a pure thing, shifts and manifests to a Witch for the Witch's experiance, or usage.

I had to laugh abit at Aloe's touch of sarcasm and truth how the ordinary masses lump magic of any kind into one category. So true.

Let them spend their money on entertainment of these folks : David Copperfield and Criss Angel, both are very good at illusion and have honed their skill extremely well. People have paid for these illusionist's lively hood. I wonder how many religiously fundamentalists, ponder their spirituality when opening up their wallets to have the experiance of being entertained ? Or would they turn down free tickets ? lol !

A Witch true to the day to day living experiance of their Path, knows the differences, and that Path, in itself, can be quite entertaining for some. LOL !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#6 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

The non-magical world pretty much thinks we've all fallen off our stones entirely, perhaps slightly less so with straight-up folk magic depending on the area. That's not to say you can't put that perception to good use, you can haha.

I remember saying, "Never piss a witch off." to an asshole. He hasn't spoken to me since -_-. But damn, he was cute.

-Oscar Wilde

#7 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

1344436834[/url]' post='129994']
I remember saying, "Never piss a witch off." to an asshole. He hasn't spoken to me since -_-. But damn, he was cute.

Lmao , isn't that a pity, why are the super cute ones usually dumb as a post.
It is funny how so many people out there lump them all together and don't bother looking into any of it. On the other hand it makes scaring the starch out of them that much easier.

#8 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I agree that in general non-magical folks lump it all together. However within the magical community itself I have seen a lot of fear thrown towards Hoodoo and especially Voodoo. It's all dangerous dark magic, donchaknow. *insert eye roll here*
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#9 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Of course, if say someone is Wiccan I think they will find more acceptance than someone who describes their witchcraft as sabbatic, ritualistic, necromantic, etc. Plus the U.S. is still pretty racist so I would think a certain population would deem vodou or hoodoo as worse than european styled witchcraft based solely on the race of the practitioners.

Oh and this. I think that though all of it is seen as either crazy woo-woo or from the devil there is an extra special place of "heathen savage dark evilness" reserved for the practices of any group that isn't white. Just look at the media, for example. At least witchcraft has been portrayed as fun and interesting (see Charmed, Practical Magic, etc) but how many shows and movies portray either Hoodoo or Voodoo as any of the above? Now how many have shown it as dirty and dark (and not in a good way)?

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#10 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'm not sure of my own response to this, folks. Initially, I thought witchcraft was seen as worse, but I dont have enough evidence to back this. I can agree that Wiccans are generally more accepted above all, which kinda pisses me off but I understand it, i guess.

Hmm.

-Oscar Wilde

#11 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I disagree. Hoodoo and Voodoo are more accepted in some places here down south like New Orleans because it is part of the culture there and part of the whole tourist thing. (Really, how can you think of New Orleans and not think voodoo and hoodoo?) In the north where I come from, wicca and witchcraft were pretty looked down on, but accepted because alot of people practiced up there. I'm pretty sure witchcraft is accepted for the most part in Salem as well lol. Don't forget, wicca is witchcraft to alot of ordinaries, so them its the same kettle of fish just like Aloe said ;) . Throw voodoo in there for notherners and you're a devil worshiper to most. It all depends on the area and the nature of the "masses".

#12 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm not sure of my own response to this, folks. Initially, I thought witchcraft was seen as worse, but I dont have enough evidence to back this. I can agree that Wiccans are generally more accepted above all, which kinda pisses me off but I understand it, i guess.

Hmm.

Well people have no reason to fear something that they percieve as bound by moralistic dogma, so the ones who don't lump it all together tend to think wiccans are just peachy. Rule of three an it harm none and all that jazz... :bored:

However, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in a first world country who doesn't know what a voodoo doll is, whether their perception of it is traditional or hollywood, they tend to get the idea. So the impression of voodoo/hoodoo is "not afraid to take revenge, ever" and unbound power incites fear in those who are unable or unwilling to harness any power for themselves.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#13 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Appalachian Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

I disagree. Hoodoo and Voodoo are more accepted in some places here down south like New Orleans because it is part of the culture there and part of the whole tourist thing. (Really, how can you think of New Orleans and not think voodoo and hoodoo?) In the north where I come from, wicca and witchcraft were pretty looked down on, but accepted because alot of people practiced up there. I'm pretty sure witchcraft is accepted for the most part in Salem as well lol. Don't forget, wicca is witchcraft to alot of ordinaries, so them its the same kettle of fish just like Aloe said ;) . Throw voodoo in there for notherners and you're a devil worshiper to most. It all depends on the area and the nature of the "masses".

Those are just specific locales. We are discussing the world population as a whole (i think, at least).Of course the locals in New Orleans are used to new orleans style voodoo, but ask some of them to go to Haiti and you will see a different reaction. New Orleans style is quite a bit different from how the rest of the vodou world practices it. And that would be the same for Salem, Mass. I have visited there and there are many locals who do not appreciate being known as the Witch City.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#14 Deguwitchrose

Deguwitchrose

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I wonder if the acceptance of Voodoo (vodou..?) is due to the links with Roman Catholicism. The adoption of the Catholic saints in Vodou practitioners as well as the general acceptance that many Catholics in Haiti mix the two
faiths together may have gone a long way toward "legitimising" Vodou in a way that perhaps has not been accepted with Witchcraft.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#15 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

It usually depends on the area. As a whole, however, people will lump it all together in the end. 

I've actually seen some discrimination towards hoodoo and voodoo within the magickal community as well. I remember stumbling upon a comment relating to Wicca where some poor fool was convinced that her path was better than Voudon and the like simply because of her racism. It was very sad. 

#16 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

I've actually seen some discrimination towards hoodoo and voodoo within the magickal community as well. I remember stumbling upon a comment relating to Wicca where some poor fool was convinced that her path was better than Voudon and the like simply because of her racism. It was very sad. 

Funny that you should mention this, as I was talking with someone just the other day about how intolerance, prejudice, and even discrimination, exist within the magical community.  Some new age circles have deluded themselves into thinking that all Traditions are loving and accepting of others.  That is definitely not the case.  I am extremely and yes, sometimes, vocally intolerant of certain behaviors, but like you, I find it sad, when people are ostracized or attacked for their culture, ethnicity, race, gender, age, etc.  I do not believe in the veracity of all Paths and/or the sincerity of those walking certain Paths, but that perspective is born entirely out of my interpretation of certain tenets and behaviors, and has absolutely nothing to do with the demographics characteristics of the practitioners.  I find it very disturbing, when I hear of such things.

#17 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Funny that you should mention this, as I was talking with someone just the other day about how intolerance, prejudice, and even discrimination, exist within the magical community.  Some new age circles have deluded themselves into thinking that all Traditions are loving and accepting of others.  That is definitely not the case.  I am extremely and yes, sometimes, vocally intolerant of certain behaviors, but like you, I find it sad, when people are ostracized or attacked for their culture, ethnicity, race, gender, age, etc.  I do not believe in the veracity of all Paths and/or the sincerity of those walking certain Paths, but that perspective is born entirely out of my interpretation of certain tenets and behaviors, and has absolutely nothing to do with the demographics characteristics of the practitioners.  I find it very disturbing, when I hear of such things.

It is indeed disturbing. However, every orchard has its rotten apples, I suppose.

I'm with you with the intolerance for certain behaviors. New Agers seem to be the most common perpetraitors in these cases, sadly.

#18 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

I've definitely noticed a difference both in and outside of the magical community. I think racism plays a big part in it aside from ignorance. Practitioners of hoodoo or voodoo are seen as "savages" who seek revenge and do crazy things like bite the heads off of chickens. Witches are still seen as goat sacrificing old crones but I don't think the imagery invoked is nearly as bad as it is when it comes to discussing those who practice voodoo or hoodoo.

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

While not generally representative of the entire population, there are actually magical practitioners, who do the things that you've listed above. Now I do not personally know any chickenhead biting people, but I know people who do all that other stuff that you mentioned in your post. In fact, there are threads about those things. Some of that fear is rooted in fact.

#20 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Oh, I definitely get that. I have just met people who have nothing but that image in their head (add some cartoonish black stereotypes in there as well, I'm sure). Wether one preceives any of those practices as truely negative or not is up to the witch!