Photo
- - - - -

A Typical Day's Torture For A Witch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

It is beautiful no matter what time it was written

#22 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

The ancestors didn't throw Fairy dust and sing love blessings. They used herbs to cure, many were mid wives, or older people who learned things from their ancestors. Many were actual witches who belonged to covens and practised in secret.

Spinney just had a lightbulb moment, infact more of a lightening bolt!
I just did not know how to connect with "the Ancestors" who were they? and twhy would they want my interest anyway, theres me trying to find out family history and getting all lost:brickwall:. And its been here with me all of the time. Now I know what to do :hugs: Thankyou AW for making it so blatantly clear, the witches through the ages are my ancestors my honour will be to their spirits and energies that still live in us.

Many moons ago I 'adopted' an English Witch called Joan Cunny who was hung as a witch in England and I always honour her at Samhain and makes sure she gets a drink. (her accusation started when the neighbours would not give her a drink, never refuse a witch:twisted_witch:)
anyway a really interesting thread. And another bend in Spinneys crooked path.

#23 seekingknowledge

seekingknowledge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

WOnderful thread and really poignant, it's helped me feel closer to the Ancestors...I see things a bit more clearly now on more than an historical interest level...

Thanks ever so much.

SK

#24 musca

musca

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

I, for one, am humbled.
I can by NO way EVER fill the shoes of they who have gone before.
I could most likely NOT endure what they did.
However....
I will continue to learn, and do the best I can at learning The Craft.
I may only, at this moment, be a "One Trick Pony"....

But I AM a Witch.

#25 Anya

Anya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

Wow Anjel... its hard to even imagine such atrocities and hatred. I do have one poem that I like to read to remind me that this hatred did exist.

For all those who died - stripped naked, shaved, shorn.
For all those who screamed in vain to the
Great Goddess, only to have their tongues
ripped out by the root.
For those who were pricked, racked, broken
on the wheel for the sins of their Inquisitors.
For all those whose beauty stirred their
tortures to fury; and for those whose ugliness
did the same.
For all those who were neither ugly nor
beautiful, but only women who would not
submit.
For all those quick fingers, broken in the vice.
For all those soft arms, pulled from their
sockets.
For all those budding breasts, ripped with hot
pincers.
For all those midwives, killed merely for the
sin of delivering man to an imperfect world.
For all those witch-women, my sisters, who
breathed freer as the flames took them, knowing
as they shed their female bodies, the seared flesh
falling like fruit in the flames, that death alone
would cleanse them of the sin for which they
died - the sin of being born a woman who is
more than the sum of her parts.

~Anonymous 16th century

I don't really think this was written in the 16th century but that's how I have always found it. Never-the-less it still takes my breath away.

Imperfect world or imperfect mankind?

#26 Foxfur

Foxfur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:03 AM

Verbatim report of the first days of torture of a woman accused of witchcraft at Prossneck, Germany, in 1629.

1. The hangman bound the hands, cut her hair, and placed her on the ladder. He threw alcohol over her head and set fire to it so as to burn her hair to the roots.

2. He placed strips of sulphur under her arms and around her back and set fire to them.

3. He tied her hands behind her back and pulled her up to the ceiling.

4. He left her hanging there from three to four hours, while the torturer went to breakfast.

5. On his return, he threw alcohol on her back and set fire to it.

6. He attached very heavy weights on her body and drew her up again to the ceiling. After that he put her back on the ladder and placed a very rough plank full of sharp points against her body.

7. Then he squeezed her thumbs and big toe in the vise, and he trussed her arms with a stick, and in this position kept her hanging about a quarter of an hour, until she would faint away several times.

8. Then he squeezed the calves and the legs in the vise, always alternating the torture with questioning.

9. Then he whipped her with a rawhide whip to cause blood to flow out over her shift.

10. Once again, he placed her thumbs and big toes in the vise, and left her in this agony on the torture stool from 10:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m., while the hangman and the court officials went out to get a bite to eat. In the afternoon a functionary came who disapproved this pitiless procedure. But then they whipped her again in a frightful manner. This concluded the first day of torture. The next day they start all over again, but without pushing things quite as far as the day before.

-Wilhelm Pressel, Hexen and Hexenmeister (1860)

I posted this word per word from one of my rare books "The Encyclopedia Of Witchcraft and Demonology", By Rossell Hope Robbins, Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, Second Printing, 1960, first printing, 1959.

My reason to post this is to share a bit of our history with many who are new here. You see...it does not matter if you come from a family line of witches or come to the craft through way of seeking a different spirituality. Once you accept this path as your own, you then become bonded with our history. These ancestors are now YOUR ancestors. And there will be a time when WE will become someones ancestors as well.

Our traditional witchcraft history is rich and filled with so much knowledge. I guess that's why sometimes when I hear or see someone tossing fairy dust and singing love blessings like some fool at a freak show, I get alittle miffed and roll my eyes.

The ancestors didn't throw Fairy dust and sing love blessings. They used herbs to cure, many were mid wives, or older people who learned things from their ancestors. Many were actual witches who belonged to covens and practised in secret.

I am really not trying to come off as preachy....please do not think or sense that. I just wanted to share a bit of your new history with you :)

This post has been promoted to an article

Good one, I found that really interesting! How some people must have suffered though. I wonder what was classed as sufficient evidence ( I'm sure not a lot) to do that to a witch.

G. Lyons { Whomever understands life, will understand me}
{ The person who rejects life as it is, cannot ever understand}

#27 lulubelle

lulubelle

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

WOW! How horrendous...and the majority of those tortured had nothing to do with witchcraft at all, so sad. The suffering they endured, I really feel for them. To be feared and hated to the point where that kind of treatment was justified - crazy. They dont even treat sick child molesters/murderers like that these days! Maybe they should rather than fill up our prisons and try to rehabilitate the sicko's!!

Edited by lulubelle, 22 December 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#28 Guest_loki1980_*

Guest_loki1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Wow Anjel... its hard to even imagine such atrocities and hatred. I do have one poem that I like to read to remind me that this hatred did exist.

I don't really think this was written in the 16th century but that's how I have always found it. Never-the-less it still takes my breath away.

the best quote ive ever read, was apperntly said by one of the famous witches who was tortured was this.
after laying down another stone to his fragile body the general asked " how do u plead"?
the man replied " add more wieght".
if this is true, in my opinion is very couragous and makes a very powerful statement..... :)

#29 JessicaAFM

JessicaAFM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

the best quote ive ever read, was apperntly said by one of the famous witches who was tortured was this.
after laying down another stone to his fragile body the general asked " how do u plead"?
the man replied " add more wieght".
if this is true, in my opinion is very couragous and makes a very powerful statement..... :)

This would have been Giles Corey from the Salem Witch Trials.
http://www.law.umkc....escoreypage.htm

I think those girls all needed a good sound butt whooping. But what's done is done, and they all had to live with knowing their "game" put others to death. That is one thing that is different than a lot of the European witch trials. In the Salem trials, the Protestant church was more reluctant to become involved and several of its members were actually hung for publicly decrying the girls as frauds and spoiled brats. Well spoiled brats is my term but that is the general gist. LOL
Jessica

Edited by JessicaAFM, 24 December 2010 - 08:06 AM.

#30 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

You people don't like Wiccans and I have good reason not to. You see a very famous Alexandrian Witch (Wiccan) learned what tradition I followed and sent the News of the World Reporters to my home. The person is still alive - but I guess it might not be as comfortable as it used to be. No. I didn't curse her - that would make me as bad as She was.I got a lot of stick from my neighbours and it wasn't until the put a rope over the branch of a tree, planning to hang me, that the police stepped in. They offered me protective custody (and me being trusting) allowed that to happen. When I got into the :Police Station I was arrested for causing a riot. As this was a weekend I had two days to mull over my situation·. On the Monday morning, I went before the court and was bound over for a hearing later in the year. On coming out of the court a Detective said that if I didn't move out of my home within a month they would find class A drugs on my property and I would get a long custodial sentence. So I moved to Newcastle upon Tyne. I left most of my stuff behind and had to find a job then get enough money to move my furniture and things to where I had moved to. Eventually I went back to the Court and was bound over for two years to keep the peace. There was a furore when I refused to take the book and swear on it as I said I didn't believe in that book. So they took my word instead. This was in the 1970's when the News of the World was hammering everyone they saw fit to make them lots of money. I don't think Andy what's his name was around back then, but certainly one of the reporters who is getting hammered now in court was there,back then. I was asked did I want to add anything and make a claim against the News of the World and I just didn't bother to answer the letter. There was no follow-up and I'm glad for that.

Not all witches are equal. Some witches go all out to make themselves seem important and most of them just happen to be Wiccans. foxman

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Not all witches are equal. Some witches go all out to make themselves seem important . . .

You don't say?  Mmmm, funny how that works . . . :D

#32 snelson1199

snelson1199

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you for sharing this information; I cannot agree more with it. These are our ancestors and when we work with our ancestors we are not only working with those who passed within our life time but with all of our ancestors including these.
Sandy