Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Charging Objects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

This came up recently in another thread. Assuming that charging is being defined as "giving something energy" (giving or infusing a spell/charm/item energy) I thought it might be interesting to discuss.

Personally I'm not a big charger in the "leave it on a windowsill to be charged by x/y/z" sense. I have some herb-oils that I leave on the back porch to be infused by the sun. On rare occassions I have left things in the moonlight, but not often (then again I'm more of a day worker than a night worker, lol). Charms and spells I don't charge per se. I will collect water from different places and use the waters for their nature, but as they are that nature and they are made part of the charm, I don't then need to leave something out to charge. I may "send" an item via the energy of a specific weather situation (like rage or confusioin I might work during a storm, but that depends on the type of storm). Some items, especially of a spiritul or "connection" usage I will leave in a tree I work with in my hedge. But in making a charm, I don't charge the item.

It may be a matter of definition.. or perhaps just of understanding what people mean by "charge". The gossip-stopping charm I made... the thread was soaked in the invoked herb. The other additions were invoked at the time the charm was woven. So there was no need for me to "charge" it with anything (seeing charge defined as "add energy"). Once invoked the nature of the items invoked were worked into the weaving.

The energy of the moon can be many different things - it can be hoodening when the moon is covered, enlightening/illuminating, attached to sight or hidden, even firghtening to some, comforting to others. So if by "charging" by the moon people mean they are invoking the moon into a charm, what aspect of the moon's usage are they invoking into the charm and does that specific aspect work with the intent of the charm...? Perhaps I am merely getting lost in the words... charging and invoking. I would be interested to see how people define the words "charging" and "invoking" and if they find there is a difference, and also (depending on the difference of defination) why people charge already invoked items. It could just be a matter of my persnal definitions.

M

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

To me, the items or ingredients of my workings already possess an inherent energy or charge, which is why I select them for inclusion in the first place. Working alone or in concert, those objects become the 'battery', so to speak around which I construct the magical working. Using the same analogy, some batteries (i.e. ingredients) are heavy-duty, possessing power sufficient on their own to sustain the working for an extended period. Other batteries are spent fairly quickly and must either be replaced or recharged, as per a method that is befitting the situation. The sun, the moon, flowing water, sacred Earth, personal energy, etc. are all viable options.

To me, invoking is a very different concept than charging, as the previous implies an actual entity, or at least pseudo-self aware and distinct thing, which has the capacity to respond or not to my calling. Entities can be invoked to aid in magical workings. To me, the sun (for example) is not an entity, so it cannot be invoked. It can, however, be used to charge, as it radiates energy. The water which flows in the stream cannot be invoked, as it cannot choose whether or not to apply its energy to some things and not others. It simply does what it does.

Jevne

#3 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hmm... I think I may have different definitions for things.

To me to "charge" is to give my spell item my intent. I see it like making a soup- you have all these different ingredients that taste certain ways and then you stir them all together and add some heat and you have Minestrone or Lentil soup or what have you. But it wasn't that until I mixed it all and added heat. To me that process is charging. So I will make a charm bag, for example, by placing all the items together but it doesn't represent my intent to me until I mix up the energies and add a bit of my own.

Then there is "awakening". I place some items in the sun or moon or water, etc, to "awaken" them. Now this could easily be called charging but I call it awakening because I see it like this- say you have a bunch of rose petals you want to use in a spell. Say you bought these petals from an herbal shop online like Mountain Rose Herbs. Say these petals are new to you vs. being grown and nurtured by you. I feel the want/need to place items like this out in the sun for a while and maybe chant over them or sing to them to wake them up a bit. Because to me, and maybe I am just crazy, items like this are sort of in a sleep state. Not unusable, not broken, just in the need of a little "umph" to get up and going at full capacity again after the process of picking and drying and packaging and shipping, etc etc. Now when I grow herbs myself or find say a stone in nature I don't feel the need to awaken.

And lastly there is "hitching". Essentially everything in nature comes with its own energy- the waning moon, the rising sun, the flowing river, etc. I will have a spell object or working sort of "hitch a ride" on that energy by attaching its energy to that of, for example, the waxing moon. "As the moon grows so does my bank account" or some such thing. In that case I will move the object to be under the moon and maybe take it out under the moon each night or as often as possible until the full moon.

It seems like all of the above could be considered "charging" depending on who you ask, though. These are just some of the terms I use.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

That's interesting.... I always think of "invoke" as pulling a thing "into" the self. I do work with sun rays... light, and I do consider the sun to be a personification (for lack of another word)... like an entity but different. Like I consider the earth living, and the sun as well (granted humans couldn't live on the sun, lol, but to me it is still a living personification) so I suppose technically that would make me think of the sun as an entity, lol, just a very different one. This briings up whether or not personifications are entities. I believe they can be, but it may be connected to specific tradition/s. Like forces... I believe I can invoke a runic force, I believe a rune can be an ally, but would I consider a runic force an "entity"? Thnigs that make you go "hummmmmm" lol...

M

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hmm... I think I may have different definitions for things.

To me to "charge" is to give my spell item my intent. I see it like making a soup- you have all these different ingredients that taste certain ways and then you stir them all together and add some heat and you have Minestrone or Lentil soup or what have you. But it wasn't that until I mixed it all and added heat. To me that process is charging. So I will make a charm bag, for example, by placing all the items together but it doesn't represent my intent to me until I mix up the energies and add a bit of my own.

Then there is "awakening". I place some items in the sun or moon or water, etc, to "awaken" them. Now this could easily be called charging but I call it awakening because I see it like this- say you have a bunch of rose petals you want to use in a spell. Say you bought these petals from an herbal shop online like Mountain Rose Herbs. Say these petals are new to you vs. being grown and nurtured by you. I feel the want/need to place items like this out in the sun for a while and maybe chant over them or sing to them to wake them up a bit. Because to me, and maybe I am just crazy, items like this are sort of in a sleep state. Not unusable, not broken, just in the need of a little "umph" to get up and going at full capacity again after the process of picking and drying and packaging and shipping, etc etc. Now when I grow herbs myself or find say a stone in nature I don't feel the need to awaken.

And lastly there is "hitching". Essentially everything in nature comes with its own energy- the waning moon, the rising sun, the flowing river, etc. I will have a spell object or working sort of "hitch a ride" on that energy by attaching its energy to that of, for example, the waxing moon. "As the moon grows so does my bank account" or some such thing. In that case I will move the object to be under the moon and maybe take it out under the moon each night or as often as possible until the full moon.

It seems like all of the above could be considered "charging" depending on who you ask, though. These are just some of the terms I use.

It is very interesting all our different ways of working! I can see the need to want to stir to life some of the store-bought herbs... they are very different than things "ritually" gathered on one's own.

M

#6 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I've been sat here for a while trying to word this properly and all I can think is 'everything Jevne said'. The need to charge has always confused me a bit. I gather things like herbs, crystals, etc because of the energy that is already in them. The phrase 'charge them with your intent' is stuck in my head from somewhere, which is a slightly different definition that Michelle used. I think it's more important to connect with the energy that's already there and work with it. I would have thought that listening to natural items and working with them is better and more productive. I could be getting confused on definitions.
Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've been sat here for a while trying to word this properly and all I can think is 'everything Jevne said'. The need to charge has always confused me a bit. I gather things like herbs, crystals, etc because of the energy that is already in them. The phrase 'charge them with your intent' is stuck in my head from somewhere, which is a slightly different definition that Michelle used. I think it's more important to connect with the energy that's already there and work with it. I would have thought that listening to natural items and working with them is better and more productive. I could be getting confused on definitions.

I like working with the natural items too... what I call invoking their energy and/or attributes for things which to me then wouldn't need a charge from else-where.

M

#8 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Charging, to me, definitely means "giving something energy". Like any kind of normal battery, I see charging happening in two ways: 1) with our direct involvement, or 2) passively. For example, I could channel my own energy into a candle, bowl of herbs, crystal, etc and that is charging by my direct involvement (mundane example: winding up a wind-up flashlight to charge it). Or, more passively, I could place an object somewhere to be charged by the moon, or sun which doesn't involve me other than placing it somewhere that it can connect to the power supply (mundane example: plugging in a phone charger).

In the other thread I talked about charging and yes, I did mean charging as "giving something energy". As I said there though, that whole thing was new to me so I was trying out new things by leaving the items out to be charged by the moon. Today I don't feel like they've really got very much energy from doing that so I'll be channeling some of my own energy and working with other things to "charge" them a different way. All trial and error :) It isn't a charm though, that was just an example I gave of an object-related-spell. So I don't know if different things would react differently to being charged that way by the moon - more trial and error to come, I'm sure!

As for invoking... The word "invoke" means to call on, summon or appeal to [something] for help or assistance. It doesn't mean pulling things into oneself, so it's never held that meaning for me. To pull something into me I'd probably use the word internalise, or combine, or merge... not sure, something along those lines though. But if invoke has a different meaning for others then I don't think it really matters, as long as people don't get confused then use the word however it suits you best :) As for the actual definitions though, invoke is like the counterpart to revoke - so you would invoke a spirit (or something) to call on it, then revoke (to reverse/cancel/repeal) that request when things are done.

So no, I didn't mean I was invoking the moon last night. I was using the moon like a phone charger - placing the items outside so they can be "connected" to the power source and then leaving them there to build up a charge of energy. It was the first time trying and it didn't work out as well as I'd expected lol but the charging had been my intent :)

Really interesting thread, I love seeing the different responces.

Edited by Aurelia, 04 July 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#9 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Recently, I bought some stones to use. I haven't used stones much, but there was something I wanted to try with them. Most of the information I've read about using them says to cleanse them and then charge them. When I first began thinking about this lately I had the same question. Why would I have to charge a stone when it is believed to already possess a certain energy or cause certain effects? My thoughts were that maybe after cleansing the stone it's good to impart my personal energy to the stone so the stone becomes part of and familiar to me. Also, I agree with the idea that doing some sort of charging helps wake the stone up or helps make it more conscious, if stones can be conscious that is.

#10 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

I know I just put this somewhere recently, but I can't remember where and I will expand on it alittle bit here. Depending on what I am doing I will take the energy/force/spirit of the herb, rock or other thing in my being, mix it with my intent and send this mix "out" from myself to do its thing via one or more of my energy points. Hence the object is charging me. If a charm needs to made for a more long term or larger working, then I do it in reverse. I will speak to the energy/force/spirit in the object and feed my intent in to the object and let the spirit of the thing complete the working. I call it charging just because the is the best term that describes what I do. The first kind of working is for smaller things in my own sphere of influence that I can change quickly with a "blast". The other type of working is for larger things, things that are more vague or have a larger sphere of influence. I think someone used the boat analogy once and this applies here too. The first kind is like turning a jet ski while the second is like turning a cruise ship. The first kind the object is charging me, and the second I am charging the object. Now, I also charge objects that can be used as "batteries" as well. I do this with jewelry alot of the time in case I need a little extra "oomph" for a quick blast in a public setting but I don't need to do it this way, its just energy saving so I don't get drained as quickly. If there is no battery object with me I will pull from other sources too. So for me its not always about the charging of intent, but exchange of energy. Very rarely will I charge something with the moon or sun. Also, I don't really see taking in energy as "invoking" as to me invoking means calling an entity in to onesself and most of the things I work with are not entities in the traditional sense.

#11 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

Recently, I bought some stones to use. I haven't used stones much, but there was something I wanted to try with them. Most of the information I've read about using them says to cleanse them and then charge them. When I first began thinking about this lately I had the same question. Why would I have to charge a stone when it is believed to already possess a certain energy or cause certain effects? My thoughts were that maybe after cleansing the stone it's good to impart my personal energy to the stone so the stone becomes part of and familiar to me. Also, I agree with the idea that doing some sort of charging helps wake the stone up or helps make it more conscious, if stones can be conscious that is.

I don't think of cleansing an object as a clearing away of it's basic nature, but rather clearing away aberrant energies that may have attached itself to the object through other people handling it or it being in a certain place, etc. You clear these attached energies so you can work with what the basic nature of the item is (with crystals and stones, the nature of this basic energy can be quite varied, depending on whose theories you subscribe to, or if you have your own feelings about it).

I guess one can work with the basic energy of the item one is using, but also give it extra oomph through charging through other sources, such as the sun, moon, storm, etc. In some cases, I guess the source used could be neutral in energy, but more often than not it would have it's own characteristics. I think it is best to use something that has an energy in accord with the energy of the object one is using, and in line with the purpose of the working, but then again one's intent can provide the direction the energy is to take, ie. I could use a storm to add oomph to a love spell or I could use it to destroy a relationship. But, I think there is no sense in swimming up stream, and so the more an object or energy source is in line with your intent, then the more powerful and productive one's working would be. I don't think every power source has to be in accord with the nature of the object or one's intent, as one could use blood as a generic power source, with the blood adding power according to one's intent. If one is using spirits or entities to power a spell, then that imo is another story, as work done means payment given.

The above said, one can store energy in an object to be used at a future date to add energy to a particular object. I think in Gemma Gary's book she speaks of gathering the energy of the moon into a knot on a cord, which you could then undue at a later date to add it's power to the working.

I think if one just uses their own energy to power up something, then it would be best if they replenish that energy from some source. If one accesses the source directly for energy/power, then one need not be so concerned with using up their own energy and the need to replenish what they have provided to power the spell.

In using objects as power, I think they need to be replenished every so often if they are something you keep (such as a favourite rock), either by another source or obtaining a new object (such as a plant, for example).

Hope that was confusing and befuddling enough for you all :)

#12 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

I got on youtube today and watched a few videos by healingcrystals.com. They were mostly about the chakras and using stones with them. One of the suggestions they gave for cleansing was running water, so I tried that with a few stones I had stored away for a long time. It seemed to really help. They also said that some stones respond better to the sun, while some prefer no sun. They gave a few other suggestions for cleansing and charging them.

As far as storing energy goes, I haven't really tried that before, although I do have a stone I found while digging the garden. I think it's sandstone. I kept it because it is phallic shaped and I thought that was curious. I use it when I have a lot of energy, when I can't sleep, or when I'm pissed off about something. I hold it in my right hand and focus on it and it seems to pulse after a few minutes. I don't think of it as storing energy though, although after reading what I have today, I might need to cleanse it sometimes.

I think I might collect more stones. I have become interested because I have been having some sort of anxiety attacks recently and I came across a stone called sodalite that I read was sometimes used to aid with stress and anxiety.

#13 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

As far as storing energy goes, I haven't really tried that before, although I do have a stone I found while digging the garden. I think it's sandstone. I kept it because it is phallic shaped and I thought that was curious. I use it when I have a lot of energy, when I can't sleep, or when I'm pissed off about something. I hold it in my right hand and focus on it and it seems to pulse after a few minutes. I don't think of it as storing energy though, although after reading what I have today, I might need to cleanse it sometimes.

I think I might collect more stones. I have become interested because I have been having some sort of anxiety attacks recently and I came across a stone called sodalite that I read was sometimes used to aid with stress and anxiety.

What a coincidence. I like to play with phallic shaped objects to relieve anxiety, too. Small world, isn't it?

#14 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Lol.(sodalite) so funny!! Ahh well. Jevne you bad Witch!, :grin_witch:

Edited by aurora, 05 July 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#15 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

LOL at Jevne. I guess I had that one coming.

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

LOL at Jevne. I guess I had that one coming.

P - all joking aside, lol, stones can be very comforting energy - strong and old and deep. And phallic ones even more so due to their god connections. And depending on the type of stone it can be even more of a comfort... I often sit with my Elders and talk to them or the hagthorns when I am stressed. Just telling them my problems and thoughts helps to ease my mind, and often just getting it out loud in the open helps me to come up with some ideas. Stones are the bones of the earth. They can access much wisdom and knowledge and be very comforting IMO. You've developed a relationship with this stone and possible with what lies behind it. :-)

M

#17 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

I like inviting new Witch dolls (3 from Pendle, one puppet Witch with her Wizard husband) into my home. I have a few, and their presence is felt. I tried to cleanse them, tentatively, whilst being careful not to erase their personality. One of them was donated to me (not a Pendle doll), and she resides in my porch, as her presence freaks me out a bit. I am quite happy to direct her gaze towards the outside of my home, lol, but all other dolls live happily (I hope) with me and my children in our house.

When I acquire them, their presence is felt keenly and they are slightly disturbing and disturbed. Then, after a while, I get used to them and they to me and we are one happy family!
What I am getting at here, is the following: is is possible that I charge these dolls with my own way of being, approach to life, etc. and change them over time? Like when people get married and they adapt to each other? So, we may well be "charging" items unconsciously!

H

Posted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#18 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

I wanted to come back to this thread because i have had my stones for about a month now and have been using them frequently. I have chosen a few to carry with me to work and others to work with at least once a week. For work I carry tigers eye, sodalite and quartz. I figured maybe since I had been using them I might need to do something to remove the icky debris. I cleaned them with sea salt and water. Then I place them, a few at a time, over smoldering juniper. I have a few juniper trees and wanted to try working with it. I feel like I understand the idea of charging the stones a bit more. It seems I have developed a little anxiety, hence the sodalite ( i read it was good for that). I don't really do a ritual or anything, I just hold it in my hand and focus on being calm and centered. I have used several other stones in this way as well. I'm not sure about all the traditional associations, so I have been going by the info. that came with them.

#19 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Jevne rocked my world, and then the rest of you rebalanced it. Then I went and took a bath, and the water helped me discover some new things not being talked about here yet. Thank you everyone! I'm still processing.
Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#20 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Jevne rocked my world, and then the rest of you rebalanced it. Then I went and took a bath, and the water helped me discover some new things not being talked about here yet. Thank you everyone! I'm still processing.

Thank you for the compliment. Chaos and mayhem ... my life's work.