Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AnjelWolf

A Typical Day's Torture For A Witch

Verbatim report of the first days of torture of a woman accused of witchcraft at Prossneck, Germany, in 1629.

1. The hangman bound the hands, cut her hair, and placed her on the ladder. He threw alcohol over her head and set fire to it so as to burn her hair to the roots.

2. He placed strips of sulphur under her arms and around her back and set fire to them.

3. He tied her hands behind her back and pulled her up to the ceiling.

4. He left her hanging there from three to four hours, while the torturer went to breakfast.

5. On his return, he threw alcohol on her back and set fire to it.

6. He attached very heavy weights on her body and drew her up again to the ceiling. After that he put her back on the ladder and placed a very rough plank full of sharp points against her body.

7. Then he squeezed her thumbs and big toe in the vise, and he trussed her arms with a stick, and in this position kept her hanging about a quarter of an hour, until she would faint away several times.

8. Then he squeezed the calves and the legs in the vise, always alternating the torture with questioning.

9. Then he whipped her with a rawhide whip to cause blood to flow out over her shift.

10. Once again, he placed her thumbs and big toes in the vise, and left her in this agony on the torture stool from 10:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m., while the hangman and the court officials went out to get a bite to eat. In the afternoon a functionary came who disapproved this pitiless procedure. But then they whipped her again in a frightful manner. This concluded the first day of torture. The next day they start all over again, but without pushing things quite as far as the day before.

-Wilhelm Pressel, Hexen and Hexenmeister (1860)

I posted this word per word from one of my rare books "The Encyclopedia Of Witchcraft and Demonology", By Rossell Hope Robbins, Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, Second Printing, 1960, first printing, 1959.

My reason to post this is to share a bit of our history with many who are new here. You see...it does not matter if you come from a family line of witches or come to the craft through way of seeking a different spirituality. Once you accept this path as your own, you then become bonded with our history. These ancestors are now YOUR ancestors. And there will be a time when WE will become someones ancestors as well.

Our traditional witchcraft history is rich and filled with so much knowledge. I guess that's why sometimes when I hear or see someone tossing fairy dust and singing love blessings like some fool at a freak show, I get alittle miffed and roll my eyes.

The ancestors didn't throw Fairy dust and sing love blessings. They used herbs to cure, many were mid wives, or older people who learned things from their ancestors. Many were actual witches who belonged to covens and practised in secret.

I am really not trying to come off as preachy....please do not think or sense that. I just wanted to share a bit of your new history with you :)

This post has been promoted to an article

Good one, I found that really interesting! How some people must have suffered though. I wonder what was classed as sufficient evidence ( I'm sure not a lot) to do that to a witch.

WOW! How horrendous...and the majority of those tortured had nothing to do with witchcraft at all, so sad. The suffering they endured, I really feel for them. To be feared and hated to the point where that kind of treatment was justified - crazy. They dont even treat sick child molesters/murderers like that these days! Maybe they should rather than fill up our prisons and try to rehabilitate the sicko's!!

Guest Hajnalka
Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - Irrelevant
Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - Irrelevant

It makes me sad to think how many people have suffered in the name of one single man, one god, one book, one way...

These ''witches'' were just one in a long line of ''holocausts'' by people calling themselves christians...

from the jews and the muslims in the crusades, to the witches of norther europe, to the native american children - torn from their mothers abused in schools where they were forbidden to speak their language, or practise their religion , to the aboriginies of australia, the maoris, the incas and south american tribes...

all of them have suffered at the hands of people determined to save and convert them and no good has come of it... because of this narrow minded thinking we've lost knowlege and beauty and millions of lives that could have taught us so much... all of them did nothing more than commit the crime of not being christian...

i see the beauty in christianity - but i also see the danger in the line of thinking some of its adherants take ... so much death and suffering yet the answer is so simple - to just acknowledge that ALL PATHS LEAD TO GOD and allow people to reach god in whatever way they please...

when we honor those who have suffered for practising the craft - i think its important to honor and remember ALL those who have suffered and died for practising the old ways - whatever part of the world they come from-i hope one day the world will learn the lesson that so many have sacrificed their lives to teach us...

Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - see comment on post #27
Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - see comment on post #27

to just acknowledge that ALL PATHS LEAD TO GOD and allow people to reach god in whatever way they please...

Hajnalka, please recognize that some of us follow no gods or goddesses. This statement is irrelevant on this forum.

Guest Hajnalka
Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - No reason given
Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - No reason given

I meant only that all spiritual paths are valid.. i didnt neccisarily mean god in the literal sense... i apologise for my bad use of language and for any offense it may have caused to people here... but if some DO follow gods and goddesses then surely the statement is not that irrelevant ?

Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - See comment on post #27
Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - See comment on post #27

but if some DO follow gods and goddesses then surely the statement is not that irrelevant ?

Whether some follow god/esses or not, there are those of us who prefer to keep religion and witchcraft quite separate. Please confine your comments here to the site subject. If you want to talk about religious (or spiritual) paths, I'm sure you can find a site that will suit for that type of conversation.

Guest Hajnalka
Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - No reason given
Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - No reason given

Whether some follow god/esses or not, there are those of us who prefer to keep religion and witchcraft quite separate. Please confine your comments here to the site subject. If you want to talk about religious (or spiritual) paths, I'm sure you can find a site that will suit for that type of conversation.

I will say only that I find your comments uneccisarily harsh.. I WAS talking in the concept of the original post - which you will see if you read the whole of what I wrote rather than taking one line out of context ..

witchcraft IS a spiritual path - as are all religions - and just because i may practise an ''organised '' religion alongside the craft doesnt mean that im some kind of baddy as syou seem to be implying here...

i recognises that this forum is about a specific thing - but if you are going to jump on and sensor such small comments - then i think you risk delving into the kind of spiritual exclusivity practised by so many and that is not a good thing...

if you find my saying that all spiritual paths are valid so insulting or against your own beliefs then i apologise ... i came to this place so i could learn and speak freely - but if you want to chase me away because of one line i wrote then you are succeeding..

i no longer feel welcome here... thank you.

Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - See comment on post #27
Hidden by Mountain Witch, December 23, 2010 - See comment on post #27

I will say only that I find your comments uneccisarily harsh.. I WAS talking in the concept of the original post - which you will see if you read the whole of what I wrote rather than taking one line out of context .. 

witchcraft IS a spiritual path - as are all religions - and just because i may practise an ''organised '' religion alongside the craft doesnt mean that im some kind of baddy as syou seem to be implying here... 

i recognises that this forum is about a specific thing - but if you are going to jump on and sensor such small comments - then i think you risk delving into the kind of spiritual exclusivity practised by so many and that is not a good thing... 

if you find my saying that all spiritual paths are valid so insulting or against your own beliefs then i apologise ... i came to this place so i could learn and speak freely - but if you want to chase me away because of one line i wrote then you are succeeding.. 

Hello Hajnalka,

Ok, Take a deep breath and make sure your sat down ;).. Here goes...

Witchcraft in its rawest state is Not a spirituality-Its just a way to make things happen.

Raw, Blunt, and without any Bullshit.. 

However..

Witchcraft can take on a spiritual dimension and become a spiritual practice, and by spiritual, I mean a path of spiritual improvement and evolution.

When someone cooks a meal, it's rawest function is to keep hunger at bay right?

Just because some people turn a meal into a Mass, dosent mean a meal IS a Mass. 

Likewise, just because some folk turn witchcraft into a spirituality, dosent mean witchcraft IS a spirituality, just that witchcraft can be..  

Traditional witchcraft to many is an exclusively Pagan practice, rooted firmly in the pre-Christian world or going further an Aboriginal practice rooted in the land..one of the aims being to re-learn the ways practiced by our ancestors, through communication and contact with them.

To others though, Traditional witchcraft is, (while acknowledging it's origins) any practice that pre-dates Gerald Gardeners Wicca. Not exclusive to any religion or spirituality. But just a practice, an art if you like.. Or more literally, a craft..

Which brings me onto the point as to why you have recieved what, you percieve, to be a harsh response from Mountain witch.

There is so much emphasis on witchcraft being a Goddess based spirituality that it can really get a TWs back up when sweeping statements regarding Deity are made.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying in your post. I think perhaps adding 'from my perspective' or IMO would prevent any alienation. Your statements 'witchcraft IS a spirituality' and 'All roads lead to God' may hold no truth to many members here, and should not be persumed otherwise. 

There is a place for discussion regarding spirituality on this forum, just not presumptions.. 

If you have read this far, my comment about making sure you are sat down, Is just a bit of banter ;) just making sure.

If you think this place isn't for you then fine.. Just thought I'd offer my perspective.. 

All the best, 

Oakbuchanan    

Posted · Hidden by Tana, August 13, 2011 - See comment on post 27
Hidden by Tana, August 13, 2011 - See comment on post 27

That is the first perceptive thing you have posted.

We will be happy to delete your membership.

Guest loki1980

Wow Anjel... its hard to even imagine such atrocities and hatred. I do have one poem that I like to read to remind me that this hatred did exist.

I don't really think this was written in the 16th century but that's how I have always found it. Never-the-less it still takes my breath away.

the best quote ive ever read, was apperntly said by one of the famous witches who was tortured was this.

after laying down another stone to his fragile body the general asked " how do u plead"?

the man replied " add more wieght".

if this is true, in my opinion is very couragous and makes a very powerful statement..... :)

the best quote ive ever read, was apperntly said by one of the famous witches who was tortured was this.

after laying down another stone to his fragile body the general asked " how do u plead"?

the man replied " add more wieght".

if this is true, in my opinion is very couragous and makes a very powerful statement..... :)

This would have been Giles Corey from the Salem Witch Trials.

http://www.law.umkc....escoreypage.htm

I think those girls all needed a good sound butt whooping. But what's done is done, and they all had to live with knowing their "game" put others to death. That is one thing that is different than a lot of the European witch trials. In the Salem trials, the Protestant church was more reluctant to become involved and several of its members were actually hung for publicly decrying the girls as frauds and spoiled brats. Well spoiled brats is my term but that is the general gist. LOL

Jessica

You people don't like Wiccans and I have good reason not to. You see a very famous Alexandrian Witch (Wiccan) learned what tradition I followed and sent the News of the World Reporters to my home. The person is still alive - but I guess it might not be as comfortable as it used to be. No. I didn't curse her - that would make me as bad as She was.I got a lot of stick from my neighbours and it wasn't until the put a rope over the branch of a tree, planning to hang me, that the police stepped in. They offered me protective custody (and me being trusting) allowed that to happen. When I got into the :Police Station I was arrested for causing a riot. As this was a weekend I had two days to mull over my situation·. On the Monday morning, I went before the court and was bound over for a hearing later in the year. On coming out of the court a Detective said that if I didn't move out of my home within a month they would find class A drugs on my property and I would get a long custodial sentence. So I moved to Newcastle upon Tyne. I left most of my stuff behind and had to find a job then get enough money to move my furniture and things to where I had moved to. Eventually I went back to the Court and was bound over for two years to keep the peace. There was a furore when I refused to take the book and swear on it as I said I didn't believe in that book. So they took my word instead. This was in the 1970's when the News of the World was hammering everyone they saw fit to make them lots of money. I don't think Andy what's his name was around back then, but certainly one of the reporters who is getting hammered now in court was there,back then. I was asked did I want to add anything and make a claim against the News of the World and I just didn't bother to answer the letter. There was no follow-up and I'm glad for that.

Not all witches are equal. Some witches go all out to make themselves seem important and most of them just happen to be Wiccans. foxman

Not all witches are equal. Some witches go all out to make themselves seem important . . .

You don't say?  Mmmm, funny how that works . . . :D

Thank you for sharing this information; I cannot agree more with it. These are our ancestors and when we work with our ancestors we are not only working with those who passed within our life time but with all of our ancestors including these.