Photo
- - - - -

Saveock Water of Cornwall, England

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

Harold Burnett and the sisters

Digging for more information on the later generations of the Burnett family that lived in Seveock area of Cornwall turns out to be more difficult than I thought it would. Finding the marriages of the children is difficult. Found one son of John Thomas Burnett died in his twenties and possibly a daughter that did too.

But I decided to check google for more clues and one important clue came up on a German Website "Spiegel Online Science" which is in German language. This page was mentioning about the Saveock Water Archeological site.

And in it, it mentioned Harold Burnett and then it mentioned about the nieces the sisters.

In my research Harold Burnett was a grandson of John Thomas Burnett and I have him living with John T. Burnett in the 1901 and 1911 censuses of Green Bottom (less than a mile from Saveock).

The odd thing is the website does mentioned that he died in 1945 but I didn't find any deaths of his except for a couple one I think in the 1980's Redruth area of Cornwall. Also it mentioned that Harold Burnett never married. But there is one or marriages of a Harold Burnett in the area but need to check on them. It could be that he was a widower for a long time.

The article went on to say that the sisters were living in primative conditions. Which probably mean they lived off the land.

Which in turn would explain why no telephone records of them. They probably didn't have one.

Translated into English:
Spielgel Online Science

I believe that Jacqui Wood left the name Harold Burnett off the website because she probably fear them a little. But Germany is far away so they felt okay mentioning his name.

Edited by The Exile, 16 June 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#22 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

Harold Burnett and the sisters

Digging for more information on the later generations of the Burnett family that lived in Seveock area of Cornwall turns out to be more difficult than I thought it would. Finding the marriages of the children is difficult. Found one son of John Thomas Burnett died in his twenties and possibly a daughter that did too.

But I decided to check google for more clues and one important clue came up on a German Website "Spiegel Online Science" which is in German language. This page was mentioning about the Saveock Water Archeological site.

And in it, it mentioned Harold Burnett and then it mentioned about the nieces the sisters.

In my research Harold Burnett was a grandson of John Thomas Burnett and I have him living with John T. Burnett in the 1901 and 1911 censuses of Green Bottom (less than a mile from Saveock).

The odd thing is the website does mentioned that he died in 1945 but I didn't find any deaths of his except for a couple one I think in the 1980's Redruth area of Cornwall. Also it mentioned that Harold Burnett never married. But there is one or marriages of a Harold Burnett in the area but need to check on them. It could be that he was a widower for a long time.

The article went on to say that the sisters were living in primative conditions. Which probably mean they lived off the land.

Which in turn would explain why no telephone records of them. They probably didn't have one.

Translated into English:
Spielgel Online Science

I believe that Jacqui Wood left the name Harold Burnett off the website because she probably fear them a little. But Germany is far away so they felt okay mentioning his name.

Maybe she was sheepish about digging into their business. Well perhaps we should respect their privacy too and if we get to the living relatives names maybe we should handle it by pm and see if my Cornish contact can write or interview them privately to see if they want to be involved. Its a rather niche interest I would think.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#23 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:12 AM

I am loving all of this, but I am not a very good detective of ancestry the way Bill is.
I do think once living relatives become involved private message would be best due to privacy issues, etc.
But my noseyness about this subject is super inticed and wanting to be whetted.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#24 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Yes I agree with Sarasuperid and Ravenflyer concerning the privacy issue of the living generation. Once I locate them I will forward the info to Sara in PM. Just like I did earlier when I got the addresses of all the Burnett living in the area from the 2012 Electoral rolls.

Like in the Monica English history, I left out the names and information on the son of Monica and the son and daughter of Robert English even that I know more about them and have the address of where they live now.

Anyway concerning Harold Burnett "dying" in 1945. Still didn't find any death of him for that year. There is a Harold Burnett that died in his 80's in the Redruth area of Cornwall in the 1980's - 1990's (off my head, got to go back to copy the info).

What made me think that one is relevant is because there was also a granddaughter, May Burnett born ca. 1902, that was living with John Thomas Burnett in the 1911 census (don't know yet if May Burnett was a sister of Harold Burnett or a cousin).

There was a May Burnett that also died in the Redruth area in 1950's of the correct age that would fit being born in 1902.

It could be that Harold Burnett and May Burnett left the place near Seveock to his nieces when he moved to Redruth perhaps in 1945 (rather than dying).

Got to get back sorting out this jumbled puzzle.

#25 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

"The campaign has grounded to a slow pace getting bog down in the mud"

I'm still here, I haven't abandon the ship on the research on the Burnett family.

It is just all the easier to find information has dried up and now got to purchase a copy of a probate document and a couple of certificates to move forward.

I have progress and still copying information on the Burnett family back to the early 1800's when they were living in St. Just in Roseland on the southern edge of Cornwall that is by the sea.

Cornwall is like a two prong fork on the southern part jutting out into the sea. One is the more heard of "Land's End" and the other one is where St. Just is.

While still writing up the earlier Burnetts. The 20th century Burnetts are harder to solve.

Despite checking the marriage indexes and failing to find them in the 1911 census (I have a feeling that maybe Ancestry.com is not finish indexing that censuses - will check on that), the three daughters of John Thomas Burnett are not easy to find where they went to. One may have died in the 1920's.

So I ordered a copy of John Thomas Burnett's Probate record of 1935. Hopefully it may give the married names of the daughters and where they may be living and where Harold was living in at the time.

The websites on the Archaeology dig mentioned Harold Burnett as being childless and perhaps unmarried and dying in 1945.

According to the birth index Harold Burnett birth registration occurred in Oct-Nov-Dec 1898 in Truro registration district. The 1901 and 1911 censuses says Harold was born in Feock.

Feock is in Truro registration district.

There is in the death index a Harold Burnett that died in 1980 at the age of 81 in the Kerrier registration district of Cornwall. It is in southern Cornwall where Land's End's would be included.

The death index gives that man's birth in September 25, 1898. Almost match the birth index entry of Oct-Nov-Dec 1898. Keep in mind that birth index entry would be what quarter the birth WAS REGISTERED. So being born in Sept 25 it is most likely that that his birth wasn't registered until several days later in the beginning of the Oct-Nov-Dec quarter.

So I ordered a copy of the death certificate. In it would say where he was born and if it says Feock (or Kenwyn parish) we got the right person.

Also I noticed a HILDA BURNETT that died in 1991 in Camborne-redruth registration district at the age of 92.

From the Marriage indexes:

There is a Harold Burnett and Hilda Northey that were married in the Apr-May-Jun quarter of 1930 in the Truro registration district (which includes Seveock ), I believe this is our Harold Burnett. I seen Hilda Northey living with her parents in the 1901 and 1911 censuses in Chasewater (about a mile away from Seveock)

So I also ordered a copy of this marriage certificate. On the certificate they always have the father's name of both party. It may be left blank if Harold was from one of John Thomas Burnett's daughters and he doesn't know his father's name. It may list the father as Richard Stuart Darwin Burnett, the only son of John Thomas Burnett who died early in 1908.

Harold Burnett is listed as a grandson in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, he may be born out of wedlock. I may get his birth certificate later.

So this will prove that Harold Burnett didn't die in 1945, more likely LEFT Seveock in 1945.

And that he had a wife. Once these are proven then I can look to see if Harold and Hilda Burnett have any Wills.

Also if it is proven that he was married, then it is possible that the nieces (the sisters) that were living in Saveock could also have been from the wife's side of the family (from the Northey family).

It may take 2 to 4 weeks to get the certificates, and the Probate Will may take a little longer.

Sorry about the long ramblings, but it shows how you have to make strategies when doing roots research to make gains.

Edited by The Exile, 22 June 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#26 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

Let me know if I can pitch in to order any papers you want. My mother got me an ancestry website account. I don't want our little project to be unfairly expensive. I am more than happy to invest :-)
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#27 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

On Friday and Saturday today I recieved the two certificates that I ordered.

And in both case they are for the correct person we seek about.

The 1930 marriage of Harold Burnett and Hilda Northey

1930. Marriage solemnized at St. Mary's Wesleyan Chapel in the District of Truro in the County of Cornwall.

No. 86

When Married. Twenty first June 1930

Name and Surname. / Age. / Condition. / Rank or Profession. / Residence at the time of Marriage. / Father's Name and Surname. / Rank or Profession of Father.

Harold Burnett / 31 years / Bachelor / General Labourer / Greenbottom, Kenwyn / -- (blank) -- / -- (blank) --

Hilda Northey / 31 years / Spinster / -- (blank) -- / Penstraze, Kea / Richard Northey / General Labourer

Married in the above Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Wesleyan Methodists by Certificate

This Marriage was solemnized between us,

Harold Burnett
Hilda Northey

in the Presence of us,

Reginald Williams
Ida May Williams

And in the Presence of E. [J.?] Bennett Richards Authorised Person for the said Chapel

As I suspected in the previous post that Harold Burnett may have been born out of wedlock (living with grandparents as a child), you can see that Harold Burnett's father's name and the father's occupation was left blank on the marriage certificate. He probably didn't know who was the father. Which make it more likely he was born of one of John Thomas Burnett's daughters and left with the grandparents as the daughter left home.

Getting Harold Burnett's birth certificate would probably give us list the mother's name.

I notice that one of the witnesses was a Ida May Williams. Harold Burnett had a sister or cousin named May Burnett (they were listed as grandson and grandaughter of John Thomas Burnett in the 1911 census)

The next post - the death of Harold Burnett and the major crack in the case giving us the name of the living Nephew.

#28 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

The other certificate that I recieved was a copy of the death certificate of Harold Burnett. Before I mentioned that from the index that he died in the Kerrier district in southern Cornwall. But it turns out that was the location of the hospital where he died. He actually lived in the Greenbottom Chacewater area (where Saveock is located).

1980 death of Harold Burnett

Entry No. 64

Registration district -- Kerrier
Sub-district -- Helston
Administrative area -- County of Cornwall

Date and place of death -- Sixteenth April 1980 Meneaye Hospital, Helston

Name and Surname -- Harold Burnett

Sex -- Male

Date and place of birth -- 25th September 1898. Feock Cornwall

Occupation and usual address -- Council Roadman Retired Greenbottom, Chacewater, Truro, Cornwall

Name and Surname of informant -- [ - living, so first and second name removed for privacy - ] Northey

Qualification -- Nephew

Usual address (of informant) -- 1 Kerling Cottage Chacewater Hill, Truro, Cornwall

Signature of informant -- [ - living - ] Northey

Date of Registration -- Eighteenth April 1980

This is the death certificate of the correct Harold Burnett, the place of birth is listed as Feock, Cornwall which is the same birth place mentioned for the Harold Burnett living with John Thomas Burnett in the 1901 and 1911 censuses.

The informant was his nephew on the Northey side of the family (his wife side of the family).

The address listed for the informant is his old address.

This nephew was born in 1944 and I checked the electoral rolls for 2012 and he is still listed there so he is still living.

The interesting thing is that he is listed under Saveock Mill, Greenbottom and i see the name Jacqueline Wood as one of the residences of that location. So she probably knows him.

I will be sending the information concerning this nephew to Sara (sarasuperid)

#29 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Burnett family

Starting to sort out the pieces of the puzzle of how Harold and May Burnett ties into the family.

Before now, all we know was that they were grandchildren of John T. and Mary E. Burnett.

But first some about John Thomas Burnett

John Thomas Burnett (1860-1935)

~ 1891

In 1891, Mary E. Burnett and her children were living at Old School in Feock, Cornwall. It is not known where her husband John T. Burnett was. He was away somewhere else at the time of when the 1891 census was taken.

From the 1891 census of Feock:

Old School 2 - Number of rooms occupied if less than five

Mary E Burnett…….… Head…. M… 32 F…………………………………… Cornwall Newlyn East
Mary E Burnett………. Daur………… 12 F……. Scholar…………………… Devon…. Plymouth
Elizabeth A Burnett… Daur…………. 11 F………. Do………………………….. Do…………. Do
Richard S D Burnett.. Son…………….. 9 M……… Do………………………. Cornwall… Feock
Jessie E Burnett…….. Daur……………. 2 F…………………………………………. Do………. Do

~ between 1898 and 1901

Somewhere between 1898 and 1901, the family moved to Greenbottom, Cornwall which is about a half mile away from Seveock Water.

~ 1901

In 1901, John T. and Mary E. Burnett are now living at Greenbottom in Kenwyn parish, Cornwall.

John T. Burnett is a carpenter and farmer.

From the 1901 census of Greenbottom, Kenwyn parish:

Green bottom

John T Burnett…… Head…. M… 40 M….. Carpenter and Farmer… Worker…….…. Cornwall St Just
Mary E. … Do:…….. Wife….. M… 41 F……………………………………………………………… Cornwall Newlyn East
Elizabeth A .. Do:… Daur:…. S…. 20 F….. Housemaid Domestic……………………..…. Devon Plymouth
Stuart D. …… Do:….Son……. S…. 19 M….. Gardener…………………… Own Account… Cornwall Feock
Jessie E. ……. Do:… Daur:…. S…. 12 F……………………………………………………………… Cornwall Feock
Harold………. Do:.. Grand Son.. S.. 2 M……………………………………………………………. Cornwall Feock

~ 1911

In 1911, John Thomas and Mary Ellen Burnett were living at Greenbottom Scorrier, Cornwall. John was listed as a Carpenter and Joiner.

Living with them was their grandchildren Harold and May Burnett.

From the 1911 census of Greenbottom:

No. of Schedule 71 or 72

John Thomas Burnett… Head… 51 M… Married 32 years… Carpenter & Joiner… Own Act… St Just Cornwall… British

Mary Ellen Burnett… Wife… 53 F… Married.. 4 children born alive / 3 still living / 1 who have died… Newlyn East Cornwall… British

Harold Burnett… Grand son… 12 M… at School… Feock Cornwall… British
May Burnett……. Grand daughter… 9 F……………. Kenwyn Cornwall British

Number of Rooms: … 4

Signature: …………….. John Thomas Burnett

Address: ……………….. Greenbottom Scorrier Cornwall

Next Post: More on Harold and May Burnett

#30 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

Recently I got the birth certificates of Harold Burnett and May Burnett.

They turned out to be cousins rather than brother and sister.

But the way they brought into this world were very similar……….

Harold Burnett (1898-1980)

Harold Burnett was born 25 September 1898 a son of Mary Ellen Burnett the oldest daughter of John Thomas Burnett.

From the copy of the birth certificate:

Registration District - Truro
1898 Birth in the Sub-district of Kea in the County of Cornwall

No. 296

When and where born / Name / Sex / Name of father / Name of mother / Occupation of father / informant / When registered / Registrar

Twenty-fifth September 1898 Old School House Feock R.D. / Harold / Boy / (-- blank --) / Mary Ellen Burnett (domestic servant) / (-- blank --) / M. E. Burnett Mother Old School House Feock / Fourth November 1898 / Nicholas Paull Registrar

The name of the father and his occupation was left blank in the birth certificate. Harold was born out of wedlock under mysterious circumstances.

May Burnett (1901-?)

May Burnett was born 4 April 1901 a daughter of Elizabeth Ann Burnett the 2nd daughter of John Thomas Burnett.

From the copy of the birth certificate:

Registration District - Truro
1901 Birth in the Sub-district of Kenwyn in the County of Cornwall

No. 412

When and where born / Name / Sex / Name of father / Name of mother / Occupation of father / informant / When registered / Registrar

Fourth April 1901 Greenbottom Kenwyn RD / May / Girl / (-- blank --) / Elizabeth Ann Burnett / (-- blank --) / X The mark of Elizabeth Ann Burnett Mother Greenbottom Kenwyn / Fifteenth May 1901 / R M Crapp Deputy Registrar

The name of the father and his occupation was left blank in the birth certificate. May Burnett was born out of wedlock under mysterious circumstances.

Both Harold and May Burnett were raised by the grandparents since they were very young.

Mary Ellen Burnett, whose son Harold was born in 1898, so far is not found in the 1901 and 1911 census of England.

I tried many spelling variations and no hits and without last names but with age and birthplaces in the searches no relevant entries were found.

Elizabeth Ann Burnett, whose daughter May was born in 1901, so far is not found in the 1911 census of England. Did the same type of searches and no relevant entries found.

One wonders if Mary and Elizabeth were the Burnett sisters that lived in Seveock Water?

They would have been in their 70's in the 1950's. But I haven't found any evidence to support it yet. I didn't find a death certificate for either in the area, it's possible they got sick and died in a hospital and would be in a different location.

The youngest daughter of John Thomas Burnett, Jessie Emily Burnett, married in 1909 to a William Charles Odgers and immediately moved to Canada. Charles Odgers went there two years earlier and came back to Cornwall to marry Jessie Burnett.

They settled in Saltcoats, Saskatchewan, Canada and they had two children according to 1911 and 1916 censuses of Canada.

I'm still waiting for the Wills of John Thomas Burnett, Harold Burnett, and Hilda Burnett. In hope they may shed some light on who were the "Burnett sisters" or whomever were living in the Burnett property in Saveock Water.

The 1935 Will of John Thomas Burnett may shed some light of where his daughters, Mary and Elizabeth went and if they married or not. Or perhaps they were the "Burnett sisters of Saveock Water".

I updated the website to include all the information found on the Burnett family so far to put it order.

Link: Saveock Water, Cornwall and the Burnett family

#31 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

How much is the will? I really should send you some money.

#32 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

I find it so fascinating that they were all born out of wedlock, could that have contributed to the rumor they were witches? Were they Witches Sabbath children? Maybe their dad was the man in black ;)

#33 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

How much is the will? I really should send you some money.

Thanks Sara but I already ordered the Wills a few weeks ago.

I find it so fascinating that they were all born out of wedlock, could that have contributed to the rumor they were witches? Were they Witches Sabbath children? Maybe their dad was the man in black ;)

Once we figure out who were the "Burnett sisters of Seveock Water" it may add to the story too especially if they were the mothers of those that were born out of wedlock. :cool_witch:

#34 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

The return to 1935 Saveock Water

This morning I was surprise to get a mail from England. It turned out to be the copy of the will of John Thomas Burnett that I ordered many months ago.

As mentioned earlier in the thread that J. T. Burnett died in 1935 and I wanted a copy of the will to find out any clues of who the "Burnett Sisters" were.

The Will:

This is the Last Will and Testament of me JOHN THOMAS BURNETT of Seveock in the Parish of Kenwyn in the County of Cornwall Carpenter

I direct all my just debts funeral and testamentary expense to be paid and I direct that the freehold tenement that I own at Seveock on which I now reside be sold and that Harold Burnett receive £60 and Elizabeth Ann Burnett £30 out of the purchase money and I give the balance of the purchase money to the said Harold Burnett and the said Elizabeth Ann Burnett and May Burnett all at present living with me in equal shares

And I also direct that my personal estate be divided equally between the aforesaid Harold Burnett Elizabeth Ann Burnett and May Burnett

I revoke all Wills at any time by me heretofore made and I appoint my said son Harold Burnett and my said daughter Elizabeth Ann Burnett Executors of this my Will

As Witness my hand this 29th day of January One thousand nine hundred and twenty three

John Thomas Burnett.

Signed and acknowledged by the above named John Thomas Burnett the Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto set our names as witnesses

Witness Richard Burnett Sunset Kea Mary Catherine Burnett Sunset Kea.

Probate granted at Bodmin 20th March 1935

I hereby certify the foregoing is a true copy compared and examined with the original this 23rd day of March 1935

Then the probate:

In his Majesty's High Court of Justice.

The District Probate Registry at Bodmin

Be it known that John Thomas Burnett of Seveock Kenwyn Cornwall died there on the 11th day of January 1935

… Administration of all the Estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to
Harold Burnett of Seveock aforesaid Labourer the surviving Executor named in the said Will.

Dated the 20th day of March 1935

Edited by The Exile, 26 January 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#35 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

As what was found out of the two documents listed above.

That the will was written by John Thomas Burnett in 1923 and he mentioned his grandson Harold Burnett, his daughter Elizabeth Ann Burnett, and his grandaughter May Burnett.

Elizabeth Ann Burnett was the mother of May Burnett and as of 1923 she was still with her maiden name at the age of 43.

So i was thinking that perhaps she may have been one of the Burnett sisters.

But then that was struck down because when the probate was granted to Harold Burnett in 1935, it mentioned that Harold Burnett was the sole survivor of the executors selected. Which mean that Elizabeth Ann Burnett who was also selected as the other Executor was already dead by 1935.

So the issue of who were the two woman described as the "Burnett sisters" that lived in Saveock Waters in the 1950's to 1980's still remains a mystery.

#36 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Does that just leave May?

#37 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

May Burnett and if you count Harold's wife, Hilda Burnett as the only ladies left but it is possible that some more relatives came back to Saveock after 1935 when the will was probated.