• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Rowan Stormsong

Rowan Stormsong

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

Very well stated... I can't tell you how much money I've just thrown away on various books about the Craft! Most indeed were either entirely wiccan or had a definite wiccan twist to them which left me longing for more info regarding true, old fashioned traditional witchcraft. I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this website! I can't wait to just absorb all the info that I can and continue on in my own personal path. :)
http://www.marykay.com/bwalker72

#62 Guest_Alayna_*

Guest_Alayna_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Sandy and Brian,

I just wanted to take a quick moment to say thank you for giving me the opportunity to be here on this site. I'm totally hooked! I've met so many knowledgable, wise, funny, kind and down to earth Witches here...it is truly like no other site I have ever been on. There is no feeling of worrying that I might say something off colored or something being taken out of context and made to be something it is not....everyone who I have had the pleasure in chatting with has been wonderful, and whether or not they wanted to teach, I've learned from them, and continue to do so, and for this, they have not only my thanks but my respect. I know trying to teach or showing the way to someone is not always an easy task, but those who been contributed their knowledge have been most gracious.

Thank you again,
Alayna

#63 morganeuse

morganeuse

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

This is interesting, because my personal tradition doesn't come from Britain. My family is Romani, in other words, Gypsy people who originated from India (yes, Gypsy is an ethnic group, not a lifestyle choice!). The other side of my family is French and also very entrenched in traditions of magic and witchcraft.

I'm really pleased to have found somewhere without all the fluffy crap. And I'm looking forward to learning about British traditions and sharing some of my own. :)

#64 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Thought I would add a bit more to this topic.

This website is fantastic. I love it! :chakrahearts: Like lots of others have said I have seen another website like it. It has a lovely natural organic feel. You see people talking about themselves in a real down to earth way and discussing witchcraft in exactly the same way. It is very refreshing and I never bore of the conversations here.

I have learnt so much in being here. Being able to go back to the bare roots of witchcraft is very exciting and it's great to able to share this with like minded people

I also feel like I can give a real opinion here and people will listen and take it on board, doesnt been I won't get a sharp or biting reply but they are usually honest and to the point.

#65 Guest_Chatters_*

Guest_Chatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Perfectly put Sandy. This site is not only a bridge its also a home for solitaries like me. I never felt comfortable anywhere before because I drew my knowledge from so many directions, I didn't fit in anywhere until now. Theres not too many forums that would accept a witch who sucked at wiccan rites, had green witch & hedgewitch tendencies, used angelic magic frequently, loved voodoo but was scared shitless of snakes and who had a twisted sense of humor like me.

People on the path are searching for exactly what I have seen the older members of this forum provide. Guidence, advice, basic training and someone telling them its okay not to hide.

You sound a bit like me :vhappywitch: I'm a solitaire too, love folk magic - Irish/British but also love hoodoo. I have green witch / hedge witch tendencies, work with my ancestors and I have angel cards so as you can imagine i have a belief in angels but I also lean towards paganism - mmmm a bit of a mix but as I keep telling people I have a bit of a split personality

This site has been great for me as guidance and advice. The best advice I have had on this site and have heard given to others is learning and following your own path, feeling your way, following your instincts

#66 Guest_EelKat_*

Guest_EelKat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

{{{huggies}}} Thank you for this site! I'll probably be more of a lurker than a poster most days, but I've been reading/lurking on several witch forums for the past few years and never joined them because they were so VERY pro-Wicca as though Wicca was the one-true and ONLY magic path. At first I had tried joining a couple and posting, but they'd just attack like wolves and say I was practicing that "evil black magic" and did not belong there. :( Quite frustrating. I only just found this site this morning, and have been reading a few threads the past couple of hours and, wow - it's different from the other forums out there, so I decided to join. Thanks again!

#67 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

I, too, want to say thank you for having me on this site. I really love it. I was surprised to find that I am still a member after not being able to come here for so long because of schedule, health and so forth. This community is like a breath of fresh air, full of wisdom, information and interesting tid-bits..

I'm also one of those rather disillusioned Wiccans striving to learn all I can about Traditional Witchcraft. I was born in Yorkshire, England near Whitby (but living in Canada, now)and love the old folk ways as well as the old traditional Celtic ways. Thank you again for this great site. I hope you don't mind but I might not be posting too much until I feel I know enough to contribute but I'll be here almost every day reading, learning and "doing my homework".

Raina

#68 Guest_justme_*

Guest_justme_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I truly enjoyed reading this post this morning.

As someone who has not had access to discussing witchcraft with anyone prior to being here, I have found it a wealth of information and my witchy energy has been expanding by leaps and bounds.

I have had to completely develop my path on my own without any assistance so yes, I understand that perhaps some of the language I use to try and express my beliefs may not be in line with whatever one else uses.

And yes, not coming from a family of witches I haven't been taught a certain path so I have explored lots of different paths because they caught my attention and seemed interesting. Many of my experiences have formed who I am today and I am very grounded in that because it is my own experience that has taught me - it has been tried and true for me.

I do want to be tolerant and patient with people and not just judge them for being different because in my mind when I do this, I shut off what they may have to teach me and I believe there is something to be learned from everyone.

Just my thoughts but lots of good input on this thread.

Laura

(excited to see moths on her back door this morning for the first time this year!)

#69 AuroraFenris9

AuroraFenris9

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

I bloody loved the 'cockmuppets' reference. That has made me feel more 'at home' than any other post on here haha! I'm not exactly 'new', I've been a member for over a year now but my computer went down and I haven't had internet for ages. A lot has happened since I was last here, but one thing hasn't changed. The warm welcome from Sandy and Brian, and the interesting debates between members of the site. I know that we all can't get on with everybody, all of the time but most of the posts I've read have indicated intelligence and thoughtfulness, which I appreciate. I hope to learn from those who have practised the Cunning Craft for longer that I have (and might even be able to teach something to those less experienced than me). I hope to spend more time on here now that my internet is up and working again, and look forward to meeting and having discussions with like-minded individuals!

#70 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I have been on Traditional Witchcraft sites before (specifically Yahoo) and a couple of other ones in England.  Some have a problem with putting your own view or Perception forward. some don't like you to say your hereditary or that you have a tradition going back three hundred years or so - even if you can prove it! Some American Traditional Witchcraft sites don't follow the sites either I know or some of my American friends know and I've been online  on the net since Amstrad (Lord Allan Sugar) brought out the 1512 Computer - which was my first home computer, before that I used a Big Blue from IBM. I've worked in the computer industry since 1969, specifically, Plessey PLC which made equipment for British Telecom. I left that firm for International Computers since I was on a roll and getting far better money than when I was a Decorator. I had originally joined Plessey because there was no work in the Winter for Decorators (as it was pretty seasonal), and I got trained and liked what I was doing and the wages I got where a lot more than I got as a humble decorator.

I really don't know what the problem of being a family tradition is. I got into it by the skin of my teeth. I very nearly missed out on it because of my parents early demise. If I hadn't visited my Uncle and Aunntie in Delamere, Cheshire, I would not now have been a witch. Everything changed for me from a different perspective, from a different awareness of what lies outside of our frail bodies to the interplay of extremely strong elemental forces - which can be controlled up to a point - but no further. If a cataclysm was to occur it only needed one of the four elements to initiate it. We've had a deluge in the form of a Great Flood several times. Fire - the element that was courting our planet, Earth, when it began its existence in the known universe and which eventually started life when comets landed on Earth and brought water with it to start the life cycle together with air. Some of us (other family traditions) don't believe in a God and Goddess, they are quite clear how they viwew Magic in relation to our use of it. Like the elements of Earth Air Fire and Water, it (Magic) can be used and manipulated - so long as you give back some of your power in some way. I'm not about to sit in judgement how other witches do this, suffice to say that we all learn different ways of doing things with the materials around us - for our own comfort and meaning of Life (which is not 42)! This site seems to promise to me to be one of the best sites thus far that I have been on, but its early days yet and you have to learn first hand what you've taken on - by allowing me to be a member, just as I have with you. Hopefully, we will learn together and make this place and me a better person than I was before. I am not conceited - at least I don't think I am. I try to put myself out for people and help them, but sometimes people can be absolute rotters and try to bite your arm off when you offer them a helping hand! So I am careful. Please allow for this. My Father's brother-in-law saw it as a means to show me who was boss, when it came to layying down the law (as he was a police officer) and when I began smoking at the age of sixteen, I got a good hiding from him with his leather belt whose brass buckle bit into my back and left a deep scar. I told my other uncle in Delamere and he said he would 'fix it' My Auntie used a herbal poultice on the wound. Six months later my uncle Sid (the one who beat me, had a heart attack and was left clinging to life when I left my home for the last time at eighteen. Other than coming back to pick up my Probate stuff left to me by my mother and father in their wills, I've never been back to find out how that side of my family fared. It's been a hard life, but not without its joys and promises of the glimpses I've already seen in this life of what lies beyond...foxman

#71 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

When I was eleven I stayed with my cousin (on my Mother's side of the family) in Flagstaff, Arizona for six months. He was an Astro-Physicist (I think that's the right spelling) and worked at Mount Wilson Observatory. He also had time off and worked on his ranch with Palermino (is that the right spelling?) Horses and a couple of arab stallions he had. The Arab stallions were high-spirited but they had a keen sense of life around them and could hear a Coyote from two miles away. I made friends with some guys who were American Indian (or what people call them today). I certainly don't call them 'hispanic's' which I think is a 'put down' whether people who use the term know it or not. Since my time there in the US of A I've liked their way of life. Most shrug off life with a 'well life happens so what' kind of mentallity when a twister comes by and lifts their roof and plants it fifty miles away. Crater Valley was an eye opener. For those who've never seen it, its a caldera made by a meteorite that hit Earth some thousands of years ago. It was originally thought that it was the one that destroyed the dinosaurs, but now they think it is the meteorite that hit an area just South of Mexico (and covered by the sea now) that was a hundred times larger. There's also a huge hole in the Pacific where something hit aeons ago. One of the theories being advanced at the moment is that some of the material from that 'hit' was jerked out into space and formed the Moon since the Moon rock is the same age as the Earth rocks found in Iceland and Australia (oldest known rocks).

America back then had colour TV before we did. and 'Oh My' the size of their TV's were like huge. My cousin had his in a sort of recess in the wall, which was covered by a Picture when it was not being used. When he switched on, Ken would click the remote and the picture would move upwards silently and the TV would switch on. The only thing I didn't like was Wall-To-Wall TV Adverts they came on with a regularity every ten minutes (Sometimes five minuts on some channels) that made watching "Lassie" or "10,000 leagues Under the Sea" (with Richard Baseheart) a real pain to watch as you lost the continuity, all the damn time!

I notice there are Americans here. I'd just like to say as a new member "Howdy, and Welcome Aboard!" I do hope I am not shoving my welcome too much as a new member here, to Sandy and Brian.foxman

#72 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Morganeuse Hi! Kushty Bok!foxman

#73 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi. Maypole! Did you enter looking like the Horned God in that other group? That would scare the crap out of them, that's for sure! I work with Herbs, Cunning Craft, Conjure, Root-Magic, Spell-craft, make wands, staffs, but not weapons since I don't have a forge. Maybe speak later. foxman.

#74 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I have been on Traditional Witchcraft sites before (specifically Yahoo) and a couple of other ones in England.  Some have a problem with putting your own view or Perception forward. some don't like you to say your hereditary or that you have a tradition going back three hundred years or so - even if you can prove it! 

Generally the issue is not the fact that a witch can trace his/her lineage but the fact that some witches try to use this as a mark of oneupmanship over others and hold out hereditary witchcraft as the only acceptable path to the craft. Understandably this will ruffle feathers. I don't think you'll find that here, some witches on this site are hereditary and some are not. Both tend to be equally respected. The only time I think a problem would be encountered would be if somebody did start throwing around the idea that their family history made them in any way more deserving of the fruits of their path than a witch who has come to her craft without first tracing witchcraft in her family tree. If this were to be the case I would imagine the witches who have worked hard to discern what and who they are and who have developed their craft through their own efforts would be rather annoyed... 

In my opinion a witch is only as good as the magic she works. He/she can have all the witchy ancestors in the world, it counts for nothing if they can't put their money where their mouth is.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#75 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Generally the issue is not the fact that a witch can trace his/her lineage but the fact that some witches try to use this as a mark of oneupmanship over others and hold out hereditary witchcraft as the only acceptable path to the craft. Understandably this will ruffle feathers. I don't think you'll find that here, some witches on this site are hereditary and some are not. Both tend to be equally respected. The only time I think a problem would be encountered would be if somebody did start throwing around the idea that their family history made them in any way more deserving of the fruits of their path than a witch who has come to her craft without first tracing witchcraft in her family tree. If this were to be the case I would imagine the witches who have worked hard to discern what and who they are and who have developed their craft through their own efforts would be rather annoyed... 

In my opinion a witch is only as good as the magic she works. He/she can have all the witchy ancestors in the world, it counts for nothing if they can't put their money where their mouth is.

I love that last part!  You get a vote. 

#76 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Mmmmm, Deguwitchrose and I agree on relatively little ;) , but . . . on this point I will concur.  Got my vote, too, Rose.

#77 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Mmmmm, Deguwitchrose and I agree on relatively little :wink: , but . . . on this point I will concur.  Got my vote, too, Rose.

Lol, yes its fair to say we won't be going hunting together any time soon! But hey, maybe this marks the beginning of something cuddly.... :hugs:

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#78 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

Oh yeah !!!! You got my vote

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda