The Witch's Cookbook

I got this book not too long ago. Its called the Witch's Cookbook by Gregory Branson-Trent. I will warn you, there is alot of wiccan material in here, but there are also some good recipes that I want to try like Rosehip Wine and Irish Soda bread (my family has a different, more dessert like recipe), black cat cookies and moon cookies. I was just having a flip through it and it has an awesome appendix. The appendix tells you how to use your herbs and spices in cooking, how much of each ingridient you typically need for differernt things, subtitutions, and how to figure out how much of each ingridient you need to serve large quanties of people. Basically, if you don't know how to cook or how to cook artistically this book is a good reference. There are also recipes for 4 theives vinegar (although everyone's apparently is different :( ), different oils, incense, soaps, bath salts....pretty much anything you can craft in a kitchen. Its pretty good if you can look past the frills.

$2.99 for kindle edition

http://www.amazon.co...ch%27s+cookbook

Seems like it might be worth a shot, although I am at the stage right now where I find it hard to get past the Wicca-ness in books. :(

The appendix is really good. You don't normally find that kind of information about cooking in a book. The spells and layout are shit, but the recipes look decent.

• 1 month later...

Update, I just followed your link (I'm a cookbook junkie) and currently the kindle version isn't available :( and for some reason they're priced at (hold your breath) $999.00!

I'm bummed, but hold onto your copy if you love it! Lol I requested it back in kindle format, we'll see if they listen.

I got this book not too long ago. Its called the Witch's Cookbook by Gregory Branson-Trent. I will warn you, there is alot of wiccan material in here, but there are also some good recipes that I want to try like Rosehip Wine and Irish Soda bread (my family has a different, more dessert like recipe), black cat cookies and moon cookies. I was just having a flip through it and it has an awesome appendix. The appendix tells you how to use your herbs and spices in cooking, how much of each ingridient you typically need for differernt things, subtitutions, and how to figure out how much of each ingridient you need to serve large quanties of people. Basically, if you don't know how to cook or how to cook artistically this book is a good reference. There are also recipes for 4 theives vinegar (although everyone's apparently is different :( ), different oils, incense, soaps, bath salts....pretty much anything you can craft in a kitchen. Its pretty good if you can look past the frills.

$2.99 for kindle edition

http://www.amazon.co...ch%27s+cookbook

I would love the recipe for Irish soda bread, if you'd be so generous. I lost mine in a move years back and you'd think with all of my cookbooks, one would not be for a sweet version! Lol

Wow, I just got this a couple months ago. It is most definately NOT worth the $999.99 or better they are selling it for now but the $17.99 I bought it for and the $2.99 it was on kindle. I guess people look at these forums and jack up the price of the crap they are selling if they find good reviews or recommendations.

Here is the Irish soda bread recipe in the book:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, unbleached and enriched

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, stone ground

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Set the baking rack in the center of the oven and place a baking stone, if available on the rack. Preheat oven to 375 F

In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. Mix to incorporate. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk. Mix quickly to incorporate the milk evenly. It may be easier to mis with the hands than a spoon. Form the dough in to a loaf shape and place in a nonstick 8 1/2 x 4 1/2x 2 1/2 loaf pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until well browned and a skewer inserted in the center comes out dry. Remove from the oven and baking pan. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Wow, I just got this a couple months ago. It is most definately NOT worth the $999.99 or better they are selling it for now but the $17.99 I bought it for and the $2.99 it was on kindle. I guess people look at these forums and jack up the price of the crap they are selling if they find good reviews or recommendations.

Here is the Irish soda bread recipe in the book:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, unbleached and enriched

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, stone ground

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Set the baking rack in the center of the oven and place a baking stone, if available on the rack. Preheat oven to 375 F

In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. Mix to incorporate. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk. Mix quickly to incorporate the milk evenly. It may be easier to mis with the hands than a spoon. Form the dough in to a loaf shape and place in a nonstick 8 1/2 x 4 1/2x 2 1/2 loaf pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until well browned and a skewer inserted in the center comes out dry. Remove from the oven and baking pan. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Thanks so much! I'm excited to try it!

Maybe with several of us requesting and bitching they'll bring it back down to earth. I've seen this happen before but it's only when the author dies and there's a limited amount of copies...but never when it was available on kindle! I should have grabbed it when I saw it but I was hesitant because of all the wicca stuff. Ah well, maybe I'll find it in print at a yard sale or thrift shop. I've found so many treasures that way.

• 1 month later...

Since "The Witch's Cookbook" has a crazy price, I went searching for something maybe a bit like it. I have had witch type cookbooks in the past, mostly ones I didn't care much for, but this new one that just arrived a few days ago is going to be a keeper, I think;

"Cooking by Moonlight" A Witch's Guide to Culinary Magic by Karri Anne Allrich.

While it does have an underlying goddess theme throughout <Maybe kinda wiccan-y, because of that, I don't know> , what I like about it is how the author promotes eating and cooking by the seasons, 13 moons, and, most importantly to me, intuitively. She does provide a sample menu for each monthly moon and also goes into what she thinks is the best type of cooking for the waxing moon, full moon, waning moon, and moon dark. The book is inspiring me to take a closer look at cooking & eating while paying close attention to what is going on around me in nature. For some witches, I do believe this sort of thing might come naturally...but for someone like me, who is not a "natural cook" and definitely more of an average cook actually..lol, it helps connect my lifestyle as a witch to the art of cooking and eating. Making that connection between being a witch and cooking with the moon's ebb and flow is actually making the thought of cooking a bit more fun and enjoyable, so far, for me. That, to me, is awesome because I'm always looking for ways to "get into" cooking because I have a family to cook for.

I just bought my copy for 24.00 new, and felt it was worth it. However, I did go back to amazon and I see the cheapest copy is now upwards of $37.50. :(

So, if your interested you might want to grab a copy quick, from what I see, it looks like this one is hard to find.

edited to add: She has another called "Cooking by the Seasons" that you can get for just a few dollars...hmmmm...that one might be of a similar theme..that one is a vegetarian cookbook, I guess though.

Update, I just followed your link (I'm a cookbook junkie) and currently the kindle version isn't available :( and for some reason they're priced at (hold your breath) $999.00!

I'm bummed, but hold onto your copy if you love it! Lol I requested it back in kindle format, we'll see if they listen.

This is very interesting as the publisher is CreateSpace, a subsidiary of Amazon itself. Something must have happened either to the author himself or between Amazon & said author as CreateSpace is print-on-demand and the Kindle format is nearly an automatic event if you sign up with CreateSpace.

Will be keeping an eye on this ... for several reasons!

Since "The Witch's Cookbook" has a crazy price, I went searching for something maybe a bit like it. I have had witch type cookbooks in the past, mostly ones I didn't care much for, but this new one that just arrived a few days ago is going to be a keeper, I think;

"Cooking by Moonlight" A Witch's Guide to Culinary Magic by Karri Anne Allrich.

While it does have an underlying goddess theme throughout <Maybe kinda wiccan-y, because of that, I don't know> , what I like about it is how the author promotes eating and cooking by the seasons, 13 moons, and, most importantly to me, intuitively. She does provide a sample menu for each monthly moon and also goes into what she thinks is the best type of cooking for the waxing moon, full moon, waning moon, and moon dark. The book is inspiring me to take a closer look at cooking & eating while paying close attention to what is going on around me in nature. For some witches, I do believe this sort of thing might come naturally...but for someone like me, who is not a "natural cook" and definitely more of an average cook actually..lol, it helps connect my lifestyle as a witch to the art of cooking and eating. Making that connection between being a witch and cooking with the moon's ebb and flow is actually making the thought of cooking a bit more fun and enjoyable, so far, for me. That, to me, is awesome because I'm always looking for ways to "get into" cooking because I have a family to cook for.

I just bought my copy for 24.00 new, and felt it was worth it. However, I did go back to amazon and I see the cheapest copy is now upwards of $37.50. :(

So, if your interested you might want to grab a copy quick, from what I see, it looks like this one is hard to find.

edited to add: She has another called "Cooking by the Seasons" that you can get for just a few dollars...hmmmm...that one might be of a similar theme..that one is a vegetarian cookbook, I guess though.

Wow you're not kidding. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Moonlight-Witchs-Guide-Culinary/dp/1567180159/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349018619&sr=1-1&keywords=Cooking+by+Moonlight

This kind of stuff is crazy.

This kind of stuff is crazy.

Agreed!!

While I personally think 24.00 for the book is fair <the original list price was $17.95 I believe, so not too bad for a hard to find book that I'll keep>, some of those higher prices....well, I personally wouldn't have paid upwards of $100 or so, for this particular book, like some of those folks are asking. Think I even saw one offering a copy for $500. Yikes!

Don't know if I would have even paid $37.50, to be honest...but to each his own. If someone else wants it and thinks it's worth it...well, I sincerely hope they end up enjoying the book.

Anara, how old is that book? Kari Allrich is now an AMAZING gluten free author, these days. She lives in the desert southwest, I believe (or did), so a lot of her recent recipes call for ingredients that are local and in season for her (and not so much up here in Michigan).

The vegetarian book I have laying around somewhere. Much like all of her recipes I've tried, they're delicious, but very time consuming.

If y'all are interested, I believe if you google gluten free goddess, that's her.

Anara, how old is that book? Kari Allrich is now an AMAZING gluten free author, these days. She lives in the desert southwest, I believe (or did), so a lot of her recent recipes call for ingredients that are local and in season for her (and not so much up here in Michigan).

The vegetarian book I have laying around somewhere. Much like all of her recipes I've tried, they're delicious, but very time consuming.

If y'all are interested, I believe if you google gluten free goddess, that's her.

Hello Daughter of Isis,

Looks like this was published in 2003. My book says it is a first edition, first printing...but I am not sure if there were any other printings or editions...it was published by Llewellyn.

I haven't had the chance to make any of the sample recipes yet, but some of them do look unique to me-others are not so unique. From just paging through the book, a few examples of unique recipes (to me anyway) in here would be one for coconut crab & avocado salad and southwestern pumpkin and crab soup. Nothing in this book looks too complicated or time consuming, I don't think.

There are meat recipes, of course, in the book, but not any using red meat. Mostly chicken, fish, and one turkey recipe that I noticed. Many of the recipes using meat, do offer vegetarian alternatives. At least a few good looking crab dishes in here-I love crab, so I am sure I will be trying every one of those out!

I am thinking that is a typographical error on part of Amazon. They had the new for 999.95 whereas they had the used for 999.99 (why would the used be more expensive?)

Any rate I did a little more research and found that they are selling this book at Barnes and Noble for $16.19

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-witchs-cookbook-gregory-branson-trent/1103585801

• 7 months later...

Giving this thread a quick bump for anyone who likes cooking in general. I found this person's website awhile ago and researched these "Kitchen Grimoire" cookbooks a bit (if you google them, a few of the books' contents are available to read online on google books, so you can see if the recipes included are ones you would like to try). They are basically cookbooks with some witch type stuff peppered throughout. I have seen them online for $110.00 for the set (I, personally, would not have paid that much for these!) on other sites and I've seen some reviews on Amazon where it looks like some folks spent about $50.00...So, anyway, she is not going to publish any more apparently, and the author only has a few sets left. She is selling them for $35.00 for the set and autographing each book. Here is the link if anyone wants to grab a set before they are gone. I just ordered mine :wink: http://bayouwitchinc...hp?cPath=130_90 .

Edited by Anara