• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Ok this post is for both old members and new members. This site as most of you know is a Traditional Witch site, however, it is not like other Traditional Witch sites where if you do not conform to their ideas about what IS Traditional Witchcraft you will be shunned or worst still your membership deleted.

TraditionalWitch.net is NOT like that. It is true we do not encourage followers of Wicca to join, however, we ARE here to provide a bridge for those Wiccans who wish to learn more about the old traditional ways and encourage them to expand their minds and go back to their roots.

There are NO books about the Traditional Craft because, yes, it did originate in Britain, however, this was hundreds of years ago and many, many, many folk have since left Britain and took up residence all over the globe - hence British Traditional Witchcraft is NOT only confined to the British Isles. Nothing was ever written down - it was all passed down through word and daily living.

As we know Wicca is prevalent throughout the whole globe and is pushed so much that it will become the next religion. This is fine, I have no problem with Wiccans - at least they embrace esoteric beliefs unlike most of the Christian faiths.

So what is the purpose of this site? Myself and Brian thought long and hard about what we wanted from a website. The top most important thing we agreed upon was respect for other people's beliefs. Too often we have seen individuals get slated because their way of doing things slightly differed from the next mans.

We aimed to provide a worldwide community of Witches and also act as a bridge for those Wiccans who feel there is more to life than the Wiccan way. We have helped MANY people find themselves on this forum. Some have flown to pastures new and have become upset that we are embracing new members who wish to learn but the majority have stuck around and really became a part of a friendly and open minded community.

I do not wish our site to change. We have had MANY new members hungry for information and really interested in what we do. Not only is this great for them to develop and find themselves, it is also good for us who have been following a Traditional Path all our life for it tests our strengths, weaknesses and opens our minds to different views.

I am still on my path. I do not claim to know everything about Traditional Witchcraft, nobody can and anyone who claims to know it all is a liar. Somebody who has recently left quoted to me "I know what Traditional Witchcraft ISN'T", but that got me thinking - if one knew what it ISN'T then surely one should know what it IS. Which is impossible.

We are doing our best on this forum. Admittedly it is not going to suit everyone for not everyone wishes to be a teacher, but in my opinion, once you are comfortable with what you know and live your life to your beliefs, then teaching is the next step to becoming whole. However, this is NOT a teaching site, so please bear that in mind... you can learn alot from being a member here but do not expect other members to teach you anything - the first step on this path is to realise your own self and your own capabilities and doing what you feel is right, not what someone else told you is right.

Thank you to the new members who have joined. You are adding a special ingredient to this site, which NO other Traditional Witch website has and I for one am proud of what myself and Brian have acheived here.

On an end note: Those few who join here and who wish to preach, or whom are women/men/gay/lesbian haters or are just general cockmuppets - you can bet your arse you won't last five minutes. There is a limit to our tolerance.

Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#2 BellaFae

BellaFae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

Thank you for this site! Everyone here is so welcoming and helpful and I have felt loke I can ask questions without being judged for my lack of knowledge. You are most certainly right. I have run across a few other sites, one in particular, that will only allow "pending" membership status. Pending you are fully knowledgeable...no teaching going on there! I felt horribly out of place. I am not fortunate to have Witches in my lineage (that I know of) but I am fortunate to have found you all. Thank you again!!:thanks:
:flyaway:Lauren:flyaway:

#3 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

Well written Sandy :)

Can't add much to what Sandy has said, as you may know we talked this over and what we do and say on the forum and site is a joint effort and reflects the thoughts of both of us.

We're glad to see new members joining and feeling able to ask questions or post topics, you add a great dimension to the site, we learn as much from you as you do from us. If you can learn something and move on that's great, as you walk the 'crooked path' .. a few pointers on the way are good, but ultimately it's your path.

Once again, to echo Sandy's words, Thank you new members, you do add a special ingredient to the site.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#4 Constance

Constance

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

As a newb here, I'd just like to say that one of the best things about this site is the friendly and accepting nature of *everyone.* I've never found such a friendly and open group online before -- love it! Thanks for all of your hard work on the site!
People from the South read a bit more than those from other regions, mostly religious books and romance novels. -- Where you fall in poll of U.S. reading habits, Cnn.com

Spooked: Books to Run From

Getting dirty for soap fairy since 2007.

Mistress of the mystic kangaroo defense method (MKDM).

#5 Guest_Blackeagleclaw_*

Guest_Blackeagleclaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

Ok this post is for both old members and new members. This site as most of you know is a Traditional Witch site, however, it is not like other Traditional Witch sites where if you do not conform to their ideas about what IS Traditional Witchcraft you will be shunned or worst still your membership deleted.

TraditionalWitch.net is NOT like that. It is true we do not encourage followers of Wicca to join, however, we ARE here to provide a bridge for those Wiccans who wish to learn more about the old traditional ways and encourage them to expand their minds and go back to their roots.

There are NO books about the Traditional Craft because, yes, it did originate in Britain, however, this was hundreds of years ago and many, many, many folk have since left Britain and took up residence all over the globe - hence British Traditional Witchcraft is NOT only confined to the British Isles. Nothing was ever written down - it was all passed down through word and daily living.

As we know Wicca is prevalent throughout the whole globe and is pushed so much that it will become the next religion. This is fine, I have no problem with Wiccans - at least they embrace esoteric beliefs unlike most of the Christian faiths.

So what is the purpose of this site? Myself and Brian thought long and hard about what we wanted from a website. The top most important thing we agreed upon was respect for other people's beliefs. Too often we have seen individuals get slated because their way of doing things slightly differed from the next mans.

We aimed to provide a worldwide community of Witches and also act as a bridge for those Wiccans who feel there is more to life than the Wiccan way. We have helped MANY people find themselves on this forum. Some have flown to pastures new and have become upset that we are embracing new members who wish to learn but the majority have stuck around and really became a part of a friendly and open minded community.

I do not wish our site to change. We have had MANY new members hungry for information and really interested in what we do. Not only is this great for them to develop and find themselves, it is also good for us who have been following a Traditional Path all our life for it tests our strengths, weaknesses and opens our minds to different views.

I am still on my path. I do not claim to know everything about Traditional Witchcraft, nobody can and anyone who claims to know it all is a liar. Somebody who has recently left quoted me "I know what Traditional Witchcraft ISN'T", but that got me thinking - if one knew what it ISN'T then surely one should know what it IS. Which is impossible.

We are doing our best on this forum. Admittedly it is not going to suit everyone for not everyone wishes to be a teacher, but in my opinion, once you are comfortable with what you know and live your life to your beliefs, then teaching is the next step to becoming whole.

Thank you to the new members who have joined. You are adding a special ingredient to this site, which NO other Traditional Witch website has and I for one am proud of what myself and Brian have acheived here.

Sandy and Brian,

I am writing in response to this post. First, I am confused by what you are saying here and what you have said in the the post, "Wiccan Witches Please Read." The two post contradict one another. I am only pointing this out so it is not confusing to new members who may still not feel welcome here. If this is what the two of you want okay, but can the two of you try not send mix signal to new members. This is just my opinion.

#6 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

I think they are just being genralized in a way because some of our newer members have arrived from the Wiccan path as well :)

Excelent post Sandy!!! :)

#7 Guest_Dee_*

Guest_Dee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

Perfectly put Sandy. This site is not only a bridge its also a home for solitaries like me. I never felt comfortable anywhere before because I drew my knowledge from so many directions, I didn't fit in anywhere until now. Theres not too many forums that would accept a witch who sucked at wiccan rites, had green witch & hedgewitch tendencies, used angelic magic frequently, loved voodoo but was scared shitless of snakes and who had a twisted sense of humor like me.

People on the path are searching for exactly what I have seen the older members of this forum provide. Guidence, advice, basic training and someone telling them its okay not to hide.

#8 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Sandy and Brian,

I am writing in response to this post. First, I am confused by what you are saying here and what you have said in the the post, "Wiccan Witches Please Read." The two post contradict one another. I am only pointing this out so it is not confusing to new members who may still not feel welcome here. If this is what the two of you want okay, but can the two of you try not send mix signal to new members. This is just my opinion.

Hi Blackeagleclaw

If you read both the posts properly you will see that followers of Wicca are NOT welcome on this website. Period.

However, there are those members who have joined here who were disillusioned with Wicca and were searching for something more traditional. Those people ARE welcome here, they still might not fit in but they are welcome, as long as they leave their Wiccan beliefs behind.

Is that clearer? :rolleyes:

Posted Image
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image

#9 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:31 AM

Perfectly put Sandy. This site is not only a bridge its also a home for solitaries like me. People on the path are searching for exactly what I have seen the older members of this forum provide. Guidence, advice, basic training and someone telling them its okay not to hide.

Yes exactly, as most "witches" out there are Wiccan that is why my posts were mainly directed at them. But yes our door is open to those solitary witches as well. Although our site was not originally intended to be a training site, it is going in that direction and if other members are happy to continue to offer advice and help to those newly on a Traditional Path then so be it. There is NOTHING worse than joining somewhere and having to prove yourself to fit in - that will never happen here.

Posted Image

#10 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Nice thread, thanks. :cool:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#11 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

Yes exactly, as most "witches" out there are Wiccan that is why my posts were mainly directed at them. But yes our door is open to those solitary witches as well. Although our site was not originally intended to be a training site, it is going in that direction and if other members are happy to continue to offer advice and help to those newly on a Traditional Path then so be it. There is NOTHING worse than joining somewhere and having to prove yourself to fit in - that will never happen here.

I would like to send a mixed message here lol. I say mixed cause I want to appolagise to the site for trying to make it what it was not intended, a teaching site. On the other hand I want to thank you and the older members for bending ever so much to allow someone like myself who has no lineage of any witching way to come here with the open heart that I have and try to learn from those that are willing to teach. I do have a strong desire to prove to myself more then anyone that this is where I belong. and that is mainly why I keep so up to date with the goings on around here. with posts nearly everyday. As I read (not only the site but the books that I can get ahold of) I am learning that I am heading down the correct path and that is another grand jesture I put on this site for welcoming me to the family. I hope that I can someday repay the favor by teaching others that will be heading down a similar path that I now travel. I close this out with yet another appolagy and a great big THANK YOU. :lovesign::thanks::wizard:

#12 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

No need to appologise eagleheart75 :)

I think the site was going to open the exchange of knowledge up, it's natural when a group of witches find somewhere they can share ideas.

People take what they can from it and keep what works for them, make it part of their path.

As I said before, we learn a lot from the questions from others, fair exchange in my opinoon and very valuable.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#13 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

absolutely, no need to apologise. Our site is growing by the day and it is the members which mould it and keep it going. The main thing is that it's a friendly and welcoming place (to most) and I think that is paramount.
Posted Image

#14 Twisted_Angel

Twisted_Angel

Guardian, Guide, Goofball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

I may be speaking out of line here (sorry for that if so!) but I see so much more going on here than teaching. (I find teaching to be one of the most noble endeavors ever, but tha's just me! :D)

I see sharing (books, music, spells, rituals, thoughts, huzzah!)
Support - Anjel with her breast lump, folks in unwitchfriendly places, reachouts, digital hugs, which I'm a sucker for!!
Debates - Dark vs Light, methods and madness, how's that work?!
Jesting - In almost every post :)
Teaching - Baby steps to Marathon witches and everyone in between

And most importantly to me:
Freedom - you can walk YOUR path, not someone else's. It's not Wicca, or Satanism or Christianity or any other such path where you must conform to something and it may rub against your grain. Not only can you walk it, the rest of the family is encouraging and helping you along, happy in your successes and steadfast in your struggles...without being cultish and arrogant arses.

Personally, to me this forum is like my second home, or coven if you will. Yes I'm still new here but it just instantly fit comfy, like when you find or create a perfect charm. It doesn't overwhelm you but it makes you happy-smiley and think about EVERYTHING.

Okay, that's my two cents for the night.

Amber

~*~ Twisted Angel ~*~

:rolleyes:

#15 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Thank you Twisted Angel - I think I must be hormonal - your post got me all choked up! LOL
Posted Image

#16 Twisted_Angel

Twisted_Angel

Guardian, Guide, Goofball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

:hugs:Haha, well, not exactly what I was going for but much preferred over 'Are you mental? Shush you!' :D

Amber

~*~ Twisted Angel ~*~

:rolleyes:

#17 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

I may be speaking out of line here (sorry for that if so!) but I see so much more going on here than teaching. (I find teaching to be one of the most noble endeavors ever, but tha's just me! :D)

I see sharing (books, music, spells, rituals, thoughts, huzzah!)
Support - Anjel with her breast lump, folks in unwitchfriendly places, reachouts, digital hugs, which I'm a sucker for!!
Debates - Dark vs Light, methods and madness, how's that work?!
Jesting - In almost every post :)
Teaching - Baby steps to Marathon witches and everyone in between

And most importantly to me:
Freedom - you can walk YOUR path, not someone else's. It's not Wicca, or Satanism or Christianity or any other such path where you must conform to something and it may rub against your grain. Not only can you walk it, the rest of the family is encouraging and helping you along, happy in your successes and steadfast in your struggles...without being cultish and arrogant arses.

Personally, to me this forum is like my second home, or coven if you will. Yes I'm still new here but it just instantly fit comfy, like when you find or create a perfect charm. It doesn't overwhelm you but it makes you happy-smiley and think about EVERYTHING.

Okay, that's my two cents for the night.

Very well put Twisted, I felt the same way which is probably why I come to the library nearly everyday and spend a couple hours just reading posts and responding as I feel I need to add to or laugh at something. haha. but I love this site :lovesign: so far in my first month of memebership, as one might have figured out since I have posted so many times already lol:typing:. I can only imagine how things will double if not tripple for me once I am able to do this from home.

#18 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

I second your post Twisted Angel! Here, here!

The warm welcome I received and the help were amazing. I've never gotten that anywhere else on the net or in the mundane world for that matter. I feel that I won't be judged if I ask a stupid question. As someone who's trying to figure out where she's going, that means so, so much....Now to the library!!
:thanks:

Jaime

:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#19 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

Greetings, All.

This website is unique. It provides more assistance to members than we perhaps realise. Keep up the good work, Sandy and Brian.

Regards
Bill

#20 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

Its one of the best sites I've been a member of :hugs: